HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

You may be an ATD'er if....

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2011, 06:53 PM
  #101
seventieslord
Registered User
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
I try and plan the nights my gf comes over to avoid potential nights I pick in the ATD.
lol, good call.

my wife feels totally cheated here. I met her during the lockout and she must not have really understood how crazy about hockey I was. We were dating for almost a year when the 05-06 season started. at the same time I found the Leafs boards and half a year later hfboards. She didn't think she was signing up for all this hockey-related baggage.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 12:55 AM
  #102
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Haha, me getting my wife to join me in the ATD... that's a laugh and a half. No, I just mean doing the ATD when married and/or parenting.
I am married and have three kids. I think it's helped me with my negotiation skills.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 01:28 AM
  #103
Derick*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,624
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
lol, good call.

my wife feels totally cheated here. I met her during the lockout and she must not have really understood how crazy about hockey I was. We were dating for almost a year when the 05-06 season started. at the same time I found the Leafs boards and half a year later hfboards. She didn't think she was signing up for all this hockey-related baggage.
You have a wife? I thought geniuses like you didn't have time for relationships.

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 01:51 AM
  #104
Jafar
Keep it logical
 
Jafar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,695
vCash: 50
Wife : '' you think I gained some weight ? ''
Husband: '' prefer saying you have more depth ''

Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 01:57 AM
  #105
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
Wife : '' you think I gained some weight ? ''
Husband: '' prefer saying you have more depth ''
nice

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 03:10 AM
  #106
seventieslord
Registered User
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
I am married and have three kids. I think it's helped me with my negotiation skills.
Really, I had no idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognition View Post
You have a wife? I thought geniuses like you didn't have time for relationships.
Geniuses find time to do it all. I work 2 hours of OT a day as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
Wife : '' you think I gained some weight ? ''
Husband: '' prefer saying you have more depth ''
brilliant!

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 03:31 AM
  #107
Jafar
Keep it logical
 
Jafar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,695
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
brilliant!
Husband: ''But when I married you you had top end talent ''

Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 07:24 AM
  #108
papershoes
Registered User
 
papershoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kenora, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
by the way, I've been meaning to ask, are LL and I the only two ATD GMs who dare try this with a wife and/or child?
married with a little one on the way...

papershoes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 07:44 AM
  #109
EagleBelfour
Registered User
 
EagleBelfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,125
vCash: 500
Single, can't hold into a relationship more than 2 months. I hope I'll be a father one day.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 08:05 AM
  #110
Jafar
Keep it logical
 
Jafar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,695
vCash: 50
I'm also single , been fooling around a lot the past 2 years.
I'm starting to keep an eye open for a good woman but the hunt still thrills me.

Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:34 PM
  #111
HomeNugget
Registered User
 
HomeNugget's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Downriver, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 100
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HomeNugget
My wife loves hockey. She's been helping me research my picks.

HomeNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 07:39 AM
  #112
EagleBelfour
Registered User
 
EagleBelfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeNugget View Post
My wife loves hockey. She's been helping me research my picks.
Might god, that's what we call a real keeper! And you were smart enough to put a ring on it, good for you

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 07:59 AM
  #113
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17,383
vCash: 500
Yeah


Last edited by VanIslander: 06-15-2011 at 05:25 PM.
VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 03:04 PM
  #114
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 500
It's great to see new GMs with so much enthusiasm. My wife understands that I love history, and doesn't really differentiate between me reading about Roman generals and western league hockey players.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:51 AM
  #115
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
...I do not consider myself, nor like being called an 'hockey historian', because I am not. I am a hockey history buff, even a fanatic,...
HERE, HERE!

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:54 PM
  #116
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 500
Insofar as we work with the raw material of history, we are all historians, and it is simply a matter of whether we choose to be good ones or not so good ones. Eagle underrates himself, and badly, as a means of dodging legitimate criticism. His profiles remain the single best source of historical information about most of the players he chooses to work on whether or not he actually takes himself seriously.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 03:44 AM
  #117
EagleBelfour
Registered User
 
EagleBelfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Insofar as we work with the raw material of history, we are all historians, and it is simply a matter of whether we choose to be good ones or not so good ones. Eagle underrates himself, and badly, as a means of dodging legitimate criticism. His profiles remain the single best source of historical information about most of the players he chooses to work on whether or not he actually takes himself seriously.
I don't believe that because we work with historical document that we are all historian. There's a manner and scientific ways to use those documents properly, and I don't consider having the knowledge and expertise to use those documents in an impartial, unbiased and scientific way.

You are certainly right when you say that I'm trying to dodge criticism, it's a fact. However, as I will always try to answer any question to be the best of my abilities and be as unbiased as possible, the fact remain that I am participating in the ATD for the entertainment that it brings me, and not for the advancement of hockey history. Hell, if both can coexist together I'm a happy camper, but the ATD remain a pastime only, albeit a very nice one. It's not that I cannot take criticism, it's more that I want to keep the line that I drawn; that although I'm putting more and work hours into the ATD, it always remain a fun experience. As soon as the ATD will become work, I'll quit without a second thought.

Hopefully I'm making sense. I'm not sure I was able to properly write down my thought on that matter.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:25 AM
  #118
Leafs Forever
Registered User
 
Leafs Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
I don't believe that because we work with historical document that we are all historian. There's a manner and scientific ways to use those documents properly, and I don't consider having the knowledge and expertise to use those documents in an impartial, unbiased and scientific way.

You are certainly right when you say that I'm trying to dodge criticism, it's a fact. However, as I will always try to answer any question to be the best of my abilities and be as unbiased as possible, the fact remain that I am participating in the ATD for the entertainment that it brings me, and not for the advancement of hockey history. Hell, if both can coexist together I'm a happy camper, but the ATD remain a pastime only, albeit a very nice one. It's not that I cannot take criticism, it's more that I want to keep the line that I drawn; that although I'm putting more and work hours into the ATD, it always remain a fun experience. As soon as the ATD will become work, I'll quit without a second thought.

Hopefully I'm making sense. I'm not sure I was able to properly write down my thought on that matter.
You act like historians aren't bias (Believe me, they are).

Legit, much of the historian is just being able to argue about history using the evidence available and finding such evidence. From that perspective, we'd all pass.
Le

Leafs Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 05:48 PM
  #119
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17,383
vCash: 500
You may be an ATD'er if the biggest sin you've committed in life was on the ATD board. My apologizes. Forgive me.

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:38 PM
  #120
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,273
vCash: 500
If this is the worst thing you ever did, you have led a much holier life than I.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:42 PM
  #121
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
If this is the worst thing you ever did, you have led a much holier life than I.
Or else I did something very, very bad on the board.

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:01 PM
  #122
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,273
vCash: 500
I'm more or less aware of what happened, and it's the kind of thing that I may have done myself back when I was 19....

Zamboni Mania is the one that really confuses me.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:06 PM
  #123
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Zamboni Mania is the one that really confuses me.
We were short a team back in ATD11 I believe, and recruiting efforts didn't surface a 32nd team. The later foray in the MLDs were, well, an addiction, good intentions gone bad, all run amock, yet even then, all picks were intended to be the best available. Zamboni Mania teams never did well in rankings or playoffs, votes tallied by an outsider, as per tradition when I ran the drafts. No hanky panky there.

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:10 PM
  #124
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,572
vCash: 500
Maybe I'm out of the loop, but I have no idea what's going one here

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:21 PM
  #125
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,273
vCash: 500
Check the roster thread carefully. If you've been around forums long enough, you'll know what it means

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.