HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Back Seat Coaching: How to Fix the NYR Powerplay?

Old
04-10-2011, 07:21 PM
rody

vCash: 500
have Girardi and McCabe on the points. you need a right and a left shot , it is easier for one timers. and Girardi is a little smarter .
Boyle Prust and Gaborik up front. you need players that will dig in the corners and get Gabbi the puck.
Use the points and move.

rody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 10:41 PM
satrabyk

Skilled guys need to be on the PP, that means Zucc, Gaborik, Dubi should start on the 1st line DruryAnisimov/Prospal/Christ on second line. I kno everyone wants to just crash the net but too take adv of a extra guy you need the skill to create the 2 on 1 and make plays. I dont think having Prospal and Drury on the starting line is the solution, but with Torts style that might be what he employes.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 10:48 PM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
--------------------net--------------------
----------------------Boyle/Drury----------------------

Prospal ---------------------------------------------------------Gaborik

McDonagh-------------------------------------

-----------------McCabe

Gaborik and McCabe on their offwing for some one-times. Prospal and McDonagh setting them up. Drury or Boyle in front of the net screening and looking for tips. K.I.S.S.

04-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Norwegian
Pitbull Sniper

How come no one wants the guy with the most pp assists on the pp lineup? Seems to me that would be a good idea if your strugling...

Norwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:39 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post

-----------------McCabe

Gaborik and McCabe on their offwing for some one-times. Prospal and McDonagh setting them up. Drury or Boyle in front of the net screening and looking for tips. K.I.S.S.
i basically hate everything about this PP. one reason is it makes it so easy for the defnders to send one winger semi- high and restrict your offense to one side of the ice. secondly it guarantees shots from the halfboard area of the circles, or the point EVERYTIME. No faking the shot from the point and hitting Gabby down low for him to slide it across the crease/into the slot etc.

Slide the guy playing McD's spot into the middle of the ice just above the hashmarks, and have either Prospal or Gabby come out high when they're weak side (the puck is on the other side), while the other slides down to the bottom of the circle.

This way you always have the option of switching sides by either passing across/up top through the defense/ or with the winger sending it around the behind the net, allowing the center to release to the opposite corner and retrieve, now-weak-side winger goes in front.

Aside from the option of running the PP from either side, it also allows you to run the PP from either high or low.

and forces teams to defend a point shot, a one-timer from the weak side winger, a one-timer from the slotted d-man, a deflection from the slotted d-man, a fake shot/pass down low for either a short side high shot or a pass into/across the crease.

Also this gives the goalie 2 additional bodies in front of his vision, as the slotted d-man is there + whoever bodies up on him to take away the one-timer. As opposed to your more traditional shooting PP that only has the center in the shooting lane, and only requires 1 defender to play him, and that's only when a shot is incoming since the shooting PP has very little movement to allow a pass to that low center.

And I'll throw in that it allows the slotted defender to help put pressure on the puck in case of loose puck or turnover, where the shooting PP requires all players to get into their lanes and allows only 1 forechecker head on and one forechecker from the backside, where this PP allows 2 forecheckers front pressure.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 04:37 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post

-----------------McCabe

Boyle in front and McCabe shooting is a pretty good start, everything else doesn't really matter.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:10 PM
CoventryBlaze

First of all, they need to enter the zone better. Far too many times they have just dumped it into the corner only to have the defense easily send it straight back down.
Quality not quantity in terms of passing.
I can't really explain the 'streaky' aspect of our powerplay.

And for Steven's powerplay. I'd have Staal over McDonagh, placed in the middle behind Boyle/Drury. Or push Prospal/Dubi play further down playing pucks into the gap between the face off circles and have Gaborik or Christensen instead of Staal/McDonagh play there.

CoventryBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote