HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 1: New York vs Washington (Game 1: Wed @ 7:30 MSG+, VS)

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2011, 10:52 PM
ruckus*

vCash: 500
The refs will be a big factor.

We have played such disciplined hockey lately. More so than I can ever remember.

At the same time, it has been during a stretch run and I feel like there have been a bunch of plays (which NEVER should be called, but ALWAYS are in the new NHL) go our way over that span.

I worry about playing the Caps and Ovechkin, especially on the road, and getting called for everything.

2 power plays a game max is what we can allow. Any more than that and we are in trouble.

Problem is, how realistic is that?

Old
04-11-2011, 10:55 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Robruckus trying to redeem himself after saying the season is over when the Devils went up 2-1

One thing is for certain in this series...we definitely have the goaltending match up in our favor.

Heyyy I was AT the Devils game, and I already knew the season was over at that point.

It was the Bruins game at 3-0 that I gave up on.

And if I remember correctly, that worked out quite well.

So I'll let everyone else keep being the better fans, and I'll just keep watching every second of every game and quit on this team when I see fit.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:55 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Heyyy I was AT the Devils game, and I already knew the season was over at that point.

It was the Bruins game at 3-0 that I gave up on.

And if I remember correctly, that worked out quite well.

So I'll let everyone else keep being the better fans, and I'll just keep watching every second of every game and quit on this team when I see fit.
It's working lol. Do what works.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:57 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
It's working lol. Do what works.
Caps in 4 *****esssssssssssss!!!!! Don't even bother watching!

Old
04-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Vogel
Carolina (plus-74) and Toronto (plus-51) had best special teams diff in season. Among playoff teams, TBL (plus-34) and NYR (plus-33) are best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Vogel
Caps have minus-36 special teams differential, (263 PP chances, 299 times on PK) this season. Only MON's -37 is worse among playoff teams.
Stole that from the Caps board was posted on twitter.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:06 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Caps in 4 *****esssssssssssss!!!!! Don't even bother watching!

Old
04-11-2011, 11:08 PM
tpb209

My one question is, what are the lines going to look like for this series? I imagine there will be a fair amount of line juggling during the series, but what will it start with?

Old
04-11-2011, 11:12 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpb209 View Post
My one question is, what are the lines going to look like for this series? I imagine there will be a fair amount of line juggling during the series, but what will it start with?
Vinny Prospal-Artem Anisimov-Marian Gaborik
Brandon Dubinsky-Derek Stepan-Ruslan Fedotenko
Wojtek Wolski-Brian Boyle-Brandon Prust
Mats Zuccarello/Sean Avery-Erik Christensen-Chris Drury

I still think Torts will go with Zuc. I'd be shocked if Avery played in this series at any point. Only if this team is down and has little hope and Torts is just trying to change it up do I expect Avery.

My question is will it be Eminger or Gilroy?

Old
04-11-2011, 11:14 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

I think guys like Fedotenko and Druy are going to be HUGE in this series.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:24 PM
Scooter17

To me, Washington is a team with an identity crisis. They are an extremely talented team offensively that is trying to play a defensive style. Even though they had a good month of March, I feel like they aren't playing to their strengths...which is offense of course. Its too bad for them that Boudreau can't get them to play aggressive offensively, but be responsible defensively as well. Like robuckus said earlier, Washington is not a scary team when they aren't playing offensively. I think this is a good matchup for us because we are a team that is built around good defense and strong goaltending. I don't think Washington will beat us at our own game.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:33 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
The Capitals are obviously a team full of talent and that deserves a ton of respect. That doesn't worry me though because I don't see the Rangers as a team that fails to respect their opponent.

While the Capitals record to end the season is impressive, let's take a closer look at things.

December is when the Capitals apparently went to their new found defensive system. It was also the month we beat them 7-0 at the Garden. They went on to lose two more after that game, and then reeled off four of five to end the month.

In January they went 5-3-4. Hardly impressive.

In February 6-5-1. The Rangers defeated them 6-0 in Washington the second to last day of the month.

In March is when they "kicked it into gear". 12-2-1 record in that month. If we look closer at those games, 8 of their 12 wins came by one goal. Of the remaining 4 wins, two were decided by 2 goals. The other two wins were a 3-0 victory over the Devils, and a 5-0 whitewash over the worst team in the league, the Edmonton Oilers.

April 3-1. Two one-goal wins over the Sabres in OT and Leafs. A 5-2 win over the Panthers, and then a 1-0 loss to end the season to that same Florida team.

So...what does all this mean?

Well to me it means we've got a team who plays extremely close games every single night out. This isn't the Washington Capitals of old that we need to fear blowing us out of the building. Show respect for Ovechkin and Semin and Backstrom, but this is not the team that we played in 08-09.

This series will be decided by special teams, and that's what makes me less confident. 5 on 5 I have good vibes going into this. Since I don't think we will ever score on a power play, that means our PK must be nearly flawless. Chances of that happening? Not very good, because those are the situations that Hank can't always bail you out on. A deflection, a screen, a rebound that finds a player who isn't covered cause we have one less man on the ice.

But at the end of the day, we're facing a team that has won a TON of one goal games, and we have the best goaltender in the world.

You want to play one goal games against us every night? I'll take Hank every time, and say bring it on.

Let's Go Rangers.
Washington has won 26 1 goal games.

Rangers? 21. I dunno if 5 games is a monumental difference in teh 2 teams. Rangers are good in close games too....with that said I still think the Caps win this one.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:33 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Agreed. For all the **** Drury gets around here he is completely rested. Fedotenko has been big in the playoffs for every team he's played for.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:50 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Washington has won 26 1 goal games.

Rangers? 21. I dunno if 5 games is a monumental difference in teh 2 teams. Rangers are good in close games too....with that said I still think the Caps win this one.
I'm not trying to argue it's a big difference. But when you think of the Washington Capitals you think of an explosive team that scores goals and beats a lot of teams big. That isn't the Capitals of this season. Your statistic only proves that these two teams play tight games, and at the end of the day I'll take our goaltender over theirs. Specialty teams can and will be the thing that can sway that.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:51 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:

I hope so. Fedotenko is a gamer. I'm glad he's finally getting more ice-time with some better players lately. It's out of necessity, but I have a lot of confidence with him out there.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:59 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
I hope so. Fedotenko is a gamer. I'm glad he's finally getting more ice-time with some better players lately. It's out of necessity, but I have a lot of confidence with him out there.
You and me both. He's a very smart player. Well built too.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:21 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Wish we had Richards to set him up. Sigh...

Old
04-12-2011, 12:57 AM
BroadwayBlueshirt85

I have a question for those who also have Center Ice but aren't in the Tri-state area...Even though the game is scheduled for Versus once the Detroit game is over, do we still get the rest of the game on one of the Center Ice channels?

Old
04-12-2011, 01:18 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlueshirt85 View Post
I have a question for those who also have Center Ice but aren't in the Tri-state area...Even though the game is scheduled for Versus once the Detroit game is over, do we still get the rest of the game on one of the Center Ice channels?
i have no clue, which is why im DVRing both feeds

Old
04-12-2011, 01:19 AM
Hattricksue

I think if they can win atleast one game out of the first two at Washington.... I think they will win the series

Old
04-12-2011, 01:54 AM
darko

Quote:
We have played such disciplined hockey lately. More so than I can ever remember.

At the same time, it has been during a stretch run and I feel like there have been a bunch of plays (which NEVER should be called, but ALWAYS are in the new NHL) go our way over that span.

I worry about playing the Caps and Ovechkin, especially on the road, and getting called for everything.

2 power plays a game max is what we can allow. Any more than that and we are in trouble.

Problem is, how realistic is that?

Opposing teams have had 13 powerplays in last 9 games. 4 of those powerplays have come in 1 game (Philly). We do this against washington and we give ourselves a good chance to beat them.

Old
04-12-2011, 03:03 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Is it Wednesday yet?

Bart, tellum how we feel!

Old
04-12-2011, 05:11 AM
Camenzuli

Where to watch the games in NYC?

So I'm guessing most decent bars would have the first two away games on but is there anything special going on at let's say for example Stout or Blarney Rock for these games? It would be fun to meet some of you guys!

So excited about the playoffs!

Old
04-12-2011, 07:01 AM
AJRanger

These last couple of days have dragged like hell. Win, lose, sweep, whatever, I'm immensely proud of what this team's done this season. Having a post-season's just a great bonus.

Old
04-12-2011, 07:08 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

I would've been incredibly disappointed if we missed the POs this year, considering we were in continuous contention since October 29th.

A huge weight fell off my shoulders when Tampa won.

Old
04-12-2011, 07:11 AM
AJRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
I would've been incredibly disappointed if we missed the POs this year, considering we were in continuous contention since October 29th.

A huge weight fell off my shoulders when Tampa won.
Definitely. Given where they'd been all season it would have been a disappointment to miss out that late. I wasn't expecting them to make the playoffs at the start of the season though, so it's still a nice bonus on early expectations.

Closed Thread