HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

How good is Franson

Old
04-10-2011, 07:25 PM
rockinghockey

vCash: 500
How good is Franson

I havent seen Franson play much, how good is he and what other dman would you compare to him?

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 07:39 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Franson is wholly average. He has great offensive skills and size, but he's very slow and prone to a lot of mental and positioning mistakes on defense. Imagine Brent Burns without the wheels, and that's essentially Franson.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 10:55 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Zidlicky sucked, Franson sucks, Ryan Ellis is our top prospect and everyone thinks he's awesome, but then he'll come to Nashville as an offensive defenseman and he'll suck, too.

That's more or less the attitude around here. The truth is that Franson has holes in his defensive game and he's a lumbering giant with no speed, but it's better than he gets credit for. He has terrific offensive skills, a quick snap shot that seems to have eyes, and an underrated breakout pass. On a team with more offensive weapons\a PP that wasn't horrendous, I think he could put up serious points.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:30 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Franson makes up for his lack of foot speed with decent positioning. His offensive skills are top-notch. On a team with any semblance of a powerplay, he probably has 30 pp points. His passing is excellent. His shot is heavy and accurate. He lacks the raw power of Weber, but he makes up for it in the accuracy. It is a shame we have underutilized him as much as we have this year in that regard.

With that said, he is really defensively a number 4 or 5. If you put him with a respectable linemate, I don't think it is out of the question to see him eat 20 minutes a game for several years. Without a good partner, it would be better to place him on the third pairing and have him eat tons of PP minutes.

The guy is still developing. He has always had a slow, but steady developmental curve. He went from a third-round reach, to a blue-chip prospect, to the guy we should have traded instead of Ryan Parent, to an AHL offensive-whiz, to a 7th defensemen, to a legit NHLer with lots of scoring potential. If he continues to round out his game, and I think he will, he can be an excellent NHL defenseman. As it stands, he still holds a lot of value on the right team. Our wealth of offensive talent on the blue-line masks his true value.

04-11-2011, 08:40 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

He might have one of the best snap shots in the league...

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:57 AM
token grinder

I have been on the franson hatewagon for a good time. everything you read about him hear is pretty accurate. awesome snapshot. slow. lumbering, etc.

he jsut needs to be a smart player in terms of his pinching. to me, that is when he gets hurt.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:00 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I have been on the franson hatewagon for a good time. everything you read about him hear is pretty accurate. awesome snapshot. slow. lumbering, etc.

he jsut needs to be a smart player in terms of his pinching. to me, that is when he gets hurt.
That's kind of my point, though. I think if he had someone better than SOB(who takes WAY more needless risks that pan out even less) to cover for him, it wouldn't be quite the issue. An offensive defenseman is going to take risks. They're going to pinch, and you're going to get burned at times. You notice it less when your team converts more, but it's not his fault that we can so rarely capitalize on it.

If anything, he should just give up on taking the risks and accept that it's not how we score goals. But then...we become the trapping team that everyone already thinks we are.

Old
04-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Stranger

People also tend to pick on Franson for his giveaways leaving the defensive zone, but really a good number of those are due to Shane O'Brien, who puts Franson (and other teammates) into bad positions with his poor passing.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:48 AM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
People also tend to pick on Franson for his giveaways leaving the defensive zone, but really a good number of those are due to Shane O'Brien, who puts Franson (and other teammates) into bad positions with his poor passing.
SOB actually pinchs more than Franson, which is sad considering that Franson has triple the offensive talent.

Firestorm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:33 AM
jlsg

All of our defensmen are aggressive pinching. Have been all year. Franson just can't get back when he misses the pinch. He also has a bad habit of doing it in the neutral zone, which really exposes his lack of speed.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:02 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
All of our defensmen are aggressive pinching. Have been all year. Franson just can't get back when he misses the pinch. He also has a bad habit of doing it in the neutral zone, which really exposes his lack of speed.
That can't be....we play a trap... Right?

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:23 PM
jlsg

Yep, trap'em just inside their blue line.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

I don't want to derail this topic at all, but I'd like some feedback from Predators fans on how Franson compares to Blum.

Who do you think has the better future? What are the main differences between the two players?

Basically, just want opinions from those who would have a much better idea than me about how these two guys stack up against each other, in terms of skillset and future with the Nashville organization.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:09 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Flyer View Post
I don't want to derail this topic at all, but I'd like some feedback from Predators fans on how Franson compares to Blum.

Who do you think has the better future? What are the main differences between the two players?

Basically, just want opinions from those who would have a much better idea than me about how these two guys stack up against each other, in terms of skillset and future with the Nashville organization.
Franson has an overall better offensive game, but Blum is the steadier player. Franson is sort of a weak-skating Coburn, Blum is like a poor man's Suter.

Old
04-12-2011, 01:39 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
Yep, trap'em just inside their blue line.
I was reading through a thread ranking the eight goalies in the West play offs, and a Canuck fan, while talking about the different between the defense in front of Rinne and Luongo, said something like Nashville just sits around waiting for shots from the outside so they can clear them. Vancouvers defense pinches all of the time

haha there's just not teaching some of these people. They watch us four times a year, go into the game having already decided it's going to be boring, and then spout off with the same "trap" BS after having missed or ignored the two or three man forecheck we employed the entire night. Did the players really rank Vancouver as having the most knowledgeable hockey fans?

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Flyer View Post

Franson has always had a slow but steady growth curve. I don't think he is done. He could continue to improve. As it stands, he may top out as a no. 4 with great offensive instincts/shot/pass and adequate positioning....possibly a no. 3 (I don't see it.)

Blum already looks like a number 3. He is a very good skater, very good instincts in both ends, good pass, good shot. Franson has to outgrade him in just about every offensive department save for skating, but Blum is still extremely good. He is an all around guy. If he added another 15 pounds, he would be an absolute beast. On the Predators, he has found his niche as a number 3 because Weber/Suter are the 1-2 and will continue there.

If I had to choose, I would take Blum, but Franson could surprise...

Last edited by Enoch: 04-12-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I was reading through a thread ranking the eight goalies in the West play offs, and a Canuck fan, while talking about the different between the defense in front of Rinne and Luongo, said something like Nashville just sits around waiting for shots from the outside so they can clear them. Vancouvers defense pinches all of the time

haha there's just not teaching some of these people. They watch us four times a year, go into the game having already decided it's going to be boring, and then spout off with the same "trap" BS after having missed or ignored the two or three man forecheck we employed the entire night. Did the players really rank Vancouver as having the most knowledgeable hockey fans?
Face-to-face, that just might be the case overall. Here on HFBoards, tho...

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:37 AM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Franson has an overall better offensive game, but Blum is the steadier player. Franson is sort of a weak-skating Coburn, Blum is like a poor man's Suter.
I don't think poor man's is a good describer for Blum. He's young and has alot to learn.

Poor man's would be describing a player that hasn't developed into what they should be.

Like Taylor Pyatt is a poor man's Todd Bertuzzi.

Firestorm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:47 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
I don't think poor man's is a good describer for Blum. He's young and has alot to learn.

Poor man's would be describing a player that hasn't developed into what they should be.

Like Taylor Pyatt is a poor man's Todd Bertuzzi.
That's not at all how I meant it. I don't think Blum will ever be as good as Suter, but he'll be reasonably comparable in terms of contribution and style of play. It's not meant to be a bad thing.