what about making Desjardins HC?

Old
04-04-2011, 12:20 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 25678
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Ericsson seems like a guy who could excel taking on a bigger role. He's young for an UFA, but I do know most Detroit fans hope to see him return to their blueline.
I'll start with the PK stuff...

Ericsson is basically Detroit's version of Fistric shorthanded. Eerily similar. Probably under-utilized (only ~1.4 TOI/60), but not overwhelming effective or ineffective either way (6.7 GA/60).

At even strength he's the Red Wings' #3 in TOI, ahead of both Lidstrom and Rafalski, surprisingly enough. Detroit though distributes their minutes much more evenly than Dallas who are quite top-heavy (and Woywitka-heavy ).

He's slightly sheltered with a neg QUALCOMP and pos QUALTEAM, but nowhere near say the way Niskanen was treated. Wouldn't read too much into that because Lidstrom is going to obviously always be out there in critical situations until he retires, thus suppressing his teammates' QUALCOMP numbers.

His GF/GA per 60 spread is a respectable +.05. Nothing to go crazy over on a team like Detroit, but good nevertheless. He's not really a big driver of the offense at the moment, a little like Grossman in that regard, but with much more potential to be a factor down the road because he's actually comfortable and prolific with using his shot (83 SOG).

So in conclusion, if Ken Holland loses his mind and forgets how to GM, then yes, we should try to sign him. Could even throw some serious money (3 mil+) at him if Richards leaves to help get to the floor and put Detroit in a corner. Probably would never get to that point though.

Old
04-04-2011, 01:35 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
I actually assumed their ability to re-sign Ericsson would hinge on Lidstrom's decision to retire or play another year.

However, you're 100% correct. There's no reason to not re-sign him. Their cap situation is excellent with or without Lidstrom. Assuming the cap goes up as reported, Detroit will have between $15 and $16 million to play with, and only Lidstrom and Ericsson as truly key players to re-sign. If Lidstrom does retire, they could have their pick of the current free agent crop on defense.

That sucks ....

Old
04-04-2011, 03:42 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
First off, assume anything I say in regards to the Stars future is contingent upon Brad Richards plying his trade elsewhere next season. I'm assuming that's the case, and at this point my stance is that, new owner or not, this team is better off rounding out the roster with Richards' salary. Which brings me to...

Trading a veteran may be necessary at some point, but realistically the only three around are Morrow, Ribeiro, and Robidas. I consider Robidas the most tradable of the three. I was hard on Morrow early in the season but he has really come back to show he can be close to what he was pre-injury of two seasons ago. He's the captain, etc. He also has chemistry and feels most comfortable on the ice with Ribeiro. IMO if you keep Morrow you keep Ribeiro. Working under the assumption that Brad is gone trading Ribeiro would be the height of idiocy. I see absolutely no point to it, especially given the fact that he's been one of the Stars' best players down the stretch.

Of the three, Robidas becomes the de facto odd man out, but that's only if you're intent on making a trade to change the complexion of things as well as bring in a new (possibly younger) body. I agree with Glu that Robidas is being overextended. The version of Robidas you would get on your second pairing as opposed to the first is significant.

To round out the roster (specifically the D-corps) and get to the cap floor I suggest going after one or both of Eric Brewer and Jan Hejda. Guys like Babchuk and Bieksa may also be of use and worth exploring. This D-corps has it's small guys for now, we need some snarl on the blueline, somebody who will whipe a mofo out in the crease if need be. Even a Shane O'Brien type for depth wouldn't be a bad idea.

Old
04-04-2011, 05:56 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

.... what about Hal Gill? I've only seen him a few times this year, but he looked OK from what I saw.

That's not really a good, young defensive defenseman I want to really see them commit to a long term contract. All the young, puck-moving defensemen are pipe dreams for this team. Well ... you could probably sign Ian White ..... but please don't. He's not horrible, but they have enough small guys who get abused.

Heck, I wouldn't have a problem with trying to go after an older D on an expiring contract like Sarich. I know signing or trading for an older D does nothing for the long-term improvement of the team, but he'd give them time to figure out of Nemeth is going to develop into that type of role or Fistric somehow gets in the teams good graces.

Old
04-04-2011, 06:05 PM
glovesave_35
Name

I haven't seen a whole lot of Hal Gill but he's one of the types of guys I was thinking. I'm not too worried about making sure every new player we get is a baby-face, especially if you see a specific immediate hole that could possibly be immediately filled by a veteran. Our D-corps doesn't have the moxy necessary to win in the West or in our own division.

Old
04-04-2011, 06:30 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinBinTexan View Post
what about making Desjardins HC?
I would love for that to happen.

Old
04-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

vCash: 513
After what's happened I don't know how Crawford still has a job next season. Horrible team conditioning, horrible line combos, and a pathetic team effort is all a coaches fault.

Old
04-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games Seen: 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
After what's happened I don't know how Crawford still has a job next season. Horrible team conditioning, horrible line combos, and a pathetic team effort is all a coaches fault.
They'll blame it on injuries. We all know they will.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
04-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

vCash: 513
I really hope you guys get to see how awesome Gulutzen is here in Austin, he needs to be coaching Dallas.

Old
04-10-2011, 07:47 PM
zapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamJET View Post
dont you star fans wish you guys could have unload richards at the deadline for some prime talent and picks?

especially now that the stars have very little chance of making the playoffs?
I thought someone was going to reply "but he's UFA so you're not going to get much".

But then I saw how much we got back for Kaberle; 1st round pick + Colborne(16th overall).

I'm really curious what offers Joe N. got for B.Richards.

Old
04-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Dirty Kari

Fire Crawford. He is clearly the problem. Our D-pairings make no sense. He has players out there in key situations that shouldn't be out there. This team has sucked in the 1st all season long. We try and hold on to 1 goal leads all game. Thats the coach's fault.

Old
04-10-2011, 08:06 PM
glovesave_35
Name

The coach DOES need to go. Whether or not that actually happens will tell me a lot about Nieuwendyk. As much as we all thought Krys heart-of-warrior Barch was going to be gone last offseason, I have zero faith that Woywitka will be let go. That guy is the absolute definition of a player who can step in for a game or two but who is NOT NHL caliber. I have seen enough of him in our sweater to make my stomach turn.

Old
04-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
They'll blame it on injuries. We all know they will.
We said the same thing in the 2009 offseason in regards to Tippett. So there is some hope.

Quote:
We try and hold on to 1 goal leads all game. Thats the coach's fault.
No, we still did that under Tippett.

Old
04-10-2011, 08:19 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
We said the same thing in the 2009 offseason in regards to Tippett. So there is some hope.
...which was legitimate that time, much moreso than this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
No, we still did that under Tippett.
Except we did it a lot better under Tippett. That guy can flat out coach.

Old
04-10-2011, 08:27 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
I'd rather have Tip then Crawford.

I really hope he is gone, same with Hicks, and a lot of other people.

Old
04-10-2011, 08:29 PM
catters078

We need to upgrade our physical shut down defenseman..

I have a feeling Grossman will turn into a mini Glassorik and will become injury proned..

but I really doubt we do anything with players...we have no money and nieuwendyk is "content" with this group..

Old
04-10-2011, 09:02 PM
glovesave_35
Name

That six year deal for Daley looks quite a bit less palatable today than it did when we first heard about it. Some major re-working is needed on the backend. If Wildcat is roaming our blueline again I may have to check out for a season or two.

Old
04-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Letting go of Crawford will have more to do with the lenders than anyone else. I am nearly positive his contract has more years on it, and if that's the case, it will cost a good amount of money to buy out the remaining years.

Old
04-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
The coach DOES need to go. Whether or not that actually happens will tell me a lot about Nieuwendyk. As much as we all thought Krys heart-of-warrior Barch was going to be gone last offseason, I have zero faith that Woywitka will be let go. That guy is the absolute definition of a player who can step in for a game or two but who is NOT NHL caliber. I have seen enough of him in our sweater to make my stomach turn.
I won't be surprised if Langenbrunner, Woywitka, and Crawford are still here next season. The Stars will need to spend some money in order to make the cap floor and the easy move would be to give out new deals to Langenbrunner and Woywitka.

Old
04-10-2011, 09:12 PM
glovesave_35
Name

One more year on his contract. Who knows how things will work out in the offseason but same ol' same ol' isn't going to bring fans to games to put money in their pockets.

Old
04-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games Seen: 13

vCash: 1495
I'm going to go absolutely bat ***** crazy if Woywitka is re-signed.

Old
04-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Captain Awesome

I'm not sure if I can take a year more of Woywitka, that would be absolutely ridiculous.

Old
04-10-2011, 09:25 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
I'm going to go absolutely bat ***** crazy if Woywitka is re-signed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I'm not sure if I can take a year more of Woywitka, that would be absolutely ridiculous.
I agree. Didn't we all think he sucked for 95% of the season though? And there he was getting 18-20 mins/gm down the stretch. The dude AVERAGED 18 mins/gm this year. Let that sink in. He played almost 1/3rd of the game in 63 of 82 games this year.

Old
04-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 185
I really, really hope Joe Nieuwendyk has a plan to fix our blueline and prevent someone like Woywitka (i.e. a player who has no business being there) from playing 20+ minutes a night.