HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kreider is staying at BC (Won't change mind. Summer school)

Old
04-12-2011, 01:03 AM
NinthSpoke06

vCash: 500
This thread is just ridiculous. I would be pretty embarrassed if I we're a Ranger fan. I used to love coming here to talk Kreider and BC with you guys, but looks like that isn't happening anymore.

NinthSpoke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:22 AM
Zil

As expected, this is just York jumping the gun:

Quote:
The Post has learned the Rangers do not believe that 2009 first-round draft choice Chris Kreider has made an irrevocable decision to return to Boston College next year for his junior season, though that's what Eagles head coach Jerry York announced yesterday.

It is believed that the Blueshirts are in communication with the winger, who will turn 20 on April 30. The Post last week was told by an individual close to Kreider that he is leaning toward returning to school.
Link: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...vTWuKZdoXwIK/1

Zil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:33 AM
Pugs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
As expected, this is just York jumping the gun:

Link: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...vTWuKZdoXwIK/1
If this is really York just playing the media against Kreider in order to guilt him into coming back, then this seems like a pretty crappy move by a head coach. Who knows what's really going on at this point, though.

Anyway, we'll find out soon enough and thankfully in 2 days we'll have more tangible things to discuss.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 02:13 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Just click the EDIT button? You don't have that option?
I was a bad boy.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 02:18 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Sure Im a bit disappointed but I also can understand him staying at BC.

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 03:32 AM
eco's bones

I think most all of us Rangers fans would love to see Kreider sign with the Rangers. Chris is the one who will have to decide what he wants to do. I think he loves being at BC and I have an idea that he and his family are keen on his education. If he doesn't see himself as a one dimensional human being with hockey on his mind all the time I can live with that. I have a daughter who will be a junior next year as well and the way I see it it's not just an education--it's personal growth--and it's not always about what can make you the most money.

The Rangers have a chance to sell him on turning pro over the summer like they did with both Stepan and McDonagh last year. For now it's best to leave it at that. If he decides to go back to BC we'll just have to wait. In regard to Jerry York though and his impact on Kreider's decision--if Chris decides to stick with BC and he doesn't move Chris up to the first line I'm going to be seriously disappointed.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 05:59 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
This is the most selfish and ridiculous logic I've ever heard. Detrimental to the organization!? HAHAHAHAHA, yeah Kreider is the real problem here, so lets get on his ass about living his life the way he wants to live it. No one forces you to pay that $125, and no you are not entitled to Kreider's tenure with the Rangers, or any other player. When those ticket sales actually ARE paying paying for his salary, then you can ***** all you want. Until then, people should be getting bent out of shape with people with the organization who actually negatively impact it while getting paid to do so. (Which most, already do, rightfully so.) People just never have enough **** to ***** about I guess.

Also, you realize you can have fun in college without getting wasted every night right?

Yes, SupersonicMonkey, I understand no offered was made here, I am just responding to the people who are getting on a KID assuming he would want to really stay in college.

Ridiculous response.

So if I'm a season ticket holder, I dont have a right to have an opinion on the players who could one day make my team better?

I'm sure you've never complained about anything Rangers-related, right?

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 06:09 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanSeguin View Post
This thread is just ridiculous. I would be pretty embarrassed if I we're a Ranger fan. I used to love coming here to talk Kreider and BC with you guys, but looks like that isn't happening anymore.

Why should we be embarrassed? Every Bruins fan was ecstatic that Colborne left after two seasons to play in the AHL. If you can show me one Bruins fan who was upset Colborne didnt stay at UD to finish his education, then understand.

I'm upset because I want Kreider to play in the AHL. You're just upset because he might not play for the eagles next season.

Old
04-12-2011, 06:22 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

People get too emotional over these things. Ryan McDonagh was named captain of Wisconsin and he still turned pro. He wavered in his decision. One week McD was leaning towards staying and then it was he is leaning towards turning pro. The Rangers didn't contact him until late April-early May.

Derek Stepan said on two occasions that he was returning to Wisconsin. After the WJC was over and then later that spring on the Pipeline Show prospects show based out of Edmonton. His parents wanted him to stay in school and get his degree. 4-6 weeks later Stepan accepted the Rangers offer.

Kreider hasn't said anything. McDonagh didn't say anything either until he attended the Rangers prospects game. Badgers beat writer Andy Baggot wrote McD was going to base his decision on the Rangers plans for him. He wanted to get a feel for the organization because he was drafted by Montreal and had never attended a Rangers prospects camp. Someone leaked that to Baggot and he was 100% correct. He liked the experience and he signed two days after prospects camp ended.

According to Brooks,the Rangers are talking with Kreider. His advisor Matt Keator is involved in those discussions.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 06:51 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

you guys need to cool your jets. if kreider wants to go back to school and play college hockey, whats the big deal? for all of you saying he could suffer a career ending injury in the NCAA and not collect an NHL salary, his career could also end on the first pro shift and he would have nothing to fall back on. sure he would still be getting paid, but an ELC isnt that much money once you pay off your education. its funny how you guys seem to be getting P I S S E D because he might not go pro, and im actually getting some humor out of it. :-)

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:13 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Tony Voce, Ben eaves, Jeff Farkas, Blake Bellefeuille, Benn Ferriero, Marty Reasoner, Ryan Haggerty to name a few.

Outside of Gionta, has any York-coached forward gone on to score 30 goals at the NHL level?

Before York took over, BC developed Kevin Stevens, Craig Janney, Joe Mullen and Billy Guerin.

Not a single BC-trained forward since York took over has gone on to have a career like the aforementioned.
Reasoner - I agree. But look at the pedigrees of the other players you mentioned - Voce undrafted, Eaves 4th round, Farkas 3rd round, Bellefeuille undrafted, Ferriero 7th round, Haggerty 5th round.

It's not like these kids were 1st round or even top-60 can't miss prospects. If anything you could say York helped some of these players overacheive by even having the college careers they did. Regardless it's hard to blame a program for an undrafted kid not making it. York and BC, until very recently, simply have not gotten top flight NHL prospect talent.

How can you expect a school whose best players are consistently sub-6 ft to have a long track record of NHL 30-goal scorers? I agree that York is 100% focused on BC winning. That is why he finds such great college players but with few exceptions never lands great NHL prospects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
York is also a jerk of a human being, but that is besides the point.
Fitzy, I know you hate BC, but this is ridiculous. Jerry York is widely considered one of the nicest and classiest coaches in college hockey and is also undoubtedly one of the most respected around the nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
This is why, despite my love for the NCAA, I wish Kreider had gone to the QMJHL.
Again, Fitzy, you're better than this. What would Kreider learn in the Q? He would sure put up gaudy numbers by using his physical gifts (size & speed) to manhandle people. But that doesn't teach him to play smarter or expose him to the level of mature, physical play that the NCAA does.

04-12-2011, 07:19 AM
dccuse

Quote:
agreed.

this is more than just our hobby. its the kids life. give him a damn break this is absurd. besides whats the worst that happens? he arrives a year later bigger, stronger and faster? How horrible.

How anyone can call him an idiot or a fool is beyond me - youre posting on a message board - keep things in perspective.

dccuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:21 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Yeah, for sure.

We can debate the merits of his decision, but he is more than welcome to pick whichever path he likes.

No need to call the kid an idiot.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:24 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Why should we be embarrassed? Every Bruins fan was ecstatic that Colborne left after two seasons to play in the AHL. If you can show me one Bruins fan who was upset Colborne didnt stay at UD to finish his education, then understand.

I'm upset because I want Kreider to play in the AHL. You're just upset because he might not play for the eagles next season.
This. It's one thing to be upset that Kreider is going back to BC- that's absolutely understandable. It's another thing to call him a ****ing idiot for doing so, but people are acting like it's wrong to be disappointed he won't turn pro (even though I bet he does.)

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:41 AM
Levitate

Quote:
I'm embarrassed about the people flipping out and calling him names and acting like it's the end of the world, but I do believe that it wouldn't be the greatest decision to go back for a 3rd year...and that's less to do with BC and York and all of that and more to do with the fact that I feel like Kreider absolutely needs as much playing time as he can get, as many actual games as he can get. He needs to develop that in game awareness and aggressiveness that only comes with experience, and a heavy pro schedule at this point is what I think is best.

But I'll also admit I may be biased and hoping to see him sooner rather than later. Sometimes it's tough to keep that bias from creeping in.

In the end it's not the worst thing if he goes back, he just really really needs to play a lot in all situations and to make the most of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko23 View Post
you guys need to cool your jets. if kreider wants to go back to school and play college hockey, whats the big deal? for all of you saying he could suffer a career ending injury in the NCAA and not collect an NHL salary, his career could also end on the first pro shift and he would have nothing to fall back on. sure he would still be getting paid, but an ELC isnt that much money once you pay off your education. its funny how you guys seem to be getting P I S S E D because he might not go pro, and im actually getting some humor out of it. :-)
Contracts are insured...I'd be interested to see what that would pay out if he was injured in the AHL versus the NHL, but in the end I'm pretty sure he'd be taken care of if he was injured while playing for the Rangers

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:46 AM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Oh, bu-hu. Somebody PLEASE praise York and BC so NathanSeguin won't leave our board! PLEASE!!!

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 08:01 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Would rather see him in Hartford. He needs tougher competition.
Wouldn't it be better for Kreider to stay and dominate college hockey? Become a Hobey Baker award type of player and etc. This really is an interesting situation with Kreider.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 08:05 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Ridiculous response.

So if I'm a season ticket holder, I dont have a right to have an opinion on the players who could one day make my team better?

I'm sure you've never complained about anything Rangers-related, right?
Haha, yeah I have *****ed about Ranger related things. Who hasn't here? As I said people should be *****ing about the negatives on the Rangers NOW, those that are getting paid by them NOW to be positive, and people do rightfully so. However not some kid who isn't even signed yet.

No, you don't have a "right" to criticize someone else's life choice, sorry. Sure you CAN do it, but it's pretty lame.

Old
04-12-2011, 08:08 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Call me selfish, I don't care. This kid is a stud and i want to see him in a Rangers jersey ASAP.

Old
04-12-2011, 08:10 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
How is pointing out BC's program supposed to provide anyone with an honest evaluation of his play and development? Chris Kreider played on their 2nd line with the Hayes brothers, did he not? He's been on their 2nd PP unit this season, right? Gets PK time as well.... Look at how his scoring was distributed this season... He started off the season extremely slow, didn't he?

I saw BC play about 4 games this year on TV, and also watched the WJC's..... So far, Kreider looks to be more of a complimentary player out on the ice.... He doesn't take over games and control the play out on the ice with the puck on his stick.... He's good at finishing, but if he's not being set up for scoring opportunities or getting his odd chances, you might not notice him on the ice too much. His play has been underwhelming IMHO. He has a lot of work to do on his game before he's ready to live up to the expectations that many Ranger fans have for him....
Interesting post about Kreider. He did get plenty of ice time last year with BC. Kreider no doubt has the size and skills to be a solid NHL player. He is a prospect that just needs more development time. No need to rush Kreider. I agree.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 08:12 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Haha, yeah I have *****ed about Ranger related things. Who hasn't here? As I said people should be *****ing about the negatives on the Rangers NOW, those that are getting paid by them NOW to be positive, and people do rightfully so. However not some kid who isn't even signed yet.

No, you don't have a "right" to criticize someone else's life choice, sorry. Sure you CAN do it, but it's pretty lame.

Yeah, I'm sure if Chris Drury made the "life choice" to not waive his NMC because he likes NYC and his family here, thus killing a possible trade that would have made the Rangers a better team, you would be soooooo supportive of his decision.

Old
04-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Levitate

I think people hoping for Kreider to become a dominant player who control the play with the puck on his stick are going to be disappointed no matter what...

nothing I've ever seen from him points to him being that kind of player.

but that doesn't mean he can't become a very good player who still scores goals and plays a top six role. Not every good player is one who plays the game by always controlling the puck.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 08:25 AM
GAGLine

Something that seems to be overlooked here, is that Kreider dreamed of, and obviously enjoys, playing college hockey. Yes, he could get hurt and miss out on an NHL contract. If he leaves, he can always go back for his education. But if he leaves, he can never play college hockey again.

None of us are in his position (or ever have been, I'd wager). So none of us have a right to judge his decision. If he stays at BC, sure I'll be disappointed, because I'm anxious to see him play at the pro level. But it's still his choice, and we need to respect that. I've waited 2 years already to see him in Ranger blue. I can wait another year, or even 2, if necessary. I won't be happy about it, but I realize that my happiness is pretty low on the list of Kreider's priorities.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 08:32 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure if Chris Drury made the "life choice" to not waive his NMC because he likes NYC and his family here, thus killing a possible trade that would have made the Rangers a better team, you would be soooooo supportive of his decision.
Dude, what aren't you comprehending here about the difference between a 7 million dollar overpaid roster player and a KID without a contract? The comparison is so completely different I can't believe you are even attempting to make it.

Old
04-12-2011, 08:50 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Something that seems to be overlooked here, is that Kreider dreamed of, and obviously enjoys, playing college hockey. Yes, he could get hurt and miss out on an NHL contract. If he leaves, he can always go back for his education. But if he leaves, he can never play college hockey again.

None of us are in his position (or ever have been, I'd wager). So none of us have a right to judge his decision. If he stays at BC, sure I'll be disappointed, because I'm anxious to see him play at the pro level. But it's still his choice, and we need to respect that. I've waited 2 years already to see him in Ranger blue. I can wait another year, or even 2, if necessary. I won't be happy about it, but I realize that my happiness is pretty low on the list of Kreider's priorities.
That's what I think it is. I don't think this is an education thing.

Probably has more to do with wanting to play college hockey.

If that's the case, don't expect him here for a couple more years.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote