HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Kitchen - thread formerly known as Fire Q

Old
04-11-2011, 11:01 AM
BobbyJet

vCash: 500
To be honest, I really don’t know what to think of Q. I think it would be interesting to hear what the players think, off the record of course (which will never happen).

I certainly don’t agree with his constant line juggling when it goes on for the entire season and I must question his coaching decisions particularly when it comes to the PP ice time he gives to Kopecky, which has baffled me all season. He also doesn’t seem to be much of a motivator (but this is just an observation on my part, maybe I’m way off base). As an example when Frolik came aboard he was in an ugly slump and yet Q seemed to do nothing to get help him out of it (IE. Some PP time or some ice time with our top offensive players, is what I would have done).

In last season’s playoffs he looked like a genius with his utilization of Buff in critical series. Can Q come up with some magical decisions again this time around? One thing is certain in my mind, he isn’t going anywhere soon. Winning the SC last year took care of that for a while, likely the duration of his current contract and perhaps beyond.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:30 PM
LarmerSavardSecord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Why are people bringing up the cup? We had an absolutely stacked team, that doesn't make sense.

This was Q's chance to prove he could get a team with almost no secondary scoring talent into the playoffs, and he has failed.

If you're an idiot who thinks Dallas will lose to a team without Havlat, Madden, Barker, Backstrom + then I feel sorry for you.

This entire season, save one great stretch, has been a disaster and if we get off to another slow start next year Q will be gone - if he isn't gone in the summer.

This team had no problem trading playoff hero's Byfuglien, Versteeg, Ladd, Sopel and walking away from Niemi. I'm sure they won't have much problem firing a coach who's simply not meeting expectations.
This view is a common misconception. We all know tough the NHL playoffs are and that anything can happen when the puck is dropped. Only one top conference seed in the post-lockout era has has even made the finals.
And from statistically standpoint, it's improbable for even a clear favorite to win 4 straight series. A team that is a prohibitive 4-1 favorite in all four series - and we'll never see anything close to this in the cap-era - has only a ~40% chance of raising the cup. Last years, let's say conservatively the hawks were 75% vs the Preds, 60% vs the Canucks, 55% vs the Sharks and 65% vs the Flyers, that a 16% chance.

Winning the cup is a huge accomplishment even for a great team, and the coach gets a share of the credit.

LarmerSavardSecord is offline   Reply With Quote