HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kreider is staying at BC (Won't change mind. Summer school)

Old
04-11-2011, 05:53 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
Well i'm happy... I get to see him play another year here!

But as i've been saying throughout the entire season... he's definitely not close to being ready to play in the NHL. Probably at least another year and a half before we see him in a blue shirt, more realistically 2 - 2 1/2 years.
I would not be shocked in the least bit... I think people get caught up looking at his skating and his size and assume he's automatically a shoe-in for playing in the NHL and won't need a lot of time to grow his game...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:55 PM
nafsregnar27

Good for him. Who cares if he doesn't want to sign with the Rangers, let him light it up next year where he can be relied based on seniority, which will be an advantage for him. This team has too much dead weight it needs to get rid of before they decide to bring him over anyways. Rangers first round picks tend to need more time to develop so let him stay. No one wants him to be bashed like DZ for not meeting expectation, do they?

I like this kid's character/personality and it says a lot about him when he chooses to further his education rather than listen to people booing him when he/the team have a bad game. Why is everyone overreacting anyways?

nafsregnar27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Levitate

Does anyone else think that this kinda smacks of York trying to stir things up...his players say to him "well right now I think I'm going to return" and then York turns around and tells the media that they're returning, effectively trapping those guys who haven't said anything to the media themselves about their decisions

I'm not particularly sold on BC being good for Kreider's development yet, and that's the main reason I wanted him to turn pro

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
kid is into academics, I am in the minority here but I think he needs another year. no need to rush him
i agree with that. good for him at least he knows what he wants. the extra development cant hurt but he'll likely miss out on a stanley cup next year.

Miller Time NYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:56 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

I agree..Sort of like when we fall behind by 2 in the first period and most of the board jumps ship..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
So much overreaction. Let him stay at BC, he'll get top 6 minutes, and be a more important part of the team, this is certainly not a bad thing.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
If he DOES end up going back, though, and doesn't absolutely rip it up, I think it'll be safe to say Kreider is not the player many of us think he is.
gilroy tore it up in college........and..........

kreiders junior season will have very little to do with proving what kind of nhl player he is and will be. not ripping it up doesnt disprove his amazing speed, great hands and fantastic shot.

Miller Time NYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:58 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

He doesn't have an offer from the Rangers yet.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I would not be shocked in the least bit... I think people get caught up looking at his skating and his size and assume he's automatically a shoe-in for playing in the NHL and won't need a lot of time to grow his game...
Well his speed is phenomenal. I won't deny that. His size... eh, he doesn't use his body that much for it to be a big factor.

His stick handling needs work, so does his decision making. Additionally, he's going to get a rude awakening if Torts is still the coach when he comes up because he takes breaks on some shifts.

But if he becomes what he's capable of becoming, and isn't rushed, he'll be a great asset.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:59 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

It sucks but it won't hurt him at all.

I want to see if he changes his mind once/if the Rangers present him a contract offer, it will be hard for him to turn away from the sure money imo.

04-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post

kreiders junior season will have very little to do with proving what kind of nhl player he is and will be. not ripping it up doesnt disprove his amazing speed, great hands and fantastic shot.
great hands and fantastic shot?

more like above average hands and fantastically inconsistent shot...

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Colby
HFB Partner

Waiting one more year isn't going to kill anybody. McDonagh stayed at Wisconsin for three years and Stepan nearly did as well. I believe he is also still eligible to play in the WJC again. While I would have loved for him to sign, we should be patient.

Colby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Vitto79

hey whatever the kid wants, he'll be here soon enough

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:07 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR21 View Post
Waiting one more year isn't going to kill anybody. McDonagh stayed at Wisconsin for three years and Stepan nearly did as well. I believe he is also still eligible to play in the WJC again. While I would have loved for him to sign, we should be patient.
He turns 20 on the 30th of this month.

He's not eligible.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:08 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
Well his speed is phenomenal. I won't deny that. His size... eh, he doesn't use his body that much for it to be a big factor.

His stick handling needs work, so does his decision making.
Additionally, he's going to get a rude awakening if Torts is still the coach when he comes up because he takes breaks on some shifts.

But if he becomes what he's capable of becoming, and isn't rushed, he'll be a great asset.
Agreed on the bolded parts.... I got those impressions from some of my limited viewing of his play...

Last edited by wolfgaze: 04-11-2011 at 06:40 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:14 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

The education argument doesn't make sense. Since you can get an education at any age.

And lets be honest, he's a student athlete. He's not primarily in school to get an education...

For his development, he's probably best served to sign. Go to the AHL. Step up in competition would be nice. imo

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:37 PM
SomE

Reading some of these comments makes me want to barf.

Yes Stepan left college and it worked out great for him.. Stepan also dominated college.. Kreider hasn't even come close.

Kreider is quickly becoming the most overrated prospect in the NHL.

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:03 PM
GrizMint

Only issue I have with people saying it is better for his development to stay at BC is that this is a kid that played on a pretty good IIHF WC team last year in Germany and didnt look out of place at all. He looked strong on the puck like he does in college and generated a few scoring oppertunities with limited ice time. 6 games, 1G 1A +3. He is a 1991 and the closest players to his age were Kyle Okposo/Galiardi/ E. Johnson born in 1988.

Dont know where I am going with this, and I really dont know whats best for him, but its easy to forget how amazing it was he was selected for the team last year

GrizMint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:04 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

The signs, unfortunately, are ominous.

Kreider can do what he wants. I just think he's wasting a year of development.

Mike Richter earned a degree at an Ivy League school while backstopping the Rangers, and his job was a million times tougher than what is expected of Krieder. If Kreider is that serious about education, he can take summer classes. I took graduate courses online while getting rocketed every night in Iraq. If I can juggle job and school, so can Kreider.

Hugh Jessiman (yeah I said it) went back to Dartmouth for a 3rd season to continue his education and win an ECAC championship for them. Most of us were flipping out when he did, and presto, he gets inured and that's all she wrote.

I'm not comparing the two players. Night and day. But I think Kreider is taking a step back. Throw in Jerry York's garbage record at turning upperclassmen into NHL stars and you have reason for concern.

Totally dont agree with his decision, but it's his life. Right now I'm happy there is enough depth in the organization to withstand the possibility of Kreider taking forever to develop

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:10 PM
GrizMint

Also why do we all think York is an idiot? I missed the boat

GrizMint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:17 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Eh, sucks if it ends up true, but not the worst thing in the world.

Jerry will at least be giving him big minutes, I'd think.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:17 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post

It speaks leagues about his goal-scoring ability and hockey smarts, though.

Gilroy was a man amongst boys. Kreider is a physical specimen who SHOULD be able to impose his will this year if he does stay, which i'm not sold he does yet. Anything short of spectacular and i'm disappointed.

You can have all the tools and lack the toolbox.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:18 PM
NorthlandPro

Kreider's stats at Bc are a result of a number of factor the least of whick is having players that understand how to use him. Let's not forget that Kreider came out of a ho hum league where there was little competition for him. My opinion is that he needs to move on. A year in Hartford will do more for him than a 3rd year at BC. This kid has talent and he needs to be chalenged to keep on developing.

NorthlandPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:18 PM
claver2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKING33 View Post
Because he's going to be the winningest college coach ever in the early 2012-13 season. But what does he know compared to some msg board posters?

claver2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:21 PM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by claver2010 View Post
Because he's going to be the winningest college coach ever in the early 2012-13 season. But what does he know compared to some msg board posters?
^
smart man

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:23 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKING33 View Post
Jerry York is known for riding his upper-classmen. As Kreider was only a sophomore last season, he didn't always see the minutes and situations that a lot of our fans thought he deserved. That makes York and idiot, apparently.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote