HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Walker on Re-Entry

Old
04-11-2011, 02:50 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Really though, neither did the Leighton move. Both were/are unneeded risks.
Haha. Not getting back into the Leighton debate. Too much wasted breath (keystrokes) on both sides.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:51 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
Mind you, there's a definite chance that the whole thing blows up in his face and Walker get claimed and we lose cap space, but then, that's the essence of gambling.
so then what? we throw our hands in the air and say what can you do and say it was still a good risk? 850k is dead cap space would kill us the next 2 seasons

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:51 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Except one day after the end of the regular season, nobody is worrying about who their 5/6 will be next season. Walker more than likely won't even be an afterthought.

You may have noticed the emphasis I placed on the particular timing of this move. The same set of circumstances were NOT present for the Jones fiasco.

I'm wagering that Walker makes it through. He's not a bad insurance policy. This isn't Homer being retarded, it's him being crafty and bold. He's more concerned about having enough D in the playoffs rather than next year's cap, but he thinks he squeak this one through and bolster his playoff squad even more without losing cap space next season (he's probably right, too.)

Mind you, there's a definite chance that the whole thing blows up in his face and Walker get claimed and we lose cap space, but then, that's the essence of gambling.
Matt Walker isnt worth the risk. He hasnt played in almost 2 months. Sry, this isnt really a valid excuss for defending Homer.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:52 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
One day after the season ends is the perfect time to start thinking about your roster next season, if your team isn't in the playoffs. What else would a GM be doing?
Those teams are in re-assessment mode. They're thinking big picture right now. Matt Walker isn't a big picture kind of transaction. They can just as easily sign a guy over the summer that they've had a chance to evaluate, and who hasn't had a rough go of injuries, to fill in that kind of a spot.

After the deadline would have been an insane time to try to call him up. Now is the ideal time, if you are so inclined.

There's a chance someone could claim him, but I'd be surprised if they did.

If Holmgren's bet pays off, we lose no cap space and gain a competent 7 for the playoffs. If it doesn't, we're screwed next season. That's essentially the situation here.

I'm not saying that I would have done this, and I'll be somewhat pissed off if we lose nearly a mill in cap space next season, but I understand what Holmgren is trying to do and I think that more than likely he'll pull it off.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:54 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Except one day after the end of the regular season, nobody is worrying about who their 5/6 will be next season. Walker more than likely won't even be an afterthought.

You may have noticed the emphasis I placed on the particular timing of this move. The same set of circumstances were NOT present for the Jones fiasco.

I'm wagering that Walker makes it through. He's not a bad insurance policy. This isn't Homer being retarded, it's him being crafty and bold. He's more concerned about having enough D in the playoffs rather than next year's cap, but he thinks he squeak this one through and bolster his playoff squad even more without losing cap space next season (he's probably right, too.)

Holmgren should not be gambling right now on a defenseman who brings little to the table. We already have a glut of low-end defensemen who can't really hack the roster full-time and are more or less just as serviceable as Walker.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Not every team that missed the playoffs is looking to blow up their franchise and go for a long rebuild/acquire superstars. Walker can be grabbed by someone to trade him later as well.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:56 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Matt Walker isnt worth the risk. He hasnt played in almost 2 months. Sry, this isnt really a valid excuss for defending Homer.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not so much defending Homer as I am seeing what he's doing and agreeing that he's likely right in that he can pull this off.

If I was the GM, I wouldn't have done this.

Old
04-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Jester

Quote:
Those teams are in re-assessment mode. They're thinking big picture right now. Matt Walker isn't a big picture kind of transaction. They can just as easily sign a guy over the summer that they've had a chance to evaluate, and who hasn't had a rough go of injuries, to fill in that kind of a spot.

After the deadline would have been an insane time to try to call him up. Now is the ideal time, if you are so inclined.

There's a chance someone could claim him, but I'd be surprised if they did.

If Holmgren's bet pays off, we lose no cap space and gain a competent 7 for the playoffs. If it doesn't, we're screwed next season. That's essentially the situation here.

I'm not saying that I would have done this, and I'll be somewhat pissed off if we lose nearly a mill in cap space next season, but I understand what Holmgren is trying to do and I think that more than likely he'll pull it off.
Every offseason finding these types of depth guys on reasonable deals can be a bit of a problem. Teams may be scared off by injury... they may not be interested in Walker... but this yet another massive risk for very little reward.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:58 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Not every team that missed the playoffs is looking to blow up their franchise and go for a long rebuild/acquire superstars. Walker can be grabbed by someone to trade him later as well.
Sure, there's a chance this happens.

But I doubt it. I fully expect to see Walker go unclaimed.

Old
04-11-2011, 02:58 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:

even if he clears, I would be in fear of him being out there against anyone with some speed. hes a broken down defenseman who would be a liabilty out there.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Every offseason finding these types of depth guys on reasonable deals can be a bit of a problem. Teams may be scared off by injury... they may not be interested in Walker... but this yet another massive risk for very little reward.
Yep.

There's a lot more that can go wrong with this than can go right.

Old
04-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Sure, there's a chance this happens.

But I doubt it. I fully expect to see Walker go unclaimed.
And then what? we get to watch (maybe) try to adjust back to the NHL in the middle of playoffs?

No thanks. No bit of this is worth the risk of 850k in dead cap. It's a dumb risk.

Old
04-11-2011, 03:01 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
even if he clears, I would be in fear of him being out there against anyone with some speed. hes a broken down defenseman who would be a liabilty out there.
He only plays in case of injury.

Personally, I'm more comfortable with Walker than I am with Boynton.

Old
04-11-2011, 03:02 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
And then what? we get to watch (maybe) try to adjust back to the NHL in the middle of playoffs?

No thanks. No bit of this is worth the risk of 850k in dead cap. It's a dumb risk.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you.

I just don't think he'll be claimed, meaning that it most likely will be a non-issue.

Old
04-11-2011, 03:03 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

There is no logical reason to call up an overpaid, crap defenseman. The chances of someone claiming him are slim, but it's an unnecessary risk that could **** the Flyers hard next year if he is claimed.

Homer has taken his stupid pills once again.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Jester

Quote:
He only plays in case of injury.

Personally, I'm more comfortable with Walker than I am with Boynton.
Why?

We'd be playing 5D in that situation regardless.

Assuming Pronger is back we have:

Carle-Pronger
Coburn-Timonen
OD-Mez

Syvret
Gustafsson
Boynton

You can argue Walker is a bit better than those guys (though, I think Syvret has played fine of late)... but is Walker that much better than them that for the 5 minutes he may see the ice you want to risk 2-years of dead cap space?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you.

I just don't think he'll be claimed, meaning that it most likely will be a non-issue.
It's still an issue for me. I don't like that the GM repeatedly does crap like this. It will eventually shoot the team in the foot...again.

Old
04-11-2011, 03:04 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Paul Holmgren doubling down on stupidity.....boy I'm shocked

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:08 PM
dats81

Relax everybody, nobody is going to claim him...not in the cap-era.
As long as it is a multi-year contract there are hardly any takers nowadays...but i still can't see why we would need him in the playoffs.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CTU2fan

If nothing else, we've got a way to relieve the boredom of a 3 day wait for the playoff opener...we've got another episode of Re-entry Roulette with Paul Holmgren.

I'm betting he clears, but still...it's a risk.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
flyersguy33*

Hopefully he clears. Having him in the line up as a 6th dman will be huge for this team. He's a solid guy that will help eat up some minutes

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:09 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Why?

We'd be playing 5D in that situation regardless.

Assuming Pronger is back we have:

Carle-Pronger
Coburn-Timonen
OD-Mez

Syvret
Gustafsson
Boynton

You can argue Walker is a bit better than those guys (though, I think Syvret has played fine of late)... but is Walker that much better than them that for the 5 minutes he may see the ice you want to risk 2-years of dead cap space?
I actually have liked Syvret quite a bit and would probably play him over Walker. I play Walker over the other two.

I think there is a very small risk that he gets claimed. The consequences would be dire - lost cap space - but the risk of it happening is quite small. That's what Holmgren is looking at.

As I've said, *I* wouldn't have done this. But as I think Holmgren gets him through, it's hard for me to muster any angst about this. If he gets claimed, I'll explode, but I just don't see that as being very likely.

Old
04-11-2011, 03:23 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Dumb move once again, but I think he will clear pretty easily.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:25 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepin it real View Post
Hopefully he clears. Having him in the line up as a 6th dman will be huge for this team. He's a solid guy that will help eat up some minutes
Im guessing you missed the "" or you never saw him play before...

hte only reason you play Walker over say Gustafsson or Syvret is because one is considered a vet. Thats really it. Skill/play wise, Gus/Syvret are both better defenders.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:29 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepin it real View Post
Solid? Eat up minutes? Yeah like my dung for the former and on the bench/ in the press box for the latter

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote