HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Miller Wants More From Sabres' Fans

Old
04-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Miller Wants More From Sabres' Fans

Insert "Sabres fans want more from Miller" joke here. In all seriousness, I think he's kind of calling out the crowd (sans Friday night). I'm interested to know the feelings of others--especially those who frequently attend games--regarding this quote.

Quote:
"We can feel it, we can tell on the ice that we need the crowd behind us, even when we're not playing our best we appreciate some support. You can't always go into the locker room feeling boos, we need some help, we need some support, we need everybody in this city behind us to do this the right way, that's just how it goes. You go into these other buildings and it's energy for the other team, going into Philly we're going to have to be a close bunch because they're going to be charged up there and it's the same here I think we need that energy, we need to feed off it, even the smallest plays. I think that's the difference this year I think people are ready to start buzzing and last year they were waiting for something to happen, we kind of backed our way in so there is a little bit of a difference there. I think that's what people around here are waiting for, they don't want to be let down and we're going to need their help to do it the right way so, come along for the ride!"
http://wgr550.com/Miller-wants-more-...Nation/9597664

I think that quote is half hope for what the home crowds will be like this postseason, and half condemnation of crowds earlier in the season (booing) and last postseason (waiting for something bad to happen). I have a feeling that this quote may get under the skin of a few people.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:18 PM
rabi

vCash: 500
it's under mine....

rabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Goose08

I guess I don't really understand what he's getting at. How can he think the whole city doesn't have their back right now?

Goose08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:22 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
I've only once booed the Sabres, and that was one of the pre-lockout disasters. As long as they make the effort they deserve support.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:23 PM
joshjull

I get it. Friday it took very little for fans to turn on them. In the playoffs there will be ups and downs. Sticking with the team throughout the series instead of just the ups is what he is looking for.

Lately much of our fan base spends too much time looking for things to ***** about.

Do we become part of a home ice advantage? Or do we turn on our team as soon as adversity hits?

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:24 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
It doesn't bother me at all. If you're excited about the team then you should cheer them on not spend all your time in critic-mode, playing a coy game of 'show me.'

Christ, embrace it, enjoy it and cheer them on. Booing in the playoffs? That's for Flyers fans to do.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:27 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I get it. Friday it took very little for fans to turn on them. In the playoffs there will be ups and downs. Sticking with the team throughout the series instead of just the ups is what he is looking for.

Lately much of our fan base spends too much time looking for things to ***** about.

Do we become part of a home ice advantage? Or do we turn on our team as soon as adversity hits?
Ding!

Bulldog spends everyday talking about waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's stupid and silly. If this team's performance over the 2nd half of the year hasn't mended your broken-Sabres-heart over the past couple of years, then, IMO, nothing will.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
I tend to be on Miller's side here. It's not that I would "blame" a fan paying any amount of money (or even going for free) for acting however he wants at a game, but it'd be nice to see a bit less fairweatheredness in the crowds.

I completely understand the flipside, where a fan's response would be that the crowd reacts to the team and thus it is on the team to excite them more. Of course it goes both ways here and energy on one side feeds the other back and forth until it bursts.

The atmosphere has been lacking the past few years and the simple fact is it'd be better for everyone if it were improved. Whatever that entails from players or fans, I hope that the building explodes in this series.

I'm sure some people will find a way to be offended by what Miller said but I would stress that he seems less critical on the matter and more hopeful on it; not whining so much as expressing his feeling on the issue.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:30 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:

Bingo. Now is the time to stand behind the team until the end. Even if the team starts to stumble, make sure the other team still has to face the fans (as little of an effect as it may have).

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
One of the things I've always disliked about Buffalo crowds is the frequent sense of impending doom that permeates from the television. The silence that deafens during watershed moments of a game; a silence that is often contrasted by other buildings' cheers and desperate roars. You can feel the doom and gloom late in close games or critical playoff games. It's like "what's going to happen this time?" I understand there's history in that town, but that history has zero bearing on what this team is doing or will do. Embrace them and enjoy it. And when they fall behind, it's as much your job to spur them on as it is for them to find the answers.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Goose08

Quote:

Oh that makes sense then. I watched most of the game with the sound off on Friday so I didn't realize there were boo's. That's pretty lame. I'm glad Miller said something about it.

Goose08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:37 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Nothing to me is more aggravating at a Sabres game than when the crowd is quiet or booing when we're down a goal. The crowd being into it can be a boost to a team, be it a little or a lot. The playoffs though are a different animal and I doubt we have any problem with the crowd being into. If a big hit happens or a good shift, the crowd will be going wild. That being said, if we lost the first 3 games at home and start poorly in game 3, I'm sure plenty of boos will be heard from the crowd. Here's to hoping that doesn't happen.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:38 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

I'm totally on Miller's side here. I'm out of town these days, but whenever I watch on TV, I always feel embarrassed for the Buffalo crowd. It seems like other buildings get much louder, and there's much more energy to combat. Guys from the Buffalo News have compared the arena to a mausoleum this season. That should never be true, even if you're losing. If we're going to have a first class owner, and we want to have a first class team, we need to be a first class fanbase. That means showing up, getting loud and doing what the 7th man is supposed to do for a team. Home ice advantage isn't generated by the logo being painted on the ice. I've often wondered if our subpar home record is any reflection on what the Buffalo crowd is like to play for.

haseoke39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:38 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
One of the things I've always disliked about Buffalo crowds is the frequent sense of impending doom that permeates from the television. The silence that deafens during watershed moments of a game; a silence that is often contrasted by other buildings' cheers and desperate roars. You can feel the doom and gloom late in close games or critical playoff games. It's like "what's going to happen this time?" I understand there's history in that town, but that history has zero bearing on what this team is doing or will do. Embrace them and enjoy it. And when they fall behind, it's as much your job to spur them on as it is for them to find the answers.
Couldn't agree more. The arena always sounds so quiet when the team is down even one goal. Again, the playoffs are usually a different animal, but during the regular season the arena was extremely quiet every time the team was behind

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:39 PM
ZemgusWho
Play for 2013+

Quote:
I think there's a decreasing, but still present number of fans who would rather hold on to their gris-gris and superstitions to help the team than to give them their unconditional support.

But I mean, I think this is part of the contract. you want to be hockey heaven, the fans need to step it up too. No amount of locker room changes, big name players and alumni events can make up for the fact that the players around the league know that the fans in the arena will turn on their own team 45 seconds into one poorly constructed powerplay*.

Optimism fever, Buffalo's gotta catch it. I'm more excited than I've been anytime since 05-06.

*I'm guessing. I don't know for sure if this is the case.

ZemgusWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

I don't consider myself a fair-weathered fan and I do go to about 20-25 games a season.

Did I get quiet at Friday's game when we gave up a SHG and then another goal immediately after the PP? Yes I did. But it wasn't b/c I am a bad fan or fair-weathered. It was because I was upset and screaming "Let's Go Buffalo" didn't feel like the right thing to do.

Sorry, Miller.

But I do scream and applaud good shifts, nice hits and other small nuances of the game. It's not just about the goals.

Last edited by Penalty Killa: 04-11-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Penalty Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:57 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Couldn't agree more. The arena always sounds so quiet when the team is down even one goal. Again, the playoffs are usually a different animal, but during the regular season the arena was extremely quiet every time the team was behind
x2..

JOHNBOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Sabreality

GOOD FOR HIM!

Too often i watch games on TV (i'm in Atlanta) and HSBC is a MORGUE (and nothing bad has even happened yet!)...this seems like its been going on for years now...i'm sure many of you are exempt from this complaint, but wake the others up if so.

Sabreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 04:02 PM
boots electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi View Post
it's under mine....
we're all shocked.

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 04:03 PM
LGB24

Whether we agree or disagree with his comments, I say we do what he says. He was voted team MVP by the players therefore he speaks for the team. And if he says they are going to play better with the crowd in full force for 60 minutes then lets do our part and let them do theirs.

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 04:03 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

I understand why fans don't want to cheer when the team is getting worked.

However, I was embarrassed to hear some boos Friday night after the 1st. They were down by ONE, and didn't play that terrible. Certainly not worth boo birds.

EDIT: It also doesn't help that there seems to be more and more people at these games that really don't care about them. Sat next to 4 guys in the lower bowl Friday who spent half the game at the bar. The times they were in their seats they paid almost no attention to the game, and never jumped up when the Sabres scored.

The ladies next to us said they were STH who do that every game.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 04:06 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Killa View Post
I don't consider myself a fair-weathered fan and I do go to about 20-25 games a season.

Did I get quiet at Friday's game when we gave up a SHG and then another goal immediately after the PP? Yes I did. But it wasn't b/c I am a bad fan or fair-weathered. It was because I was upset and screaming "Let's Go Buffalo" didn't feel like the right thing to do.

Sorry, Miller.

But I do scream and applaud good shifts, nice hits and other small nuances of the game. It's not just about the goals.

Great point.

Pretty hard to get pumped up after watching something like that.

It goes both ways. Fans can't always be pumped up regardless of the score. At the same time, the building can't be silent with fingers crossed late in the game down a goal, that's when you gotta be LOUD!

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Sche3067

that rink better be rocking when we come back home to play

Sche3067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 04:15 PM
playoffhero

The playoff crowd and the regular season crowds are two different monsters.

playoffhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

I like that he's asking for help, and that he understands why the crowds have been subdued in the past.

To me the booing is flat out retarded, just stay home if you're a booer. Have you played the game? And when your team has a few bad breaks did you get booed? And how did that make you feel? It kind of makes my feel like, "Go home, we will win this without your fickle support.".

But that's just me.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote