Old
04-11-2011, 12:21 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

vCash: 500
Sutter: Brodie and Erixon "still two, three years away."

As per George Johnson's article today:

Quote:
"I think we've got some skilled defencemen, if you look at (T.J.) Brodie and (Tim) Erixon,'' analyzes Sutter. "They're young, though. I think we've got some good character kids coming along, too. But we're going to wait for these players. They're still two, three years away."
Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...#ixzz1JEgN9LoO

Caught me off guard. Is this right? Maybe it's just me, but I thought they'd be further ahead than that. Brodie came close to making the team out of TC this past season. I guess we'll have to wait until TC to see, but if that's the case, it's disappointing to hear.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
As per George Johnson's article today:

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...#ixzz1JEgN9LoO

Caught me off guard. Is this right? Maybe it's just me, but I thought they'd be further ahead than that. Brodie came close to making the team out of TC this past season. I guess we'll have to wait until TC to see, but if that's the case, it's disappointing to hear.
After mentioning TJ and Erixon he said we have some good character kids coming along, too. So maybe he had others in mind when making that comment?? I hope so anyways, otherwise I wonder what the heck management has in mind for how to deal with our cap situation next year and who they are prepared not to bring back. Man it is going to be an interesting offseason here in Calgary.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
I would have gone in with 5 one way contracts, then let Erixon and Brodie battle it out for that 6th spot. Two or three years away? Screw that, sometimes you have to force the issue, especially in the cap era.

Does this mean that with Staios leaving that Pardy, Carson AND Mikkelson could all be re-signed so that our prospects can stay in the AHL for two more years? Yipee.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:36 PM
sem1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
I would have gone in with 5 one way contracts, then let Erixon and Brodie battle it out for that 6th spot. Two or three years away? Screw that, sometimes you have to force the issue, especially in the cap era.

Does this mean that with Staios leaving that Pardy, Carson AND Mikkelson could all be re-signed so that our prospects can stay in the AHL for two more years? Yipee.

God i hope not. nothing against them but to lose all 4 wouldnt break my heart in the slightest.

i will say this though, staios has played his last game in calgary, man that helps me sleep at night. now if only kotalik would disapear.

in regards to the OP. i guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens in training camp. never know

sem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:46 PM
haQ Loob

I wonder if Butter's like his ex-boss and brother in that every so often he'll...how would I put it...LIE to media about a move he's going to make or a player he's going to sign.

I hope Erixon and Brodie get decent looks.

haQ Loob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:00 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
How familiar would Brent be with Erixon anyways?

I would take that comment with a grain of salt.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:18 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Brodie, IMO is atleast another year away, Ericon on the otherhand I think will be making a push for the lineup come TC

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Triple Deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by haQ Loob View Post
I wonder if Butter's like his ex-boss and brother in that every so often he'll...how would I put it...LIE to media about a move he's going to make or a player he's going to sign.

Butters?

Actually last I checked, Brent is NOT GM of the Flames, so he wouldn't have final say in trades or signings.

As for Brodie & Erixon, I don't see them getting regular minutes next season. There's a steep learning curve playing D at NHL level. Between the two, I'd say Erixon is closest to getting a roster spot.

Triple Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:31 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Well who knows, maybe they'll surprise him come camp.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
How familiar would Brent be with Erixon anyways?

I would take that comment with a grain of salt.
This was my first thought as well. It seems a little premature to make a statement like that before training camp.

Some other pretty telling quotes from Brent regarding Darryl and perhaps why the team failed so spectacularly in the first half of the season:

Quote:
Regrettably, Brent and Darryl Sutter have not spoken since the "resignation" on Dec. 28.

"I've reached out. I just haven't heard back. And that's OK. It's never an easy thing. It was a tough situation for me, and for him, too. I understand that. I respect that.
Quote:
"Jay's been someone that has been very supportive. That allows me to coach the way I want. He's let me make decisions the way I see fit. He and I are on the same page in the way we want the team to play. To be quite honest, the last half of the year, we started putting players in the right spots; where they belong on your hockey team.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

For all those saying that Erixon is more ready than Brodie, I find those comments interesting given that Erixon has to yet to play a professional game in North America. I don't think anyone including Brent Sutter can make such comments before seeing both in training camp next year to see how they fair.

Old
04-11-2011, 06:31 PM
JorgeRocks!

Hopefully Brodie doesn't end up like another John Armstrong, but can show he is more of a player who deserves AHL all star accolades than a healthy scratch at that level

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:48 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

He was talking about the other prospects guys... he said we got Erixon and Brodie, then we got some good character kids as well who are 2-3 years away. Come on now, basic reading comprehension.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:04 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by haQ Loob View Post

Totally! I think it is hilarious that people take everything Butter (or Dutter in past tense) says as literal and biblical.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:57 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotalik Fanboy View Post
He was talking about the other prospects guys... he said we got Erixon and Brodie, then we got some good character kids as well who are 2-3 years away. Come on now, basic reading comprehension.
True^

Old
04-11-2011, 10:21 PM
bananaz

Quote:
that's how i understood it too. erixon should be in the AHL next year so he can get accustomed to the rigours of pro hockey in NA. i think brodie will be playing with the flames come october, he's played too well in Abbotsford not to get a promotion.

bananaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:55 PM
saillias

Glad Sutter wasn't referring to those 2 with that comment because that would have been severely disappointing. Brodie and Erixon clearly have brighter futures than that. One season at most in the AHL again or they probably get lost in the system.

2 or 3 years away is what Darryl said about our prospects not named Phaneuf every off-season, training camp and prospects camp for his entire tenure. So, to see Brent saying that about our young characters guys, it's more or less saying "These are career AHL players."

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:13 AM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
True....but 2 yrs is about right though.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:31 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:

That makes more sense. I read it again, and it sounds like you're right. My bad, I should have read it more carefully.

Mods, feel free to delete this thread.

Old
04-12-2011, 11:41 AM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Well I guess we can talk about our other prospects lol. So guys like Bouma and Nemisz likely won't get regular NHL time next year, at least in Nemisz's case, not until he can actually fit a 3rd line role?

Old
04-12-2011, 12:00 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich0591 View Post
Well I guess we can talk about our other prospects lol. So guys like Bouma and Nemisz likely won't get regular NHL time next year, at least in Nemisz's case, not until he can actually fit a 3rd line role?

I don't think Bouma looked out of place here this year when called up. He'll need to put up more points, but I'd be disappointed if he were not in the lineup next year, at least to start the year anyways.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:15 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
That makes more sense. I read it again, and it sounds like you're right. My bad, I should have read it more carefully.

Mods, feel free to delete this thread.
Haha!! Leave it to a Sutter to provide a couple of confusing quotes. I was in the same boat as you. But I read it a few times and I agree that he was talking about other prospects outside of Brodie and Erixon.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I heard Feaster on the Fan today and by his comments it sounds as though both Erixon and Brodie have a shot at making the team next year. So Sutter must of been referring to other prospects in the organization.

Old
04-19-2011, 11:50 PM
Beerfest*

I really hope Brodie has a good camp next year and makes the Flames opening day roster..kinda of like this previous year, but he sticks for the whole year.

Im all for Erixon have a great camp and making the team, however playing a year in the AHL would probably be good for him also, who knows he might get some call ups throughout the year also.

Beerfest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 09:53 AM
flames123

I definitely thought Brodie was a good two years away but I thought Erixon might have a chance at stepping in this coming year. But maybe they want to take it slow and have him spend time in the AHL and adapt a little before making the show. Erixon is there physically imo. Maybe he just needs time to mature and work on the "little things"

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote