HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boogaard is done as a NY Ranger

Old
04-11-2011, 05:34 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 500
Kinda had to figure things were going sideways for the guy. As an enforcer if your out with a concussion and you now have concussion problems, you've got a serious issue if you can't take a punch any more. It's sad news but you've gotta figure it's a good bet that he's got to be looking at retirement. It's a quality of life issue.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:43 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

The team is fine without a heavyweight.

Prust is more then adequate in the role he fills, and he can play.

Fill the 4th and 3rd lines with guys who can play hockey and contribute on special teams.

Carl Hagelin on the LW with Boyle and Prust would be one of if not THE best 4th line in the NHL.

The game is too fast, special teams are too important, and cap space is too valuable to be wasting spots on big slow goons who can't play or contribute.

No offense to Boogaard, but if he doesn't come back, that's great news for the Rangers.

I feel bad for Boogaard the person, but Boogaard the player is of no use to this team now or in the future. And the same would be said of similar players.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:00 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
I was just about to post this same idea. I love Prust's willingness to fight but there's been quite a few times where he simply can't reach the other guy because of his size.
But why does "a few times" qualify as a need? There's been a few times Ovechkin or antoher star has had a huge game on us, does that mean we need more of a shut down defender than Staal on defense?

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:10 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Guys, forget about the Chris Neil talk... Not only is he already signed with Ottawa for 2 more seasons, but he carries a $2 mil cap hit..... Prust improved his fighting big time this season... He's as good as Neil (who is good but not great). If people were upset about Boogaard's salary (and who shouldnt' be?), there's no justifying paying $2 mil in cap space for that meat-head Neil to run around and hit people....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:26 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
But why does "a few times" qualify as a need? There's been a few times Ovechkin or antoher star has had a huge game on us, does that mean we need more of a shut down defender than Staal on defense?
I wouldn't say "need", but I would "like" to have a guy who can play a regular shift and beat the crap out of people.
But that's just me

Imagine a guy who's the size of Boogaard, can fight like Boogaard, but can skate and play a regular shift like Prust. Who wouldn't want that on their team?

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:52 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Only on HF..Hagelin/Boyle/Prust..One of if not the best 4th line in Hockey..Can the guy play a shift first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
The team is fine without a heavyweight.

Prust is more then adequate in the role he fills, and he can play.

Fill the 4th and 3rd lines with guys who can play hockey and contribute on special teams.

Carl Hagelin on the LW with Boyle and Prust would be one of if not THE best 4th line in the NHL.

The game is too fast, special teams are too important, and cap space is too valuable to be wasting spots on big slow goons who can't play or contribute.

No offense to Boogaard, but if he doesn't come back, that's great news for the Rangers.

I feel bad for Boogaard the person, but Boogaard the player is of no use to this team now or in the future. And the same would be said of similar players.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:03 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Only on HF..Hagelin/Boyle/Prust..One of if not the best 4th line in Hockey..Can the guy play a shift first?
Forget that Boyle and Prust combined for 34 goals and 11 short handed points this year.

Hagelin doesn't need to have skated a shift yet to know he has more skill and brains then Avery and more upside then Fedotenko.

Anyone who has watched Michigan's games could attest.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Guys, forget about the Chris Neil talk... Not only is he already signed with Ottawa for 2 more seasons, but he carries a $2 mil cap hit..... Prust improved his fighting big time this season... He's as good as Neil (who is good but not great). If people were upset about Boogaard's salary (and who shouldnt' be?), there's no justifying paying $2 mil in cap space for that meat-head Neil to run around and hit people....
Wolf
you forgot one key point with Neil, he blindsided Drury with a serious cheap shot when Dru was in a vulnerable position. I doubt Sather would bring Neil in here as long as Drury is the Captain. If Drury is bought out who knows, but I defintely think that plays into one of many reasons he wasn't sought after plus the fact Neil doesn't want to play here as we are on his ten team no-trade list.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:16 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
If Drury is bought out who knows, but I defintely think that plays into one of many reasons he wasn't sought after plus the fact Neil doesn't want to play here as we are on his ten team no-trade list.
Yeah, why is that he doesn't want to play here? Not that I want him on the team to begin with but what's the beef?

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Prust is a solid middleweight with pillow hands. He is a scrapper and far from a heavy. Bolton almost killed him we need a enforcer but I agree not for 82 games

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:24 PM
SomE

Quote:
Did you forget that the Ranger's offered Neil the exact contract that he received from Ottawa?

I want the Rangers to stay away from Neil, but there's a big difference between Neil and Boogaard. Neil can actually play hockey.

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:30 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Prust is a solid middleweight with pillow hands. He is a scrapper and far from a heavy. Bolton almost killed him we need a enforcer but I agree not for 82 games
That's exactly the reason why I want a legit heavy. It's only a matter of time before Prust gets himself hurt, if he continues to fight bigger players.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:40 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
Did you forget that the Ranger's offered Neil the exact contract that he received from Ottawa?
Who can forget that... I was livid when I heard the numbers the Rangers were offering him....

Quote:
I want the Rangers to stay away from Neil, but there's a big difference between Neil and Boogaard. Neil can actually play hockey.
Neil does not fair well against the real heavyweight fighters in the league... He's a step below.... The only contributions he would add to this team is hitting... Not worth the price tag considering how one dimensional he is.... If he was a good penalty killer, I might change my opinion, but he's not... Just a meat-head on skate who hits hard....

Old
04-11-2011, 09:00 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Boyle wont come near 21 goals again..Prust is Prust..We have no idea what Hagelin will do..He might never see an NHL shift.

Quote:
Forget that Boyle and Prust combined for 34 goals and 11 short handed points this year.

Hagelin doesn't need to have skated a shift yet to know he has more skill and brains then Avery and more upside then Fedotenko.

Old
04-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

Quote:
Wolf
you forgot one key point with Neil, he blindsided Drury with a serious cheap shot when Dru was in a vulnerable position. I doubt Sather would bring Neil in here as long as Drury is the Captain. If Drury is bought out who knows, but I defintely think that plays into one of many reasons he wasn't sought after plus the fact Neil doesn't want to play here as we are on his ten team no-trade list.
Blair Betts+cheapshot from Brashear=Bye Betts, Hello Brashear.

Do not look to that man for any modicum of logic

Grumpy Humphrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

I don't see why we should have to replace Boogaard at all. We already have Prust who is a good hockey player that will fight when he needs to. Why should we now go out and get a **** hockey player that will fight when he wants to?

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:54 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Because as many have said..Prust is gonna get hurt if he continues fighting guys out of his class..Its a matter of time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I don't see why we should have to replace Boogaard at all. We already have Prust who is a good hockey player that will fight when he needs to. Why should we now go out and get a **** hockey player that will fight when he wants to?

Old
04-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billionaire Bot View Post
Blair Betts+cheapshot from Brashear=Bye Betts, Hello Brashear.

Do not look to that man for any modicum of logic
Sather didn't want Betts as they wanted a 4th line center with more size and who they hoped could add some offense (Hence the trade for Boyle which looks much better 2 years later). I just don't believe they would bring Neil in here with Drury as the captain, stranger things have happened but his style of play and recklessness makes Avery look like a saint. I can't see him working out here, I like to think Sather has learned from the Brash and now Boogey experiments which both failed.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:04 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Because as many have said..Prust is gonna get hurt if he continues fighting guys out of his class..Its a matter of time..
paging Dylan McIlrath. Randy McNaught. Barb Underhill. we have a lot of team toughness so what that does get us is we can punish other teams back. Not quite with brute tactics but there are many players, however out classed and unwise, who will answer the bell. I think it's not as bad as it used to be where other teams would simply disrespect us and really abuse and take advantage of us and Brendan Shanahan has to fight Brashear. We have enough to deter other teams if they try to abuse us, we can in turn abuse the other team back. Once McIlrath arrives, we will have even more overall toughness to deter.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:15 PM
gluvhand

Boogaard went down and this Ranger team didn't get one bit "softer". The guy contributed nothing. When the Rangers played teams that didn't have a willing dance partner for Boogaard he was completely neutralized.Furthermore, a true enforcer is a great luxury to have when your team is stacked or you don't have a salary cap to worry about, or are lacking in team toughness, but that's obviously not the case. Hope he gets well and is smart enough to retire with his marbles in tact. As far as Prust goes, he shouldn't be going with the true heavies. He'll learn that lesson the hard way and I hope it's not a lesson learned too late.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:24 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Wolf
Neil has had a decent amount of questionable hits in recent memory... I can remember a few times where he left his feet on high checks... Prucha was the recipient of one of them... Can't remember the other Ranger....

Old
04-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Well if we're gonna get a big guy I at least want someone who's halfway decent. Neil can play a little, so I'd take him. The only thing I don't want is another guy who can't even skate. I want a hockey player.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:

You believe Kreider is a top-6 NHL player RIGHT NOW. .. Let Hagelin skate a couple of shifts before assuming he can replace a guy like Fedotenko in our line-up.

I'm by no means an Avery fan, but I doubt a rookie is guaranteed to outplay #16.

You seem like a guy who makes premature statements. Hopefully I'm wrong, and you're right. I certainly won't complain.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:05 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Neil has had a decent amount of questionable hits in recent memory... I can remember a few times where he left his feet on high checks... Prucha was the recipient of one of them... Can't remember the other Ranger....
Pretty sure he took a run at Anisimov, I know Cooke did at least twice, but I am fairly certain Neil took a run at him at MSG (Last season) which led to someone challenging Neil but he got a penalty so the fight never happened. Regardless Neil is not a player I want as he takes stupid penalties and is overpaid. At least Rupp can score goals, granted I don't want him for $2 million a season either but Sather will get someone to handle the rough stuff if Boogey in fact retires.

Old
04-12-2011, 06:01 AM
azrok22

Some possible corroboration for this rumor.

Quote:
Derek Boogaard, who has not played since sustaining a concussion on Dec. 9, has been sent home by the Rangers, The Post has learned.

Boogaard had started to skate on his own and participated in several optional morning skates at the practice rink during the middle of March even though a return this year had been ruled out. General manager Glen Sather declined to elaborate on the out-of-the-ordinary decision to send the player home.

Boogaard, who recorded two points (1-1) and 45 PIM in 22 games and 100:05 total minutes played, has three years at $1.625 million per year remaining on the free-agent contract he signed last July 1 after leaving the Wild.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...vTWuKZdoXwIK/1

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote