HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian "Gretzky" Boyle?

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2011, 11:45 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Thanks for the uplifting statistics just before we start the playoffs.

Think positive!

Old
04-11-2011, 11:45 PM
OverTheCap

I've been saying this for awhile now. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with fatigue because he's never played anywhere near this amount of minutes. But he needs to be more physical and crash the net like he did earlier in the season. I've seen him try to make finesse plays and it just doesn't work because he's not a skilled player.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:46 PM
Groot
I am Groot.

Definitely effects his contract this summer. He doesn't get more than 2 million a year.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:47 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
He's also a GREAT locker room guy, it looks like. Always the last off the ice and him, Marty and Prust always would do that weird celebration high five thing.
Torts and the beatwriters keep talking about how this is a tight knit hockey club.... I think that definitely plays a huge part in how these guys carry themselves on the ice...

Old
04-11-2011, 11:52 PM
HockeyBurd*

Oh *phew*... I get to restore order to the earth and disagree with you. I don't think his offense has been "smoke and mirrors" at all. Go the NHL.com and rewatch all his goals. They are for the most part created by the way he played, his natural ability, and his natural physical attributes. Hell, his goal production is less smoke and mirrors than Dubinsky's... and I love Dubinsky. Will he replicate this season? I can't write him off. He hasn't been scoring lately. Join the club... well... he already is part of the club... never mind. And he has hit a few posts lately and has been missing wide. Typical of the hot and cold streaks that all non elite players go through. This is how they score. That's how most 20 goal scorer seasons look.

I pretty much never wanted to see Boyle again before this season started. He made me eat crow. His season has been all around excellent. Both ends of the ice. He has taken a beating and kept going. He has been a perfect compliment to Prust. After this season I definitely give him the benefit of the doubt and welcome him back with open arms next season. Heck, this season isn't even over yet. He'll most likely have to be an integral part of any success they will have.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:57 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

If we're relying on Brian Boyle for our offense we have big problems.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:01 AM
useref15

Well, I for one did not expect him to continue his goal scoring. His 21 goals or how ever many he is a fluke to me, honestly. He will never score more then say 12 in a year, again. I'd like to be wrong, but I just don't see it.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:03 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Oh *phew*... I get to restore order to the earth and disagree with you. I don't think his offense has been "smoke and mirrors" at all. Go the NHL.com and rewatch all his goals. They are for the most part created by the way he played, his natural ability, and his natural physical attributes. Hell, his goal production is less smoke and mirrors than Dubinsky's... and I love Dubinsky. Will he replicate this season? I can't write him off. He hasn't been scoring lately. Join the club... well... he already is part of the club... never mind. And he has hit a few posts lately and has been missing wide. Typical of the hot and cold streaks that all non elite players go through. This is how they score. That's how most 20 goal scorer seasons look.
Yep, 100% spot on.

Nothing in Boyle's season this year screams fluke. Granted, 21 goals might end up being his career best when it's all said and done, his impact on the ice is likely to only improve over the next two or three seasons as he gains more confidence/gets a boost in playing time/PP/etc.

I'd be fine giving him a 4 year deal assuming the annual pay is less than 2.5.

Old
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
I'd put him on the block once we get him a new deal. See if anyone will wow us with an offer for him.

Old
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
If we're relying on Brian Boyle for our offense we have big problems.
I don't care if your ass has been playing on the 1st, 2nd, or 4th line: I expect EVERYONE to show-up and at least create offensive chances.

Boyle has impressed me this season. He almost multiplied his last season best, 6X! That's something in my book! Give him another chance. We now know what he's capable of and he better bring it.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:04 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by useref15 View Post
Well, I for one did not expect him to continue his goal scoring. His 21 goals or how ever many he is a fluke to me, honestly. He will never score more then say 12 in a year, again. I'd like to be wrong, but I just don't see it.
I might be on board with this prediction if he hadn't improved a major element of his game (skating) prior to this season.... There is absolutely a correlation between his new-found skating and his results this year. You can clearly see how his skating has contributed to increased scoring chances, and getting him to areas of the ice (and faster) that he might not have gotten to last year.... I don't know if he'll score 20 again, especially if we develop some players that pass him on the depth chart, but I could see him being a 15 goal guy and contributing in other areas of the ice (the way he has been).

Old
04-12-2011, 12:06 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
im happy we got as much out of him as we did so far

Old
04-12-2011, 12:17 AM
Emptyvoid

If the rangers were considering trading Boyle this would be the perfect selling high scenario.

I have a hard time seeing Boyle replicating his success this season because, as someone said before, much of the offense was 'smoke and mirrors'.

Boyle did a good job capitalizing on the few opportunities he had, however he is not good enough offensively to create said opportunities on a consistent basis. I feel he will be honed in more and those opportunities will be even less so now.

Just my take on it, hopefully he proves me wrong.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:19 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
he just needs a tune up from the Academy of Underhill. Dare I say 'typical' of manic-depressive Ranger fans? I suppose Del Zotto is also doomed? Or, power forwards take longer to develop. Well, I don't want to put crazy labels on him. He got better and then lost steam at the end of this season. Can we wait till the season is over at least? Can we wait till half of next season is over at least? A large part of how Ranger fans will view Boyle's value and whether to turn on him or not will be what type of contract he signs himself to. If he's on for 3 years at $1.2M I think people will cut him more slack for being a good cap value.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:21 AM
ecemleafs

it seemed like he hit a lot of posts late in the year. He also slowed down a bit and wasnt running players over with hits like he was earlier in the season. Probably fatigued down the stretch.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:21 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'd put him on the block once we get him a new deal. See if anyone will wow us with an offer for him.
agreed. or if we could use him and a few other redundant pieces to get a better player. i wonder what it would take to get Evander Kane out of Atlanta.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:39 AM
Janerixon

Quote:
Gotta love the Boyle bashers... the guy plays with such offensive powerhouses this season as Brandon Prust, Fedotenko, and Avery. He gets ZERO PP time, EC gets a minute per PP and Boyle and his 21 goals get none. That's right, NONE. He plays against teams top players like Staal, Ovie, Carter, etc. every night. He gets a ton of PK time where he manages to produce points when most players are just trying to kill penalties. Also the guy has never played so much, its quite obvious he and Prust are worn down from so much usage this season. If you look at Fedotenko he seems to be producing and adding a spark wherever he plays, probably cause he has been rested for long stretches why Boyle and Prust as well have never been given a break. Hopefully drury takes some pressure off Boyle and he is given some chances with offensive minded players. Boyle is not a playmaker, he can finish though which is one reason that I can't stan he isn't given a chance on the PP. Hard to predict his totals for next season, depends on his role, his line mates and if he is given PP time IMO. 15-25 goals depending on those factors, but that remains to be seen. I would hate to see him go, reminds me of a Keith Primeau type who has the defensive skills and scoring ability, just needs to use his size and play more physical at times. Lets see what he does in the playoffs.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:43 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
Gotta love the Boyle bashers... the guy plays with such offensive powerhouses this season as Brandon Prust, Fedotenko, and Avery. He gets ZERO PP time, EC gets a minute per PP and Boyle and his 21 goals get none. That's right, NONE. He plays against teams top players like Staal, Ovie, Carter, etc. every night. He gets a ton of PK time where he manages to produce points when most players are just trying to kill penalties. Also the guy has never played so much, its quite obvious he and Prust are worn down from so much usage this season. If you look at Fedotenko he seems to be producing and adding a spark wherever he plays, probably cause he has been rested for long stretches why Boyle and Prust as well have never been given a break. Hopefully drury takes some pressure off Boyle and he is given some chances with offensive minded players. Boyle is not a playmaker, he can finish though which is one reason that I can't stan he isn't given a chance on the PP. Hard to predict his totals for next season, depends on his role, his line mates and if he is given PP time IMO. 15-25 goals depending on those factors, but that remains to be seen. I would hate to see him go, reminds me of a Keith Primeau type who has the defensive skills and scoring ability, just needs to use his size and play more physical at times. Lets see what he does in the playoffs.
Boyle has also had numerous shifts with Cally, Dubi, Gabby, etc and has looked very much out of place imho. Also both Feds and Prust have doubled Boyles productions in the last 20ish games.

Dont get me wrong, im happy with Boyles season as a whole, but i think his offensive evaporation has hurt us. If I'm sather, I dont pay this guy more than a typical 4th line center makes...whatever that is.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:45 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Yep, 100% spot on.

Nothing in Boyle's season this year screams fluke. Granted, 21 goals might end up being his career best when it's all said and done, his impact on the ice is likely to only improve over the next two or three seasons as he gains more confidence/gets a boost in playing time/PP/etc.

I'd be fine giving him a 4 year deal assuming the annual pay is less than 2.5.
I don't think he's a fluke as a solid defensive role player, but goal-scoring wise, there were a lot of fluky goals, and a lot of goals that only happened because early in the season he was being paid no attention to by opposing defenses. I don't think it's a coincidence that his scoring slowed down. Now teams know he has a wrist shot, so they don't give him as much freedom.

They also know that, despite his size, he's not very physical, so they can take him into the corner or the boards and not pay too hefty a price.

While he's here, if you want to maximize offense from him, he should be on the wing.

Quote:
Absolutely. I think he's by far the most expendable player on the roster that holds any sort of value and that might generate any sort of interest. Preferably, he'll be offered up as part of a package.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:56 AM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Boyle has also had numerous shifts with Cally, Dubi, Gabby, etc and has looked very much out of place imho. Also both Feds and Prust have doubled Boyles productions in the last 20ish games.

Dont get me wrong, im happy with Boyles season as a whole, but i think his offensive evaporation has hurt us. If I'm sather, I dont pay this guy more than a typical 4th line center makes...whatever that is.
Numerous shifts? really as in the game in Atlanta where he played with Gaborik (who is not a playmaker but a finisher and really tore it up this season) and the few games here and there he played with Dubinsky and Cally (probably totaling less than 3 total).

I explained why I think Feds has looked better, he has had a long layoff. Prust doesn't get as much icetime as Boyle as Boyle is on the ice for almost every defensive zone draw in the 3rd period, its usually either him or Dubinsky. Boyle has different responsibilities than Prust, not gonna compare a winger and our shut-down center as not a fair comparison because they have different roles.

Boyle is playing 3rd line center, EC is the 4th line center. Find me a 4th line center under 28 who has 21 goal. Boyle is due a raise, 2 years 2 million a year sounds about right to me, well deserved.

Old
04-12-2011, 01:14 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner View Post
He's a third liner who scored 20 goals for his team, and you want me to harp on him? If anyone is allowed to go on a cold streak, it's a bottom 6 player who overachieved for more than half the season.

Brian Boyle is not the problem. Our bottom 6 as a whole are not the problem. Our superstar forward is the problem. Had Gaborik scored even 10 goals more this season, I bet you we'd be sitting comfortably in 4th or 5th spot.
I have to agree with this.

Even when he was not scoring Boyle busted his butt. Right after Callahan took a Chara shot off the ankle, Boyle dove in front of his next rocket. The guy looks like he's been playing hurt for at least the last month. Boyle's done a fantastic job this year. I'm really pulling for him.

Old
04-12-2011, 01:18 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Numerous shifts? really as in the game in Atlanta where he played with Gaborik (who is not a playmaker but a finisher and really tore it up this season) and the few games here and there he played with Dubinsky and Cally (probably totaling less than 3 total).z

I explained why I think Feds has looked better, he has had a long layoff. Prust doesn't get as much icetime as Boyle as Boyle is on the ice for almost every defensive zone draw in the 3rd period, its usually either him or Dubinsky. Boyle has different responsibilities than Prust, not gonna compare a winger and our shut-down center as not a fair comparison because they have different roles.

Boyle is playing 3rd line center, EC is the 4th line center. Find me a 4th line center under 28 who has 21 goal. Boyle is due a raise, 2 years 2 million a year sounds about right to me, well deserved.
Uh, find me a fourth line center that plays 16 minutes per game.

Old
04-12-2011, 01:19 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
a player like Brian Boyle is destined to go through hot and cold streaks as a goal scorer (that being, a 15-25 goal scorer).

I think I'm with everyone that thinks he should be on the wing at some point. Maybe if Drury steps it up and can handle 3rd line minutes, we can experiment with Boyle on the wing a little bit in the playoffs...
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Gaborik
Wolski-Stepan-Prospal
Fedotenko-Drury-Boyle
Avery-Christensen-Prust

I don't think his season was necessarily a fluke. He's the type of player that's going to go to garbage areas and try to get garbage goals. His season was living proof that if you can get to certain spots on the ice at the right time and have the wheels to position yourself you can score in this league.

The fact that he's very good defensively and could eventually blossom physically (he was a beast in the philly game, and I get the feeling that a playoff series or two under his belt could light more of a fire into his game) is a great sign. Whether it means he sticks with us or we deal him for something valuable.

Old
04-12-2011, 01:21 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Numerous shifts? really as in the game in Atlanta where he played with Gaborik (who is not a playmaker but a finisher and really tore it up this season) and the few games here and there he played with Dubinsky and Cally (probably totaling less than 3 total).

2 mil a year?!??!?! isnt that what Cally makes right now?

boyle makes 525k right now, id sign him for 1-1.25 mil, tops. 2 mil, for 3/4ths of a good season, roflmao.

Old
04-12-2011, 01:23 AM
Janerixon

Quote:
Uh, find me a fourth line center that plays 16 minutes per game.
Thats right, cause he isn't a 4th line center! He is a 3rd line center, Inferno is saying pay him as if he is a 4th line center. EC has been our 4th line center for that last 2-3 weeks, now Drury is. Maybe Boyle will get Drury money

Closed Thread