Very hard to find some very good centers after RvA and Plüss

swisdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 12:38 PM
duga

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
Helbling has no skills, and can't use his size without taking penalties. I can't see him anywhere close from a top 10 list.

Very true hasn't improved over all the years, you just want him on the ice when there's a scramble

About Déruns, he was my number 11. He would have made the top 10 last season, but he now has to show he can play at this level every season.

indeed he seems to be a bit on a constant fatigue level this season, after his breakout last year. I think he'll be back very strong. with all the operations he had in younger years, he stil, despite his age, has not totally matured yet. he knows now what level he can play... when being fully energized. when playing his best, he wouldn't be out of place on a 3rd line wing on NHL-Level, IMO

The problem with Sprunger is that he has good skills but is neither quick nor strong, and without any of those it's hard to make a difference at the international level. Another example of this is Paolo Duca, above average but not great in both, and the result is a dominant NLA player who doesn't bring much to the national team.

Yeah, watching from outside, Sprunger seems to be a nice, well-spoken, well-thought man, a very peaceful nature of player. More the guy that 'd smoke some weed once in a while (not that I know anything) than take any kind of drugs to bulk up. When you see him skate, his legs look like the one's of an 16 year old, fully leaning into his joints, instead of holding his bodyweight in musclework, so he got no turbo. and more fatal, got a high small point of balancy and too little body tension (?) that forces akward falling... anyway there are a lot of arguments for a healthy mind not to bulk up too much... it's pretty much useless outside the rink... I mean, who wants a bullneck?, or walk, like you couldn't hold it back, cause of the massive upper legs, the joints will thank you as well for every pound less they have to carry in unnatural position, but it's probably the price you have to pay nowadays for a very good career. and I'm not sure he will pay it. It's a pitty cause he got a lot of passion for the game.

Lemm I find inconsistent. he can have flashes of brillance and then disappear. And I consider him a winger, but he would be ranked higher as a center.

He wants to play as Center, played good lately, has played C as junior. Agree about the inconsistency, his allround ability has improved over the years, though. his offensiv game not so much. IMO he's most dangerous on his hard-trained (nowadays well known by D) nifty moves offensively, which he acctually displays since he came to NLA, than on spontaneous genius on offense. His hands are a bit overrated IMO, this causes a bit his inconsistency

duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 12:54 PM
duga

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisdan View Post
(...)

Very hard to find some very good centers after RvA and Plüss
solid list as well

Well the hockeygod has been quite greedy to pretty much all of Europe with donating very good centertalent the last decade of drafts. Ask the slovaks or the finns (they got M. Koivu though)

duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:47 AM
Rafik Soliman
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
I agree with missing Top end talent, but producing one high end guy occassionally doesn't really improve a programme. The depth is growing for sure, but it's quality still needs to improve.

Looking at recent drafts :

2010 : 2 picks. One 1st round one 7th
2009 : 0 picks
2008 : 2 picks. One 1st One 2nd.
2007 : 2 picks. Two third round picks
2006 : 3 picks. One 4th Two 6th
2005 : 0 Picks.

Of course im not saying that all later round picks turn into something, but it's still obvious the number of considered NHL potential players at 18 is less than it should be. I guess you could say some players who deserve to be taken won't be taken because of exposure, size and the NA bias but you'd still be hoping for an average of more than 2 guys per year.

Obviously a combination of both is needed but i don't think Switzerland has arrived at one or the other yet. NHL picks isn't the perfect measurement of the health of a programme (especially for a programme like Switzerland) but i find it still to be the best way. After all the Draft mirrors the health of Sweden, Finland, Czech and Slovaks pretty well IMO.
The thing with Top Talent has in my eyes a lot to do with coaching... In the Swiss Junior Programm we coach System and more system. What is automaticly missing is the individual talent and that is in my eyes one of the main reasons why we are not producing high end talent...

"Team first" is a statement that you hear from close to every junior coach in Switzerland. That said it's the easiest way to coach... Have you ever asked yourself what quality our coaches are? Well it seems that they are not good enough to coach in the National League, that probably why 80% of our NL-Team have foreign Coaches (mostly Canada). So basicly that means our coach education isn't good enough (that's also my statement), but those "not good enough"-Coaches are developing our Talents in the junior leagues and that's what I think is the main Problem of Swiss Ice Hockey.... Instead of spending big bucks on Pro Head Coaches, we should invest in better Junior Coaches... Not sure if it's that easy, but I think it'd be definatly a start....

Most of our Junior Teams win because they have great depth or because of a team effort, but you never hear that guy lead his team to the Championship (maybe a goalie, but that's a different story). The GCK Lions don't win because they have the best talent, they win because they have imense depth and can beat the other teams with their 4 equal lines...

So basicly I'm saying we have a good developement program, but to break out of the frame I succest a young Player to go to north america or sweden as early as he can... He'd be making the bigger and better steppst there as in Switzerland, especially on his individual talent...

Rafik Soliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 12:47 AM
TooMuchMan

Hi all, I'm a new visitor to these boards, and not especially familiar with Euro hockey....

Recently, though I was looking up an old friend from my childhood who'd been drafted and played in the NHL for a short period before signing with HC Lugano.... Josh Hennessy... I followed his career till he went across the pond, but have since lost track of him...

Anyone know how he's been doing over there?

I grew up playing youth hockey and baseball with him in Plymouth Mass., and always remembered him as a smart, quiet kid with tremendous talent...any info would be welcome!

TooMuchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 02:58 AM
jonas2244

Lugano had an awful season, Hennessy couldn't help much. I expected more from him, he had 19 points in 36 games in the qualification, was scratched sometimes. As far as I know he has to leave Lugano.

jonas2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:40 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Yes, Hennessy was a big disappointment. He was expected to be a leader but simply wasn't good enough, and was often scratched during the second part of the season (NLA teams can't dress more than four import players, so they are more likely to be replaced than played in the bottom 6). He definitely won't be back in Lugano next season.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 09:15 AM
TooMuchMan

That's too bad, thanks for the report though.

TooMuchMan is offline   Reply With Quote