HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 1: New York vs Washington (Game 1: Wed @ 7:30 MSG+, VS)

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2011, 07:21 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
Definitely. Given where they'd been all season it would have been a disappointment to miss out that late. I wasn't expecting them to make the playoffs at the start of the season though, so it's still a nice bonus on early expectations.
Yeah, there were stretches when it looked like the team would go on a huge nosedive, but still, we managed to stay in the top eight.
Imagine landing in 9th place again. Baaaaaaaaaarf.

And I don't expect this team to win a cup or something this year though, but nothing beats the intensity of playoff hockey. And the experience itself is valuable for the kids.

Old
04-12-2011, 07:33 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
Yeah, there were stretches when it looked like the team would go on a huge nosedive, but still, we managed to stay in the top eight.
Imagine landing in 9th place again. Baaaaaaaaaarf.

And I don't expect this team to win a cup or something this year though, but nothing beats the intensity of playoff hockey. And the experience itself is valuable for the kids.
Agreed, its so important to make the PO's.

We have all been around a non-PO team alot. If you miss the PO's, the only thing people around a team talk about the season after is if the team will make the PO's or not, all season thats the main topic -- and that seem to really get to the players.

I mean if we loose to Capitals this season, and AO puts on a show, you have Marc Staal entering the summer really pissed wanting to improve so that he won't get beaten by AO again.

Old
04-12-2011, 07:36 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

see, there were stretches where we lost a few games in a row, i think one where we lost like 6 or 7 or something like that but they were always super close games that didn't go our way. i think the reason ppl soured so much on this team at the end was that they had 2 HUGE clunkers when it really really mattered and that's all ppl seemed to remember...not the fact that they played .731 hockey the final month of the season...the fact that they had those 2 bad games.

2 bad games does not a season make. This has been an OUTSTANDING season for the Rangers. Frankly the best one I can remember since the one coming out of the lockout. Except this team is winning through youth, not on the shoulders of an aging superstar. which is why the future is definitely brighter today than it has been in a LOOOOONG time. Also, this leaves creedence to the whole "putting us over the top" argument with regards to Brad Richards...though, ill say it again, i still think we made a mistake not going with Kovalchuk. IMHO Kovalchuk is a better player than Richards, and, his cap hit is VERY friendly.

Old
04-12-2011, 07:39 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Larry Brooks preview

http://www.nypost.com/video?vxSiteId...&vxBitrate=300

Old
04-12-2011, 07:49 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I mean if we loose to Capitals this season, and AO puts on a show, you have Marc Staal entering the summer really pissed wanting to improve so that he won't get beaten by AO again.
Yeah, exactly. And the kids will be left with a feeling off wanting more as well. Whether you go far or not, just making it is beneficial for the team.

Tomorrow can't come soon enough.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:05 AM
finger11

Can another thread be made for a roll-call for Game 1? I'm going to the game and wouldn't mind meeting up w/ some fellow fans at a bar near Verizon Center pre-game.

I'm expecting to go to Ironhorse Taproom that has a great list of draft beers/$2 off drafts during HH. 1-2 blocks from the arena.

Edit: Or RFD depending on their HH special they announce.

Last edited by finger11: 04-12-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old
04-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Hey guys,

I don't know how else to start my first message so I will introduce myself. I am Ezequiel, 26 years old and live in Holland where I was born and raised. When I was 9 years old, I started to watch NHL intensively after seeing it a couple of times before. Because of a hockey game on my pc, can't remember which one it was, I got stuck with the New York Rangers. I picked a random team in the game and it turned out to be NYR. Ever since then, I have been tracking them. These last few years it got pushed to the background a bit but since October I started to be interested again. It is quite difficult to watch matches since they start at 1 AM local time over here and only going to bed at 4 when you have to get up at 7 doesn't influence your state of mind in a positive manner haha.

My favourite players of the Rangers are Artem Anisimov, Mats Zuccarello and Wojtek Wolski. Don't ask me why, it's just like that

Players who I think don't add enough and should be traded are Sean Avery and Eric Christensen.

I am very positive about the play-offs and hope we can beat the Caps. In the regular season we had some good matches against them and I hope we can pick up the pace after a so-so ending of the season.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Ail
k.

Can it be Wednesday yet?

Old
04-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Can it be Wednesday yet?
I was hoping for a little more time...Just so all the bumps and bruises could heal. I think Prust has played with a bad shoulder for most of the season. Still question if Gabby is even 75% after his injury. Dubi with the fracture in his leg...The list goes on.

But...I am amped for some hockey!

Old
04-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

NYR getting zero respect on the main boards. Winning the season series 3-1, with 2 of those wins being absolute blowouts, you would think less people would be picking the Caps to sweep or win in 5.

I know we're not contenders this year, but it would sure be nice to shut up the haters and win a series or two...

Old
04-12-2011, 09:47 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
NYR getting zero respect on the main boards. Winning the season series 3-1, with 2 of those wins being absolute blowouts, you would think less people would be picking the Caps to sweep or win in 5.

I know we're not contenders this year, but it would sure be nice to shut up the haters and win a series or two...
Just because we beat them 3-1 in the season series doesn't change the fact that the we're the 8th seed and they're the 1st seed, or that they are a team that has disappointed in the past and clearly is feeling pressure to step it up a notch. Look at the Sharks last year. Similar situation. They didn't win it all, but they finally got to the Conference Finals.

It's hard to imagine that the Capitals will play as poorly as they did last year against MTL, or as uninspiring a team game as they did two years ago against the Rangers. They want to get over the hump, so I imagine they're going to be quite motivated. They don't want to be known as the team that rolls over for underdogs every year. This is also as good a chance as they may get to go all the way, with Crosby out of the picture.

This is all in addition to the sad fact that this team is going to be playing without it's best skater.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:52 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:

If we're not contenders it shouldn't be surprising most people predict we will lose to the #1 seed. Regular season is pretty much out the window. This is a different Caps team that has played much better down the stretch. And our team is going to really miss Callahan...and if Gaborik doesn't get us on the scoreboard it could be a 4 or 5 game series. I'm not saying we can't win...I mean that's why you play the games. But the odds are we won't.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Levitate

To be honest I hope that means the Caps will push things too hard and not play their system correctly. The Rangers blew them out in Feburary when they did that.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Just because we beat them 3-1 in the season series doesn't change the fact that the we're the 8th seed and they're the 1st seed, or that they are a team that has disappointed in the past and clearly is feeling pressure to step it up a notch. Look at the Sharks last year. Similar situation. They didn't win it all, but they finally got to the Conference Finals.

It's hard to imagine that the Capitals will play as poorly as they did last year against MTL, or as uninspiring a team game as they did two years ago against the Rangers. They want to get over the hump, so I imagine they're going to be quite motivated. They don't want to be known as the team that rolls over for underdogs every year. This is also as good a chance as they may get to go all the way, with Crosby out of the picture.

This is all in addition to the sad fact that this team is going to be playing without it's best skater.
I understand what you're saying, but I don't see how anyone can think this series won't go at least 6 games, no matter who you think is going to win.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Who gives a flying **** about respect? This is the playoffs. Seeds mean exactly squat. Everyone has a clean slate. This girl is a different beast.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:12 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:

That's the glass half empty analysis.

Glass half-full analysis:

Washington and NY were separated by 4 wins (48 vs. 44).
Through March 24, the Rangers lost 294 man-games to injury. Caps? 218.
Rangers 3-1 in regular season vs. Caps outscoring them 16-6
Lundqvist > any Caps goalie
Caps have pressure, again, and Rangers don't.
Green 2011 isn't Green of 2010 or 2009.
Ovechkin = lowest goal total of career
Lundqvist again: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...X7GD_blog.html
This Rangers team has "balls" and that's not meant to be funny

If this team can score 2+ goals per game, the Rangers go to the second round. I think it'll go 6 or 7.

(edit - not a bad 2000th post)

Old
04-12-2011, 10:20 AM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
Quote:

and thats probably coming from half the people that started following that team when Ovie was drafted, all a bunch of bandwagan fans. Please when i went to game 5 in 09 all u saw was Red 8 jerseys NOBODY ELSE. It was the sickest thing i ever seen i had a guy sitting behind me who couldnt even spell hockey and the only guy he knew on the team was Ovechkin, just goes to see how stupid that town is

Old
04-12-2011, 10:22 AM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post

If this team can score 2+ goals per game, the Rangers go to the second round. I think it'll go 6 or 7.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:33 AM
ecemleafs

the higher seed has gone 24-16 in 1st round series since the lockout. the 1 seed is 7-3 since the lockout. it seems like people still feel this is the same playoffs as before the lockout...when dominant top teams would face pretty ****** 8th seeds.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:34 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post

Just remember, since the last time these two teams played (which was a 6-0 blowout win for us), the Capitals played 17 games. They won 14, including eight straight following that game, and lost in regulation only twice, once to the Red Wings, and once in the final game of the season. The first blowout loss was in the middle of an 8-game losing streak for them.

This time around, they're going to thrive off of that pressure. I don't think they're going to go all the way, but I do think they're going to have a lengthy run, unfortunately.

I thought it was going to go 6 games with Callahan in the lineup. Without him...it doesn't look good.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:38 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
What amazes me even more about the lack of respect is that you would think after last year they would learn that upsets can and do happen, they all thought they were going to roll over montreal last year and now they are saying the same thing this year.

On the same note, they all like to say the regular season and the stats against the rangers doesn't matter but then tout their end to the season and how well they played. They also like to talk about Hank's postseason stats and how they beat him in the playoffs in 09. Which one is it, does history matter or doesn't it? Can't have it both ways, if you are going to brag about their stretch run, don't ignore the rangers stretch run, during which they played pretty damn well. If you are going to use history to say the caps beat lundqvist before then don't exclude those first three games in 09. Same thing goes for last year, the caps are pissed they got bounced in the first round, but what the rangers aren't pissed they missed the playoffs and don't have anything to show for it?

My point is that a lot of the things critics, fans and even the players are using to justify why the caps will roll over the habs, er I mean rangers goes for the rangers as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydollaz89 View Post
and thats probably coming from half the people that started following that team when Ovie was drafted, all a bunch of bandwagan fans.
that is giving them too much credit, most of them didn't show up until the caps made that push for the playoffs in 08 after boudreau was hired following a dismal start to the season. That being said, there are some, and I know a few personally, who have been fans for a long time, but they are easy to pick out.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:38 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Just remember, since the last time these two teams played (which was a 6-0 blowout win for us), the Capitals played 17 games. They won 14, including eight straight following that game, and lost in regulation only twice, once to the Red Wings, and once in the final game of the season. The first blowout loss was in the middle of an 8-game losing streak for them.

This time around, they're going to thrive off of that pressure. I don't think they're going to go all the way, but I do think they're going to have a lengthy run, unfortunately.

I thought it was going to go 6 games with Callahan in the lineup. Without him...it doesn't look good.
Yeah, I know that Callahan hurts even with Drury back.

Still, the Rangers were 9-3-1 in their last 13, so it's not like they backed in here, either. It depends largely on the Rangers ability to score, the Caps goaltending, and how well the Caps respond to being the "favorite" yet again.

I think they can be had. 50/50 chance, to me.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:40 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlueshirt85 View Post
I have a question for those who also have Center Ice but aren't in the Tri-state area...Even though the game is scheduled for Versus once the Detroit game is over, do we still get the rest of the game on one of the Center Ice channels?
If it's a VS exclusive you will not see on Center Ice...I checked my DirectTV guide last night and the DTV website to see if the game showed up on the schedule but there were no updates yet.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:46 AM
BroadwayBlueshirt85

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
If it's a VS exclusive you will not see on Center Ice...I checked my DirectTV guide last night and the DTV website to see if the game showed up on the schedule but there were no updates yet.
But it's only on Versus for the half hour after the Red Wing game is over...They can't screw us like this

Old
04-12-2011, 11:03 AM
jgiovanni

Send a message via AIM to jgiovanni
The game is def. on MSG though right?

Closed Thread