HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Walker on Re-Entry

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-11-2011, 05:54 PM
  #76
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Knuble just signed slightly over what Walker makes.
*sigh*

That's so wrong.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:59 PM
  #77
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,787
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
*sigh*

That's so wrong.
Yeah. Something about that makes part of my soul mushy.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:47 PM
  #78
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,076
vCash: 955
Knuble, on his signing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Knuble
The longer I delay myself to getting to the real world, the better
Nice.

TSN Link

__________________
I deride your truth handling abilities
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:21 PM
  #79
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
I hate Homer.....

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:00 PM
  #80
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,534
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I think this was a terrible move, but I am more confident in Walker clearing than I was about Leighton.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:39 PM
  #81
Norm MacDonald
Registered User
 
Norm MacDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,276
vCash: 500
If I were the Devils, I'd claim Walker just to **** over the Flyers in the offseason.

Norm MacDonald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:26 AM
  #82
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
It doesn't matter if he isn't claimed, Homer is playing russian roulette and is going to get his ******* head blown off. Unfortunately, we are Flyer fans, which means the gun is pointed at our heads too.

Homer should be fired for this and Leighton. I renage on my defense of him and am now over with DUHockey9 (not a hater, but not happy either). This is our hockey team and passion he is playing a game of risk with, I'm not cool with that.

I am so pissed right now. Homer, WTF. Matt Walker? For real. That is what you are mortgaging our future on? ****
Muahahahahaha. Welcome. Welcome to the good side!

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:32 AM
  #83
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Haven't had a chance to voice my opinion here. I think I've become numb to this. My mind was blown with Leighton, and this is just...more of the same.

That said, I was 100% convinced Leighton would be claimed and he wasn't. So I'm thinking (read: hoping) Walker will clear too.

That doesn't make this (or Leighton) any less stupid though. He went from Randy Jones on re-entry (rest of the year in dead cap space), to Leighton (a full additional year of dead cap space), to Walker (2 full additional years of dead cap space). He really doesn't seem to understand the risk here.

This just makes such little sense to me, I'm starting to think it makes more sense that there really IS something Homer knows that we don't about re-entry. I find it impossible that a competent human being, let alone a competent NHL GM could possibly do/risk this 3 times.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:41 AM
  #84
phillyfanatic
Registered User
 
phillyfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Haven't had a chance to voice my opinion here. I think I've become numb to this. My mind was blown with Leighton, and this is just...more of the same.

That said, I was 100% convinced Leighton would be claimed and he wasn't. So I'm thinking (read: hoping) Walker will clear too.

That doesn't make this (or Leighton) any less stupid though. He went from Randy Jones on re-entry (rest of the year in dead cap space), to Leighton (a full additional year of dead cap space), to Walker (2 full additional years of dead cap space). He really doesn't seem to understand the risk here.

This just makes such little sense to me, I'm starting to think it makes more sense that there really IS something Homer knows that we don't about re-entry. I find it impossible that a competent human being, let alone a competent NHL GM could possibly do/risk this 3 times.
Someone mentioned above that perhaps the GM's have a gentlemans agreement to not claim other teams players. I don't buy it. If he clears, I may forgive him.

Either way, don't expect me in your nearest Homer thread defending him. Giving up this years first rounder had me soured, the Leighton re-entry had me pissed, the Walker re-entry has me floored. Shocked.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:50 AM
  #85
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Someone mentioned above that perhaps the GM's have a gentlemans agreement to not claim other teams players. I don't buy it. If he clears, I may forgive him.

Either way, don't expect me in your nearest Homer thread defending him. Giving up this years first rounder had me soured, the Leighton re-entry had me pissed, the Walker re-entry has me floored. Shocked.
Don't get me wrong, I HATE conspiracy type crap. The whole "the league has it out for us" and "if that was us they would have called it" sort of stuff drives me crazy. That and my roommate is a crazy conspiracy theorist that I shake my head at. But sometimes what is happening in reality makes such little sense, that I begin thinking there must be something I don't know haha.

I know you weren't a fan of the Versteeg deal but I actually was fine with it. I really didn't want to trade a first, but I did think Versteeg was the ideal winger for Richards. He isn't an offensive drain on him, can keep up defensively, and he's young. That said, he's only been average since he's been here.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 09:40 AM
  #86
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,422
vCash: 500
Why do we even have Leighton and Walker...that is the crux of the issue! It's ironic that Holmgren is not only doubling down on stupidity but that both players have so many issues that only desperate teams would take a chance on claiming either of them. It's actually kind of sad when you think about it especially when Homer actually wins his risky and low reward wager.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 09:53 AM
  #87
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
*sigh*

That's so wrong.
The Gagne and Knuble treatment were inexcusable IMO. That we had to let go two character players so unceremoniously b/c of cap mismanagement is just beyond wrong. Not like Knuble could help us with our anemic PP or Gagne score clutch goals in the playoffs...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 09:56 AM
  #88
phillyfanatic
Registered User
 
phillyfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I HATE conspiracy type crap. The whole "the league has it out for us" and "if that was us they would have called it" sort of stuff drives me crazy. That and my roommate is a crazy conspiracy theorist that I shake my head at. But sometimes what is happening in reality makes such little sense, that I begin thinking there must be something I don't know haha.

I know you weren't a fan of the Versteeg deal but I actually was fine with it. I really didn't want to trade a first, but I did think Versteeg was the ideal winger for Richards. He isn't an offensive drain on him, can keep up defensively, and he's young. That said, he's only been average since he's been here.
On the first point, If Philly feels they "need" Matt Walker in the playoffs. If I am Buffalo I claim him. At 750,000, he is an NHL defenseman they can use next year or waive. Either way, why let Philly an advantage?

On point 2, I was "OK" with the Versteeg deal. In my mind however, that first rounder this year was untouchable to begin the replenishment of the system (In fact I was sort of hoping they would deal a Carle for a first rounder and double up on draft picks this year). We will need youth in the very near future. But, I can "understand" the deal, Versteeg does have a cup and is a young player who will be an RFA when his deal expires.

The Leighton/Walker re-entry.....I can't understand those at all. I have been defending Homer saying he learned from Randy Jones and wouldn't make that mistake again. This time, we are in Darcy Tucker territory, where Matt Walker is eating 750,000 off our cap next year and the year after. That is unbelievable.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:57 AM
  #89
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
The Gagne and Knuble treatment were inexcusable IMO. That we had to let go two character players so unceremoniously b/c of cap mismanagement is just beyond wrong. Not like Knuble could help us with our anemic PP or Gagne score clutch goals in the playoffs...
The Gagne situation was completely *ed. The Knuble situation... was what it was. We should have been in a position to make a competitive offer and weren't because of poor cap management.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:01 AM
  #90
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God
 
KimiFerrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Argentina
Posts: 3,818
vCash: 500
Should we be finding out if he cleared now?

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:07 AM
  #91
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if there is some kind of 'gentleman's agreement' among the GMs to not make claims on re-entry, just like there seems to be one about not using offer sheets. The claim rate on re-entry seems lower than it should be.
Not that many guys are on re-entry each year... at least not that many that you'd actually want.

Offer sheets have happened... but they've largely become rare because everyone is locking up the guys that you'd actually want to fling an offer sheet at in December.

Parise may be interesting this summer... not sure the Devs can risk the arbitration award given their cap situation.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:13 AM
  #92
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Should we be finding out if he cleared now?
This thread started at 3ish, so I would assume if the transaction occurred at 3, we have 3 more hours. Correct me if I'm wrong. Not sure if there is a set "transaction time" or something.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:14 AM
  #93
ShotScore*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Philadelphia,Pa.
Country: Italy
Posts: 926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The Gagne situation was completely *ed. The Knuble situation... was what it was. We should have been in a position to make a competitive offer and weren't because of poor cap management.
Couldn't agree more. The man is utterly, and hopelessly clueless as to how to properly manage a cap.

He is so bad it's almost comical.

I can't imagine what other teams fans think when they look at us and see Holmgren trying to manage our cap.

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:17 AM
  #94
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
This thread started at 3ish, so I would assume if the transaction occurred at 3, we have 3 more hours. Correct me if I'm wrong. Not sure if there is a set "transaction time" or something.
I thought it was noon to noon?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:28 AM
  #95
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,431
vCash: 50


TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
Meech (DET) and Walker (PHI) clear re-entry waivers; Trent Whitfield (BOS) on re-entry waivers.
Favorite Retweet Reply

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:29 AM
  #96
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Thank God.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:29 AM
  #97
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I thought it was noon to noon?
it is

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:30 AM
  #98
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post


TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
Meech (DET) and Walker (PHI) clear re-entry waivers; Trent Whitfield (BOS) on re-entry waivers.
Favorite Retweet Reply
BTW, in the event anyone wants to compare Detroit and Boston's moves to ours: neither Meech or Whitfield are signed for next year.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:32 AM
  #99
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,431
vCash: 50
just hope to God we dont have to use him.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:35 AM
  #100
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,422
vCash: 500
Well I'm not that surprised but luckily he passed through like a kidney stone I suppose...now I wish we could unload him completely.

Apparently Holmgren's secret to success in getting players through re-entry waiver equates to acquiring low talent medical basket cases. All GM's around the league take note of Holmgren's mensa moves

Zherdev is the only slight exception since he's talented but def a mental case....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.