HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A letter to Rutherford

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I agree with the comment above, that you would do better to ask for a specific response within reasonable limits. To me, if I were in JR's shoes, any letter demanding changes on the ice would receive a nice canned response from an intern. The front office wants to win even more than we do... for us it's a hobby, for them it's a livelihood. So, don't condescend to ask about the PP or draft choices or whatever. Ask about matters where your opinion holds weight -- ticket prices/options, community interaction, promotions, incentives, etc. Otherwise it's a waste of your time as a mere fan to write a letter of complaint.
That's my problem though. I don't care about ticket prices, community interactions, promotions, etc. Let JR do whatever he likes with that.

I care about the performance on home ice, and that's what I'd like to address and hopefully get a non-canned, non-lipservice response about. Nowhere did I make demands regarding the coach, the powerplay, or the on-ice personal. I know that demanding anything will get the letter thrown away.

Old
04-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Bomb View Post
Not an excuse, unless the Canes team aren't professionals themselves. Games at home should be, at the very least, competitive. There's zero reason why they shouldn't be, especially if there's a decent crowd in the building. So to get shutout in the first two home games of the season, that's not going to work.

I don't expect 41 wins at home, but I expect the losses that happen at home to be because the Canes played hard and lost, not because they didn't show up until mid-way through the 2nd and only after the 3rd goal was scored.

In the 13 seasons the team has been in Carolina (excluding the lockout), they've made the playoffs 5 times. A poor number in and of itself. But add to the fact that of the 8 times they missed the playoffs, twice they had the chance to make it, at home, on the last game of the season. Yeah, that's not exactly fan appreciation.

And unless you were at those games, don't speak about being spoiled. To go through it once was unbelievable. To have it happen again, there are no words.

No where did I claim I was going to stop showing up for the games as well. I love the sport and the Canes are the closest outlet for the professional variety. I simply said if the team doesn't start taking home ice more seriously, if the organization stops being so hypocritical as far as what they say about the fans and what they actually give the fans as far as what's put on the ice, don't be surprised if the fans return the favor.
Dude, I'm not going to flame you, but you deserve to be. Badly.

Instead, I'll give you a reasonable response.

The coaching staff and the players want to win much more than you do. Much more. I can't even tell you how much more, because there are no words to describe the enormity of the chasm that exists between your "want" and theirs.

Do you have children? If so, your neighbors probably like your kids, and would most likely put themselves out for them. They'd likely miss a day of work, or give up a date night, etc., if your kids were in trouble and they were the only ones who could help. But, would they put their lives in danger for your kids? Would they risk death? Probably not. But you sure as hell would.

Get it?

You remind me of my college coach. He would act so upset if the team played badly, and would make it a habit of yelling at players, mid-round, to express his frustration. Problem was, this wasn't a "coach yelling at players" sport. It was golf. He acted like he cared more about my round than I did. Does that make sense? Of course not. I care the most about my game, by far.

You're doing the same thing with the Hurricanes. And it's really, really funny. In a bad way.

Old
04-10-2011, 10:11 PM
totaltank

OK, I tried giving you a reasonable answer -- as have others -- and you just dug your heels in deeper. This "letter" is inane. I can tell you as somebody who has worked for an NHL team, that this letter has a *much* bigger chance of ending up getting framed and hung on a wall in the break room for employees to laugh at, than it does getting within three floors of Jim Rutherford's office.

Old
04-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Didn't really expect much help from the board in the first place. But I got some advice as how to improve it, so I guess I'll take that silver lining and ignore the rest.

Old
04-10-2011, 10:18 PM
totaltank

My open letter to Jim Rutherford:

Dear Mr. Rutherford,

MO MUST GO

Sincerely,
totalkev

P.S. And you'd better hope that your buddy Pete doesn't accidentally sell 50.1 percent of the club, cuz lots of owners (who aren't your best friend) would be seriously looking at kicking your sorry a$$ to the curb as well.

Old
04-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

And if you believe the letter to be anything akin to demanding the firing of a coach, it's no wonder you found it to be inane.

Barring an angry mob of burning Mo effigies, fans don't have that kind of power. And even then, JR would probably stick to his guns.

Old
04-10-2011, 10:35 PM
totaltank

Quote:
And if you believe the letter to be anything akin to demanding the firing of a coach, it's no wonder you found it to be inane.

Barring an angry mob of burning Mo effigies, fans don't have that kind of power. And even then, JR would probably stick to his guns.
Dude, you may as well be asking him to cut off his own pinky. There's nothing he can do about anything in your letter. What do you want him to say?

"Yes AB. You're right. There's no excuse for the way we played those two games. I will immediately begin work on some kind of time travel. Once we've harnessed the technology, instead of using it to right some of the biggest wrongs in the history of the planet (the Holocaust and several assassinations immediately spring to mind), we'll go back three years and get a do-over on that first one. We'll try it as many times as possible until we satisfy your irrational desire to have us play to some unreasonable combination of energy, will and success at home.

While I get to work on that (please realize this could take a while), please enjoy 20 percent off at The Eye (now with three convenient Triangle locations) for the next six hours."

Old
04-10-2011, 10:56 PM
Discipline Daddy
NHL All star Aucoin

I wanted to add that, no offense, but I think this letter is not worth your time. It's incredibly frustrating for the team to have lost last night's game, but it's inevitable that you're going to lose some games.

I only watched the first two periods (before I went and saw Dr. Dog - great concert!), but it was clear to me that the Canes didn't not care. They had some nerves and once Tampa got the early lead they "cheated" as another poster said. Rather than work as a team, the guys tried to do more on their own and Tampa capitalized on some mistakes we don't normally make.

Is this unfortunate? Of course. However, the fact that we were trying so hard and that we put up 44 shots on goal is indicative that the players do care. After the game, the fans go home and go to work a few days later. For the players, they are left with the devastating fact that work is over for them and they fell short of their goal. Eric Staal had 6 shots on goal on Saturday and 10 in the season finale loss to Florida in 2008. He may appear to be lazy because of his skating, but I can guarantee you Eric is probably going to be angry at himself for weeks after losing this game. The other players I'm sure feel the same way (except Pitkanen - he's a soft Euro who actually prefers losing ). Their entire lives are dedicated to winning hockey games, whereas for us it's a hobby.

As fans, we don't deserve anything, really. We pay money for the games and it's a choice. Thank the Lord we don't root for a franchise like Florida who encourages other teams to come to the games or throws a party on the last game of the season when they finish with the 3rd worst record in the NHL (they did last year, seriously). But even if we did, it'd be our choice to pay for those games. If the team sucks, then don't go to the games. Complaining that the team should win a game they didn't is pointless. Complaining about a more tangible reason for losing (i.e. coaching, trades, ice times, or performance of individual players) is something else entirely.

Incidentally, in the letter you complain that the Canes lost 2 games with everything on the line. However, you fail to mention the two game 7s in 2006 (which were played at home), in which we had MORE on the line and we did win. Oh yeah, and the other 2 game 7s in 2009 we won (but those were on the road so they may not count) and the 3 game 6s we won in 2002.

Old
04-11-2011, 12:29 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

I'm not sure where the thought process of "The players don't care" comes from, since I'm fairly certain it wasn't in my letter. Looking over it again, I've got "commentary on fan loyalty", "discussion of past events", "repeating history", and "hypocritical lipservice", but "not caring" isn't a part of it.

If the players care more about the well-being of this team than the fans (and I'm sure they do. Their paychecks depend on it.), and if they take losses like the one Saturday harder than the fans (and I really think that depends on the two people being compared), then how do they allow something like Saturday to happen. Again. There's zero reason the players that went through 08 would allow it to happen again, if they took that 08 loss harder than the fans.

Either way, I'll clean the letter up, maybe make the message a little clearer, ask a couple questions to give him something to respond to (assuming I don't get blown off completely), and wait a couple weeks to send it off. I'll keep the board updated if I get a response. Any JR commentary that's not etched in doublespeak would be refreshing.

Old
04-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Do you honestly think that, if it was in their power, the players would have let what happened on Saturday occur??

If all that was needed was to care for the wellbeing of each other and the fans, then we would be in the playoffs right now.

Old
04-11-2011, 12:48 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

But it was in their power. It was in their power to not allow what happened Saturday to happen, and yet it happened.

I'm not sure why their play suddenly turned to **** that night, but let's not act like they played well. They really didn't get a good grasp on the game until after it was already 3-0, and even then, good portions of even-strength play was controlled by Tampa.

And yes, it's Tampa and they're a playoff team, but that didn't prevent Carolina from shutting out a much more dangerous playoff team in Detroit just a few days earlier. And I don't remember a single breakaway/odd man rush that game, compared to the multitude on Saturday.

Old
04-11-2011, 01:48 AM
wombat

Quote:
If the players care more about the well-being of this team than the fans (and I'm sure they do. Their paychecks depend on it.), and if they take losses like the one Saturday harder than the fans (and I really think that depends on the two people being compared), then how do they allow something like Saturday to happen. Again. There's zero reason the players that went through 08 would allow it to happen again, if they took that 08 loss harder than the fans.
This has got to be one of the dumbest posts i've ever seen on HF and that is truly saying something. What are you talking about 'allowing' it to happen. Did the Caps 'allow' the Habs to beat them last year? Did the number 1 seed Bruins 'allow' the Canes to beat them in 09? There are two teams playing in every game, the teams compete and thats it. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. That's sports and its pretty simple.

And why the hell do you keep bringing up the end of 08. The shots were 46-17 in favor of Carolina you're out of you mind if you think they 'allowed' the Panthers to win. That game has no bearing or relevance to anything. They couldn't have played any harder or better they just ran into hot goaltending

Quote:
I'm not sure why their play suddenly turned to **** that night, but let's not act like they played well. They really didn't get a good grasp on the game until after it was already 3-0, and even then, good portions of even-strength play was controlled by Tampa.
Hmm so you mean the performance of the other team has a bearing on the result of the game? Interesting, I thought it only came down to Carolina deciding if they are going to allow the other team to win or not.

Quote:
And yes, it's Tampa and they're a playoff team, but that didn't prevent Carolina from shutting out a much more dangerous playoff team in Detroit just a few days earlier. And I don't remember a single breakaway/odd man rush that game, compared to the multitude on Saturday.
Ignoring the fact that the Canes 'shutting down' Detroit consisted of giving up 40 shots and having Ward stand on his head, I have to wonder if you have ever played sports before. Athletes don't perform exactly the same way and the fact that every game is unique is surprising to you? I honestly cannot believe what I'm reading. This is beyond ridiculous. With your logic in in the playoffs the team that wins Game 1 should also win games 2, 3, and 4 and by the same exact score, correct?

Quote:
Either way, I'll clean the letter up, maybe make the message a little clearer, ask a couple questions to give him something to respond to (assuming I don't get blown off completely), and wait a couple weeks to send it off. I'll keep the board updated if I get a response. Any JR commentary that's not etched in doublespeak would be refreshing.
You can't honestly that self-important to be expecting the GM of an NHL team to read and respond can you?

Old
04-11-2011, 02:03 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat View Post
And why the hell do you keep bringing up the end of 08. The shots were 46-17 in favor of Carolina you're out of you mind if you think they 'allowed' the Panthers to win. That game has no bearing or relevance to anything. They couldn't have played any harder or better they just ran into hot goaltending
You're kidding, right? Are you just going off stats, or did you actually watch that game? To say that "couldn't have played better" when they ALLOWED 4 goals on 17 shots? So you're saying they couldn't have prevented the 3-on-1 that led to the 2nd goal in that game? Or the breakaway that led to the 3rd? Or the shorthanded game-winning goal? None of that could have been prevented. Good to know.

Same deal with Saturday night. They couldn't have played better, when they allowed the Lecavalier breakaway or the Stamkos oddman rush? Don't spread that bull. They certainly could have played better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat View Post
You can't honestly that self-important to be expecting the GM of an NHL team to read and respond can you?
Hence why I said I expect to get blown off completely and I'll post IF I get a response. Please, try and keep up.

Old
04-11-2011, 07:58 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
That's my problem though. I don't care about ticket prices, community interactions, promotions, etc. Let JR do whatever he likes with that.

I care about the performance on home ice, and that's what I'd like to address and hopefully get a non-canned, non-lipservice response about. Nowhere did I make demands regarding the coach, the powerplay, or the on-ice personal. I know that demanding anything will get the letter thrown away.
Honestly, unless you have a media credential, you are not going to get a personal response having to do with on-ice issues. There are probably 100,000 people who would want to talk shop with Jim Rutherford if it was that simple.

As it is, he probably hates having to do it with the few people who get that kind of access... it's like sitting down with your customers and talking about how you should have written your TPS report BEFORE faxing that invoice. It's got to be painfully repetitive and condescending for him.

Anyway, others have said it but I think you're pretty far off base as to why they lost on Saturday. Lecavalier, St Louis and Gagne scored 7 points. Smith made 42 saves. If it was a simple task to beat Tampa, they wouldn't be in 5th place. Sometimes willpower just isn't enough, especially when the other team specializes in converting mistakes.

Old
04-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Joe McGrath

I'd just like to mention that 2 teams in the West had control of their own fate yesterday for the 8th seed.....and they both lost to teams with nothing to play for. That's not an excuse or anything, just saying it could happen to anyone(including the defending Stanley Cup Champions).

Old
04-11-2011, 09:32 AM
totaltank

This thread is the biggest inconvenience to electrons of all time.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

Honestly, I just don't see the point of sending a letter like this. I understand your frustration, but this just isn't the way to handle it.

Much more constructive would be a letter saying we enjoyed seeing a lot of the new young talent playing this season and overachieving in a rebuild year, but since we ended up so close asking JR to go out and get the necessary pieces in free agency that would make them a team that could compete for the Cup next season. (Though that would likely be a waste of time looking back on the history of the Canes in FA...)

This isn't really comparable to 08. That season the Canes had been in playoff position and completely collapsed at the end to allow the Caps (who were a polar opposite on fire) to steal their hopes away.

Some may want to go back to the thread about playoff avatars this season where most on this board were saying the team was going to bomb its way down to as low as 13th in the East. I could see 9th place as being the final destination back then. Maybe that's why I'm not so upset now. I knew they'd go on a run to get back into contention, but I never expected much more than it coming down to the last game of the season. This team finally got rid of a lot of dead weight this season and played a bunch of the young guys like we've been hoping for the past few years. We've rounded the corner. Now is the time to push forward. Next season it is time to win.

That's the message that is needed. Not "you better play better at home or we'll stop showing up!" My response to a letter like that would be "Really? Wow, and here I thought you fans were like Toronto's. I guess we better start winning."

Closed Thread