HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Callahan Out Indefinitely - Broken Ankle

Old
04-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
True, but atleast we are 4 games above .500
4 games above .500 is all you need in the playoffs

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Blue Line Monster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
I do believe this team can compete and make a serious run at the cup if Gaborik and Hank play like stars in the playoffs. This team has depth and talent. Who knows who will step up and play great in the playoffs. Heck a guy like Wolski can all of a sudden step up and play like Claude Lemieux in the playoffs..

I think Cally is a valuable player to this team (no doubt) but it seems he is being looked at like he is the 2nd coming of Mark Messier circa 1994 for the Rangers.
Again, I just don't see this depth and talent that's good enough to compete for the Cup.

Last few Cup winners leading scorers reg. season point totals:

Wings- 97, 92, 70, 55, then 4 more guys with 40 points

Pens- 113, 103, 49, 46, 39

Hawks- 88, 69, 68, 66, 51, 44, 40

This years Rangers: 53, 48, 47, 44, 43

We don't have anywhere near the talent level of these teams.. let's be realistic here.

Blue Line Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:36 AM
94now

It is bad to get hurt like that. The swelling, the pain, the cast, the crotches... No hockey, just nothing. It is just terrible for Calli.
For the Rangers it not as bad as it is for Callahan. He is no Ovechkin or Gaborik... Wait, we have lost Gaborik already, have we not?

Last edited by 94now: 04-06-2011 at 11:38 AM.
94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:20 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Line Monster View Post
Again, I just don't see this depth and talent that's good enough to compete for the Cup.

We don't have anywhere near the talent level of these teams.. let's be realistic here.
Gaborik if healthy is good for 70-80 points per year.
Dubinsky if healthy is good for close to 60 points ot more
Prospal if healthy is good for 55-60 points
Plus, this team has depth of (5) 20 goal scorers this year
The offense is fine.

The teams above do not have Hank in goal.

also, this defense can compare to these teams listed above.

This teams needs its stars to play like stars (Gaborik and Hank) and also needs an un expected hero during the playoffs and it could come from the most unexpected player.... Drury, Stepan, Wolski, Prust, Boyle...

I know this is reaching a bit to win a cup but why not! Hank is one of the best in the biz and he has a supporting cast that is pretty darn good.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Balej20*

Quote:

You're not factoring in the massive amount of key injuries the Rangers sustained to their top scorers.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
It is bad to get hurt like that. The swelling, the pain, the cast, the crotches...
the what now

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:01 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Look at what Montreal did last season with a hot goalie and the emrgence of Subban bringing fire.

They had no Markov, and also had some other injuries if I recall. I forget specifics.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Blue Line Monster

Quote:
Gaborik if healthy is good for 70-80 points per year.
Dubinsky if healthy is good for close to 60 points ot more
Prospal if healthy is good for 55-60 points
Plus, this team has depth of (5) 20 goal scorers this year
The offense is fine.

The teams above do not have Hank in goal.

also, this defense can compare to these teams listed above.

This teams needs its stars to play like stars (Gaborik and Hank) and also needs an un expected hero during the playoffs and it could come from the most unexpected player.... Drury, Stepan, Wolski, Prust, Boyle...

I know this is reaching a bit to win a cup but why not! Hank is one of the best in the biz and he has a supporting cast that is pretty darn good.
This is hilarious. Even with all your "if healthy's" the Rangers aren't even close to those teams. You really think 5 20 goal scorers are gonna carry a team the way 2 90-100+ point forwards would?

Also, Gaborik doesn't impact a game like those teams leading scorers did. Callahan impacts every game much more than Gaborik..

Our defense compares to those teams? really? Lidstrom had 70 points. Rafalski had 55 points and would be our leading scorer. keith had 69 points, and the Hawks had 3 other d-man with around 35.

Our top pair has been great defensively and I love what McD and Sauer have done as rooks, but you would like to get some offense from the blueline too..

Anyway, I like the direction the team is going, but this team has nowhere near the top end talent of the other teams that have won the Cup. If they win a round I would consider it a success to get experience for the young guys..

I don't know how anyone considers them Cup contenders though..

Old
04-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Tom Atkins

Quote:
This is hilarious. Even with all your "if healthy's" the Rangers aren't even close to those teams. You really think 5 20 goal scorers are gonna carry a team the way 2 90-100+ point forwards would?

Also, Gaborik doesn't impact a game like those teams leading scorers did. Callahan impacts every game much more than Gaborik..

Our defense compares to those teams? really? Lidstrom had 70 points. Rafalski had 55 points and would be our leading scorer. keith had 69 points, and the Hawks had 3 other d-man with around 35.

Our top pair has been great defensively and I love what McD and Sauer have done as rooks, but you would like to get some offense from the blueline too..

Anyway, I like the direction the team is going, but this team has nowhere near the top end talent of the other teams that have won the Cup. If they win a round I would consider it a success to get experience for the young guys..

Its more fun to watch when you believe your team can win. Thats why we are fans in the first place. Reality bites though haha

Tom Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Look at what Montreal did last season with a hot goalie and the emrgence of Subban bringing fire.

They had no Markov, and also had some other injuries if I recall. I forget specifics.
Habs fan here.

Thanks, man

Sympathies to you guys for losing Callahan... especially from an injury caused by Chara.
I would love to see the Rangers take down one of the top 3. Especially Boston or Philly.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 07:52 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post

Exactly. Injuries do happen in the NHL.

A team can win with a hot goalie and some other players stepping up during playoff time. Montreal is a perfect example and we all know Hank is better than Halak. Goaltenders aside, this Rangers team has as much or more talent than Montreal had last year.

Old
04-07-2011, 08:04 AM
msv957

Quote:

It's not all about how many points a players has. What I see is a Ranger team that has:

The 4th best Goal differential in the NHL (+35)
The 4th best Goals against (GAA) let up in the NHL (193 goals against)
The 13th most GF (Goals scored) in the NHL. (228 goals scored)

This is a team that can compete and win. Hank has to play elite in the playoffs in which he is capable.

I understand the goal scoring is not the 1984 Edmonton Oilers but the goal scoring is enough to get the job done and more. This team needs someone step up in the playoffs and needs Hank to play elite in the playoffs.

It would be interesting to see where Montreal ranked in goal scoring in the NHL last year also where the past Stanley cup champs ranked in the NHL in goal scoring for that year.

Old
04-07-2011, 09:21 AM
kennglin13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
Habs fan here.

Thanks, man

Sympathies to you guys for losing Callahan... especially from an injury caused by Chara.
I would love to see the Rangers take down one of the top 3. Especially Boston or Philly.
The irony of all this is that if the NHL suspended Chara for his hit... this would have never happened to Callahan!

kennglin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:27 AM
Blue Line Monster

Quote:
It's not all about how many points a players has. What I see is a Ranger team that has:

The 4th best Goal differential in the NHL (+35)
The 4th best Goals against (GAA) let up in the NHL (193 goals against)
The 13th most GF (Goals scored) in the NHL. (228 goals scored)

This is a team that can compete and win. Hank has to play elite in the playoffs in which he is capable.

I understand the goal scoring is not the 1984 Edmonton Oilers but the goal scoring is enough to get the job done and more. This team needs someone step up in the playoffs and needs Hank to play elite in the playoffs.

It would be interesting to see where Montreal ranked in goal scoring in the NHL last year also where the past Stanley cup champs ranked in the NHL in goal scoring for that year.
Canes- 3rd in goals scored the year they won
Ducks- 6th
Wings-3rd
Pens-4th
Hawks-3rd

The Rangers are 13th but that's including 10 6+ goal games which was leading the league in 6+ goal games a couple weeks ago(dont know where to check this stat now). Meaning that besides those 10 games, the Rangers struggle to score in most other games. If you're only 13th after having the most blowout wins in the NHL it's not really a good thing.. This also skews goal differential.

Last edited by Blue Line Monster: 04-07-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old
04-07-2011, 10:08 AM
msv957

Quote:
Canes- 3rd in goals scored the year they won
Ducks- 6th
Wings-3rd
Pens-4th
Hawks-3rd

The Rangers are 13th but that's including 10 6+ goal games which was leading the league in 6+ goal games a couple weeks ago(dont know where to check this stat now). Meaning that besides those 10 games, the Rangers struggle to score in most other games. If you're only 13th after having the most blowout wins in the NHL it's not really a good thing.. This also skews goal differential.
Thanks for the looking these stats up. Just curious, where Montreal ranked last year in goals scored in the NHL.

Why are you trying to minimize the 10 6+ goal scoring games? I am looking at that stat as something very positive where it shows this team has the talent to score in the NHL. They just need someone to step up and score in the playoffs! The talent is there. Gaborik had an off season. He is considered a STAR in the NHL.

Old
04-07-2011, 10:32 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Thanks for the looking these stats up. Just curious, where Montreal ranked last year in goals scored in the NHL.

Why are you trying to minimize the 10 6+ goal scoring games? I am looking at that stat as something very positive where it shows this team has the talent to score in the NHL. They just need someone to step up and score in the playoffs! The talent is there. Gaborik had an off season. He is considered a STAR in the NHL.
Do you think it likely that on the heels of an "off season" he is going to light it up in the playoffs? Seems pretty unlikely to me. I have to believe his performance, or lack thereof, is due to injury and he's not going to return to his previous self without at least some extended recovery time.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
the what now
Classic

Quote:
So let's not even hope for the best? Why even play out the season if we don't have a star like Crosby.
Quote:
You obviously missed all of last season.

Quote:
He's ranking their defensive skills. You took the best D in the entire league (Detroit) and matched it against ours. Lidstrom is a top 5 defensemen in the history of the game, you can't really compare him to anyone. In the east, our D matches up to pretty much everyone.
Quote:
Playoff hockey is different. There's a reason people say "defense wins championships." I do think that the inexperience on this team will be our downfall. However, our top 4 for the next 10 years is looking stellar. Not to mention we have McIlrath, MDZ, V-tank and Kundratek all in the system. I don't need a PPG defensemen on our blueline to be satisfied.
Quote:
I agree with this, but to write them off completely is not right. They are underdogs and would have to put together one hell of a run. Unlikely, yes, impossible, no.

Quote:
Agreed, but let's not sell this team short like you are doing.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:43 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
It is bad to get hurt like that. The swelling, the pain, the cast, the crotches...
Note to self... stay away from 94now when he gets injured....... or should I? hmmmmmm.....

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Blue Line Monster

Quote:

Habs were 23rd. Which is a big reason why they didn't win anything. They scored pretty decently in the playoffs anyway but still couldn't compete with the big boys, even with Halak playing very well. Cammalleri led the playoffs in goals with 13 goals and 19 p in 19 games. Gionta was I think 4th or 5th in goals in the playoffs. All this still wasn't enough because they didn't have enough elite offensive talent, much like the Rangers.

To the 2nd part. It means in most games the Rangers can't score. in 10 games they had a ton of goals, but in the other 70 they don't score much..

Old
04-07-2011, 11:21 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Note to self... stay away from 94now when he gets injured....... or should I? hmmmmmm.....

Have to turn Autocorrect OFF...

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:14 PM
NYSportsfan87
Thank You Eli

This really sucks.

NYSportsfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Its been a week since Cally got hurt...last week Zipay said that x-rays were expected and further treatment. I understand and agree with the idea of keeping everything quiet, but has there been any word on Callahan, I don't think so.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:14 PM
bscharf

If the rangers beat the caps, at what point does cally return? 2nd round? or is that too soon.

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscharf View Post
If the rangers beat the caps, at what point does cally return? 2nd round? or is that too soon.

east conf finals....5 weeks from today would be around game 3.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:24 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR BLUE18 View Post
east conf finals....5 weeks from today would be around game 3.
Just in time to win us one more game to sweep whoever it is that plays us.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote