HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Matt Walker on Re-Entry

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-11-2011, 02:13 PM
  #1
FlyerGuy18
Registered User
 
FlyerGuy18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The PA of USA
Country: United States
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Matt Walker on Re-Entry

DEPTH!!!

Quote:
DET's Derek Meech and PHI's Matt Walker are on re-entry waivers.
http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/st...21187999318016

FlyerGuy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:15 PM
  #2
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,922
vCash: 50
LMAO.
Holmgren once again showing off his retarded streak.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:16 PM
  #3
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 955
Um...


__________________
I deride your truth handling abilities
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:17 PM
  #4
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 37,252
vCash: 156

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:17 PM
  #5
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Wow, now we're risking two years of dead cap space.

So, who wants a depth D for 2 years at $850K?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:18 PM
  #6
Villedelphia*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Troy
Country: American Samoa
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
finally

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:18 PM
  #7
mja
Negative Creep
 
mja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,999
vCash: 500
My thoughts on this are that Holmgren probably knows that he can get Walker through, and that he also knew he could get Leighton through.

If he has a way of knowing this, then there's no reason for him not to do it.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:20 PM
  #8
mja
Negative Creep
 
mja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Wow, now we're risking two years of dead cap space.

So, who wants a depth D for 2 years at $850K?
Likely nobody at this particular moment in time. Hence why this is happening at this particular moment in time.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:21 PM
  #9
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
My thoughts on this are that Holmgren probably knows that he can get Walker through, and that he also knew he could get Leighton through.

If he has a way of knowing this, then there's no reason for him not to do it.
I hope that is true. Otherwise, I wanna know who keeps depriving Homer of TV and beer. That man or woman must be stopped.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:23 PM
  #10
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
Likely nobody at this particular moment in time. Hence why this is happening at this particular moment in time.
I'm not talking about this particular moment in time... I'm talking the next two years (that's a bargain for a guy you can have as a 6/7 without it being a problem). I think the problem with Leighton is that teams want to go after one of the better options in free agency this summer, and they're concerned about his back (I still don't see the downside of taking a flyer on him as a backup, but then I have a low opinion of most GMs).

Walker... is an even better deal potentially.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:23 PM
  #11
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Luckily Walker is still banged up and will probably clear

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:25 PM
  #12
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,922
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
My thoughts on this are that Holmgren probably knows that he can get Walker through, and that he also knew he could get Leighton through.

If he has a way of knowing this, then there's no reason for him not to do it.
yeah I am sure he thought he would get Randy Jones thru as well.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:25 PM
  #13
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverCarle View Post
Luckily Walker is still banged up and will probably clear
Since no one can use him in the playoffs anyway, I don't think his current injury status would matter all that much.

Any bottom feeder should claim him; his value is considerably higher than Leighton's, since most teams lack competent 5-6 defensemen.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:26 PM
  #14
mja
Negative Creep
 
mja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
I hope that is true. Otherwise, I wanna know who keeps depriving Homer of TV and beer. That man or woman must be stopped.
Think about it.

All of the teams that missed the playoffs are going to be re-assessing their entire rosters. I doubt Matt Walker is the last piece of the puzzle. Those teams have bigger fish to fry and Walker just takes away a contract that they could give out to a prospect or free agent instead.

All of the teams in the playoffs are trying to get things in order for the playoffs. I doubt acquiring an oft-injured depth dman, who hasn't played a game for that particular team and barely at all this season, is a very tantalizing option.

If there's a time to sneak him back up so that he can step into playoff action if needed, this is it, right after the end of the season.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:28 PM
  #15
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
Think about it.

All of the teams that missed the playoffs are going to be re-assessing their entire rosters. I doubt Matt Walker is the last piece of the puzzle. Those teams have bigger fish to fry and Walker just takes away a contract that they could give out to a prospect or free agent instead.

All of the teams in the playoffs are trying to get things in order for the playoffs. I doubt acquiring an oft-injured depth dman, who hasn't played a game for that particular team and barely at all this season, is a very tantalizing option.

If there's a time to sneak him back up so that he can step into playoff action if needed, this is it, right after the end of the season.
Competent 6-7 NHL d-men are still a useful commodity. Any team knows that, regardless of their playoff position. It's certainly possible that teams without defensive depth would be willing to take a shot on a guy who only makes 850k, and has shown he's capable of putting in bottom-pair minutes.

Not saying it will happen, but again, it's another stupid risk.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:32 PM
  #16
FlyerSithLord
Registered User
 
FlyerSithLord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tinicum
Country: United States
Posts: 2,081
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Can't believe we're risking dead cap space again lol. Hopefully Holmgren knows better than I.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:32 PM
  #17
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 37,252
vCash: 156
Watch TB grab him.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:32 PM
  #18
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Competent 6-7 NHL d-men are still a useful commodity. Any team knows that, regardless of their playoff position. It's certainly possible that teams without defensive depth would be willing to take a shot on a guy who only makes 850k, and has shown he's capable of putting in bottom-pair minutes.

Not saying it will happen, but again, it's another stupid risk.
Someone should have claimed Leighton for the same reason... no real risk, could have just waived him if the back was wonky. So, who knows?

850K for a depth D that has played in the NHL is a great deal, though. Hell, I'd be happy with Walker at that price.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:33 PM
  #19
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,922
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Competent 6-7 NHL d-men are still a useful commodity. Any team knows that, regardless of their playoff position. It's certainly possible that teams without defensive depth would be willing to take a shot on a guy who only makes 850k, and has shown he's capable of putting in bottom-pair minutes.

Not saying it will happen, but again, it's another stupid risk.
exactly. a 6/7 making 850k? seems like a risk a few teams may be willing to take. Yeah he may end up clearing. Still not a wise move IMO.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:35 PM
  #20
mja
Negative Creep
 
mja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I'm not talking about this particular moment in time... I'm talking the next two years (that's a bargain for a guy you can have as a 6/7 without it being a problem). I think the problem with Leighton is that teams want to go after one of the better options in free agency this summer, and they're concerned about his back (I still don't see the downside of taking a flyer on him as a backup, but then I have a low opinion of most GMs).

Walker... is an even better deal potentially.
Except one day after the end of the regular season, nobody is worrying about who their 5/6 will be next season. Walker more than likely won't even be an afterthought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren
yeah I am sure he thought he would get Randy Jones thru as well.
You may have noticed the emphasis I placed on the particular timing of this move. The same set of circumstances were NOT present for the Jones fiasco.

I'm wagering that Walker makes it through. He's not a bad insurance policy. This isn't Homer being retarded, it's him being crafty and bold. He's more concerned about having enough D in the playoffs rather than next year's cap, but he thinks he squeak this one through and bolster his playoff squad even more without losing cap space next season (he's probably right, too.)

Mind you, there's a definite chance that the whole thing blows up in his face and Walker get claimed and we lose cap space, but then, that's the essence of gambling.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:37 PM
  #21
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 37,252
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
Except one day after the end of the regular season, nobody is worrying about who their 5/6 will be next season. Walker more than likely won't even be an afterthought.



You may have noticed the emphasis I placed on the particular timing of this move. The same set of circumstances were NOT present for the Jones fiasco.

I'm wagering that Walker makes it through. He's not a bad insurance policy. This isn't Homer being retarded, it's him being crafty and bold. He's more concerned about having enough D in the playoffs rather than next year's cap, but he thinks he squeak this one through and bolster his playoff squad even more without losing cap space next season (he's probably right, too.)

Mind you, there's a definite chance that the whole thing blows up in his face and Walker get claimed and we lose cap space, but then, that's the essence of gambling.
One day after the season ends is the perfect time to start thinking about your roster next season, if your team isn't in the playoffs. What else would a GM be doing?

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:45 PM
  #22
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,364
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I defended the Leighton move. This move I cannot defend. Even if he makes it through it brings nothing to the table.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:46 PM
  #23
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
How far away is Bartulis from playing?

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Meszaros-O'Donnell
Bartulis-Boynton
Gustafsson-Syvret
Walker

Those are the defenders we've used this year, and while Syvret, Gustafsson and Bartulis might be a bit weak physically and Boynton isn't winning the Norris any time soon, I don't see the need to risk 850k in dead cap for 2 years at the moment.

However, if Pronger isn't that close to return (horrible thought) and Bartulis and Boynton (he's been hurt as well, right?) is not able to play early on either, then at least it makes a smidgeon of sense. A very little smidgeon, but still.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:49 PM
  #24
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 37,252
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I defended the Leighton move. This move I cannot defend. Even if he makes it through it brings nothing to the table.
Really though, neither did the Leighton move. Both were/are unneeded risks.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:50 PM
  #25
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,351
vCash: 500
Guess what makes it better? Walker hasnt played since February 19.

Awesome.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.