HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Walker on Re-Entry

Old
04-11-2011, 05:54 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Knuble just signed slightly over what Walker makes.
*sigh*

That's so wrong.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
*sigh*

That's so wrong.
Yeah. Something about that makes part of my soul mushy.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:47 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Knuble, on his signing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Knuble
The longer I delay myself to getting to the real world, the better
Nice.

TSN Link

04-11-2011, 07:21 PM
mm6492

I hate Homer.....

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:00 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I think this was a terrible move, but I am more confident in Walker clearing than I was about Leighton.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Norm MacDonald

If I were the Devils, I'd claim Walker just to **** over the Flyers in the offseason.

Norm MacDonald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:26 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
It doesn't matter if he isn't claimed, Homer is playing russian roulette and is going to get his ******* head blown off. Unfortunately, we are Flyer fans, which means the gun is pointed at our heads too.

Homer should be fired for this and Leighton. I renage on my defense of him and am now over with DUHockey9 (not a hater, but not happy either). This is our hockey team and passion he is playing a game of risk with, I'm not cool with that.

I am so pissed right now. Homer, WTF. Matt Walker? For real. That is what you are mortgaging our future on? ****
Muahahahahaha. Welcome. Welcome to the good side!

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:32 AM
DUHockey9

Haven't had a chance to voice my opinion here. I think I've become numb to this. My mind was blown with Leighton, and this is just...more of the same.

That said, I was 100% convinced Leighton would be claimed and he wasn't. So I'm thinking (read: hoping) Walker will clear too.

That doesn't make this (or Leighton) any less stupid though. He went from Randy Jones on re-entry (rest of the year in dead cap space), to Leighton (a full additional year of dead cap space), to Walker (2 full additional years of dead cap space). He really doesn't seem to understand the risk here.

This just makes such little sense to me, I'm starting to think it makes more sense that there really IS something Homer knows that we don't about re-entry. I find it impossible that a competent human being, let alone a competent NHL GM could possibly do/risk this 3 times.

Old
04-12-2011, 07:41 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Haven't had a chance to voice my opinion here. I think I've become numb to this. My mind was blown with Leighton, and this is just...more of the same.

That said, I was 100% convinced Leighton would be claimed and he wasn't. So I'm thinking (read: hoping) Walker will clear too.

That doesn't make this (or Leighton) any less stupid though. He went from Randy Jones on re-entry (rest of the year in dead cap space), to Leighton (a full additional year of dead cap space), to Walker (2 full additional years of dead cap space). He really doesn't seem to understand the risk here.

This just makes such little sense to me, I'm starting to think it makes more sense that there really IS something Homer knows that we don't about re-entry. I find it impossible that a competent human being, let alone a competent NHL GM could possibly do/risk this 3 times.
Someone mentioned above that perhaps the GM's have a gentlemans agreement to not claim other teams players. I don't buy it. If he clears, I may forgive him.

Either way, don't expect me in your nearest Homer thread defending him. Giving up this years first rounder had me soured, the Leighton re-entry had me pissed, the Walker re-entry has me floored. Shocked.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:50 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Someone mentioned above that perhaps the GM's have a gentlemans agreement to not claim other teams players. I don't buy it. If he clears, I may forgive him.

Either way, don't expect me in your nearest Homer thread defending him. Giving up this years first rounder had me soured, the Leighton re-entry had me pissed, the Walker re-entry has me floored. Shocked.
Don't get me wrong, I HATE conspiracy type crap. The whole "the league has it out for us" and "if that was us they would have called it" sort of stuff drives me crazy. That and my roommate is a crazy conspiracy theorist that I shake my head at. But sometimes what is happening in reality makes such little sense, that I begin thinking there must be something I don't know haha.

I know you weren't a fan of the Versteeg deal but I actually was fine with it. I really didn't want to trade a first, but I did think Versteeg was the ideal winger for Richards. He isn't an offensive drain on him, can keep up defensively, and he's young. That said, he's only been average since he's been here.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:40 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Why do we even have Leighton and Walker...that is the crux of the issue! It's ironic that Holmgren is not only doubling down on stupidity but that both players have so many issues that only desperate teams would take a chance on claiming either of them. It's actually kind of sad when you think about it especially when Homer actually wins his risky and low reward wager.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 09:53 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
*sigh*

That's so wrong.
The Gagne and Knuble treatment were inexcusable IMO. That we had to let go two character players so unceremoniously b/c of cap mismanagement is just beyond wrong. Not like Knuble could help us with our anemic PP or Gagne score clutch goals in the playoffs...

Old
04-12-2011, 09:56 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I HATE conspiracy type crap. The whole "the league has it out for us" and "if that was us they would have called it" sort of stuff drives me crazy. That and my roommate is a crazy conspiracy theorist that I shake my head at. But sometimes what is happening in reality makes such little sense, that I begin thinking there must be something I don't know haha.

I know you weren't a fan of the Versteeg deal but I actually was fine with it. I really didn't want to trade a first, but I did think Versteeg was the ideal winger for Richards. He isn't an offensive drain on him, can keep up defensively, and he's young. That said, he's only been average since he's been here.
On the first point, If Philly feels they "need" Matt Walker in the playoffs. If I am Buffalo I claim him. At 750,000, he is an NHL defenseman they can use next year or waive. Either way, why let Philly an advantage?

On point 2, I was "OK" with the Versteeg deal. In my mind however, that first rounder this year was untouchable to begin the replenishment of the system (In fact I was sort of hoping they would deal a Carle for a first rounder and double up on draft picks this year). We will need youth in the very near future. But, I can "understand" the deal, Versteeg does have a cup and is a young player who will be an RFA when his deal expires.

The Leighton/Walker re-entry.....I can't understand those at all. I have been defending Homer saying he learned from Randy Jones and wouldn't make that mistake again. This time, we are in Darcy Tucker territory, where Matt Walker is eating 750,000 off our cap next year and the year after. That is unbelievable.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
The Gagne and Knuble treatment were inexcusable IMO. That we had to let go two character players so unceremoniously b/c of cap mismanagement is just beyond wrong. Not like Knuble could help us with our anemic PP or Gagne score clutch goals in the playoffs...
The Gagne situation was completely *ed. The Knuble situation... was what it was. We should have been in a position to make a competitive offer and weren't because of poor cap management.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:01 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Should we be finding out if he cleared now?

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if there is some kind of 'gentleman's agreement' among the GMs to not make claims on re-entry, just like there seems to be one about not using offer sheets. The claim rate on re-entry seems lower than it should be.
Not that many guys are on re-entry each year... at least not that many that you'd actually want.

Offer sheets have happened... but they've largely become rare because everyone is locking up the guys that you'd actually want to fling an offer sheet at in December.

Parise may be interesting this summer... not sure the Devs can risk the arbitration award given their cap situation.

Old
04-12-2011, 11:13 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Should we be finding out if he cleared now?
This thread started at 3ish, so I would assume if the transaction occurred at 3, we have 3 more hours. Correct me if I'm wrong. Not sure if there is a set "transaction time" or something.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:14 AM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The Gagne situation was completely *ed. The Knuble situation... was what it was. We should have been in a position to make a competitive offer and weren't because of poor cap management.
Couldn't agree more. The man is utterly, and hopelessly clueless as to how to properly manage a cap.

He is so bad it's almost comical.

I can't imagine what other teams fans think when they look at us and see Holmgren trying to manage our cap.

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
This thread started at 3ish, so I would assume if the transaction occurred at 3, we have 3 more hours. Correct me if I'm wrong. Not sure if there is a set "transaction time" or something.
I thought it was noon to noon?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:28 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
Meech (DET) and Walker (PHI) clear re-entry waivers; Trent Whitfield (BOS) on re-entry waivers.
Favorite Retweet Reply

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Jester

Thank God.

Old
04-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I thought it was noon to noon?
it is

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
Meech (DET) and Walker (PHI) clear re-entry waivers; Trent Whitfield (BOS) on re-entry waivers.
Favorite Retweet Reply
BTW, in the event anyone wants to compare Detroit and Boston's moves to ours: neither Meech or Whitfield are signed for next year.

Old
04-12-2011, 11:32 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
just hope to God we dont have to use him.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:35 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Well I'm not that surprised but luckily he passed through like a kidney stone I suppose...now I wish we could unload him completely.

Apparently Holmgren's secret to success in getting players through re-entry waiver equates to acquiring low talent medical basket cases. All GM's around the league take note of Holmgren's mensa moves

Zherdev is the only slight exception since he's talented but def a mental case....