HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Meszaros Trade: Has it been worth it?

Old
04-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
I'd love to see both Betts and Powe gone next season.

Nodl should fill Betts role, and sign Kenopka to take Betts role. Kenopka adds more toughness to the team, but more importantly we add a very good face-off man to the 4th line.
Well, I'd assume Carcillo will be gone, not Powe. Wouldn't be against Kenopka, though.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:29 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, I'd assume Carcillo will be gone, not Powe. Wouldn't be against Kenopka, though.
Carcillo is pretty much a given, I'd move Powe as well.

Powe brings no offense, doesn't fight, is a decent penalty killer, has hands of stone, is our worst forward in terms of getting the puck out of the zone on a regular basis, he is fast, and physical. Easily replacable.

Either move Betts to the wing: Shelley - Kenopka - Betts ... or if Betts can be moved go with Shelley - Kenopka - Nodl

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:29 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
See, I think there's an understanding going on there. Carter is MILES superior to Giroux playing defensively low in the zone. He has the long reach that helps him break up plays, has the size to ride guys off, etc.
I'd believe it if one of Carter or Giroux (or both) didn't look lost on their positioning so often. Maybe it's something that can improve over time, but it doesn't seem like a good idea to constantly allow for one player to assume where he should be when the other has taken it upon himself to move to another position in the Flyers' zone.

Quote:
As effective as they have been as a tandem, I really don't understand why they're married to Giroux at center.
Agreed. I don't get it, either.

04-11-2011, 03:31 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

This convo is turning into another Carter debate, and Cartsie hasn't even joined in yet... This is getting bad...

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:47 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I think Konopka signed on for 1 more year with NYI.

If Holmgren had brains he would have signed Konopka rather than Shelley, since he is a heavyweight who can play PK, is great on faceoffs and is half the price

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 04:01 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverCarle View Post
I think Konopka signed on for 1 more year with NYI.

If Holmgren had brains he would have signed Konopka rather than Shelley, since he is a heavyweight who can play PK, is great on faceoffs and is half the price
He's an UFA.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 04:06 PM
mirimon

We've taken enough stupid penalties over the last few years (though this year has been a little better, especially Coburn has kept his share down). We don't need Konopka.

If we won't qualify Carcillo, can we still sign him to a contract or are we out of the picture because of it? If he'd sign a cheap contract I can see him back for one more year, he's pretty well liked in the locker room from what I can gather. If we have to qualify him, that's a very steep price for what he's brung this year though.

Powe might be fairly easy to replace, but it's not that easy to do so with spending as little as we'll have to do to resgin him. I think he's been better than Betts on the pk this year as well. I'd like to see him with Versteeg in the playoffs and have Betts with Nödl (if he's playing). We've been using too few guys on the pk this season imo. Richards-Giroux, Versteeg-Powe, Betts-Nödl would be 3 strong forward pairings.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 04:12 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
He's an UFA.
Ah okay, I was thinking of this from an isles writer twitter:

Quote:
Konopka optimistic a deal will get done; also got good news today from docs. 8 wks of rest, but no surgery required for myriad of injuries

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:37 PM
FlyersFan4Life

Quote:
...the cap is going up quite modestly as of now, and we're going to lose a body that played a lot of important minutes next year most likely.

The acquisition of Meszaros and non-trade of another expensive D had two primary ramifications for the roster.

1) We couldn't invest that money in the forward corps.

2) We couldn't invest that money in our goaltending tandem.

As to #1, the offense has been anemic since January... and we're about to find out a bit about #2. The issue with the Meszaros trade has never been so much about Meszaros as it was about the philosophical over commitment to the D financially.
i see what you mean...if the cap does go to that reported 62 mil that only leaves the flyers about two mil left with only 9 fowards, 7 defensemen(thats including walker and bartulis), and 2 goalies signed so far for next year, according to nhlnumbers.

so i would have to say there is probably gonna be a trade somewheres during the offseason..possibly versteeg? and someone else.
i don't see meszaros going if he has a great postseason and i don't see anyone taking carle in a trade with his hefty 3 mil salary..so who knows

FlyersFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:01 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 102
Quote:
Quote:
Carcillo is pretty much a given, I'd move Powe as well.

Powe brings no offense, doesn't fight, is a decent penalty killer, has hands of stone, is our worst forward in terms of getting the puck out of the zone on a regular basis, he is fast, and physical. Easily replacable.

Either move Betts to the wing: Shelley - Kenopka - Betts ... or if Betts can be moved go with Shelley - Kenopka - Nodl
Betts and Powe get you cheap labor. I don't think Konopka will make less than those two next year. That will be the biggest factor. We already know Holmgren doesn't care one iota about market value.

Powe is almost what Sami Kapanen was at the end of his career. But Holmgren is more likely to keep him around because he knows and trusts that as opposed to what someone else might bring (Clarke would take that chance often).

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote