HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Scott Gomez Thread part tres - Siesta Edition

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2011, 06:07 PM
OneSharpMarble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Mess View Post
No he isnt. The 7.3 would be useful but what would that say to future UFA's that the habs talk to? if you dont produce we'll toss you in the trash?
Heaven forbid!

Old
04-10-2011, 06:07 PM
amnesiac
Space Oddity

Quote:
No he isnt. The 7.3 would be useful but what would that say to future UFA's that the habs talk to? if you dont produce we'll toss you in the trash?
Well obviously players like Gomez and Redden are just a few that make WAY too much for what theyre showing. It maybe isnt Gomez's fault that the Rangers paid him so much, but so goes life. If you dont do your job well you get cut. Especially when youre dealing with a salary capped league.

Old
04-10-2011, 06:11 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by intylerwetrust View Post
Well obviously players like Gomez and Redden are just a few that make WAY too much for what theyre doing. It maybe isnt Gomez's fault that the Rangers paid him so much, but so goes life. If you dont do your job well you get cut. Especially when youre dealing with a salary capped league.
Huet is a NHL level goalie not in the NHL because of his salary. Players sign these contracts they cannot be completly without fault. They know what is expected of them and if they don't produce they suffer the consequences. I don't think I will be shedding any tears over some lazy ****ing millionaire who has decided he wants a free ride and doesn't have to try anymore but also doesn't want to ride the bus in the A.

These are grown men and professionals, they live with the decisions they make.

Old
04-10-2011, 06:12 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Laugh all you want, the Rangers did it with Redden and it worked out well.

Thats $7.3 mil they can spend on other UFAs this summer, ie. much needed offense, and if he gets picked up off waivers (which he wont), so be it. At worse if they need him back they only pay half his salary, right? You can get 2 or even 3 decent players with $7.3 mil, and Desharnais is already better than Gomez at this point anyway. I dont see how they could go wrong here.

Thoughts?
You still have to pay him. Molson budget isnt infinite.
they can send him AHL if you promise to buy 7.3 millions molson beer per season

Old
04-10-2011, 06:17 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
Call for a ''say goodbye to Scott Gomez'' day. Ask all Habs fans to buy a 6-pack of a Molson product and partyyyyy!

They'd probably make money out of this!

Old
04-10-2011, 06:17 PM
amnesiac
Space Oddity

Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
If the move will help the Habs win (which it most surely would), I think Molson will find a way.

Old
04-10-2011, 07:01 PM
macavoy

Quote:

Thats $7.3 mil they can spend on other UFAs this summer, ie. much needed offense, and if he gets picked up off waivers (which he wont), so be it. At worse if they need him back they only pay half his salary, right?

This is probably the worst UFA crop in 10 years. Your going to be hard pressed to find 2 quality UFA's for $7.3m this summer. We are better off keeping him for one more year before we demote him.

Old
04-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan

Hes been pretty good lately. But im not gonna judge Gomer until after these playoffs. If hes very good then NBD.

Old
04-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Gomez's salary will become even more irrelevant to this team if the cap goes up to 62.2 million.

Old
04-10-2011, 07:48 PM
amnesiac
Space Oddity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Gomez's salary will become even more irrelevant to this team if the cap goes up to 62.2 million.
I disagree. Thats still a top salary in NHL!

Old
04-10-2011, 07:58 PM
LeHab

Quote:
Hes been pretty good lately. But im not gonna judge Gomer until after these playoffs. If hes very good then NBD.
His last goal was 30 games ago, he has 1 goal in his last 40 games. I know he is not a goal scorer but that is just ... not good.

Old
04-10-2011, 08:53 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:

Thats $7.3 mil they can spend on other UFAs this summer, ie. much needed offense, and if he gets picked up off waivers (which he wont), so be it. At worse if they need him back they only pay half his salary, right? You can get 2 or even 3 decent players with $7.3 mil, and Desharnais is already better than Gomez at this point anyway. I dont see how they could go wrong here.

Thoughts?
Why stop there?

The benefits might not be QUITE as big, but Cammalleri was not worth $6M this year, and it could be argued that $5M is too much to pay Plekanec for 57 points. For sure, Moen is overpaid.

So why not bury ALL FOUR in the minors and have $19.8M to spend on better players next year?

Old
04-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Sir Jacques Demers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
teams with better managed cap space will be able to add 2 good players, and we'll only be able to add 1.

Old
04-10-2011, 11:22 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Why stop there?

The benefits might not be QUITE as big, but Cammalleri was not worth $6M this year, and it could be argued that $5M is too much to pay Plekanec for 57 points. For sure, Moen is overpaid.

So why not bury ALL FOUR in the minors and have $19.8M to spend on better players next year?
If you take the sum of overpayments to all of our players, it still is less than the overpayment to Gomez

Cammy was pacing close to 25g, 35A ... sure not worth 6 M, but it's a typical overpayment.

Plekanec is worth 5 Mil, regardless of how you want to spin it.

Moen is overpaid, maybe ... but by how much? 500k?

Old
04-10-2011, 11:25 PM
habtastic

I really wish people would put aside the contract stuff and the hating at least right before the playoffs. The guy has been playing great hockey lately and I really don't know if Boston fans are hating on one of their main guys. Obviously some of the stuff is just jokes, but I hope it's not the Brisebois effect where people just build a concentrated real hate towards one of our players just cuz it's popular. Not trying to be preachy, but let's give him a bye for now. We made the playoffs. We finished 6th. Gomez had a crappy season, but I don't think he doesn't care and I don't think he's not integral in terms of leadership. Since I don't see the thread title requiring a bash, I'm gonna just wish him the best of luck (cuz these days, that's all that's stopped him...not that Cammy hasn't wasted a million chances) going into the playoffs cuz we need him badly.

Go Scotty, show us what you can do when you're on!

Old
04-10-2011, 11:32 PM
Stradale

I hate Gomez's effort and contribution this season... but I still have faith in him for the upcoming playoff and with the way he's playing in the last 3-4 games, its a good sign that he's gonna have a playoff similar to last year's.

That said, I still don't want to see him next season... unless he wins the Conn Smythe or have one hell of a playoff... There are better ways to spend 7.3M$.

Old
04-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Mr. Hab

There are better ways to spend $7,3mil??
Yes. And there are also better ways to spend $5,75mil/year (Markov). He's not around for the regular season or the playoffs, and when he is there for playoffs, he's lukewarm at best. And yes he's excellent in regular season...I didn't forget but he has NEVER EVER showed up for playoffs, and this is when I bash a bit.

Gomez has 2 Cups and has always delivered in playoffs.
He wants to win he just needs to find that fire again.

Salary: the hate should go to Glen Sather since he's the one who signed Holik, Redden and Quintal to to ludicrous amounts. He has overpaid EVERYONE.

Gomez is overpaid by $2,3mil (Sather's fault), but he can still be a solid #2 center for us in these playoffs, and heck...maybe even a good #1 center. Let's have some faith. Some of you would maybe prefer Lecavalier's contract?!

Go Gomez Go!!

p.s.: imo...very strange time to **** on our players, especially the ones who have delivered in playoffs (ex: Gomez). We need to stick together and hope for the best (beating the Bruins).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 04-11-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old
04-11-2011, 03:54 PM
HCH

In the beginning the biggest reason I didn't like the Gomez acquisition was because I thought his salary might prevent us from signing Plekanec. It appeared that the Habs valued players from outside the organization more than players within the organization. Gauthier was able to work something out and Pleks signed.

My reason for disliking Gomez has now shifted from too much salary to too much playing time. He is taking ice time away from guys who have been producing better than he has and who have been showing improvement as the year goes on.

I hope Gomez contributes to some level of success for the team this year but I don't want to see him given priority ice time over Desharnais and Eller next year. They deserve more, he deserves less regardless of experience, history, salaries or any other factor.

In other words, I want him to succeed now but I hope there are changes next year, if not in personnel, then certainly in ice time.

Old
04-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by persh View Post
His last goal was 30 games ago, he has 1 goal in his last 40 games. I know he is not a goal scorer but that is just ... not good.
I agree, thats not acceptable. But, if hes tossin apples to Gio like the one on saturday night im not so bothered. Patches woulda helped if he was good to go. Darche is alright but MaxPac is what they need on that line. I expect a solid playoff from Gomer. I have a feeling he will have that drive and tenacity that we saw last year down the stretch.

Old
04-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Playoffs are a new season. Here's hoping he can turn the page and have a good run. Hopefully the crowd doesn't get on him because that's not going to help with anything.

Old
04-11-2011, 04:14 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
There are better ways to spend $7,3mil??
Yes. And there are also better ways to spend $5,75mil/year (Markov). He's not around for the regular season or the playoffs, and when he is there for playoffs, he's lukewarm at best. And yes he's excellent in regular season...I didn't forget but he has NEVER EVER showed up for playoffs, and this is when I bash a bit.

Gomez has 2 Cups and has always delivered in playoffs.
He wants to win he just needs to find that fire again.

Salary: the hate should go to Glen Sather since he's the one who signed Holik, Redden and Quintal to to ludicrous amounts. He has overpaid EVERYONE.

Gomez is overpaid by $2,3mil (Sather's fault), but he can still be a solid #2 center for us in these playoffs, and heck...maybe even a good #1 center. Let's have some faith. Some of you would maybe prefer Lecavalier's contract?!

Go Gomez Go!!

p.s.: imo...very strange time to **** on our players, especially the ones who have delivered in playoffs (ex: Gomez). We need to stick together and hope for the best (beating the Bruins).
First, Gomez isn't worth 5mil a year... far from it. You don't pay 5mil to a soft, lazy, unproductive, defensively challenged 3rd line centre. This year, it would be closer to 2,5-3mil... last year, maybe 4-4,5 AT BEST.

Second, why blame Sather ? Is he playing with the Rangers anymore ? We should blame to guy who brought him over, not the guy who got rid of him and absolutely fleeced the other GM in the process... and why not blaming the guy actually getting the ****ing check ?

Third, we've be ****ing on Gomez all season long because he deserves it, period.

Fourth, how can you compare a guy who isn't playing well to a guy who isn't playing because of an injury. Markov produces when he's on the ice... you find a gazillion excuses for Gomez's abyssmal performances, yet you blame Markov for getting injured

Fifth, since when playing one fifth of a season is supposed to be worthy of anything ? Gomez average to good 4 to 12 games in the playoffs doesn't change the fact that he was **** all year long and that he didn't help the team getting home-ice advantage, thus improving the team's chances to win the Cup.

Old
04-11-2011, 04:42 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
In the beginning the biggest reason I didn't like the Gomez acquisition was because I thought his salary might prevent us from signing Plekanec. It appeared that the Habs valued players from outside the organization more than players within the organization. Gauthier was able to work something out and Pleks signed.

My reason for disliking Gomez has now shifted from too much salary to too much playing time. He is taking ice time away from guys who have been producing better than he has and who have been showing improvement as the year goes on.

I hope Gomez contributes to some level of success for the team this year but I don't want to see him given priority ice time over Desharnais and Eller next year. They deserve more, he deserves less regardless of experience, history, salaries or any other factor.

In other words, I want him to succeed now but I hope there are changes next year, if not in personnel, then certainly in ice time.
If you are going to hate gomez do it because he is lazy and worthless, not because JM is an idiot and gives him more time than any other forward.

gomez should be used in a 3rd line checking role getting around 10minutes a night. Not 20 minutes playing with our best wingers and killing all momentum.

Old
04-11-2011, 04:51 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
If you are going to hate gomez do it because he is lazy and worthless, not because JM is an idiot and gives him more time than any other forward.

gomez should be used in a 3rd line checking role getting around 10minutes a night. Not 20 minutes playing with our best wingers and killing all momentum.
Darche? Moen? Pyatt?

Old
04-11-2011, 04:52 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Darche? Moen? Pyatt?
Gionta, Akost?

Old
04-11-2011, 04:56 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Gionta, Akost?
AK? lol What? A total of 8 games?

Anyways, not very smart to put your best playoff producer in the backseat.

Closed Thread