HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Keys against the Sabres ?

Old
04-12-2011, 02:25 AM
SgtJoseph

vCash: 500
Keys against the Sabres ?

In my opinion the key to the Flyers winning against the Sabres will be to put the body on them every chance we get to slow their players down, and we need to be able to do this consistently with our sticks down so we don't draw stupid high sticking and tripping penalties.
Vanek and Gerbe are very fast and if they are not slowed down they will be trouble for our defense to contain, especially Vanek who can really slice through a defense quickly and finish as well as anyone.We have got to finish checks every chance we get and wear them down....There are a lot of other factors certainly [ miller can be tough etc], but the key in my opinion will be the checking game and winning the boards cleanly with out taking dumb penalties.We have as good a team as anyone 5 on 5.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 06:40 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

The main key for me is not sucking.

When this team doesn't suck, they're pretty freaking awesome.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 06:53 AM
ThePiousInfant

Park some ***** in front of Miller.

ThePiousInfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:07 AM
ORYX

Keep the ice in front of Bob or who ever is in net clear. As long as our goalies can see the puck they can stop the puck.

Get traffic in front of Miller (same concept above, cant stop what he cant see).

Be physical. Buffalo isnt the biggest team around, and they have alot of inexperienced players on their team. Show them what is like to play in the post season. I'd like to see Hartnell, Richards, Briere, Giroux, Carter throwing the body around.

Also, it seems Buffalo fans think that shutting down the HBL line is their key to victory. I guess they dont realize that this team has 7 20 goal scorers? (well ville has 19 to be fair). Picking one line to target will not go over well. Buffalo needs to come out rolling 4 physical lines and always attacking if they are going to win this series.

Unless Philly plays like complete ****, I dont see them losing.

I dont like the term 'switch' but in all honesty, this team will respond to being put behind the 8 ball for the first time this season. Most other teams have been fighting for a playoff spot all year or the greater part of the second half. What we see is what we get from Buffalo, where as the Flyers have tonnes in the bag. I dont think those teams who have played their best the last 3 months can sustain that effort throughout the playoffs. Thats why its teams that get hot in the playoffs that often find themselves winning the cup, and not the teams that finish the regular season hot.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:26 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I agree with the physicality, and Oryk's opinion to get traffic in front of the net.

Also, Buffalo is a generally fast team. The second the Flyers stop skating and start coasting, they'll get burned.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:35 AM
phillyfanatic

1. Traffic in front of Miller. JVR and Hartnell need to play big
2. Make it a physical series. Hit everyone, clean, but hard. Chip, chase, check.
3. Pronger back

I am not even going to say anything about our goalies. Just as I thought all year, a "decent" goalie can win with this team. As long as we play hard and fast and neutralize their offense, this is our series. Lets Go Flyers.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:36 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I agree with the physicality, and Oryk's opinion to get traffic in front of the net.

Also, Buffalo is a generally fast team. The second the Flyers stop skating and start coasting, they'll get burned.
Yep. One thing I've noticed in the last couple of months -- when we're playing like **** -- we tend to run around too much in our zone. When we finally get it out, we dump it and change all five guys, which means that our opponent comes out of their zone uncontested and we basically give them half of the ice free.

When we're at our best, we get it deep, pin teams down there, and cycle. That's what we need to do, and it's all gonna start from our defensive zone and moving the puck out quickly. These unforced turnovers in our own zone need to stop. A quick team like Buffalo will burn us if we do that too much.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:51 AM
Mgkibbles

Same as it was last year when the Flyers matched up with Boston and Montreal. Both Rask and Halak were on fire last year, and the Flyers beat them by getting to the net, and keeping those goalies flustered. That's the way to beat elite goalies, so if the Flyers want to win they need to be constantly buzzing around Miller's cage.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 08:39 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Buffalo is a pretty terrible party city so I see the Flyers having no problem taking care of them up there. It's when they are home that the temptation gets to them. I say the key to the series is staying sober throughout. I know it's a long shot but it could happen.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Cartsiephan*

It is pretty simple. If this team plays at the compete level their are capable of playing at they should not lose this series. If this team plays like it has over the last month plus it will be a very short post-season, the Sabres are not a pushover and are something like 16-4 over the last twenty games.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 08:50 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Forczech, forecheck, fourcheque.
Any way you wanna spell it. They gotta get it done.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 09:02 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

Defensive hockey.

I don't know when we stopped playing it, but it's always a rush for offense. Good offensive breaks come with good defensive play. We have to stop getting caught and letting teams get clean breaks on us.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 09:14 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Defensive hockey.

I don't know when we stopped playing it, but it's always a rush for offense. Good offensive breaks come with good defensive play. We have to stop getting caught and letting teams get clean breaks on us.
And with good smart defense usually comes efficient, smart offense. Stop with the stupid cross-ice passes, just get the puck deep and track it down by making the d-men have to play the puck with a man on their backs.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 09:21 AM
StandingCow

Screen the goalie, that is it... take him totally out of the equation and get to rebounds.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 09:33 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

The West German BMW 3 keys to the game

* Special teams
* Clutch goaltending
* Discipline/controlled intensity (i.e. play smart)

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 09:35 AM
decadentia

Keep their feet moving, hustle on the forecheck, be motivated. Protect Bob from the other team like the plague to enable some time for him to get some confidence (hell, pretend he's Leighton).

Oh and some really good drugs (illegal if needed) to get Briere and Pronger game ready sooner.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 09:38 AM
DMadd

I think they should park pronger infront of the net on the PP like they did last year, also they need to keep their emotions under control but still play with some emotion

DMadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Mike2000z28

Without Pronger in beastmode and the calm he brings and blocking shots, we are for sure doomed. This team really needs him to play.

Mike2000z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMadd View Post
I think they should park pronger infront of the net on the PP like they did last year, also they need to keep their emotions under control but still play with some emotion
Not sure its worth risking injury from a shot hitting him, especially in the hand..

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 09:56 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2000z28 View Post
Without Pronger in beastmode and the calm he brings and blocking shots, we are for sure doomed. This team really needs him to play.
Yeah not looking good. You can only go so far without your main anchor out there. That hand/wrist are not going to be 100% anytime soon. That crap takes a looong time to heal properly. I hurt my wrist and it took two years before it was back to normal. His injury is the bone in the hand I guess so not as debilitating but still....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:45 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

The forecheck is absolutely key in this series. The Sabres defense is a huge weakpoint for them. Pressure them and do it often, and they will make mistakes. Another key is physical play. The Flyers NEED to up their hitting as much as humanly possible and make their small forward core inaffective. Getting dirty in the corners and winning puck battles are a must in this series and i think we have the edge.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Ramon108

Send a message via ICQ to Ramon108 Send a message via Skype™ to Ramon108
Flyers. The best attack in the Eastern Conference, led by the opened this season Giroux and stable explosive Brière, Carter and Richards. Experience cup fight, confirmed last season.

Sabres. The team entered the playoffs on the stunning rise: 17 points in the last 10 matches - the best figure in the league. Philadelphia, on the other hand, is rolling in the opposite direction. Sabres love and know how to beat Flyers in Cup matches. Goalkeeper Flyers Sergei Bobrovsky has no experience in the playoffs and finished the regular season poorly. In "Buffalo" score can anyone - from the undisputed leader Vanek to korotyshek Emblem and Ennis - and his opponent can not focus on any particular link.

X-Factor. Chris Pronger. If the injured leader in defense Flyers will come back and play at full strength, the pendulum will swing towards the Philadelphia.

Ramon108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:14 AM
buff

No fancy play, put de puck on the net. So no hesitation by the player when he have to take a shot from de point espacialy on the PP.

And Yeah Pronger! The playoff is the reason why we paid alot for him. Pronger is a coach on the ice and can dictate the tempo and keep the puck a few time in the defensive zone.

buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:30 AM
DrHamburg

outscore the sabres in 4 games in 7 chances.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
outscore the sabres in 4 games in 7 chances.
Agreed that it is key, but definitely overrated analytically.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote