HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Offered Palffy Only Two Years; Now Looking At Trades

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2005, 10:55 AM
Matt13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestak
What? JR has been banged up probably as much as Ziggy, and Luc would be better off doing a Tim Brown, which is what I thought he would be doing when I heard we signed him for 1 million bucks.
How do you even compare the two?

Last season, JR took a puck to the face, Ziggy had his shoulder PULLED outta socket by Simpson. Not even close to comparable. Add in that JR returned for the playoffs still having jaw and concussion problems and we have picked up a warrior and dropped a creampuff.

Quote:
Ziggy will do great in Pittsburgh, and I guarantee the same thing will happen like when Muzz went to Boston and all the AEG lovers would just say it was all about his line mates. You know Palffy will score 35 plus goals, and it will be written off as being 100% due to who he is playing with.

Lets see, Murray played with Stumpel and Heinze and goes to Boston and is playing with Thornton and Guerin. Their is no doubt he was playing with much larger talent and it elevated his game. If you dont see that, then...........

Quote:
The fact is the Kings have no direction, just had a huge opportunity handed to them and we managed to sign ONE GUY, and have another fall in our lap.

You just lost the best player on your team, you should be upset. You lost your points leader, goal leader, someone who played the PP and would have been your go to guy during a shootout.

If you are NOT upset, then something is very wrong here.

Why would I be upset that this same guy is the same guy that wouldnt have been there for us in the playoffs due to injuries because he is fragile.

Last edited by Matt13: 08-07-2005 at 11:03 AM.
Old
08-07-2005, 10:57 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:

The fact is the Kings have no direction, just had a huge opportunity handed to them and we managed to sign ONE GUY, and have another fall in our lap.

You just lost the best player on your team, you should be upset. You lost your points leader, goal leader, someone who played the PP and would have been your go to guy during a shootout.

If you are NOT upset, then something is very wrong here.

George
We LOST Ziggy two years ago when he turned down our last contract offer. We haven't lost him again. Why should I be upset about someone we didn't have to begin with? I'll wait for DT to finish filling out the roster before I pass judgement. There's still 5 weeks left.

Did you not follow the Kings at all the last season they played, or half the season before, where we comitted 10MM+ in salary to players who were nursing broken bones, dizziness and concussion symptoms? At one time we had 20MM+ tied up in players who were injured. Under a salary cap, we'd be even more screwed then we ever were before.

Did you see the game where Palffy received his last season-ending injury? I was there... the cause didn't equal the effect. His arm was tugged and his shoulder popped out. Then I was reminded that it's Pallfy, and he's fragile.

I'm DONE with the Kings tying up big money to players who are injury prone. That era is OVER, and if they signed palffy to a multi-year deal, I would scream for DT's head. Two years? Maybe, but he'd probably want a no-trade clause and even then it may have been too much of a risk to take given Ziggy's injury-riddled career and the fact he had ZERO conditioning since he'd been injured almost 2 years ago.

We have enough old players on the team - I'm all for DT filling the holes we have, but I'm not looking for him to do it by signing multi-year contracts to players who are past their prime or injury prone - I don't care how good they are. No thanks.

- T

Old
08-07-2005, 11:07 AM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV
Everyone's forgetting that Palffy TURNED DOWN 6MM+ per season less than two years ago! His agent is whacked, and Palffy is fragile.

People need to get over this. YES, it would have been great to have him on a short term contract, but that wasn't in the cards. He didn't stay conditioned over the off-season at all (said he did ZERO conditioning or training of any kind over the off season). The guy is going to be injured in no time flat. The moment he is, we'd be RIGHT back where we were with Allison and Deadmarsh when they were injured - hogtied and unable to do anything about it - moreso now because of the hard salary cap. I don't want the Kings to put all their eggs in one basket.

I'd much rather see DT go after a decent top 6 LW to fill a hole we actually have as opposed to tie up huge salary cap money for multiple years on a guy who'll be out of the lineup more than he's in.
I believe it was 3 years and $19.5M... he turned down.

with today's rollback that would have been an average of only 4.94/year.

08-07-2005, 11:09 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Ziggy was a UFA, if he wanted to play here he would've accepted whatever the Kings offered him. He does not fit into AM's system. AM's system is designed for players with grit, who hustle and hit-that is not Ziggy. He is an explosive offensive threat and I would think playing with Mario might be more intriguing than playing with Demitra. As far as I'm concerned DT is finally building this team exactly to AM's system. He has filled the roster with vets who play the style and will fill holes with youth provided they earn their way onto the roster. This is the NHL, not the AHL, you don't just get handed a spot because you had big numbers in the minors. If Cammy and Brown want to be top 6ers they need to prove it in camp against the big boys, not impress fans on the internet. Finally, take a look around the West. What team hasn't lost good players and not replaced them? This is the new NHL, no team will be stacked, every team will have question marks and every team-except for Washington-will enter each season with a legit shot at the Cup. Tampa jost lost their team when Khabibulin went to a bad Chicago team, think they're a little anxious in Tampa?

Old
08-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Sleestak

Trying to write off losing your best player because he is injury prone is laughable. Hell, the whole freaking team is injury prone.

Losing Palffy was a blow to this team, whether individual fans think so or not. The guy was our best player and top scorer. To accept it without questioning it, or to actually think it is a good thing, then you are on a different planet then the rest of us.

George

Old
08-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Trying to write off losing your best player because he is injury prone is laughable. Hell, the whole freaking team is injury prone.

Losing Palffy was a blow to this team, whether individual fans think so or not. The guy was our best player and top scorer. To accept it without questioning it, or to actually think it is a good thing, then you are on a different planet then the rest of us.

George
We lost him 2 years ago. I knew when he rejected the Kings first offer of 6.5 million he wasn't coming back. He obviously didn't want to play in L.A., so good bye Ziggy, I'd much rather take a guy with a lesser skill set who wants to play for the Kings then someone who didn't want to be here.

Old
08-07-2005, 11:37 AM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
LOL! exactly...its funny why people are that way...
Quote:
it is a blow, if not then you wouldn't see so many threads here that is directly or indirectly because of losing ziggy.

Old
08-07-2005, 11:49 AM
guzmania

Demitra-Roenick>>>>Palffy-Stumpel

The team is better. Go through it position by position, not one guy by himself. Also factor in the addition of Conroy, much maligned, seriously and continually underated. Like Matti Norstrom (if he were a free agent would he have commanded $4mil?) and Lubo aren't on the team? Like the talent level on the verge of making rookie impact isn't higher than at any time since Luc and Carson came up? I am stoked.

No Modry, no Cech (I thought he'd be better), no Stumpel, no Ziggy. There is only one guy on that short list I would consider bringing back, and he went a different way. No tears.

Old
08-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Matt13

Quote:

George

why is it laughable? Miller is blown off in the same manner.

and the new team is not injury prone anymore.

Old
08-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

For the people complaining about losing one of the stars, not replacing them and believing the Kings are worse today than they were with their 03-04 roster... let me bring up the San Jose Sharks for ya.

They lost some of their best players over the past couple of seasons... namely Owen Nolan and Teemu Selanne. Mike Ricci and Vincent Damphousse went off the sign elsewhere last summer.
All they have to show on the roster after losing all of those skaters is Alyn McCauley (acquired from Toronto in the Nolan trade).

In 02-03, the Sharks finished last in the Pacific Division. After losing Owen Nolan and Teemu Selanne, the Sharks finished first in the Pacific Division in 03-04.
No significant additions were made to the Sharks roster. You know what happened? They gave their young guys a shot, and Jonathan Cheechoo exploded from a 9 goal, 16 point season in 02-03 to 28 goals and 47 points.
Their second line center, Alyn McCauley didn't crack the 50 point mark. They bring in a European outcast Nils Ekman who goes on to be the second leading scorer on the Sharks with 22 goals and 55 points.

After losing Owen Nolan and Teemu Selanne, not a single big name free agent was signed, and the Sharks jump from last place to first in the division. Keep that in mind next time you are going to ***** at Kings management.

Old
08-07-2005, 12:46 PM
guzmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13
why is it laughable? Miller is blown off in the same manner.

and the new team is not injury prone anymore.
And they NEED a hell of a lot less "protection". They can take care of themselves.

Old
08-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Matt13

How can you anyone call Ziggy Palffy a top 10 player in the league?

03-04 35 games 41 points - finished 131st
02-03 76 games 85 points - finished 10th
01-02 63 games 59 points - finished 56th
00-01 73 games 89 points - finished 8th
99-00 64 games 66 points - finished 32nd
98-99 50 games 50 points - finished tied for 65th

In 6 years he has cracked the top ten in total points for the league, twice. His closest to completing a full season was in 02-03 with 76 games. Now 3 years older, no healthier, you want him signed?

Ziggy Palffy is inconsistant. He is a top 10 TALENT in the league, but can not play the game (stay healthy) the way the game is played in on the NHL level. Now maybe, he didnt thrive under Andy Murrays system and will play more lgames with a tougher team behind him. Regardless, if Murray is still the coach, Ziggy Palffy is not worth signing because you just dont know when he is going to break down.

Old
08-07-2005, 01:02 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
In 02-03, the Sharks finished last in the Pacific Division. After losing Owen Nolan and Teemu Selanne, the Sharks finished first in the Pacific Division in 03-04.
Quote:
No significant additions were made to the Sharks roster. You know what happened? They gave their young guys a shot, and Jonathan Cheechoo exploded from a 9 goal, 16 point season in 02-03 to 28 goals and 47 points.
Quote:
After losing Owen Nolan and Teemu Selanne, not a single big name free agent was signed, and the Sharks jump from last place to first in the division. Keep that in mind next time you are going to ***** at Kings management.
Quit making sense.

And they beat the Avs in the playoffs. The one that was supposed to score 453 goals with Sakic, Forsberg, Tanguay, Hejduk, Kariya, and Selanne. But they couldn't beat the Flames, who scored 5 fewer goals than the Kings in 03-04(I know, the Flames actually made the playoffs). The Flames team that had a goaltender that nobody had heard of before. The Flames team that went into the playoffs with very little in terms of experience.

But the Kings should get the top 9 scorers in the NHL, the last 5 Norris Trophy winners, and 3 Cup winning starting goaltenders. Then, maybe , fans could feel safe and secure in the knowledge that going into September, the Kings would be considered a serious Cup contender by all the experts. But they still might need the 10th scorer, the runner up to the Norris, and a guy that was a backup on a Cup winner, just to make sure.

Old
08-07-2005, 01:15 PM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt
Totally disagree...nutter is nutty. Even nuttier would be giving Palffy $4.5 mil when he's 35 yrs old and even more broken down on opening night of 07-08.

But he's right about making room for the kids to play and I'm disappointed that the Kings aren't doing that. But I look at the bright side: JR will probably get hurt and then a kid can play.
Classic!

I agree, but i'm also quite proud that they've dropped (nuts) that is! Some people like Ice Capades. I love hockey for the sport that it is, but i'm a bit jaded on the approach that our club takes. You guys all start losing your rag when we sign guys like John Tripp, and Randy Robitaille. Then we lose one of the best players in the NHL, and say he didn't want to be here and good riddance. I could care less about the drama that most of you guys feed off. I pay for tickets to be entertained. Not to see a bunch of Bush Leaguer's play the game. I'm not a GM and I think DT has done an exceptional job, with his hands being tied most times. Maybe they should just stay away from press conference's and focus on the team.

Jason Allison and Ziggy Palffy will terrorize the league, and we'll all just say, they were a bunch of a-holes, and i'm glad they're gone. You guys did the same with Schneider, Smolinski..........crap every player. Minus the biggest nob of them all......Rob Blake. Who BTW was our captain at the time. Great captain, huh. Maybe LA really has something funny in the air!

I can be argumentative just like most of you. But this justification crap just goes on and on.

Yours Truly!

Nutty *******!

Old
08-07-2005, 01:20 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginutter
Classic!

I agree, but i'm also quite proud that they've dropped (nuts) that is! Some people like Ice Capades. I love hockey for the sport that it is, but i'm a bit jaded on the approach that our club takes. You guys all start losing your rag when we sign guys like John Tripp, and Randy Robitaille. Then we lose one of the best players in the NHL, and say he didn't want to be here and good riddance. I could care less about the drama that most of you guys feed off. I pay for tickets to be entertained. Not to see a bunch of Bush Leaguer's play the game. I'm not a GM and I think DT has done an exceptional job, with his hands being tied most times. Maybe they should just stay away from press conference's and focus on the team.

Jason Allison and Ziggy Palffy will terrorize the league, and we'll all just say, they were a bunch of a-holes, and i'm glad they're gone. You guys did the same with Schneider, Smolinski..........crap every player. Minus the biggest nob of them all......Rob Blake. Who BTW was our captain at the time. Great captain, huh. Maybe LA really has something funny in the air!

I can be argumentative just like most of you. But this justification crap just goes on and on.

Yours Truly!

Nutty *******!
totally agree with you nutter...

but really, all you can say when they leave is best of luck...i don't advocate telling them 'good riddance' or talking down on them when they were here...we all cheered for them when they were here...and when they leave, we have a bunch of threads talking about them leaving.

lets just all move on and see what the young guys can do...

Old
08-07-2005, 01:27 PM
lakonigla

The reason for the Sharks success in 03-04 was mainly because of Nabokov's play and not because of guys like Ekman. The question here is, if Garon can carry the team to success and after following this board many doubt that. Players like Ekman have we enough.
And I just can't get why many say Palffy is soooo fragile. Sure sometimes I got little nervous when Palffy was checked hard. But in his career he nearly missed any games for the Islanders (81 games, 80 games, 82 games, 50 games because of contract disput). And for the Kings he played 64, 73, 63, 76 and 35 games and in every playoff game the Kings played since 2000. To loose a player who averages 30 G, 38 A, 68 P, +17 a season for the Kings is hard. Sure he averages just 62,2 games in his five years for the Kings. Sure we lost him maybe a year ago as he didn't accepted our 6 $ offer. Maybe he's the happiest guy leaving LA. But it's no doubt the Kings will have a hard time replacing him. With Demitra it's possible, but at that time its questinable the Kings have much improved, but we'll see its just August 8th.

Old
08-07-2005, 01:46 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakonigla
The reason for the Sharks success in 03-04 was mainly because of Nabokov's play and not because of guys like Ekman. The question here is, if Garon can carry the team to success and after following this board many doubt that. Players like Ekman have we enough.
And I just can't get why many say Palffy is soooo fragile. Sure sometimes I got little nervous when Palffy was checked hard. But in his career he nearly missed any games for the Islanders (81 games, 80 games, 82 games, 50 games because of contract disput). And for the Kings he played 64, 73, 63, 76 and 35 games and in every playoff game the Kings played since 2000. To loose a player who averages 30 G, 38 A, 68 P, +17 a season for the Kings is hard. Sure he averages just 62,2 games in his five years for the Kings. Sure we lost him maybe a year ago as he didn't accepted our 6 $ offer. Maybe he's the happiest guy leaving LA. But it's no doubt the Kings will have a hard time replacing him. With Demitra it's possible, but at that time its questinable the Kings have much improved, but we'll see its just August 8th.
nabokov and a very tight checking defensive system that propelled them to the top of the conference.

it would be very hard to replace ziggy...demitra is a good player but not the skill of a palffy...hopefully demitra and roenick combined would offset the players the kings have lost the past few years in allison, deadmarsh and palffy...but i doubt it. the future is in brown and cammy...lets see what these guys can do in the regular season...

Old
08-07-2005, 03:23 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

u kno wat's BS? if the kings only wanted to sign a 2 year contract w/ ziggy, they shulda just gotten kariya since he signed for the smae money as ziggy but at 2 years. now that they gambled and let him go, they lost their shot at ziggy and now we're left without a top 6 forward. personally, i think im fine if we went into the year like this, but if we trade and lose prospects or picks for a guy who's skill level is equal to that of the free agents, i'm goin to be pissed.

Closed Thread