HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Still thinking about Carolina vs Tampa

Old
04-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
I was told by a relative of Steve Eminger who is my Dads hockey friend, that Tampa Bay Coaches had informed the Rangers to not worry they are going to give it there all and beat Car. He told me this yest at like 5. You have to take into account Tampa players like Marty or Vinny may have wanted to do it for Torts also.

Funny how the best predictions always seem to come after the fact.....

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
This is absurd. Tampa wanted to knock out a division rival. Can you imagine if they phoned it in just to get beaten by Carolina during one of the series?

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravey94 View Post
This is absurd. Tampa wanted to knock out a division rival. Can you imagine if they phoned it in just to get beaten by Carolina during one of the series?
Yeah, I mean Atlanta wanted to ruin the party for us. Devils and Islanders wanted nothing but ruining the party for us. Obviously Tampa as a division rival to Carolina wanted to ruin the party for them. I don't see how this Tampa - Carolina game was anything special in that regard, what a hype.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 05:38 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRanger View Post
Something is getting overlooked in all of this love for the Tampa Bay Lightning and that they wanted to knock out of division rival.

If that (knocking out a division rival) is so true, why did Atlanta mail it in on Friday night against Carolina, after playing the way they did against the Rangers on Thursday?

There's some stuff floating around cyberspace and the interwebs pointing to the possibility that Atlanta intentionally laid down on Friday night. I'm not saying it's entirely true, but if you actually watched the game, you would have seen an Atlanta team play like they didn't care at all. Contrast that to the way they played at the Garden the night before. Trapping after the lead was gained, before that, the in your face speed forechecking, which was completely nonexistent against Carolina.

There are Hurricanes players stating that they watched the Thrashers play the Rangers on Thursday and were scared that they'd see the same effort. These players admit that if they saw an effort from Atlanta, they don't know if they could have gotten through the game. Eric Staal was playing with a pulled groin and can barely walk. There are other players that are just plain spent.

None of this excuses the Ranger effort against Atlanta, other than the possibility that Atlanta was playing like it was their playoffs and the Rangers didn't match the intensity. However, if that is the case, it is highly unprofessional and a real question of the Thrashers integrity to lay down the next night, when they had the EXACT SAME SCENARIO IN FRONT OF THEM, especially with a divisional rival.

I have a really funny feeling that where there is smoke, there's a little bit of fire. While the Thrashers and 'Canes are divisional rivals, there's a bit of SE Division camaraderie, especially with Carolina, Atlanta, and Florida (as they all feel as if the league disrespects them). I wouldn't doubt that the Thrashers organization in their heart of hearts would rather see a fellow division member in the playoffs over the big, bad New York Rangers.

Thankfully, the Tampa Bay Lightning organization is professional and has integrity. I would expect as much with an organization with Steve Yzerman as the GM.

If there is anything to this, the Atlanta Thrashers have hit Fishstick, Penguin, Flyer, and Devil hate levels for me.
Uhh...there are a couple of more sensical ideas to float around than what you're implying.

1. The Rangers offense is inconsistent. The Thrashers gave up 6 goals in the game prior to last Thursday at Nashville...the 1st time all season long that the Preds scored 6 or more in a game this season BTW...and 6 to the Hurricanes. Atlanta simply is by & large a bad defensive team who was coming off of no rest vs. Carolina.

The Rangers had as pitiful an effort vs. them as they did at the Isles.

2. Probably something that got overlooked by this board is that Craig Ramsay is the Atlanta HC. Ramsay & Torts had a really good relationship before the lockout & during the Lightning's Cup run. But afterwards, they had to have disagreed on something dramatically to have the falling-out that they had.

My pure guess is that Ramsay wanted the post-lockout Bolts to play more structured defense but Tortorella wanted to do what he's doing now with the Rangers. The bottom line here is that I don't think there is an active coach outside of perhaps Mike Sullivan who knows Torts as well as "Rammer". Therefore, Ramsay & the Thrashers had good gameplans on Torts and the Rangers and executed very well.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 05:58 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

For the record, I TOTALLY made the prediction of how the Rangers and Canes final two games would go and I got it right, just sayin'

Anyways, today looking back I have complete respect for TB. Any team could have mailed it in given their situation and not even showed up, but not only did they play all their regulars, but they showed up an play hard.

They wanted to take on the challenge of knocking out CAR and for the effort they put in in a game that basically meant nothing for them they have my respect for this playoff season.

04-10-2011, 06:05 PM
arunnair87

One my friends said Tampa would play all out. It's respect for the game. If Tampa was in our position they would expect that we would at least try. To throw away a game shows complete disrespect (which thankfully they did not )

arunnair87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 06:44 PM
HockeyBurd*

nobody is going to tell me anything to make me believe that Torts, Prospal and Feds weren't making phone calls.

Is it legal for Sather to offer rewards to Tampa players?

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 07:03 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
nobody is going to tell me anything to make me believe that Torts, Prospal and Feds weren't making phone calls.

If phonecalls win games, maybe Sather and other Rangers should call their teammates.

Such absolute nonsense in this thread.

No team rolled over intentionally.

Carolina was playing a 2nd game in 2 nights against a damn good team. Carolina put together a damn nice run, but ran out of gas from the strech run (and played a VERY talented team)

Do you know why Tampa played hard, because you go into the playoffs winning. Not for Torts, or any other reason.

Tampa Bay got ready for the playoffs by executing playoff intensity play. But also don't forget, Tampa rested Roloson and Malone.

The Rangers lost games this last week because they sucked, and Carolina earned their points, not for any other conspiracies.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 07:12 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
If phonecalls win games, maybe Sather and other Rangers should call their teammates.

Carolina was playing a 2nd game in 2 nights against a damn good team. Carolina put together a damn nice run, but ran out of gas from the strech run (and played a VERY talented team)

Do you know why Tampa played hard, because you go into the playoffs winning. Not for Torts, or any other reason.

Tampa Bay got ready for the playoffs by executing playoff intensity play. But also don't forget, Tampa rested Roloson and Malone.

The Rangers lost games this last week because they sucked, and Carolina earned their points, not for any other conspiracies.
That's all there is to know.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Could I see VinnyP sending VinnyL a "win tonight & dinner at Bern's is on me next time I'm in Tampa" text? Sure, why not? They're very good friends and they'd both get a laugh out of it. Would it be the reason the Bolts played hard and won? Of course not.

It's like MSL said. I'm sure they're happy for VinnyP, Feds and Torts, but they weren't thinking about that while they were playing the game.

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:10 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post

I agree. The Bolts were about to let this game slip, let a division rival make the playoffs, and go into the postseason on a major down note.

… but then Torts, Prospal, Feds, ancient space aliens, a robot, james earl jones, and my uncle john all made phone calls to people on the Bolts, and they immediately set to building a Rocky IV-esque training facility in the middle of Siberia, drank tons of milk to fortify their bones, and paid a visit to Stonehenge on the winter solstice, to prepare themselves to win this game for their Illuminati brethren New York Rangers.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:26 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
I'm still a bit haunted by Tampa's game against Carolina. Having nothing to play for I'm stunned at the game Tampa played. I was wondering if anyone thought that the remnants of the old Tampa SC team was thanking Torts by playing their game full out?

Or not to leave out a good conspiracy:

Did the heads of the NHL ask the ownership of the Lightening not to phone this last game in? After all, Having the Rangers in the Playoffs makes for better ratings / money for the league?
I think if I was Tampa, I would want to make sure the machine was finely tuned going into the playoffs. ending on a low note is not ideal. And even though they don't have to face Crosby and Malkin, they have to bring their A game from the get go to take down that team.

I think it'd be cool if Tampa and the Rangers met in the ECF, even though they seem to have our number, that could be cool. Granted just being in the ECF would be awesome.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:28 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
I agree. The Bolts were about to let this game slip, let a division rival make the playoffs, and go into the postseason on a major down note.

but then Torts, Prospal, Feds, ancient space aliens, a robot, james earl jones, and my uncle john all made phone calls to people on the Bolts, and they immediately set to building a Rocky IV-esque training facility in the middle of Siberia, drank tons of milk to fortify their bones, and paid a visit to Stonehenge on the winter solstice, to prepare themselves to win this game for their Illuminati brethren New York Rangers.
so let me get this straight, the Tampa Bay Lightning have a time machine in their possession?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 10:44 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post

but then Torts, Prospal, Feds, ancient space aliens, a robot, james earl jones, and my uncle john all made phone calls to people on the Bolts, and they immediately set to building a Rocky IV-esque training facility in the middle of Siberia, drank tons of milk to fortify their bones, and paid a visit to Stonehenge on the winter solstice, to prepare themselves to win this game for their Illuminati brethren New York Rangers.
Thank you. That's all I'm saying.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Sockosensei

In addition to all the reasons mentioned for TBL to play hard in that game, here's one I haven't seen posted:
St. Louis has one of the longest consecutive games streaks going. The guy wasn't going to take a game off to rest. Moreover, he had a shot at 100 points, which he nearly reached by having a huge game vs Carolina--ended at 99.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

im just going to go with theyre a professional hockey team and they try their hardest every game no matter what

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:08 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi17 View Post
im just going to go with theyre a professional hockey team and they try their hardest every game no matter what
stop kidding yourself, they won it for Torts. Same with the Greeks at Troy. It was all for the greater Torts glory!

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
No! We're all wrong! It had nothing to do with Torts, Feds, Prospal, Lecavalier or St. Louis! The truth is out and...

Quote:
reesayspieces Ree
by NateThompson44
Oh, Dubi. RT @BComptonNHL Brandon Dubinsky sent @NateThompson44 a text message thanking him for the Bolts' win at Carolina on Saturday.
Easy to jump to the conclusion that Dubinsky contacted him before the game, no????

(NateThompson44 confirmed by the team to be the actual Twitter account of Nate Thompson, who re-tweeted the above. Just thought it was funny.)

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:26 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I think this calls for some DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU's.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Synergy27

All I know is that I now have a team to root for after the Rangers get eliminated. It probably would have ended up being TBL anyway, I mean, who the hell else could it be, but now I have a legitimate reason.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:33 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post

Bingo! When Sam & Joe said Tampa Bay would be playing all of their players (minus Malone) for the game, that was the first thought that popped into my head.... That Tampa wanted to keep up their intensity level and momentum heading straight into the playoffs... It would be a stupid decision to sit some of your players and have the other guys on the ice skating around all lackadaisical thinking they could mail this game in, only to have the team try to regain it's compete level and composure for their first playoff game..... You don't mess with a team's rhythm by taking a game off in that fashion....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:49 PM
ruckus*

Guys, I just heard that Todd Richards was offered a job with the Blackhawks before Sunday's Wild-Stars game.

Conspiracy that the Wild won 5-3 and then he got fired?

I think not.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:11 PM
ltrangerfan

The responses in this thread are rather interesting. Was there a conspiracy? Was there a greater motivation by Tampa to beat Carolina due to past relationships? Was this game nothing more than a regular season game in which one team was rested and the other spent?

Many posters may not agree with what was written by some. Perhaps those who attempt to ridicule really know the truth? They probably spent Saturday in the locker room with the teams. Maybe they spent Sunday talking to the players hearing a first hand account?

Some teams play these meaningless games half harted and the results show. In some cases having a healthy team to start the playoffs is more important than winning. Other coaches believe in momentum going into the playoffs.

What was the mindset of the Tampa coaching staff and the team overall going into the game? I really haven't a clue. They certainly did play well.

I guess part of the fun in sports is the discussing the unknowable. Who was a better goalie, Brodeur or Roy? Is there a definitive answer? Hence, why did Tampa play such a bang up game on Saturday? It's in the eye of the viewer.

Whatever the reason the Rangers can't complain.

ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote