HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 1: New York vs Washington (Game 1: Wed @ 7:30 MSG+, VS)

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Hattricksue

vCash: 500
Is it Wednesday yet?

Old
04-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Pizza

I'm very glad no one is picking us to win it.

Old
04-11-2011, 07:01 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I'm very glad no one is picking us to win it.
I was actually kinda shocked how one-sided the voting was/is.

I have only seen maybe 20+ of the 200 I have looked at picking the Rangers.

But you're right that it's good to be an underdog in some sense, more pressure on WAS to execute.

I want it to be Wednesday already!

04-11-2011, 07:02 PM
ruckus*

The Capitals are obviously a team full of talent and that deserves a ton of respect. That doesn't worry me though because I don't see the Rangers as a team that fails to respect their opponent.

While the Capitals record to end the season is impressive, let's take a closer look at things.

December is when the Capitals apparently went to their new found defensive system. It was also the month we beat them 7-0 at the Garden. They went on to lose two more after that game, and then reeled off four of five to end the month.

In January they went 5-3-4. Hardly impressive.

In February 6-5-1. The Rangers defeated them 6-0 in Washington the second to last day of the month.

In March is when they "kicked it into gear". 12-2-1 record in that month. If we look closer at those games, 8 of their 12 wins came by one goal. Of the remaining 4 wins, two were decided by 2 goals. The other two wins were a 3-0 victory over the Devils, and a 5-0 whitewash over the worst team in the league, the Edmonton Oilers.

April 3-1. Two one-goal wins over the Sabres in OT and Leafs. A 5-2 win over the Panthers, and then a 1-0 loss to end the season to that same Florida team.

So...what does all this mean?

Well to me it means we've got a team who plays extremely close games every single night out. This isn't the Washington Capitals of old that we need to fear blowing us out of the building. Show respect for Ovechkin and Semin and Backstrom, but this is not the team that we played in 08-09.

This series will be decided by special teams, and that's what makes me less confident. 5 on 5 I have good vibes going into this. Since I don't think we will ever score on a power play, that means our PK must be nearly flawless. Chances of that happening? Not very good, because those are the situations that Hank can't always bail you out on. A deflection, a screen, a rebound that finds a player who isn't covered cause we have one less man on the ice.

But at the end of the day, we're facing a team that has won a TON of one goal games, and we have the best goaltender in the world.

You want to play one goal games against us every night? I'll take Hank every time, and say bring it on.

Let's Go Rangers.

Old
04-11-2011, 07:17 PM
TRASHCAT

that is really really good analysis robruckus

Old
04-11-2011, 07:34 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRASHCAT View Post
that is really really good analysis robruckus
I think the defensive mindset is kind of a catch 22 for the Caps in this one. They've obviously shown an understanding of what their coach wants them to do now, and they clearly have shown that they are capable of winning those close games that you're going to play when you look to play defense first at the expense of your offense.

As a Rangers fan that's why discipline will be key. I'm sure the playoff officials will be brutal as always, but if we can kill penalties and are in tight games, I will take one goal games all series long.

Old
04-11-2011, 07:51 PM
92hatchattack

Henrik is ready......are you?

Old
04-11-2011, 07:53 PM
ruckus*

I love what a competitor Hank is. I know that they're all professional athletes and yada yada yada, but it's so great to not only have the best goalie in the world, but someone who wears his heart on his sleeve.

Old
04-11-2011, 07:55 PM
NYRSchrute217

Any STH's know when we can start picking up our tickets for the playoffs? Figured it was appropriate here, and I've yet to hear from my rep.

Old
04-11-2011, 08:01 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Any STH's know when we can start picking up our tickets for the playoffs? Figured it was appropriate here, and I've yet to hear from my rep.
You should be able to pick them up now. Mine arrived last Wednesday.

Old
04-11-2011, 08:12 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter and wendy View Post
It didn't stop some of the ESPN analysts from picking Chicago, who actually got on the very last day(we were second to last); or the Sabres who weren't a sure thing until about the final few days.

Not that it matters, this team adores the underdog role.
Well, they are the defending champs. Whether it should or not, that counts for a ton when people make these picks. We don't have that pedigree, not even close. We didn't even make it last year.

It's just pain.
Old
04-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
It's too bad nobody gets the idea of "stands" in NA... You could easily squez in another 4000 people to an arena like MSG if you removed 1000 seats. Stands gives you a much better atmosphere too et c.

I don't think the difference between the SEL/Sweden and the NHL/USA is too big these days. Here in Sweden teams started to remove the stands (which were big parts of the arenas some 20 years ago, but everyone regretted it and put the stands back in.

I mean, people stand up when they go to a music concert. Why can't 15% crowd watching a hockey game stand up? And you make money on it, you easily put in 2.5 people per seat you remove, and could definitely charge mor then 50% of the price/seat. And, you get a much better atmosphere in the arena. I mean if the blueseats are loud, imagine what the stands would be in MSG. It's all win, win and win. Nobody gets it though. It's a shame.
Yeah, it's such a big shame. MSG with 4000 faithful fans standing and chanting the entire games would definitely help to lift the roof off and keep a higher minimum - and maximum - chanting standard.

Old
04-11-2011, 08:27 PM
ruckus*

Stands would be amazing. For playoffs anyway.

Old
04-11-2011, 09:02 PM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Yeah, it's such a big shame. MSG with 4000 faithful fans standing and chanting the entire games would definitely help to lift the roof off and keep a higher minimum - and maximum - chanting standard.

Fire codes.

Old
04-11-2011, 09:49 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
You should be able to pick them up now. Mine arrived last Wednesday.
Really? Interesting. Has anyone else picked theirs up at the box office yet?

Old
04-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
The Capitals are obviously a team full of talent and that deserves a ton of respect. That doesn't worry me though because I don't see the Rangers as a team that fails to respect their opponent.

While the Capitals record to end the season is impressive, let's take a closer look at things.

December is when the Capitals apparently went to their new found defensive system. It was also the month we beat them 7-0 at the Garden. They went on to lose two more after that game, and then reeled off four of five to end the month.

In January they went 5-3-4. Hardly impressive.

In February 6-5-1. The Rangers defeated them 6-0 in Washington the second to last day of the month.

In March is when they "kicked it into gear". 12-2-1 record in that month. If we look closer at those games, 8 of their 12 wins came by one goal. Of the remaining 4 wins, two were decided by 2 goals. The other two wins were a 3-0 victory over the Devils, and a 5-0 whitewash over the worst team in the league, the Edmonton Oilers.

April 3-1. Two one-goal wins over the Sabres in OT and Leafs. A 5-2 win over the Panthers, and then a 1-0 loss to end the season to that same Florida team.

So...what does all this mean?

Well to me it means we've got a team who plays extremely close games every single night out. This isn't the Washington Capitals of old that we need to fear blowing us out of the building. Show respect for Ovechkin and Semin and Backstrom, but this is not the team that we played in 08-09.

This series will be decided by special teams, and that's what makes me less confident. 5 on 5 I have good vibes going into this. Since I don't think we will ever score on a power play, that means our PK must be nearly flawless. Chances of that happening? Not very good, because those are the situations that Hank can't always bail you out on. A deflection, a screen, a rebound that finds a player who isn't covered cause we have one less man on the ice.

But at the end of the day, we're facing a team that has won a TON of one goal games, and we have the best goaltender in the world.

You want to play one goal games against us every night? I'll take Hank every time, and say bring it on.

Let's Go Rangers.

Bravo. Excellent post.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:12 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92hatchattack View Post
Henrik is ready......are you?

Bonesaw is Ready!

looks like we might just break the thread limit before the game even begins! Good thing it's just the pre-game talk thread and not an early GDT

Old
04-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Blazephr

The key to this series for NYR...stay out of the penalty box. PERIOD. Caps special teams will destroy us, and make us pay dearly if we take too many stupid penalties.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:25 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
The key to this series for NYR...stay out of the penalty box. PERIOD. Caps special teams will destroy us, and make us pay dearly if we take too many stupid penalties.
I would like to point out that Washington has scored ONE ppg against us all season. They are 1 for 15 against us. As dangerous as their power play is, our penalty kill is equally potent. I think "destroys us" is a bit strong but I agree, don't play with fire. Stamp it out under a mountain of body checks!

oh, and meanwhile we have 4 ppgs in 4 games +1 shg.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:28 PM
racer90

some reason, i actually think drury will be an impact player in this series

Old
04-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I would like to point out that Washington has scored ONE ppg against us all season. They are 1 for 15 against us. As dangerous as their power play is, our penalty kill is equally potent. I think "destroys us" is a bit strong but I agree, don't play with fire. Stamp it out under a mountain of body checks!

oh, and meanwhile we have 4 ppgs in 4 games +1 shg.
I honestly think we have to throw all of this out the window. Apples and Oranges.

The playoffs are a completely different animal. I liked what Torts was saying today: the guys are loose, they're focused, and they know they just have to give it 100% per game. Just play it one game at a time!

Let's Go Rangers!

Old
04-11-2011, 10:35 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only Bieber View Post
some reason, i actually think drury will be an impact player in this series
it was only one game but you could see the fire in Drury's belly yeah? Like he knows if he doesn't summon his super hero moniker Captain Clutch out to save the day, he's gonna get bought out by the team he grew up cheering for. Here's to hoping he thinks it's 2007

Old
04-11-2011, 10:37 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
I honestly think we have to throw all of this out the window. Apples and Oranges.

The playoffs are a completely different animal. I liked what Torts was saying today: the guys are loose, they're focused, and they know they just have to give it 100% per game. Just play it one game at a time!

Let's Go Rangers!
for sure. I just think saying they are gonna destroy us is the opposite of being loose and focused. good thing the reality of the game is not the same as the reality of message forums! although in message forum reality, Sather was fired a long time ago...

Old
04-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Richard Brads

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Really? Interesting. Has anyone else picked theirs up at the box office yet?
i got mine at the devils game. they were printed before the rangers were eliminated from having a shot at home ice, so i got round one home game four tix

Old
04-11-2011, 10:52 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Robruckus trying to redeem himself after saying the season is over when the Devils went up 2-1

One thing is for certain in this series...we definitely have the goaltending match up in our favor.

Closed Thread