HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Jack Johnson and Drew Doughty

Old
04-09-2011, 04:34 PM
SMoneyMonkey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
If both players shot hard and low from the point rather than hard and high they would put up even more points. It will come with maturity.
I agree with this. As wonderful as a slap shot to the stop corner looks, shooting low is a much higher percentage shot

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 07:39 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoneyMonkey View Post
I agree with this. As wonderful as a slap shot to the stop corner looks, shooting low is a much higher percentage shot
You would think this is the strategy, and I believe it is, since the Kings have a lot of guys who crowd the net. The problem with young players who have a lot of skill is they want the Sportcenter highlight play which is picking a corner. When you miss the puck goes off the boards and out of the zone. When you shoot to try to get the puck to drop off the goalies leg pad or blocker into the feet of your forward you'll pick up a lot more points than shooting to try to score a goal. No doubt Murray is coaching this strategy but I don't think Johnson and Doughty listen as much as they should. I also agree with Doughty hesitating before he shoots. In the NHL if you hesitate once the path to the goalie gets clogged immediately leading to shots being blocked. Get the puck, get your head up and shoot the puck to try to get a rebound. It's simple but simplicity is lost on talented players. I'd love to see a stat on how many shots both guys miss or are blocked before they get to the net. I'd bet they rank very high on that list.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 12:25 AM
123slam

they suck

123slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:54 AM
no name

I just looked and noticed that Jack Johnson is a -21. Holy smokes, what the heck happened? He was a -5 for the majority of the yera. I know he hasn't been scoring so he won't get many +'s and he went through a spell of bad games there but I never thought he was THAT BAD defensively. Am I just watching him obliviously?

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:02 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
I just looked and noticed that Jack Johnson is a -21. Holy smokes, what the heck happened? He was a -5 for the majority of the yera. I know he hasn't been scoring so he won't get many +'s and he went through a spell of bad games there but I never thought he was THAT BAD defensively. Am I just watching him obliviously?
Obviously you have been oblivious, yes.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Drew Doughty is on KROQ right now...

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:31 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
... Jack, over his last 32 games, has 1 goal, 9 points, and is a -15.

In his first 50 games, he had 4 goals, 33 points, and was just a -6.

I really hope that there's an injury he's hiding or being asked to play with, because the dramatic decrease in his effectiveness is a troubling sight.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:21 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Drew Doughty is on KROQ right now...
... and?

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:18 PM
DaAnimal

I'm a firm believer that JJ and DD will turn on their "playoff" switch.

Just watch and see

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:28 PM
ZJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
I'm a firm believer that JJ and DD will turn on their "playoff" switch.

Just watch and see
They played great in the playoffs last year. Im gonna say they both play a great series. They both love the big stage, they are both competitive, and they both have gamebreaking potential. Theyll step up. Theyll lead us to the second round!

ZJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Jetteroheller

Hopefully they have just been "resting up" for the playoff run!

Jetteroheller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Nose of Sutter

I think the playoffs will light a fire under them cause they are crucial to any sort of playoff success

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
... and?
http://www.kevinandbeanarchive.com/a...2011-04-11.mp3

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Defensively he has been the same yeah, it's just that his lower scoring doesn't keep him in the low - anymore. However I would still say that defensively he was worse at the start of the season than he has been towards the end of the season.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

What could be the reason that two young, speedy, offensively gifted forwards with great shots and deft passing and who went 2nd and 3rd overall respectively in the draft cannot score? What caused Ponikarovsky, an often 20 goal scorer, to not even get close to that mark this season, his first with the Kings? What has caused Dustin Penner, a 30 goal scorer, to struggle mightily to put the puck in the net since coming here? What has the Kings near the bottom of the league in offense and generally unable to score more than 2 goals per game, even when healthy?

These questions could all be related to what the OP poses as the issue. Perhaps there is a relationship here. Perhaps not. Regardless, all good questions I think.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:09 PM
kingscup
MBML

Send a message via AIM to kingscup
+ A Mart should be our #1 line come playoffs

kingscup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:29 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Why look at these two superstar kids when one thing has been clearly changed since last season and that is that we have replaced an exceptional defencive coach with one who was fired and has proven himself to be less than effective at bringing out the best in our young dmen.

It was one of those situations where something had to be done, DL brought in a guy who he thought would be capable of doing the jab at the same excellent level of his predecessor and he was wrong. Try again this offseason and we will see what happens.

You can see a clear difference in the way these two kids play between this and last season.

But they are still two of the best young talented dmen in the league and I feel at least one of them will go on to be a hall of fame'r in his time if not both of them.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:50 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Watch how many times Dan Boyle pinches down low and makes it back into defensive position in time. Doughty and Johnson both need to be free to roam at the very least at key times of the game. Having them stand at the blue line and fire off slap shots takes away their skating and playmaking ability.

Old
04-12-2011, 11:54 AM
ShattStar03

I'm telling you Johnson and Doughty are going to be the biggest factors for the Kings in the playoffs. They may not play their greatest during the season. However, they know how to turn it on in the big games. (See Olympics and last year playoffs). I mean look at Jack's international career, he looks like a stud in the big games, along with Doughty.

These guys are going to be huge in the playoffs, they're going to be a nice tandem to watch this playoff series.

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:32 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Johnson:6 games played, 0 goals, 7 assists, minus 5, 4 PP assists, 6 PIM's, 15 shots on goal. Doughty:6 games played, 3 goals, 4 assists, minus 5, 2 PPG, 3 PPA, 4 PIM's, 13 shots on goal. Did they play great? Yes, on the power play. At even strength they were on the ice WAY TOO MUCH when the Canucks scored. If the Kings are to advance past San Jose Johnson and Doughty will have to be better at even strength.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:35 PM
ShattStar03

I mean you're getting plus +25 of ice time, of course you're more than likely to get scored on. Johnson and Doughty aren't stay at home defenseman, they take risks to generate offense.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:42 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShattStar03 View Post
I mean you're getting plus +25 of ice time, of course you're more than likely to get scored on. Johnson and Doughty aren't stay at home defenseman, they take risks to generate offense.
I understand that, I'm all for letting them loose but they have to be smarter at even strength. Again, watch what Dan Boyle does. When he pinches you'll see him turn back up ice at full speed and get back into position. At even strength last playoffs Johnson and Doughty totaled 12 games, 1 goal, 4 assists and a minus 10. That's not going to get it done.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:45 PM
ShattStar03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I understand that, I'm all for letting them loose but they have to be smarter at even strength. Again, watch what Dan Boyle does. When he pinches you'll see him turn back up ice at full speed and get back into position. At even strength last playoffs Johnson and Doughty totaled 12 games, 1 goal, 4 assists and a minus 10. That's not going to get it done.
Vancouver had a pretty damn good defense and offense at the time, sometimes you got to give credit to the other team.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:46 PM
nayagamj

are really on the 2nd powerplay unit

nayagamj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 05:22 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos