HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 1 Kings Forum Discussion: San Jose Sharks (2) vs. Los Angeles Kings (7)

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2011, 11:00 AM
johnjm22

vCash: 500
I'm confident. Don't know why, but I am.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Let's go Kings! The Kings have zero pressure on them. Nothing to lose, everything to gain. San Jose has years of playoff failures riding on their shoulders. If the Kings can play stifling defense and frustrate the Sharks, they can win this series. All you negative nellies can take a few weeks off if you really think they are going to lose. But of course misery loves company.

Old
04-11-2011, 12:02 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

What was our season series with the Sharks. I hope they take us for granted. We can win this series.

We went 3-3 with these guys. We win in 7.

Last edited by saintsnsoldiers: 04-11-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old
04-11-2011, 12:08 PM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Let's go Kings! The Kings have zero pressure on them. Nothing to lose, everything to gain. San Jose has years of playoff failures riding on their shoulders. If the Kings can play stifling defense and frustrate the Sharks, they can win this series. All you negative nellies can take a few weeks off if you really think they are going to lose. But of course misery loves company.
So the fans who are viewing this coming debacle objectively and dispassionately are "negative nellies"? Is that what being an LA Kings fan has come down to...just being a blind cheerleader with a skirt and pom poms?

It will be great if they win this series...but the odds are astronomically against them. It will be a moral victory if they can take the series to more than 5 games.

A double moral victory if Penner gets a point or two.

Old
04-11-2011, 12:21 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
So the fans who are viewing this coming debacle objectively and dispassionately are "negative nellies"? Is that what being an LA Kings fan has come down to...just being a blind cheerleader with a skirt and pom poms?

It will be great if they win this series...but the odds are astronomically against them. It will be a moral victory if they can take the series to more than 5 games.

... Is it too much to ask to at least wait until the Kings are behind in this particular series (or in a particular game) before referring to it as a "debacle"? I don't think anyone is deluding themselves and honestly thinking the Kings should expect to take this series, in fact, it's quite the opposite. But we're excited right now, and hopeful. It's too easy to be negative at this point, as everyone knows the Kings are a decided underdog. But, you never know. Hell, I of all people know the numbers, the trends, the indicators, etc. ... but they still have to play them out, right?

Old
04-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Ummm.. yeah. That is exactly what it is always about. And you'd look great in a skirt btw. Like in 2006/2007 when I knew the Kings would probably suck balls, I still bought season tickets. I knew they were probably going to lose games but I went to the games and yelled "lets go Kings!" in unison with 16,000 other idiots and on a few occasion there were 18,118 there. Maybe you were there? Although, I don't know why you would've wasted your time when you knew they were going to lose all along.

You really should get off your high horse and enjoy something that is supposed to a hobby, something that is a pleasant part of your life. We aren't talking about world affairs and politics, we're talking about entertainment.

I have no illusions that the Kings are the better team on paper personnel-wise. I do think they can still win the series and be the better team. That is why they play the games you know. If you really think they are going to lose, don't bother watching.

You are probably one of the people that left early during the "royal rebound" or whatever they call it. Sure it was one game, a regular season one at that, but you probably packed it in after the 2nd period. I'm gonna watch these game and expect the Kings to win every one of them. Maybe I'll be disappointed in the end but at least I'm not a sad sack with a grey cloud following me every where expecting failure. You are a glass half empty type of guy, I'm a lets empty my full glass kinda guy.

Quote:

Right now the Kings are even in the series, take your defeatest mentality and get lost. I'm not kidding, take a two weeks off if you think they are going to lose. Once that happens, we'll be back here, same bat time, same bat channel only the topic will be "fire Terry Murray" or "Dean Lombardi this".

THE KINGS ARE GOING TO WIN THE STANLEY CUP THIS YEAR!!!

Old
04-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
What was our season series with the Sharks. I hope they take us for granted. We can win this series.

We went 3-3 with these guys. We win in 7.
....i'm sure those shootout wins will come in handy for the Kings during the playoffs. Not to mention we lost 6-1 without Kopitar.

Old
04-11-2011, 12:57 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
DustinBrown23:
I'm excited to share that my wife Nicole and I welcomed our 3rd son this morning. 7 pounds 11 ounces, mom and baby are happy and healthy!!

Kings first line in 2029:
Brown-Brown-Brown

Congrats, happy for you

Old
04-11-2011, 12:59 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
....i'm sure those shootout wins will come in handy for the Kings during the playoffs. Not to mention we lost 6-1 without Kopitar.
They got shelled 6-2 by the Ducks with a healthy lineup. They can be porous defensively.

They also choke every year. May as well be vs. the Kings.

Old
04-11-2011, 01:00 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Ummm.. yeah. That is exactly what it is always about. And you'd look great in a skirt btw. Like in 2006/2007 when I knew the Kings would probably suck balls, I still bought season tickets. I knew they were probably going to lose games but I went to the games and yelled "lets go Kings!" in unison with 16,000 other idiots and on a few occasion there were 18,118 there. Maybe you were there? Although, I don't know why you would've wasted your time when you knew they were going to lose all along.

You really should get off your high horse and enjoy something that is supposed to a hobby, something that is a pleasant part of your life. We aren't talking about world affairs and politics, we're talking about entertainment.

I have no illusions that the Kings are the better team on paper personnel-wise. I do think they can still win the series and be the better team. That is why they play the games you know. If you really think they are going to lose, don't bother watching.

You are probably one of the people that left early during the "royal rebound" or whatever they call it. Sure it was one game, a regular season one at that, but you probably packed it in after the 2nd period. I'm gonna watch these game and expect the Kings to win every one of them. Maybe I'll be disappointed in the end but at least I'm not a sad sack with a grey cloud following me every where expecting failure. You are a glass half empty type of guy, I'm a lets empty my full glass kinda guy.

Right now the Kings are even in the series, take your defeatest mentality and get lost. I'm not kidding, take a two weeks off if you think they are going to lose. Once that happens, we'll be back here, same bat time, same bat channel only the topic will be "fire Terry Murray" or "Dean Lombardi this".

THE KINGS ARE GOING TO WIN THE STANLEY CUP THIS YEAR!!!
Great post Buddy- agree 100%. The term Paralysis by Analysis is applicable to more than a few fans on this site. Let's drink some beer, drop the puck, watch some hockey, drink more beer, and cheer them on like crazy. This is the FUN time of year. We're in the playoffs for crying out loud. GKG!!!

Old
04-11-2011, 01:02 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

To Tomd:

I wish your words where shoes and that you had to eat them.

You've seen Chaplin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtZTIwSIuGw

Old
04-11-2011, 01:14 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

2006 Western conference playoffs:

1. Detroit. 124 points. 58 wins. +96 goal differential.
2. Dallas. 112 points.
3. Calgary. 103 points.
4. Nashville. 106 points.

ALL bounced in the first round by 5-8 seeded teams. #8 Edmonton beat #1 Detroit and went to the Cup finals. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005%E2...eason#Playoffs

It can happen. It does happen. It will happen again.

Old
04-11-2011, 01:15 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:

It's really easy to be negative, hell I bet most of us have something to b*tch about with regards to the Kings.

Lets save that for the offseason, this is the playoffs and its a whole other season. Time to be proud and enjoy the Kings playing in the playoffs.

Old
04-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
2006 Western conference playoffs:

1. Detroit. 124 points. 58 wins. +96 goal differential.
2. Dallas. 112 points.
3. Calgary. 103 points.
4. Nashville. 106 points.

ALL bounced in the first round by 5-8 seeded teams. #8 Edmonton beat #1 Detroit and went to the Cup finals. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005%E2...eason#Playoffs

It can happen. It does happen. It will happen again.
I think it happened on the east one year since the lockout too. Or maybe it was like the 4, 6, 7 and 8 seed or something? But the bottom line is, it isn't out of the question.

The Oilers were a major underdog that year. I know because I bet on them to win the Cup at the start of the playoffs and my $30 bet would have landed me close to $1000 if they won. I was totally bummed when they lost.

EDIT: To expand on that idea, I coudl definitely see the Blackhawks knocking out the Canucks. I wouldn't be shocked if Phoenix beat Detroit and what happens with Anaheim/Nashville is neglible. I think I'll be rooting for upsets across the board and of course, my second favorite team is now the Predators!

Old
04-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
From Hammond:
Quote:
Justin Williams is in the ice this morning for the Kings’ full-team practice, as is Scott Parse. Both players are wearing gray jerseys and aren’t going through early drills as members of any particular lines just yet.
A Parse sighting...

Old
04-11-2011, 01:45 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... Here's a true story.

Once upon a time, back when NHL teams played 84 games instead of 82, there was a team who defined the term "underdog".

This team was coming off of a record of 11-71-2 the season before. 71 LOSSES. They made a few moves over the summer, and they got a new head coach - but NO one thought they had a chance to get anywhere near the playoffs. They started the new season with a record of 0-8-1 in their first nine games. There was no reason to think that anything would be different; no reason to think that the losing wouldn't continue.

To the surprise of almost everyone, this team battled back from that horrendous start, posting a record of 33-27-16 the rest of the way - and made the playoffs as the 8th seed in their conference. This team had an offense that was well below average (20th out of 26 teams), but their defense and goaltending weren't too bad. Over the course of the season, this team gave up 13 more goals than they scored.

Their opponent in the first round was, in every sense of the word, an elite team. They posted 100 points, in the days well before the shootout. They had the best offense in the NHL, and scored 81 more goals than they allowed. They had a Hall of Fame coach, and four (arguably five) Hall of Fame players on their roster.

This elite team faced the underdog team four times head-to-head during the season and won three of the four - in one of those games, they beat the underdog team, 10-3.

But - this elite team had a recent history of struggling in the playoffs, and underachieving. Many, however, thought that this would be the year that the elite team would silence the doubters. Nobody felt the underdogs had a chance. The predictions everywhere were for a sweep; five games at the most.

Undaunted, the underdogs went to the elite team's rink for game one and shocked them, beating them 5-4. Just like that, the home ice advantage was negated. And, despite losing games by scores of 4-0 and 7-1, this underdog team fought and clawed their way to game seven of the series. The score was tied, 2-2, in the third period of that deciding game, when the elite team's goalie blundered - he rung the puck around the boards blindly, and turned the puck over. Before he could get back in the net, one of the underdog team's players had put the puck in for the go-ahead goal. The underdogs held on, and won the game and the series.

The underdog team I'm speaking of was the 1993-94 San Jose Sharks. And they went on to game seven of the second round series, too - but they narrowly lost that game.

Perhaps some of you can see the similarities between those underdogs long ago and the underdogs of today. It doesn't hurt to believe. They still have to play these things out.

Old
04-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Shellz

What thread do we talk about other teams?

Old
04-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

From the comments section of Quisp's blog:

Record versus Western Playoff teams:

Code:
GP W L OT SO Pts PPG
SJS 34 20 10 1 3 44 1.29 
Van 28 15 8 1 4 35 1.25 
Chi 32 18 10 1 3 40 1.25 
Nsh 32 17 12 3 0 37 1.16 
Phx 34 15 14 3 2 35 1.03 
Ana 34 16 16 1 1 34 1.00 
LAK 34 16 17 1 0 33 0.97 
Det 32 13 15 3 1 30 0.94
http://www.jewelsfromthecrown.com/20...teams#comments

Old
04-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...2#post32281382

or start a new one.

Old
04-11-2011, 02:00 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
The Other Games Around the League thread can be used. If you want to start a new one to talk about other match-up's, you can.

The SC Playoffs forum is also open for business: http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=183

Old
04-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Shellz

The other games around the league is kind of lame. I will make a new one later when I have some time. (Unless someone else wants to) thanks though.

Old
04-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
The SC Playoffs forum is also open for business: http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=183

Who are the unfortunate souls that have to moderate those forums?

Don't envy that job once the games start and a ref makes a horrible call and the "war room" upholds the horrible call.

Old
04-11-2011, 02:09 PM
ShattStar03

I've been looking around HF and other places, man no one is giving us a chance in hell in winning this series.

They're already writing us off as if the series were already played. Kind of disheartening considering that it could be reality because the Kings offense looked horrid.

Old
04-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Rommel

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I'm confident. Don't know why, but I am.
+1.

I want:

Penner- Stoll - Williams

Ponikarovski- Handzus- Brown

Clifford- Richardson- Simmonds

Smyth- Lewis- Parse.

GO Kings!

Old
04-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
There's reason to be confident. The Sharks have a streaky past and a lot of pressure is placed on them to start accomplishing their goals before they lose more of their talent. The Kings have relatively low expectations and pressure placed on them, not to mention one of the best defense and goaltending combinations in the league. It isn't that hard to picture them playing the spoiler. Of course we know the likely scenario of what is about to happen, but we have nothing to lose and they still have to play the games... Should be fun.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Closed Thread