HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Desharnais - I don`t get it !

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-10-2011, 08:16 PM
  #51
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
thanks for the support ....this is lunacy

we have been whining for years about a small team and we add another midget to a small team

folks I have no issue with DD ...its just the fit

the dude is 25 not 20 or a proven scorer in Gionta who can play on anyone`s top 6

he is not Marchand who plays 6`4" and can play top 6 ....he is a depth filler

he isnt a smallish Mikael Granlund a legit top 10 pick you are waiting to to become possibly a legit center in a few years

he is an career AHL`r where he belongs and is only a cup of coffee player at this stage

how can we play him more than a legit Eller who we all agree has the tools

this is BS hab fans ....and it goes on every year

Eller....Dags....etc... cant get minutes but we are playing dudes like Pyatt ...DD..and MAB types like they are going to provide us with anything
I am glad the Habs or DD doesnt have the same defeatist attitude as you. Let me ask you something...does DD hurt the team? Does he provide a more positive aspect than negative?

My answer is yes, he brings skill to the lineup that is lacking, particularly on the bottom 6. He fits in with the style well.

No he isnt 20, but who cares? Its his first season in the NHL and he is more than capable of staying with the club.

But it seems like you are more concerned with his size, than what he brings to the table.

Are you gonna back up any of your arguments with evidence, or are you just gonna use your preconcieved and short-sighted opinions to bash him?

That is why you get trolled, because your posts are not worth NOT getting trolled. Maybe if you post with some tact you would be better recieved.

DD plays more than Eller because he is a more experienced and developed player. IE he knows how to excute the game plan in front of him better. He doesnt cheaply give away the puck and isnt prone to making as many mistakes as Eller. Eller will learn, and maybe one day pass DD, but not now. This is how you have a competitive team, everyone takes their lumps, and if you are too weak to do so, your not the player we want.

That is Dagger for you, nothing is given to you on a silver platter, except in ST. Louis where their depth is putrid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
You might be right about DD, but you don't enhance your credibility by ragging on Tom Pyatt. Desharnais was not drafted, while Pyatt was a two-time WJC champ.

Pyatt provides superior defensive ability, with above-average NHL speed and a high level of discipline.

MAB was not re-signed, but I agree he is mediocre.
Haha, your hard on lately for Pyatt is humourous.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 08:25 PM
  #52
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
thanks for the support ....this is lunacy

we have been whining for years about a small team and we add another midget to a small team

folks I have no issue with DD ...its just the fit

the dude is 25 not 20 or a proven scorer in Gionta who can play on anyone`s top 6

he is not Marchand who plays 6`4" and can play top 6 ....he is a depth filler

he isnt a smallish Mikael Granlund a legit top 10 pick you are waiting to to become possibly a legit center in a few years
Thats right he isn't these players. He's David Desharnais.



Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
he is an career AHL`r where he belongs and is only a cup of coffee player at this stage

how can we play him more than a legit Eller who we all agree has the tools

this is BS hab fans ....and it goes on every year

Eller....Dags....etc... cant get minutes but we are playing dudes like Pyatt ...DD..and MAB types like they are going to provide us with anything
This career AHLer had a superior PPG than our dear Scott Gomez. He also outscored Eller even by playing almost half as many games.

Would you rather have Maxim Lapierre?

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 08:39 PM
  #53
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Haha, your hard on lately for Pyatt is humourous.
Not really lately, sir.

I have been impressed by his play since I first saw him in the preseason of 2009-2010.

I then went back and watched games from the World Junior Championships of 2006 and 2007. He really helped those teams.

So when he played well in the 2010 SC Playoffs, I was not surprised or shocked. It just confirmed what I already knew about the player.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 08:40 PM
  #54
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Not really lately, sir.

I have been impressed by his play since I first saw him in the preseason of 2009-2010.

I then went back and watched games from the World Junior Championships of 2006 and 2007. He really helped those teams.

So when he played well in the 2010 SC Playoffs, I was not surprised or shocked. It just confirmed what I already knew about the player.
I know, I like him too and agree with everything you say. But you have to admit you have been much more vocal about it lately, haha.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 08:44 PM
  #55
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I know, I like him too and agree with everything you say. But you have to admit you have been much more vocal about it lately, haha.
I thought about getting more vocal when Jacques Martin started to listen to the peanut gallery and began sitting him out regularly ....... with disappointing results.

But the last straw was the Dawes versus Pyatt thread. It just seemed like the posters here were finding ever more players to rank above Pyatt, when the results of benching him in favour of other bottom-sixers were ALREADY poor.

I do apologize for sounding like a broken record!

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:36 AM
  #56
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,876
vCash: 1707
im trolling because your post is badly written, biased to the extreme and free of even the most basic facts.

Quote:
folks the dude has no purpose on this team ...he has struggled big time down the stretch
ok, so he goes through a slump and we have to dump him, is that right? so by that rational we should have dumped Subban before Christmas? oh, he's a rookie so that's ok? well, so is DD. or should we have traded Gionta for a bag of used pucks because he had a bad start? double standard.

and im not even talking the quality of his wingers.

Quote:
his stats are ok ...just ok ? its not as if we have the next St.Louis here
probably not, nobody in their right mind will say that this is what we have. although i'll say this (GP - G - A - P - PIM):
199899 Saint John Flames AHL 53 28 34 62 30
199899 Calgary Flames NHL 13 1 1 2 10
199900 Saint John Flames AHL 17 15 11 26 14
199900 Calgary Flames NHL 56 3 15 18 22
200001 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 78 18 22 40 12
200102 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 53 16 19 35 20
200203 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 82 33 37 70 32

this is the stats of the almighty Martin St-Louis. notice a patten here? dominates the ahl but struggles in the nhl. took st-louis a good 4 seasons to become the player that he is today.

here is another set of stats:
200910 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 60 27 51 78 23
200910 Montreal Canadiens NHL 6 0 1 1 0
2010-11 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 35 10 35 45 24
2010-11 Montreal Canadiens NHL 43 8 14 22 12

those are the stats of Desharnais. see a pattern? i do. im certainly not saying that we are sitting on the next martin st-louis here, but what those stats mean that right now, he's 40 odd point player playing 3rd/4th line minute and playing with 3rd/4th line quality wingers.

Quote:
he is a nice depth filler but this management team simply will stick with players who have no role moving forward
he's got no role? right now, his role is supplementary scoring and checking. which he is doing very well by the way. do you really think that anybody else would be producing more if they were to replace him?

at this point im not even sure pleks could wake pouliot up

and come to think of it: what do you think is the role of the 3rd and 4th line?

Quote:
he cant play on a bottom 6 with his defensive liabilities and isnt good enough to get a top 2 center role but he plays regularly and while we should be developing other players who maybe part of the team one day long term
see, this is where you losing whatever credibility you might have had before. defensive liability? really? do you even watch the games or just blindly follow whatever you read/hear/watch in the media? or maybe his 5'7 frame hides the tv set so you can't quite follow what's going on?

Quote:
he plays more minutes and more PP than Eller who has all the tools to be a top 6 and clearly fits in long term
has it ever occurred to you that he plays more pp minutes than eller because he simply IS better than eller on the pp at this point?

and who's to say he's not in the future plans of the canadiens at this point? he's played 43 games.

Quote:
he is your classic MAB but a forward ....bouncing from team to team
really? he's "bouncing from team to team"? are you aware that the canadiens is his first team in the nhl right? oh, and to indulge your ignorance even more, i checked: 4 teams in his entire pro career starting in chicoutimi.

Quote:
Dawes is a much better player and he has the same type of depth filler status
say who?

oh, and to indulge you again, i checked, 5 NHL team in his entire career! i thought you didn't like players that bounce from team to team?

and his career high is 32 points. DD would have more than that if he had played a full season.

Quote:
we play Pyatt for 2 seasons yet White who is a solid warrior on the 4th line cant make the team ....what role does Pyatt have with us ? upside ....none ?
and now pyatt doesn't have a role with us?

i've had enough of your ignorant drivel

comfort yourself in the knowledge that i just wasted 20 minutes of my life to prove you're full of it

peace

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:20 AM
  #57
Redux91
I do Three bullets.
 
Redux91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,386
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
im trolling because your post is badly written, biased to the extreme and free of even the most basic facts.



ok, so he goes through a slump and we have to dump him, is that right? so by that rational we should have dumped Subban before Christmas? oh, he's a rookie so that's ok? well, so is DD. or should we have traded Gionta for a bag of used pucks because he had a bad start? double standard.

and im not even talking the quality of his wingers.



probably not, nobody in their right mind will say that this is what we have. although i'll say this (GP - G - A - P - PIM):
199899 Saint John Flames AHL 53 28 34 62 30
199899 Calgary Flames NHL 13 1 1 2 10
199900 Saint John Flames AHL 17 15 11 26 14
199900 Calgary Flames NHL 56 3 15 18 22
200001 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 78 18 22 40 12
200102 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 53 16 19 35 20
200203 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 82 33 37 70 32

this is the stats of the almighty Martin St-Louis. notice a patten here? dominates the ahl but struggles in the nhl. took st-louis a good 4 seasons to become the player that he is today.

here is another set of stats:
200910 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 60 27 51 78 23
200910 Montreal Canadiens NHL 6 0 1 1 0
2010-11 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 35 10 35 45 24
2010-11 Montreal Canadiens NHL 43 8 14 22 12

those are the stats of Desharnais. see a pattern? i do. im certainly not saying that we are sitting on the next martin st-louis here, but what those stats mean that right now, he's 40 odd point player playing 3rd/4th line minute and playing with 3rd/4th line quality wingers.



he's got no role? right now, his role is supplementary scoring and checking. which he is doing very well by the way. do you really think that anybody else would be producing more if they were to replace him?

at this point im not even sure pleks could wake pouliot up

and come to think of it: what do you think is the role of the 3rd and 4th line?



see, this is where you losing whatever credibility you might have had before. defensive liability? really? do you even watch the games or just blindly follow whatever you read/hear/watch in the media? or maybe his 5'7 frame hides the tv set so you can't quite follow what's going on?



has it ever occurred to you that he plays more pp minutes than eller because he simply IS better than eller on the pp at this point?

and who's to say he's not in the future plans of the canadiens at this point? he's played 43 games.



really? he's "bouncing from team to team"? are you aware that the canadiens is his first team in the nhl right? oh, and to indulge your ignorance even more, i checked: 4 teams in his entire pro career starting in chicoutimi.



say who?

oh, and to indulge you again, i checked, 5 NHL team in his entire career! i thought you didn't like players that bounce from team to team?

and his career high is 32 points. DD would have more than that if he had played a full season.



and now pyatt doesn't have a role with us?

i've had enough of your ignorant drivel

comfort yourself in the knowledge that i just wasted 20 minutes of my life to prove you're full of it

peace
ill have to agree with you bigtime

but just because its happened to a similar player in st louis doesnt mean it will happen again

BUT, its a very good comparison, and st louis RLY didnt get all that great until he was something like 28 yrs old! and desharnais is 24, so i think its definately worth taking a shot on him to stay a while, weve SEEN flashes of brilliance

and the same can be said about eller, we CAN move on with plekanec eller and desharnais as 3 centers, its gomez thats the problem, martin cant HELP but keep giving him our star wingers to play with, the team will not get over any humps until gomez is the official 3rd line center playing with guys like moen and darche, or until he is off the team

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:35 AM
  #58
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
we CAN move on with plekanec eller and desharnais as 3 centers, its gomez thats the problem, martin cant HELP but keep giving him our star wingers to play with, the team will not get over any humps until gomez is the official 3rd line center playing with guys like moen and darche, or until he is off the team
The hump used to be the second round. The team could never get past the second round. Last year, we did, with Gomez playing the #1 center role. Not too shabby.

Now maybe we won't win a Cup while Gomez is here, but maybe we won't win one in the next three years anyway.

However, I do think I could see the following lines in 1-2 years:

#1 Scoring line 18 minutes
Plekanec-Leblanc-Cammalleri

#2 Scoring line 18 minutes
Eller-Kostitsyn-Pacioretty

3rd line, in 2-way role 14 minutes
Gomez-Gionta-Pyatt

4th line/specialists
Desharnais-White-Darche

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:59 AM
  #59
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
The hump used to be the second round. The team could never get past the second round. Last year, we did, with Gomez playing the #1 center role. Not too shabby.

Now maybe we won't win a Cup while Gomez is here, but maybe we won't win one in the next three years anyway.

However, I do think I could see the following lines in 1-2 years:

#1 Scoring line 18 minutes
Plekanec-Leblanc-Cammalleri

#2 Scoring line 18 minutes
Eller-Kostitsyn-Pacioretty

3rd line, in 2-way role 14 minutes
Gomez-Gionta-Pyatt

4th line/specialists
Desharnais-White-Darche
How exactly is Leblanc finding his way on the top line in a year or two?
Also, Gionta is about a 30goal scorer, why is he on the 3rd line with Pyatt playing 14min a game??

DD has been producing at a very decent pace, better than Eller actually. I personally prefer Eller. Not simply because of his size, but I feel he'll become a much more complete player. However, if DD keeps having the success he's had these past few years, then I don't know what his upside really is. The guy has been improving significantly over the past few years. He could very well become a late bloomer (already kind of is).

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:20 AM
  #60
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
How exactly is Leblanc finding his way on the top line in a year or two?
Also, Gionta is about a 30goal scorer, why is he on the 3rd line with Pyatt playing 14min a game??

DD has been producing at a very decent pace, better than Eller actually. I personally prefer Eller. Not simply because of his size, but I feel he'll become a much more complete player. However, if DD keeps having the success he's had these past few years, then I don't know what his upside really is. The guy has been improving significantly over the past few years. He could very well become a late bloomer (already kind of is).
For Leblanc, I am hoping for a similar progression to Subban's, cup of coffee in NHL next year, solid results the following year.

As for Gionta, there is no shame in playing the counter-punching role, in fact he is VERY good at it. If he does not slow down in the next two years, he can still get PP time and end up with more minutes than Pyatt.

If Eller develops as his potential indicates, and Leblanc is the real thing, while Pacioretty is back to form, we could have three very solid lines with good two-way players on all of them.

A top-9 that compares favourably with the one that won two playoff rounds last year sounds good to me. Eller replacing Moore and more, Leblanc replacing Lapierre and more, Pacioretty replacing Moen and MUCH more, yeah this sounds GREAT, actually.

Then add DD for special teams, Ryan White for toughness and Mathieu Darche for solid 4th line play with the ability to pot a goal now and then, and we are off to the races.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:25 AM
  #61
Redux91
I do Three bullets.
 
Redux91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,386
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
For Leblanc, I am hoping for a similar progression to Subban's, cup of coffee in NHL next year, solid results the following year.

As for Gionta, there is no shame in playing the counter-punching role, in fact he is VERY good at it. If he does not slow down in the next two years, he can still get PP time and end up with more minutes than Pyatt.

If Eller develops as his potential indicates, and Leblanc is the real thing, while Pacioretty is back to form, we could have three very solid lines with good two-way players on all of them.

A top-9 that compares favourably with the one that won two playoff rounds last year sounds good to me. Eller replacing Moore and more, Leblanc replacing Lapierre and more, Pacioretty replacing Moen and MUCH more, yeah this sounds GREAT, actually.

Then add DD for special teams, Ryan White for toughness and Mathieu Darche for solid 4th line play with the ability to pot a goal now and then, and we are off to the races.
lol, no wonder your a baseball coach!

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:49 AM
  #62
KristoLeblanc*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,441
vCash: 500
Desharnais isn't a great skater.
Desharnais doesn't win 50% of his battle along the board.
No goal in 16 games.
6pts in his last 16 games, -4 during that time.
Desharnais doesn't have a good wirst shot, slap shot, backhander.
Desharnais is small, not strong and 24 years old.


Pros:

Desharnais hockey sense is way above average
Desharnais passing skills are above average
Desharnais positioning is really good on the ice.
Desharnais can be a dangerous player on the PP.


Overall, Its not the kind of player you win Championship with, too many flaws on his game.

We won't get rid of Gomez (who is better BTW, lets not kid ourself, I hate Gomez but he is still a way more complete player than Desharnais), Plekanec is ahead of him and Lars Eller in the last quarter of the season was way better than Desharnais all around on the ice too. Got size, speed, hands, vision, better potential and 3 years and a half younger.


1 strike, 2 strikes, 3 strikes

You're out.

KristoLeblanc* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:43 AM
  #63
Newhabfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
Where does this hate come from ?

Ever since we clinched I see a lot of whining, complaining and generally *****ing about our team. Why is it like this ? Was it always there and I just ignored it before ?

Martin ruined Subban's progression. Gomez sucks and needs to go to the AHL. We have no goal scorers. We barely made it to the playoffs. SK and Dago are gods elsewhere. We won't have money to pay our D-men (and, of course, the one we won't sign is the one we absolutely need - like Souray or Komisarek a while ago). Now it's DD who is guilty of not stealing a top 6 playmaker spot in the 30-40 games he played. It's obvious he sucks - right ? Like Darche did. And Pyatt and White.

As long as he's not a danger on the D-side, he respects the game plan, and he can create some attack occasionally - I don't see why DD would not have his secured place.

My only explanation is that a lot of lurkers from other forums stepped up and try to establish here. Well, it's not the way to do it if you'll ask me.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:19 AM
  #64
Newhabfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
BTW - DD leads the team for points per 100 minutes played (4.26 - excluding MAx Pac at 4.32) - god knows he does not get the best ice time possible.

He has a total of 12 PIM. Never takes those lazy hooking penalties when losing a 1 or 1 like Pouliot, Ak or Eller do.

He is reliable and trusted by JM in SH and end of game (unlike Eller, AK or Pouliot, the big bodies).

And now he is a career AHL-er ? Because he is small ?

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:45 AM
  #65
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,876
vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
BTW - DD leads the team for points per 100 minutes played (4.26 - excluding MAx Pac at 4.32) - god knows he does not get the best ice time possible.

He has a total of 12 PIM. Never takes those lazy hooking penalties when losing a 1 or 1 like Pouliot, Ak or Eller do.

He is reliable and trusted by JM in SH and end of game (unlike Eller, AK or Pouliot, the big bodies).

And now he is a career AHL-er ? Because he is small ?
bingo!

it was desharnais who said in an interview once that we he graduates to a higher level, he focuses on his defensive game first. he didn't explain why but it's pretty obvious why: gets into the coach's favor and gets you accustomed to the new pace of the game, basically, mistake-free hockey - which is exactly what he's been giving the coach

and someone correct me if im wrong, but im pretty damn sure he's been playing pp and pk. or was

whatever, im not pimping him out to be the next superstar, but there really is no reason to blame him for anything. he has exceeded expectations this season. he gets an unreasonable amount of hate from some people here, maybe it's because he's a local boy and god knows how we eat our young, or maybe it's just because he's small - like that has anything to do with how good a hockey player he is

and for what it's worth, patches was quoted as saying that he was the best hockey player he's ever played with.

now let's see if he can up his game next season.

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:49 AM
  #66
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Where does this hate come from ?

Ever since we clinched I see a lot of whining, complaining and generally *****ing about our team. Why is it like this ? Was it always there and I just ignored it before ?

Martin ruined Subban's progression. Gomez sucks and needs to go to the AHL. We have no goal scorers. We barely made it to the playoffs. SK and Dago are gods elsewhere. We won't have money to pay our D-men (and, of course, the one we won't sign is the one we absolutely need - like Souray or Komisarek a while ago). Now it's DD who is guilty of not stealing a top 6 playmaker spot in the 30-40 games he played. It's obvious he sucks - right ? Like Darche did. And Pyatt and White.

As long as he's not a danger on the D-side, he respects the game plan, and he can create some attack occasionally - I don't see why DD would not have his secured place.

My only explanation is that a lot of lurkers from other forums stepped up and try to establish here. Well, it's not the way to do it if you'll ask me.
Playoff time gets ridiculous, seriously ridiculous. Alot of lurkers come out of the woodwork, and there are more new members too, most of them dont always even stay. When really it should be the most upbeat and purely for fun time on these boards, it turns into a mess haha. I avoid coming on here after losses during the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
now let's see if he can up his game next season.
I am more interested to see how he does in the playoffs.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:36 AM
  #67
Adriatic
Registered User
 
Adriatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
I just don`t get why in the world David Desharnais doesn`t get more icetime. Since joining the team he led the team in points (except for Max Pac) but for some reason he just doesn`t get recognized for the talent that he is. He wins faceoffs, skates like the wind and is a fantastic setup man who has a nose for the net. I DON`T GET IT ! Maybe others can shed some light.
No he doesn't...That is his biggest weakness, his skating is probably one of the worst among the forwards.

Adriatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:36 PM
  #68
Cyclones Rock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
BTW - DD leads the team for points per 100 minutes played (4.26 - excluding MAx Pac at 4.32) - god knows he does not get the best ice time possible.

He has a total of 12 PIM. Never takes those lazy hooking penalties when losing a 1 or 1 like Pouliot, Ak or Eller do.

He is reliable and trusted by JM in SH and end of game (unlike Eller, AK or Pouliot, the big bodies).

And now he is a career AHL-er ? Because he is small ?
Statistical facts fail to sway a lot of people. I don't know why, but that's just the way it is. The FACT that he is the 2nd most productive player per minute played doesn't resonate with some. Perhaps they aren't aware that scoring goals is an essential ingredient in winning hockey games

ROOKIE Desharnais has hit a slump. Big deal. Most players on the Habs have hit one this season. He'lll get out of it.

The fact remains that until very recently he was the leading Habs forward scorer since his recall. That's not a fluke-especially when one considers ice time and quality of linemates. In five years, DD will be an NHLer. Whether it's as a Canadien, we'll see. He'll be a 2nd or 3rd line center who gets significant PP time as well.

To those who even bother trying to pump up Gomez by slamming DD-especially in the salary cap era, I don't know what to say. Gomez is probably the biggest albatross in terms of salary and ability in the entire NHL. There isn't a single GM in the NHL who would take Gomez and his $7m/yr salary over DD. Including Gauthier.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:38 PM
  #69
Joe Cole
Registered User
 
Joe Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,185
vCash: 500
One thing for sure is that when DD does nothing in the playoffs, his fanboys will be ready with the "he never got a chance" chant.

He should have his "chance" handed to him on a golden platter, on the backs of 69 beautiful virgins, riding unicorns, naked.

Plekanc earned it, but DD, no....earning it would not be fair.

p.s. I have yet to hear DD cry about his ice time, just his fanboys.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:16 PM
  #70
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
im trolling because your post is badly written, biased to the extreme and free of even the most basic facts.



ok, so he goes through a slump and we have to dump him, is that right? so by that rational we should have dumped Subban before Christmas? oh, he's a rookie so that's ok? well, so is DD. or should we have traded Gionta for a bag of used pucks because he had a bad start? double standard.

and im not even talking the quality of his wingers.



probably not, nobody in their right mind will say that this is what we have. although i'll say this (GP - G - A - P - PIM):
199899 Saint John Flames AHL 53 28 34 62 30
199899 Calgary Flames NHL 13 1 1 2 10
199900 Saint John Flames AHL 17 15 11 26 14
199900 Calgary Flames NHL 56 3 15 18 22
200001 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 78 18 22 40 12
200102 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 53 16 19 35 20
200203 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 82 33 37 70 32

this is the stats of the almighty Martin St-Louis. notice a patten here? dominates the ahl but struggles in the nhl. took st-louis a good 4 seasons to become the player that he is today.

here is another set of stats:
200910 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 60 27 51 78 23
200910 Montreal Canadiens NHL 6 0 1 1 0
2010-11 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 35 10 35 45 24
2010-11 Montreal Canadiens NHL 43 8 14 22 12

those are the stats of Desharnais. see a pattern? i do. im certainly not saying that we are sitting on the next martin st-louis here, but what those stats mean that right now, he's 40 odd point player playing 3rd/4th line minute and playing with 3rd/4th line quality wingers.



he's got no role? right now, his role is supplementary scoring and checking. which he is doing very well by the way. do you really think that anybody else would be producing more if they were to replace him?

at this point im not even sure pleks could wake pouliot up

and come to think of it: what do you think is the role of the 3rd and 4th line?



see, this is where you losing whatever credibility you might have had before. defensive liability? really? do you even watch the games or just blindly follow whatever you read/hear/watch in the media? or maybe his 5'7 frame hides the tv set so you can't quite follow what's going on?



has it ever occurred to you that he plays more pp minutes than eller because he simply IS better than eller on the pp at this point?

and who's to say he's not in the future plans of the canadiens at this point? he's played 43 games.



really? he's "bouncing from team to team"? are you aware that the canadiens is his first team in the nhl right? oh, and to indulge your ignorance even more, i checked: 4 teams in his entire pro career starting in chicoutimi.



say who?

oh, and to indulge you again, i checked, 5 NHL team in his entire career! i thought you didn't like players that bounce from team to team?

and his career high is 32 points. DD would have more than that if he had played a full season.



and now pyatt doesn't have a role with us?

i've had enough of your ignorant drivel

comfort yourself in the knowledge that i just wasted 20 minutes of my life to prove you're full of it

peace
thats great lets get on the DD parade to the cup

see you on Cresent street in JUNE

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:19 PM
  #71
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
Statistical facts fail to sway a lot of people. I don't know why, but that's just the way it is. The FACT that he is the 2nd most productive player per minute played doesn't resonate with some. Perhaps they aren't aware that scoring goals is an essential ingredient in winning hockey games

ROOKIE Desharnais has hit a slump. Big deal. Most players on the Habs have hit one this season. He'lll get out of it.

The fact remains that until very recently he was the leading Habs forward scorer since his recall. That's not a fluke-especially when one considers ice time and quality of linemates. In five years, DD will be an NHLer. Whether it's as a Canadien, we'll see. He'll be a 2nd or 3rd line center who gets significant PP time as well.

To those who even bother trying to pump up Gomez by slamming DD-especially in the salary cap era, I don't know what to say. Gomez is probably the biggest albatross in terms of salary and ability in the entire NHL. There isn't a single GM in the NHL who would take Gomez and his $7m/yr salary over DD. Including Gauthier.
We didnt sign Gomez for Pete`s sake

plus he was the most coveted free agent 4 years ago hence someone would of overpaid him

he has cups and proved to be a legit top 6 forward for a decade

DD was a minor leaguer ...dont compare the 2 buddy

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:25 PM
  #72
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristoLeblanc View Post
Desharnais isn't a great skater. He might not be a great skater, but he's definitely a good one, certainly not a con
Desharnais doesn't win 50% of his battle along the board. Who does on the habs roster ?
No goal in 16 games. Should Eller be gone also ?
6pts in his last 16 games, -4 during that time. Eller 16pts in 70+ games
Desharnais doesn't have a good wirst shot, slap shot, backhander.
Desharnais is small, not strong and 24 years old. Totally false... he's very strong... but at 5'5, it's hard


Pros:

Desharnais hockey sense is way above average
Desharnais passing skills are above average
Desharnais positioning is really good on the ice.
Desharnais can be a dangerous player on the PP.


Overall, Its not the kind of player you win Championship with, too many flaws on his game.

We won't get rid of Gomez (who is better BTW, lets not kid ourself, I hate Gomez but he is still a way more complete player than Desharnais), Plekanec is ahead of him and Lars Eller in the last quarter of the season was way better than Desharnais all around on the ice too. Got size, speed, hands, vision, better potential and 3 years and a half younger.


1 strike, 2 strikes, 3 strikes

You're out.
It's ridiculous how biased you are toward Eller...

The fact is that DD is a rookie, he dominated every league he's been on... and he had fairly good results so far as a rookie.

And you want to get rid of him

... I guess people never learn, even with the Sergei, Grabovski, D'Agostini, etc. exemples...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:30 PM
  #73
Newhabfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
DD is to be evaluated according to his situation and his role. He is a rookie, called up to fill a hole, centering a 3rd/4th line. He was asked to play responsible, at about 10 min per game. To be reliable on defense and PK, while not taking lazy penalties. Any scoring contribution is a bonus, will please the coach, but it's not his main job. So far he did all that was asked of him.

That's what rookie centermen are asked usually when called up. He did it better then Plekanec in his first year(29 pts in 67 games). Much better than Lapierre and Maxwell or Chipchura (remember him ?)

If you rely on DD to win you the Cup this year (or more likely if you blame him for losing a series) you are delusional.

All this because...he is small. Unlike Chipchura, O'Byrne, Pouliot, AK, Laps, Lats and Eller.... Go figure.

I swear the obsession some people have with "big bodies" deserves a psychoanalytical interpretation. You know, Pierre McGuire like.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:36 PM
  #74
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristoLeblanc View Post
Desharnais isn't a great skater.
Desharnais doesn't win 50% of his battle along the board.
No goal in 16 games.
6pts in his last 16 games, -4 during that time.
Desharnais doesn't have a good wirst shot, slap shot, backhander.
Desharnais is small, not strong and 24 years old.


Pros:

Desharnais hockey sense is way above average
Desharnais passing skills are above average
Desharnais positioning is really good on the ice.
Desharnais can be a dangerous player on the PP.


Overall, Its not the kind of player you win Championship with, too many flaws on his game.

We won't get rid of Gomez (who is better BTW, lets not kid ourself, I hate Gomez but he is still a way more complete player than Desharnais), Plekanec is ahead of him and Lars Eller in the last quarter of the season was way better than Desharnais all around on the ice too. Got size, speed, hands, vision, better potential and 3 years and a half younger.


1 strike, 2 strikes, 3 strikes

You're out.
buddy you called it 100% Its not the kind of player you win a Championship with, too many flaws on his game.

thats precisely my point ...he is a bandaid patch work type of player

I have nothing but respect for the guy but WTF are we going to win this guy on the third line ? on this small roster ?

like you said my friend Eller has played better but doesnt get a sniff on the PP but DD hasnt scored in 16 games and we are praising him , cmon

its ok if we had 2 studs like Getzlaf and Richards down the middle and he is your change of pace # 3 with 2 solid big grinders who can chip in 15-20 a year .

but thats not the case ...we are a small team and adding more of it makes no sense

especially when he is not better than the small guys I have .

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:45 PM
  #75
Newhabfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post

like you said my friend Eller has played better but doesnt get a sniff on the PP but DD hasnt scored in 16 games and we are praising him
Eller

Total minutes played - 857
PP minutes - 22
PK minutes - 6
Points - 17
PIM - 48

DD

Total minutes played - 553
PP minutes - 81
PK minutes - 39
Points - 22
PIM - 12

I guess it's clear who played better this year. Who got the coach confidence in tough moments.

Lucky for us JM does not look at "how big is his body" when evaluating players.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.