HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Murray re-signed for 3 years as GM

Old
04-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post
Annoying is someone saying Yzerman dislikes Murray because Murray "held him accountable"

There must be a hundred posts here praising Murray's accomplishments - whatever they might be. I think a few contrary positions shouldn't threaten the lofty dialogue taking place.
Well he did create sliced bread.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 05:22 PM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKC View Post
Reading some of the comments on here makes me never want to come back ever again.

Especially those of you waxing on about how bad of a job Murray is doing?

Do you really think the owner of the team, with a business that was valued in the billions, is just running this team on a hunch?

Do you really think he'd put a $100-million-a-year business in the hands of a guy if he didn't believe in him and hadn't already done his homework?

You guys talk sometimes like the NHL is some utopian world where only the Senators' interests are catered to: all players, coaches, GMs and hockey people are for the consideration of our team only.

You do realize that there are 29 other teams always evaluating? Some making the exact same moves we're making.

Seriously, get a grip. Stop saying **** like "Murray should have been fired" and start telling us who else should be put in charge instead and how feasible that plan is.

It's almost impossible to read some of the garbage some of you post: "how many coaches is Murray gonna get to fire...blah blah blah".

YOU tell US who should have been hired as coaches instead and how you know they a) would have accepted the job and b) done a better job.

You're the worst kind of armchair GMs, the kind who use hindsight as the main points of your "arguments" (and I use that term very loosely)
It wasn't that long ago that the Red Wings were being run by a guy who couldn't read or write. If you think NHL GM's are a group of cerebral managers, well they just aren't. Too many of them have law degrees to ever be effective managers.

I don't know how you get judged in your career path, but every management job I've ever been involved with or even heard of involves judging based on performance, or "hindsight" as you refer to it. That's the way it works in the Fortune 1000, and that's the way it works at your local Mac's.

Further when I get a performance review, no body has to say that XX would do it better. If you aren't doing the job then they find someone better - I don't get to say "Before you criticize me find someone else"

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 05:30 PM
enviro61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Crummy GMs don't get jobs as long as they want them. He does well in the most important part of roster building, the same part that makes trading and to a lesser extent free agent signings much easier. The same part that was done so poorly for 5 years which made signings and trades harder to score in...

First things first, make sure you have a guy that can hire people who know how to draft.
Millbury, Clarke, Sutter and Sather would like to say hello amongst others.

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 07:10 PM
jordan7hm

I hated the signing, and I hate the re-signing.

Oh well, another three years of mediocrity or worse, before we get a real GM. Hopefully with some sort of track record that includes winning the stanley cup.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 07:18 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviro61 View Post
Millbury, Clarke, Sutter and Sather would like to say hello amongst others.
Millburry can't get a job. Sutter probably won't after his tenure in Calgary. Clarke isn't a GM. And Sather lives off the Oiler days.

The team Murray last managed won a Cup very quickly after he left. Maybe we've got one coming within 5 years, I don't want him to be around for finish. But this team needed to revitalize it's depth, and it still does, he's good at this. And he's doing well at it.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 07:22 PM
jordan7hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Millburry can't get a job. Sutter probably will after his tenure in Calgary. Clarke isn't a GM. And Sather lives off the Oiler days.
Milburry had the job for years beyond his best before date. As did Sutter, as did Clarke, as does Sather still.

That's obviously what the poster is referring to.

As did Don Waddell (one of the worst GMs in NHL history?). As did Doug MacLean (7 years he got in Columbus, 7 years of consistent failure and that was without any indication of drafting success, though to be fair he was apparently good at the non-hockey side of things).

Old
04-11-2011, 03:47 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
How anyone can look at the mess Murray has made the past few years and say "job well done" just blows my mind.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:12 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
How anyone can look at the mess Murray has made the past few years and say "job well done" just blows my mind.
I know I sound like a broken record, but why not. It comes off as a tale of 2 Murrays for me, his attempt at getting this team over the hump and a cup after our loss to Anaheim was a complete failure in my mind, and did a pretty bad job. At the time I hated the Hartsburg hiring, but as always I was open to seeing how he did and if he could succeed, I like to give the benefit of the doubt most of the time.

As we stand now, I can't say Im mad at him for any of the decisions he's made this season, I like the young guys he's brought up to play and am actually pretty excited for next year with a healthy dose of youth injected talen as well as our veterans having a long offseason to recover and re-fuel their gas tanks. Also, I really really really like Anderson and the deal in general.

So while I dont like what he did when he first took over as GM, I'm warming up to him rebuilding our team, although if he was indeed let go I wouldn't be kicking and screaming.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Conda, Butler, Greening, Da Costa, Smith are all young forwards in the NHL, joining Spezza, Michalek, Foligno and Regin
Karlsson, Lee in the NHL, Cowen, Rundblad, Wiercioch almost ready for NHL duty
Anderson is our #1 for the next 4 years, Lehner potential starter down the road
Deep prospect pool, a top 5 pick, 1st, three 2nds and an early 3rd will be joining it before July 1st

Under Murray we have been one of the best teams in the NHL and drafting and developing young talent. I can't think of a better GM to have during a rebuild. I'm sure the Ducks would agree.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Flamingo

Quote:
I think Murray took risks that made sense, but didn't pan out. Leclaire -- big risk, failed. Kovalev -- there are a lot of people here that predicted he would flop here, and they were right.

I hate his coach selection in Hartsburg and Paddock. Clouston was a decent choice at the time, but geez, couldn't Murray give him some direction on how to handle vets, young talent, and goalies?

Why couldn't he retain Cullen? Why did he think Commodore was such a great defenceman?

Hopefully he makes more sure-fire decisions without the pressure of hauling in a cup every year. But overall, I think the risky moves that didn't pan out weren't bad moves to make.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:39 PM
jordan7hm

Quote:
We have a chance to win the season with a #1 pick though!