HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Info on Roman Josi please

Old
04-11-2011, 08:49 PM
AL-Canadian

vCash: 500
Info on Roman Josi please

I've tried to find information about R. Josi on here but no luck. I remember reading that the Ads coach said he was playing better than Suter or Weber at this stage in development. Is that true? and how is he compared to J. Blum (both in Milw together). What are his strengths/weaknesses and a possible ETA for Nashville? Asking a lot but in a debate with another hockey fan here in Birmingham regarding Predators' future Dmen.

Thanks

AL-Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL-Canadian View Post
I've tried to find information about R. Josi on here but no luck. I remember reading that the Ads coach said he was playing better than Suter or Weber at this stage in development. Is that true? and how is he compared to J. Blum (both in Milw together). What are his strengths/weaknesses and a possible ETA for Nashville? Asking a lot but in a debate with another hockey fan here in Birmingham regarding Predators' future Dmen.

Thanks
I don't ever get a chance to watch the Ads, so I can only go off what other people say and what I saw at training camp this past summer. From everything I've heard, he is as good as if not better than Blum right now. I can't find the quote, but the Ads coach did say that. I have also heard he plays a game fairly similar to Suter (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I am very, very excited about him.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:09 PM
FlexinMyPeks
Impekkable

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2011/1...an-on-the-rise

Here's a little article about him. BTW, he finished with 40 points after the slow start.

FlexinMyPeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:29 PM
adsfan

Quote:

Thanks
Josi is a complete player. He can pass and shoot well, he rushes the puck well. He is a fast skater and good stick handler. He makes few mistakes on defense. He is a Bobby Orr type player. He and Blum were paired together in Milwaukee. He has more speed than Blum. He is excellent in open ice. He is a smart player, he looks like an AHL veteran. I expect him to be in Nashville by January of 2012 and to have a long NHL career. When I see a weakness in his game, I will let you know.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:59 PM
predfan24

From what I've seen of him, he is an elite skater and thinks the game well. Those two traits in itself will make him good. Add his skills to the equation and he has a chance to be great. It's just a question if he can put it all together on NA ice in the NHL.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:13 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Our number 1 prospect IMO

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:17 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Roman Josi – Nashville Predators

Unlike Blum and Ellis, Josi has earned his reputation as a top offensive prospect the hard way. He isn’t Canadian (Swiss), and he wasn’t a high draft pick (38th overall in 2008). This season has been his first in North America, and the adjustment has been near-seamless. Through 54 games with the Admirals, Josi has six goals and 30 points. The first thing you notice about Josi when watching him play is his crisp accurate passes, and his heady decision-making.

Like Blum, I hesitated to put Josi on this list because of Nashville’s embarrassment of riches on defense. However, like Blum, I believe that skill and hockey sense prevail in the end (ether through finding ice time or the forcing of a trade). He plays with a ton of confidence and loves rushing the puck. He recently had a 13-game point streak in the AHL – an incredibly impressive feat for any defenseman, let alone a rookie.

Player Comparison: Kimmo Timonen

One Year Upside: 5 goals, 28 points

Three Year Upside: 9 goals, 40 points

From a column I wrote for DobberHockey.

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:30 PM
Drake744
Resident Jones Homer

vCash: 325
This preseason one of my friends with the Florida Panthers texted me during the Preds-Panthers rookie game and basically said Josi is better than anyone on the ice.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 05:26 AM
elduderino

What a lot of people don't realize is that Josi has already played against men the last three seasons in the highest Swiss league (NLA) for SC Bern (one of the premier clubs in Switzerland). The last two years he was their No. 1 d-man and was a pretty big part in winning the championship last year. As a 19-year old he flat out dominated the league and in the playoffs (was one of the leading scorers of the league).

While the NLA isn't the best league in Europe, it still has a high level of play. As far as I can remember there was never a younger d-man in the NLA before Josi, who could play and dominate like him. Mark Streit (NYI) was never even close to Josi's play at the same age.
So putting all things in perspective, I think the Nashville organization does the right thing wit Josi, because they know how valuable he'll become for them. On any other team in the NHL Josi would already play, but it wouldn't benefit his development. In Milwaukee he can learn the NA game and log big minutes in all situations. Very important aspects of developing a young player and something you rarely try at the NHL level. The NHL isn't a league for developing young players.

I'm really excited about Josi and think - if all things go well - he could be more than very good top 4 d-man in the NHL. Maybe even a top-pairing defenseman.

Here some footage of Josi as an 18/19-year old in the Swiss League and his first WC:

Last edited by elduderino: 04-12-2011 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Video added
elduderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 08:31 AM
AL-Canadian

Thanks to EVERYONE who replied. You definitely have enlightened me and provided good 'ammo' in my debate with my southern hockey friend (semi-know-it-all but I can't complain much as he IS a true southern hockey fan when they are really hard to find - Birmingham, AL). I'll try to direct him to HockeyFutures more often - he'll enjoy this site (Preds fan too).

AL-Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:48 PM
codeyh

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Josi very likely could have seen NHL time this season, but was injured at the exact wrong time.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:26 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Thanks to EVERYONE who replied. You definitely have enlightened me and provided good 'ammo' in my debate with my southern hockey friend (semi-know-it-all but I can't complain much as he IS a true southern hockey fan when they are really hard to find - Birmingham, AL). I'll try to direct him to HockeyFutures more often - he'll enjoy this site (Preds fan too).
Josi has more size than Blum, he is listed at 198. I think Blum is around 180. He will use it every once in a while. In the future, he may knock out a few fillings. With his injury this season, I don't think he was looking to nail guys.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 674

Do you guys think Josi could make the Predators next season?

i assume they will re-sign Weber. Can they maybe not re-sign O'brien?

That would leave them with:
Weber, Suter, Blum, Boullion, Franson, Klein + Josi

I was thinking something like this:
Weber - Blum
Suter - Franson
Klein - Josi
Boullion

I think that would be a VERY good top 6...one of the best in the league.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 11:10 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Josi will for sure get NHL time next year

Old
04-13-2011, 11:11 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

and dont forget Ryan Ellis

Old
04-14-2011, 01:53 AM
jonas2244

The only problem Josi has (or could have) ist that he's a little bit injury-prone. He was injured this season two times, last year he missed the Olympics. If he stays healthy, he'll be a great offensive defender, never saw such a smart player in Switzerland.

jonas2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:02 AM
RunYouOutOfTheRink
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Had the most shots on the team during the regular season....and the worst +/-. Has an assist in each of the the first 4 playoff games to go with a combined +5.

RunYouOutOfTheRink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 05:54 AM
TheNextOneX

The next Bobby Orr has arrived!

TheNextOneX is offline   Reply With Quote