HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Larry Brooks Question.

Old
04-12-2011, 07:32 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Torts and Brooks have been friends since Torts was here as an assistant. Apparently even though they get on each other at the postgames at times, supposedly they are friendly outside the rink. They do go back a ways.

As for Brooks, you have to take him for what he is. He isn't a "proper" sports writer. He writes for a tabloid. Of course his stories are going to be laced with opinion and hyperbole - that's the Posts bread and butter.

Sometimes he's annoying, sometimes obnoxious, but he keeps people honest. The Post gives him free rein, and he makes good use of it.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 08:13 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Imagine Brooks comes across this link and registers for HFBoards just to confront this allegation? That would be an epic forum showdown.
Brooks is registered. He's posted a few times here in the distant past. I sent him a couple of PMs and he responded. I checked and don't see him on the current members list.

Living in Phoenix, I am utterly dependent on the internet for Ranger information. The Post is always my first read. Yes he does inject opinion but his job is to sell newspapers. And as for reporting, no one else is even close. Larry always gets the story first.

(Actually Ranger Boy is my first read because he digs out most of the important stuff before I am up. But most of it usually is from the Post)

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 08:15 AM
Loffen
Legend

Great parody.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 08:19 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I don't hate him. I respect him for doing it for so long. However, I guess you could take most of his pieces with a grain of salt. Before the Internet became the number 1 source for scoop Larry was maybe the biggest producer of Rangers news of all the beat writers. But it appears that Larry maybe hasen't kept ahead by offering better insider info. He's not really breaking too many stories anymore, and anything controversial is basically out the window between he and Torts.

I don't want to see the guy lynched but...I do wish there was some more substance to his work. The way I see it is that a guy like Larry's job is to get in depth info that we don't know. Instead it appears we are getting that from here more than anywhere else on the net.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post

He's also really reactionary and tends to have the most knee-jerk, far-fetched suggestions to what ails this team. He was super-pissed when Gilroy was sent down last year, although he was clearly not ready for prime time, and wanted veteran Rozsival to be sent down instead.
Sounds like the HF Boards.

But in all serious, Like others have stated: Larry's pieces usually reek of personal disdain. I don't know, there seems to be ALWAYS something (or someone) he will ridicule no matter what.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 09:22 AM
94now

Brooks is intelligent and knowledgeable. Those properties are reliable recipes for hatred from those who are anything but.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 09:36 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Brooks is the 1st guy I read when the Macbook goes on every morning because if there is a story with the Rangers,he will have it. He has been covering the NHL for a long time. I remember him as the guy who worked on the Devils radio broadcasts in late 80's. He worked for the Devils as their communications director. Then he disappeared for a while and reappeared at the Post during the winter of 94. He wrote the Rangers were shopping Amonte and I thought he was crazy. A few weeks later,Amonte was traded.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 09:45 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJobs View Post
i personally hate him because in college i was a journalism major. i took a sports writing class and the professor was a sports writer for newsday. one of the assignments was to reach out to professional beat writers and ask them questions about sports jouralism. well guess who was the only one not to get a response from the sports writer they reached out to?
I don't mind Brooks' sensationalistic writing, but his lack of a response just plain sucks.

He should feel honored that a student is asking him questions and had the manners to respond.

Very disappointing.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:03 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
I don't mind Brooks' sensationalistic writing, but his lack of a response just plain sucks.

He should feel honored that a student is asking him questions and had the manners to respond.

Very disappointing.
For the record, I asked questions to Gross and Zipay and both were helpful and responsive, as I am a journalism student as well. Gross was more helpful than Zipay but both were good.

Didn't bother to ask Brooks. I find the Torts/Brooks stuff comical. I don't go way back to understand the relationship there or anything but I don't really hate Brooks as much as the next guy--just some of the stuff he writes is ridiculous.

If I'm on the computer, my order of preference:

1. HFboards
2. Gross blog
3. Zipay blog
4. Larry's blog

I find myself not even clicking on the Lohud blog bookmark any more. Rick is a nice guy but he's not Sam and Lohud doesn't support it financially for him to be anything more knowledgeable than a fairweather fan basically.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:07 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
For the record, I asked questions to Gross and Zipay and both were helpful and responsive, as I am a journalism student as well. Gross was more helpful than Zipay but both were good.

Didn't bother to ask Brooks. I find the Torts/Brooks stuff comical. I don't go way back to understand the relationship there or anything but I don't really hate Brooks as much as the next guy--just some of the stuff he writes is ridiculous.

If I'm on the computer, my order of preference:

1. HFboards
2. Gross blog
3. Zipay blog
4. Larry's blog

I find myself not even clicking on the Lohud blog bookmark any more. Rick is a nice guy but he's not Sam and Lohud doesn't support it financially for him to be anything more knowledgeable than a fairweather fan basically.
Have to agree on the Lohud blog. I've barely read it since Sam Weinman left.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 06:30 PM
varanger94

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwayBshirt View Post
Most people here...myself not included...don't like the Post. That's the main reason for the Brooks' dislike.

Yet, as others have said, he's the only guy who consistently gives an opinion & isn't just doing recaps of games. For that, I respect him. Don't always agree with him, but respect him.

OTOH, I do think that Spector from the Daily News has potential to be a solid beat writer for the Rangers, but unfortunately his paper gives almost as little attention to the team/sport as the Times.
I buy the post and on Sunday I get both the Post and the Daily News. We are creatures of habit. While most papers nowadays treat hockey with so much disrespect, at least the Post gives you some Hockey to read. The Daily news up until last week treated Hockey as if it was non existent. A 4"X4" article is all you could expect. I think the Editors are cutting down on space more and more. Brookes has some leverage with the Post and at least he gets his 2 columns in every week were as Spector doesn't. He does have an opinion. Like you said sometimes I agree and sometimes I don't. At least there is something written and it makes the sport reliant.

varanger94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 06:48 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
The paper he writes for is a rag and that should say enough about him.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Mr Atoz
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwayBshirt View Post
Most people here...myself not included...don't like the Post. That's the main reason for the Brooks' dislike.
Not true at all. I love the Post but hate Brooks with a passion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
You do not want a reporter covering your team that's buds with the players/management
Really? In the old days Brooks covered the islanders when Hugh Delano was the number one hockey writer for the Post and covered the Rangers. Brooks inherited the Rangers by default.

Brooks was so buddy buddy with the islanders they gave him the Stanley Cup for a day when they won.

He's been a notorious Ranger hater ever since. I've said this here before. After the Rangers won in 94 he wrote a negative column in the Post the next day. Always looking for the angle to wrote something bad and make trouble, like the Gaborik column last week.

I still say that one day I'm going to catch him alone and shove that crummy leather jacket up his a**.

Mr Atoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 08:26 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
Sounds like the HF Boards.

But in all serious, Like others have stated: Larry's pieces usually reek of personal disdain. I don't know, there seems to be ALWAYS something (or someone) he will ridicule no matter what.
As far as the other blogs go, I agree with the other posters about Lohud, I rarely go there anymore. It used to be my go to blog back when Weinman was on the beat and before the financial collapse, but Carp is just OK and I can get more detailed information from Gross or Zipay. The Lohud Yankees Blog, on the other hand, is excellent and has gotten even better now that bitter Red Sox fan Peter Abraham departed a few seasons ago.

Last edited by OverTheCap: 04-13-2011 at 12:53 PM.
OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 08:52 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
After the Rangers won in 94 he wrote a negative column in the Post the next day.
What on earth did he write about?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:59 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Yup, which is why I think there's some truth to the fact that he looks to these boards for "inspiration," if you will. And I'm not surprised that he's taken some material from Inferno's blog as well. He's lifted from The Rodent also.
Are you sure that Larry Brooks is looking at these boards for inspiration? Or lifting material from a fan's blog? It's a pretty serious accusation.

I know all the beat writers that cover the team and I highly doubt that Larry is doing this. It may appear so, but there is only so much one can write about the team and someone out there has probably written about it before Larry, especially because he writes for a paper (which comes out hours after the actual article is written). It does not mean that he saw it and lifted it.

Several times when I have written an HF article, someone has said to me, "you took my stuff." But I did not even know they had a blog or knew and had not looked at it. Very few of the beat writers read fans' blogs except to see whether the blog is stealing their stuff (its fine to quote a small portion of an article but there has to be an attribution and whole swaths of the article are not okay to reprint without permission).

There is one particular blog that just takes everything written about the team and just basically reposts it. I know that this is a real problem and action has been considered. Whether that blogger will wind up in court remains to be seen.

Which brings me to the heads up I wanted to bring to everyone. Be careful about posting accusations of plagiarism by a major paper (or even a minor one). Its very different than making derogatory comments about a "public figure" (which all beat writers are). A word to the wise should end this practice. If it does not, please be aware that you are putting HF at risk by posting those kinds of accusations. Moderator please take the appropriate action and keep this in mind.

Last edited by Leslie Treff: 04-13-2011 at 05:16 AM.
Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 05:48 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The war between Torts and Brooks is over. If you watch the press conferences,it's over. Not the old Youtube stuff. Brooks wrote a column about the shootout a few weeks ago and Torts referred to the column later that day in his post game presser. It was after the Philly shootout win. When Torts refused to answer questions after a game recently(Islanders game?),he kidded with Brooks that was one of the those moments they needed to avoid.

I like the Post. Who cares about who owns it or its politics? Who reads the front of the paper? I don't. Brooks is the top hockey writer in the area. He has most if not all of the Rangers scoops. He has been on the beat since 1996. Joel Sherman is the best baseball columnist in NY. They have the two best Sunday columns in NY.

The other Rangers beat writers will all of their access know less than the average fan.

Besides Arthur Staple(columnist),Brooks is the go to guy for Rangers info.
Agreed, and lets not forget that many issues that Brook's cover are like "tabu" for almost every other reporter.

You have the Burrow's incident, you have soupy's mails et c -- they are reported about and thats that. The reporters covering this league seem to be extremely afraid of upsetting people.

Also, peolpe love to trash Brooks for his rumors. Well its extremely obvious that those people do not -- for some reason I can't undestand -- understand how a "transfer market" works.

A rumor is someone with supposed knowledge saying something without posting with his name. Thats what it is, not more and not less. What many fail to understand is that its a given that these guys has a motivation to down right lie.

For example, this is as legit rumor as there is:
-GM X calls up GM Y and ask if he will trade player A for player B. Guy/girl Z tells the mentioned to a reporter. The reporter writes something like "Rumor has it that A could be traded for B". For all we know, the offer made could be extremely stupid. Slats calling up like Tampa asking if they will move Stamkos for Jessiman, but its still a legit rumor. And for a agent, its his bloody job to get a the buzz up about his clients. Lets say you has a NHLer who turns UFA. By August nobody has called about him. If the agent can get the word out there that teams A, B and C are interested in him, its not unlikely that team D will make a offer too. Or when it comes to negotiations, the public opinion matters. If everyone thinks Brandon Dubinsky is worth 4m, and Slats is only offering him 2m, it hurts Slats attempt to sign him for 2m. But if everyone thinks Dubinsky is worth 2m, but Dubinsky wants 4m, its easier for Slats to not sign him and its harder for Dubi to hold out. The results? The two sides will throw dirt, not facts, at each other in through the papers.

Then you have a whole bunch of examples were Brooks openly speculates that Slats "might try to deal A for B", and kids interpret it as a rumor and trashes him for it because they do not believe in it. Its not a rumor. Its speculation.

There is never only one opinion, Brooks has a bunch of them and of course sometimes you think he is full of it, and other times you agree with him. The only way to avoid not disagreeing with a reporter with opinions is to not read a reporter with opinions.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 06:01 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
Are you sure that Larry Brooks is looking at these boards for inspiration? Or lifting material from a fan's blog? It's a pretty serious accusation.

I know all the beat writers that cover the team and I highly doubt that Larry is doing this. It may appear so, but there is only so much one can write about the team and someone out there has probably written about it before Larry, especially because he writes for a paper (which comes out hours after the actual article is written). It does not mean that he saw it and lifted it.

Several times when I have written an HF article, someone has said to me, "you took my stuff." But I did not even know they had a blog or knew and had not looked at it. Very few of the beat writers read fans' blogs except to see whether the blog is stealing their stuff (its fine to quote a small portion of an article but there has to be an attribution and whole swaths of the article are not okay to reprint without permission).

There is one particular blog that just takes everything written about the team and just basically reposts it. I know that this is a real problem and action has been considered. Whether that blogger will wind up in court remains to be seen.

Which brings me to the heads up I wanted to bring to everyone. Be careful about posting accusations of plagiarism by a major paper (or even a minor one). Its very different than making derogatory comments about a "public figure" (which all beat writers are). A word to the wise should end this practice. If it does not, please be aware that you are putting HF at risk by posting those kinds of accusations. Moderator please take the appropriate action and keep this in mind.
I am sure you are right about the accusation part (and thanks for pointing it out!), but to "lift materials" (in the sense we are talking about, IE no ctrl-C and ctrl-V) from blogs/papers is certainly no "crime", nor even amoral.

Ideas are never protected. A massive collection of information (like gathered stats) is only protected to a small extent, and the idea to collect a certain specific stat is certainly not protected. Like lets say a blogger comes up with the idea to prove fact A by looking at stats X and Y. Then a day after a reporter posts the same stats as evidence of the same fact -- you need to remember that its perfectly okey for the reporter to read what the blogger have done, do the same calculation and write the same thing.

And the reason why its not amoral is of course because information is always free, and thats a idea that must be protected at any cost basically. I mean if big city paper X picks up about something disaster A happening in the world, every other paper must be able to write about the same thing.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 07:47 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
you need to remember that its perfectly okey for the reporter to read what the blogger have done, do the same calculation and write the same thing.

And the reason why its not amoral is of course because information is always free, and thats a idea that must be protected at any cost basically. I mean if big city paper X picks up about something disaster A happening in the world, every other paper must be able to write about the same thing.
Its not okay for a reporter to read what a blogger has written and copy it, or read what a blogger has written and do the same calculation and write the same thing without some attribution. It is a fine line. Lifting materials was the accusation, not lifting ideas. In any case, HF should not be exposed to the potential of a problem.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Its not okay for a reporter to read what a blogger has written and copy it, or read what a blogger has written and do the same calculation and write the same thing without some attribution. It is a fine line. Lifting materials was the accusation, not lifting ideas. In any case, HF should not be exposed to the potential of a problem.
its not like he worded it the same..i dotn even remember what it was i wrote, but he just posted the same numbers and made a similar observation. again, it could just be coincidence, or not. whatever, it doesnt make a damn bit of difference to me, like i said, i dont get paid for blogging, i do it for fun.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:40 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

providing a link to the blog + the article in question would make this much more interesting.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:43 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Exactly. As much crap as Wyshinski takes over at Puck Daddy, the guy is always highlighting other blogger's content and giving shoutouts in columns and on twitter.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:52 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:

I'll edit my post to take out the accusations. It could be purely coincidental. But I know other bloggers have had issues with Larry taking material on more than one occasion. I don't want to drag them into this so I'll leave it at.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
providing a link to the blog + the article in question would make this much more interesting.
ehhhhhhhhhhhh, you know how much work that would be? the last time it happened was over a year ago.....im so not going through all my blog posts, ive been doing this for like 5 years now...ive written nearly 1,100 articles/posts/blogs...and im sure Larry has done 5 times that amount in the same time span...you know how much reading that woudl take? its not like i bookmarked it or anything.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJobs View Post
i personally hate him because in college i was a journalism major. i took a sports writing class and the professor was a sports writer for newsday. one of the assignments was to reach out to professional beat writers and ask them questions about sports jouralism. well guess who was the only one not to get a response from the sports writer they reached out to?

he's also a condescending jerk and his headshot in the paper doesn't do any justice to how ugly he is.
did you take jrnl 31 at hof

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote