HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Boogaard is done as a NY Ranger

Old
04-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

vCash: 500
Sad to hear about the Boogeyman.

As a side note, you can probably get Godard dirt cheap in the summertime. I doubt he re-signs with the Pens. Good enforcer (probably top 5) but Engelland kinda made him expendable since he plays most games now.

Godard is a good team guy and has won an award each year with the Pens doing a lot of community service work, etc. Plus he wears some pretty snazzy suits that makes him look like the devil.

Also, good luck against the Caps. I bet Ovechkin isn't looking forward to a Marc Staal shadow again.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Janerixon

Dagoon has been dead on with information from sources before and the fact that Boogard has only been skating on his own and was essentially shut down for the season a long time ago I tend to believe he will retire as he has to know he can't afford another punch/concussion situation. Feel bad for the guy as we never really got to see him make much of an impact here, I can only hope Sather learns from this being his second enforcer error in the last two seasons and if he tries to get someone it be via trade or a young kid who won't cost much.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:06 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Question, if his concussion/injury prevents him from playing in the NHL, how exactly is he fit for KHL duty then? I would imagine if done in the NHL, then he's not going to be playing hockey anywhere.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:06 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I don't think you need a source to see this one coming, goon.

The moment they said he was out for the year with concussion problems, it was pretty clear, IMO. This team can't afford to waste money on a cap hit that is more than near- league minimum on someone as useless as Boogaard.

I hope that he's okay, healthwise. He's a terrible player, though.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Question, if his concussion/injury prevents him from playing in the NHL, how exactly is he fit for KHL duty then? I would imagine if done in the NHL, then he's not going to be playing hockey anywhere.
Agree about the KHL as the only thing he would be wanted for there is to fight and if he can't do that they certainly don't want him for his looks.

Old
04-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Orr Nightmare

This is a list of tough guy free agents:

Konokopa
Rypien
Eager
Boulton
Tanner Glass
Koci
MacIntyre
Rupp
Godard (aforementioned)
Mayers
Janssen

I would have interest in Konokopa, Rypien, Eager, Glass, Boulton, Rupp and just for sheer mass, Macintyre (although he is terrible, but cheap)

Defense:

Kevin Bieska
Tom Pressing
Vandermeer
Shane O'Brien
Steve Montador
Jonathan Ericcson
Jay Harrison

I would love to get Ericcson, would very happy with Bieska at the right price, Montador would be a very good 6th, but i would take any of the bunch mentioned.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:30 PM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post

Konokopa - fights alot, not an enforcer
Rypien - has mental health issues
Eager - can't win a fight
Boulton
Tanner Glass - can't win a fight
Koci - punching bag
MacIntyre - very tough, terrible player
Rupp - might get too much $$$
Godard (aforementioned)
Mayers -
Janssen

I would have interest in Konokopa, Rypien, Eager, Glass, Boulton, Rupp and just for sheer mass, Macintyre (although he is terrible, but cheap)

Defense:

Kevin Bieska
Tom Pressing
Vandermeer
Shane O'Brien
Steve Montador
Jonathan Ericcson
Jay Harrison

I would love to get Ericcson, would very happy with Bieska at the right price, Montador would be a very good 6th, but i would take any of the bunch mentioned.
did you list Tom Priessing as a tough guy?

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Would like to see Konopka here..doubt it though. Very similar to Prust. Can play, fight, hit..fits the mold of the team.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Rupp is a good target. Has size and can chip in a little scoring.

Since NYR pursued Neil I wouldn't be surprised if they went after him, honestly.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
did you list Tom Priessing as a tough guy?
might have confused him with Tim Gleason.

Old
04-10-2011, 10:22 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Would like to see Konopka here..doubt it though. Very similar to Prust. Can play, fight, hit..fits the mold of the team.
Great guy in the clubhouse as well, there is a video on the isles website somewhere of him walking throughout the clubhouse with a fedora on during photo day.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 10:30 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Stop. Debating. The source. And definitely don't flame him. If you think the OP isn't credible, awesome. Then don't read the thread.

LAST WARNING.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Rupp is a good target. Has size and can chip in a little scoring.

Since NYR pursued Neil I wouldn't be surprised if they went after him, honestly.
Rupp would be my second choice to Konopka, but i dont see him leaving the island as he seems to love it their.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 10:56 PM
Janerixon

Rupp is the player that interests me most, but we would probably really have to overpay to get him and that worries me. I fear with his ability to score goals he could turn into Sandy McCarthy 2.0 as an enforcer who comes to NY and no longer wants to fight, but thinks he is Gretzky.

I have no doubt that Sather will target someone to handle the rough stuff if Boogy is done, as Prust is just a middleweight, Sauer (will fight but also a middleweight), Avery (Rarely fights), Boyle (who can't fight his way out of a paper bag), and Brandon (I only beat up Mike Richards) Dubinsky someone may be needed to fill that role.

Old
04-11-2011, 12:42 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

LOVE chris neil. would absolutely love to have him on our team.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:30 AM
Rangers44*

how about no more enforcers/goons? BTW we drafted 2 last draft.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:46 AM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Urban myth..We are not on his list of teams he wont play for..
No, I remember that we were among the final teams that Neil considered before opting to stay with Ottawa. I will admit, I was very worried that Sather was going to sign a guy coming off of a 10 point season to a multi-year deal worth 2 mil per. I wouldn't mind him now though, he'd add a nice dimension to the bottom six.

On Boogaard, it's very sad to see that this is how it's going to end for him, but at least the Rangers get out of his horrendous contract. I honestly don't get why GMs pay these enforcers over 1 mil in multi-year deals to fill an aspect of the game that is so minor now.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:18 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Get well Boogey.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:40 AM
eco's bones

Chris Neil wouldn't be a bad addition. He won't score a lot but he can skate, forecheck and hits really hard and though he's not a great fighter he is a very good one.

Mike Rupp is not quite as good a skater, forechecker or hitter. He has some skills though--better hands than Neil and is good for about 10 goals a year. The chipping in aspect I like.

Eric Boulton also finds ways to chip in. Not a great player though. He's probably a better fighter than either Neil or Rupp.

Cam Janssens I think is going to stay in St. Louis for as long as the Blues want him--that's his hometown. Again a good skater and a very heavy hitter. Willing to go with anyone at anytime and his fights are always entertaining--and more often than not pretty violent. You're not going to get him to chip in much on offense.

I love Rypien but he's small. Not a heavyweight. Pound for pound he's about as tough as anybody but he's not going to produce points either.

Vandermeer might be a decent option for 6-7 defense. Very tough. Won't back off from anybody.

Wondering if Carkner's resigned with Ottawa? Thought he was available as well.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:30 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
how about no more enforcers/goons? BTW we drafted 2 last draft.
This.

Wouldn't mind a hard-nosed player though.. Rupp or Neil..

A full-fledged Goon, simply isn't going to work w/ Torts' system. We have depth that deserves to play over 4min a game.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Chris Neil wouldn't be a bad addition. He won't score a lot but he can skate, forecheck and hits really hard and though he's not a great fighter he is a very good one.

Mike Rupp is not quite as good a skater, forechecker or hitter. He has some skills though--better hands than Neil and is good for about 10 goals a year. The chipping in aspect I like.

Eric Boulton also finds ways to chip in. Not a great player though. He's probably a better fighter than either Neil or Rupp.

Cam Janssens I think is going to stay in St. Louis for as long as the Blues want him--that's his hometown. Again a good skater and a very heavy hitter. Willing to go with anyone at anytime and his fights are always entertaining--and more often than not pretty violent. You're not going to get him to chip in much on offense.

I love Rypien but he's small. Not a heavyweight. Pound for pound he's about as tough as anybody but he's not going to produce points either.

Vandermeer might be a decent option for 6-7 defense. Very tough. Won't back off from anybody.

Wondering if Carkner's resigned with Ottawa? Thought he was available as well.
I think he has a year left with Ottawa...would love him for 6th dman...he would protect Hank and might be the most feared fighter after what he accomplished this year...wonder what it would take to get him.

Old
04-11-2011, 08:56 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

No goons needed when you have guys like Prust, Sauer, Boyle, Dubi, etc. on the team. We aren't soft, anymore, and need that monster goon like the old days.

KreiMeARiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:58 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post

Konokopa
Rypien
Eager
Boulton
Tanner Glass
Koci
MacIntyre
Rupp
Godard (aforementioned)
Mayers
Janssen

Defense:

Kevin Bieska
Tom Pressing
Vandermeer
Shane O'Brien
Steve Montador
Jonathan Ericcson
Jay Harrison

Kenopka i think will stay in NY. Supposedly teammates and staff ove the guy.

Rypien is an excellent fighter. Maybe the best all around brawler in the game, but...Manahattan can be a tough place to live if you are battling some demons. I hope he finds a better place and gets back into the game.

Eager I would hate to see here. Not a fan.

Boulton gets the job done, and has also gotten better with age, but I fear the aging enforcer as NY seems to be the place where older brawlers come to die!

Tanner Glass could be an option. Not a true heavy but a scrappy kid.

Koci is a true heavyweight. Adds a legit presence, and is good at what he does.

MacIntyre is future heavyweight champ. Skates in sand, but he'll whoop some ass!

Rupp is good choice. He can go with the heavies, and dominate the middleweights. More importantly he can play a regular shift. If the next concept is team toughness he may be your guy.

Godard is a true heavy like Koci and Mac. He's always been a great fighter and a guy that abides by the code for the most part.

Mayers is am not a fan of at all

Janssen lost a step this season but is still a good fighter. Just fallsinto that category of too small to be a legit heavy, and too ineffective as a player to be a second tier guy or a middleweight.

DEFENSE

Bieksa would be number 1 for me. I love what he brings, as he can impose his will. He can play the body, but he also can prodvide a decent shot from the point. From a toughess standpoint or strictly as a fighter he has KO power and he wins far more than he loses. Of course, cap restrictions will factor here so I don't excpect to see him in a Rangers sweater. Now...Toronto is another story. Burke loves him, and he's got lots of cap room to spend.

Preissing is a pillow, not sure why he is on this list.

Vandermeer just got better with age. I give him credit. I think I would pass though for age reasons and the uncertainty that he would fit here like he does in Edmonton. Different system.

Shane O'Brien I am a fan of. Wanted him a couple seasons ago. Could come as a cheap date.

Steve Montador IMO is going to command more. But for the cap hit...I definately question the return.

Lastly...I still like the idea of Bissionette. He is still signed so he would have to be traded for. But...a late rounder could do it. At 600k cap hit he is certainy affordable and can sit against teams that don't dress too many tough guys. Against the Isles, get him in there. Against the Pens and Philly get him in there. Against Buffalo, against Florida, Tampa leave him out etc. He and Prust would ge the job done and not hurt your club.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:01 AM
UkraineTrain

He will play for Vityaz in KHL next year.

UkraineTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:14 AM
eco's bones

Basically I'm on board with getting another tough guy but I want him to be able to play and not just be a ball and chain for his other linemates. We don't have to get the nastiest--most feared guy if he's not good enough to play. Of those going into free agency Rupp seems the best option--maybe not the best fighter. I'm not that impressed with Koci, Godard, McIntyre or Janssens as players. Boulton I'm more leery of because he's getting older. Rypien too small and dealing with personal issues.

And if we're going to add muscle on defense prefer Vandermeer over O'Brien--who I don't think is a very good fighter. There's a no nonsense aspect to Vandermeer's game. Carkner as it happens is signed for another year.

One interesting thing about Konopka--not a great player and a bit over his head in a lot of fights he gets in--but he's a very good faceoff guy.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote