HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Walker on Re-Entry

Old
04-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Wait...what?

Link?

(I dont feel like argueing the rest. Its already been stated numerous times about Walker that he just isnt that good. But whatever. Walker = Boyton. At best 7th guys... who really shouldnt be playing at all. Oh and I do like how Syvret isnt good enough to play with OD but Walker is lol. Im being honest, I truely think you never saw the guy play before.)
I never said Walker was good enough to play with OD. Walker or Boynton would play with Carle, Meszaros with OD, at least while they are running 6.

I have seen Walker play many times, he's not great but he's not as bad as you think he is. You can state it all you want, it just doesn't make it true. And there weren't weapons of mass destruction in Iraq either, as it turns out.
O
ne of our #7s will have to play, if Pronger can't. Lavy will decide which one. As I said, it'll likely be Boynton or Svyret.

Link? Huh? Please provide a link to all the teams who claimed Walker, establishing the actual existence of this vast risk, as opposed to the fantasy risk that is haunting your dreams, clearly.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I never said Walker was good enough to play with OD. Walker or Boynton would play with Carle, Meszaros with OD, at least while they are running 6.

I have seen Walker play many times, he's not great but he's not as bad as you think he is. You can state it all you want, it just doesn't make it true. And there weren't weapons of mass destruction in Iraq either, as it turns out.
O
ne of our #7s will have to play, if Pronger can't. Lavy will decide which one. As I said, it'll likely be Boynton or Svyret.

Link? Huh? Please provide a link to all the teams who claimed Walker, establishing the actual existence of this vast risk, as opposed to the fantasy risk that is haunting your dreams, clearly.
You pointed out earlier that comparing call-ups to Russian Roulette is unfair and extreme.

You are now guilty of doing the same thing.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 02:13 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I dont even think Walker is healthy enough to play

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 02:16 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Homer's number 1 fanboy to the rescue!

(sorry phillyfanatic, this guy beats you out.)
Come on, I got to be something. I am not Homer #1 fanboy anymore? Now I just feel like a noboby. Can I still be Leighton #1 fanboy? Phew.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 02:44 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
It doesn't matter if he isn't claimed, Homer is playing russian roulette and is going to get his ******* head blown off. Unfortunately, we are Flyer fans, which means the gun is pointed at our heads too.

Homer should be fired for this and Leighton. I renage on my defense of him and am now over with DUHockey9 (not a hater, but not happy either). This is our hockey team and passion he is playing a game of risk with, I'm not cool with that.

I am so pissed right now. Homer, WTF. Matt Walker? For real. That is what you are mortgaging our future on? ****
I am quoting myself to show how I felt before today. This was too much of a risk IMO. If Homer has "inside information" that Walker was going to clear, then good on em. However, from his history (Jones, Gauthier) we know he has been burned before. So, he got away with it, BUT - if he keeps doing this, we will EVENTUALLY lose cap space in future years!

Think about that. We already have an aging team with very little in terms of prospects. We compete because we are spending to the cap and if you take 1 million away from us + 1 million for Laps retirement/LTIR + room required for possible moves during the season, there is NO WAY we can re-sign Leino, we may be forced to trade a D-man and STILL have average goalies.

This was too risky for me. I love the team Homer has assembled, he will always get credit for that. However, his shooter mentality is simply unacceptable. He got lucky. I doubt very much he KNEW Leighton and Walker would clear, I imagine he took a gamble. He is ******* lucky it worked out, otherwise anyone defending these moves would be as furious as I was above.

Today, it is easy to say it wasn't a big deal. But, if it went the other way, think of how HUGE that would have been!

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 03:51 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I hope this organization gives the kids a shot. But I am not holding my breath. The young guys will not learn anything down in Adirondack. especially once they have proven themselves down there. But if they call up a kid and he has a rough patch or 2 they send him down or stick em in the pressbox drinking cokes or whatever.
Most of them are never given a fair shake at all. They have a bad game and boom down they go or they are scratched. Young players are going to make mistakes. Its the only way they learn.
Oh and I am sick and tired of this "we have no room for mistakes when we are trying to win a Cup". That line of thinking is the biggest load of crap ever.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of how we bring up some of our prospects. If they don't excel, we kind of ruin them.

And I agree with your sentiment regarding mistakes and the Cup, but I'd also like Holmgren to pump the intellectual brakes every once in a while

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:50 PM
MountainHawk

I'm taking this as evidence to my idea that there is a gentleman's agreement not to take people off of Reentry waivers before the playoffs or something. It makes NO sense at all for someone in the East with some cap room not to burn the Flyers here.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:51 PM
JVR21
G

Is it worth it to be on the hook for $850k as an owner of a franchise for a worthless piece?

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:53 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I'm taking this as evidence to my idea that there is a gentleman's agreement not to take people off of Reentry waivers before the playoffs or something. It makes NO sense at all for someone in the East with some cap room not to burn the Flyers here.
With no bonus cushion (and then not being able to assume there will be the following season), teams don't want to risk it. It's another 2 years for Walker. For a lot of teams $850K is still too much for a replacement-level defenseman - assuming they think even that much of him.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:53 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Is it worth it to be on the hook for $850k as an owner of a franchise for a worthless piece?
Might wanna first ask the GM who seems to think he is a great piece for 1.7 mil

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:54 PM
BringBackStevens

Great move.

Walker provides an element we don't have on the blueline: grit, leadership, and hard work. Something guys like Timonen know NOTHING about.

Bravo Homer

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Before anybody even tries to address that, he's trolling or sarcastic.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 09:39 PM
FlyersFanatic

He cleared? Shocking nobody wanted him

FlyersFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote