Old
04-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Troy McClure

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Guy Carbo, Muller, or Gully please.
None of the above.

If a candidate has ever played for the Stars or coached the Stars, their resume should go in the trash.

Old
04-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Starsdude

So yall really think Newy is good?

Old
04-12-2011, 03:40 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post
Richards concussion cost this team dearly long term. I suspect Newy felt given what was offered he would just keep Newy and take his chances. Instead this is the worst possible scenario. This team without Brad has one good line and some decent role players but not enough, a below average defense and an average to below average goalie with a below average farm. The Texas Rangers and Jon daniels especially knew that no money means you have to build through youth. instead we sit. Newy blew it and really has not made one correct assessment since he was here from Lags, to Campbell, to richards, to Crawford, to resigning Barch and Petersen (2 goals Really) to whether we are a playoff team. Even the gogo trade is a push at best as it the Lets signing which at 3 mill was more than Niemi and others got. I give him Adam Burnish (congrats). We will be lucky to save the franchise here if this continues.
You're either high or not watching the games if you think the Goligoski trade was anything but positive for this team.

Quote:
To say, as you did in the Crawford Fired thread, that Nieuwy 'shouldn't have hired him in the first place' you're muddling the picture. I didn't like the hire pretty much from the drop of the hat but as with most things you can pre-judge and then sit back and see how things marinade. I don't see how you can possibly not give Joe credit for acknowledging the mistake and moving forward. To keep reaching back and harping on past decisions when they have been dealt with is petty.

Joe still has a lot of work to do.

Last edited by glovesave_35: 04-12-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old
04-12-2011, 04:58 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
I don't agree with the Campbell pick and Daley extension, but his trades have made it up for me. He's made some shrewd pickups with not a lot of money to work with. The Kari trade was great, and the Gogs trade looks to set us with a true PMD for years to come. Langs I don't like, but as long as he doesn't re-sign him, I'm fine.

I think Joe's done a decent job. Not wonderful, but not horrible .Firing Craw shows he's not blind either. Though he should have never been hired.

Old
04-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games Seen: 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
He's made a couple bad decisions in his first two years as a GM. Daley extension and Ott extension stand out....and if Langenbrunner is re-signed then that'll top em all....but the Lehtonen trade followed up by the Goligoski trade have been awesome for us so far.

He hasn't been absolutely terrible so far. Good, I wouldn't use but he's brought in two huge pieces for our team going forward.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
04-12-2011, 05:38 PM
SinBinTexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
He's made a couple bad decisions in his first two years as a GM. Daley extension and Ott extension stand out....and if Langenbrunner is re-signed then that'll top em all....but the Lehtonen trade followed up by the Goligoski trade have been awesome for us so far.

He hasn't been absolutely terrible so far. Good, I wouldn't use but he's brought in two huge pieces for our team going forward.
I disagree with Ott being a bad extension, he is a huge spark as well as our go-to faceoff guy.

Old
04-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Stars99Lobo37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinBinTexan View Post
I disagree with Ott being a bad extension, he is a huge spark as well as our go-to faceoff guy.
Faceoff guy, I'll agree.

But more often than not, this season, I was wishing for more out of him. Large portions of games he was completely invisible.

Old
04-12-2011, 07:22 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Let's be totally honest .... Ott is overpayed by maybe $500-$725K if you look at comparable contracts like Chris Kelly and others. That does hurt when you're on a budget, but for whatever reason, Ott is a significantly more important piece to the puzzle in Dallas than honestly makes sense. They needed to re-sign him. He needs to score a few more goals, and all is good. You're totally being nitpicky if Ott is one of your big examples.

I'll give you Daley's term as questionable, but he's better, IMO, than the other UFA $3 million defensemen. Honestly, I think he can be a Top 4 D on a good Dallas team. You can't discount the fact his partner this year was not good. In fact, since he's taken on a bigger role, he's almost always stuck with the worst D man on the ice. Give him a competent partner, then judge him.

Basically, I don't understand why people ignore the fact that while not only being a rookie GM, Joe is dealing with one of the worst business situations in the entire NHL. As far as creativity to pull something out of total dog dookie .... GM Joe gets an A+.

Old
04-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Troy McClure

Ott's deal wasn't so bad if he continued his 20+ goal pace. But scoring only 12 wasn't good enough.

Old
04-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Starsdude

No question gogo filled a void but the team was not better at only 27 points in 23 games. The trade was generally panned for the stars not getting enough and Richards leaving for nothing will set the team back years. Lags was an overpay , he was toxic in NJ and they still got alot. As for Craw, a "my bad" does not cut it. Campbell over Fowler , ...yeah Burnish is nice big deal and Lethonen proved nothing other than he can stay healthy if he does not eat too many cheeseburgers although he was clearly overused

Old
04-12-2011, 11:10 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Richards leaving for nothing will set the team back years.
Ya not having Gilroy, Christensen, and a 2nd sure will put us back years.

Last edited by MetalGodAOD: 04-13-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old
04-12-2011, 11:19 PM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

Quote:
No question gogo filled a void but the team was not better at only 27 points in 23 games. The trade was generally panned for the stars not getting enough and Richards leaving for nothing will set the team back years. Lags was an overpay , he was toxic in NJ and they still got alot. As for Craw, a "my bad" does not cut it. Campbell over Fowler , ...yeah Burnish is nice big deal and Lethonen proved nothing other than he can stay healthy if he does not eat too many cheeseburgers although he was clearly overused
You're right Burish is a big deal, he was IMO the biggest positive on the locker room.

As for Kari, I think you are truly out to lunch. The amount of games he kept us in alone made the trade worth it.

Old
04-13-2011, 12:15 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
No question gogo filled a void but the team was not better at only 27 points in 23 games. The trade was generally panned for the stars not getting enough...
I've slogged through the numerous run-on sentences and picked out the most ridiculous items.

Goligoski made and will make the Stars a better team than Neal/Niskanen did or would. The team record since the trade is just that - a team record. The trade was panned by morons who have no idea what they're talking about, namely non-Stars or Pens fans who have a hard-on for Neal and a few delusional Pens fans who think Neal is the second coming of Cam Neely. We gave up a good player and got a good player. It's not rocket science. The people who thought "ZOMMGZ they got Neal AND Niskanen holy **** batman ROFLMAOlolLolLOl!!1!" were out to lunch, which is exactly what you are for trying to argue that it was a bad trade.

What would you ever do with yourself if the Stars somehow strung together three straight Cup Finals appearances? I swear it seems like you eat and breathe negativity.

Old
04-13-2011, 01:05 AM
Stars99Lobo37

Quote:
No question gogo filled a void but the team was not better at only 27 points in 23 games.
A point a game from a guy playing defense isn't enough for you? What more do you want? Yes...he made some bad turnovers along the way but he was by far one of the best players on our team moving forward from when we got him. Am eager to see how he is for an entire season.

Quote:
Richards leaving for nothing will set the team back years.
Dallas had a prime chance, this season, to do something in the playoffs and make some extra money when the deadline approached. Nieuwy took a risk. Can anyone seriously blame him for doing so with the position we were in at the time? The team completely collapsed. Not Nieuwy's fault imo.

Quote:
Campbell over Fowler
Not Nieuwendyk's choosing.

Quote:
Lethonen proved nothing other than he can stay healthy
Which is a pretty big thing to prove when that was his biggest question mark. He played well and kept us completely in games in the 1st half of the season when we had absolutely no business coming out with even a point.

Old
04-13-2011, 12:49 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

FYI: Aaron Gagnon, Ray Sawada, and Trevor Ludwig will all be Group VI UFAs this year. They will no longer be RFAs. Look it up on Google if you want the official breakdown of the requirements to be a Group VI UFA. It's just a combination of age and games played.

Anyway, I doubt an NHL team will offer any of them a one-way contract, but there's no reason for them to sign a contract with Dallas before trying to secure one elsewhere.

A couple of Group VI UFAs that stuck out to me were Mark Mancari of Buffalo and Tyler Eckfor of New Jersey. Both could be cheap options with high risk/high reward potential.

Eckford's question mark has always been his ability to defend, but he has offensive ability from the backend. IMO, he'd basically a repeat of the Jeff Woywitka signing. Take a flyer on a relatively young guy who at worst could be your 7th, but he'd never really been given an opportunity to sink or swim in the NHL. It's worked in the past for Dallas on guys like Stephane Robidas, but it could also just be a repeat of the Wildcat.

Mancari, I'm not as high on. He has great size, questionable skating ability, but produces at lower levels. The problem I see is he couldn't really break into the Sabres lineup, and when he did, he was just a 4th liner. To draw a comparison to another former Star, he could be similar to Brad Winchester. Brad was just a guy in Dallas, went on to produce a bigger role in St. Louis, and now he's playing a decent role on a playoff team in Anahiem. Mancari may be nothing more than a 4th liner or healthy scratch in Dallas, or he could click with Ribs (Mark is a right shot) and put up modest numbers. One other positive is he'd give even more competition to Vincour and Glennie to make the team. It's probably worth the risk. However, I think Dallas already has this type of risk/reward project in Wathier and Sawada. They just don't offer the size Mancari has, and IDK if those guys are really much competition for Vincour or Glennie. He's listed at 220 plus, something Dallas has lacked.

Old
04-13-2011, 01:04 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

FYI: Here are Mancari's offensive numbers in the AHL this season: 56GP-32G-32A-64PTS, and the AHL only lists him at 215 so NM about the weight issue.

Last edited by BigG44: 04-13-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old
04-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
I really think we'll see Sawada and Ludwig up with the team next year.... well I'm sort of hoping. Mancari and Eckford would be decent acquisitions too.

Old
04-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Falcons93

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nhl...e=NHLHeadlines

News on Richards re-signing. Not sure if this has been posted yet.

Old
04-13-2011, 02:18 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Ya hats the same stuff from his exit interview yesterday (I posted all the videos on the General Chat thread). It's obvious he's going to explore FA options unless we get a new owner. Whether he likes the offers he gets and decides to go elsewhere, or Joe offers better and he takes the risk w/ the ownership, who knows.

Old
04-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Mancari, I'm not as high on. He has great size, questionable skating ability, but produces at lower levels. The problem I see is he couldn't really break into the Sabres lineup, and when he did, he was just a 4th liner. To draw a comparison to another former Star, he could be similar to Brad Winchester. Brad was just a guy in Dallas, went on to produce a bigger role in St. Louis, and now he's playing a decent role on a playoff team in Anahiem. Mancari may be nothing more than a 4th liner or healthy scratch in Dallas, or he could click with Ribs (Mark is a right shot) and put up modest numbers. One other positive is he'd give even more competition to Vincour and Glennie to make the team. It's probably worth the risk. However, I think Dallas already has this type of risk/reward project in Wathier and Sawada. They just don't offer the size Mancari has, and IDK if those guys are really much competition for Vincour or Glennie. He's listed at 220 plus, something Dallas has lacked.
I think your perception is pretty accurate - Mancari has been just another of many past Sabre prospects that dominated at the AHL level but couldn't translate it to the NHL, no matter what the circumstances or linemates he was given to work with. He lacks NHL speed and the two assets that are his biggest weapons in the AHL - his shot and his size - rarely appear in the more talented, competitive NHL.

If he goes to another team, it will be more as a role player for the 3rd or 4th line, where chipping in the odd goal will be seen more as a bonus than an expectation.

Old
04-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Ya hats the same stuff from his exit interview yesterday (I posted all the videos on the General Chat thread). It's obvious he's going to explore FA options unless we get a new owner. Whether he likes the offers he gets and decides to go elsewhere, or Joe offers better and he takes the risk w/ the ownership, who knows.
What kind of relationship did Richards supposedly have with Crawford? Will the firing be a positive or negative in his decision to stick in Dallas?

Just curious as a Sabres fan that is wishing he does hit the open market and consider Buffalo....

Old
04-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Stars99Lobo37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
What kind of relationship did Richards supposedly have with Crawford? Will the firing be a positive or negative in his decision to stick in Dallas?

Just curious as a Sabres fan that is wishing he does hit the open market and consider Buffalo....
Doesn't matter if we don't have an owner.

Old
04-13-2011, 02:48 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post

I honestly can't think of a single incident that would indicate their relationship was good or bad. Richards isn't a great interview, and he keeps to himself. I don't mean that in anyway as a negative though. He's just difficult to read.

Old
04-13-2011, 03:06 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Doesn't matter if we don't have an owner.
.... and I hope he keeps saying it over and over again.

I fully admit to being a bit upset when Richards first made the comment on Trade Deadline day. I thought it undercut his value at the deadline had Joe traded him. I've come around since then though.

I don't think it'll be the end of the world if they lose him, but him being on the roster makes the team better. It also makes Dallas a more attractive place for free agents. He's probably worth another $7.5 million cap hit to Dallas. I know in the NHL sense he is, I'm only referring to the strain that could cause on team not spending to the cap. I point that out because there is absolutely no guarantee the new owner will spend to the cap.

Now . here is why I want him to keep talking about the lack of ownership. I don't trust the people saying this deal gets done soon. I don't think the lenders are motivated enough to take a reasonable offer. However, any idiot looking at the Stars realizes losing Brad Richards will set the Stars back a bit. Enough so, that if I'm buying the team, my offer goes down without him in the mix. If I'm bidding on the Stars, and I don't get an opportunity to keep him, I'm pissed. I think/hope that Brad's situation might help to facilitate a deal who knows? It's the only hope I can think of.....

Personally, if the lenders drag their *** on this, and Richards leaves because of it, I hope the lenders lose big and lose a ton. If he walks away though, with a legitimate offer on the table from the Stars with a new owner, so be it. I can live with that.

Dallas has a small window IMO where they could jump to a really top team next season. With an owner in place and Richards' signed, they could go after a big fish in the D market this summer. IDK who you'd want, and I'd just get sad trying to figure it out knowing how unlikely it would be, but this D market is pretty solid. Next seasons has really no one. It's dry. Plus, Richards is definitely out of the picture at that point.

I still honestly believe everything I said the past few days: no new owner, Richards gone, a really tough year next year, but this scenario is the one positive I can think of if you're inclined to be optimistic.

Old
04-13-2011, 04:36 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Now . here is why I want him to keep talking about the lack of ownership. I don't trust the people saying this deal gets done soon. I don't think the lenders are motivated enough to take a reasonable offer. However, any idiot looking at the Stars realizes losing Brad Richards will set the Stars back a bit. Enough so, that if I'm buying the team, my offer goes down without him in the mix. If I'm bidding on the Stars, and I don't get an opportunity to keep him, I'm pissed. I think/hope that Brad's situation might help to facilitate a deal who knows? It's the only hope I can think of.....
What if Joe actually doesn't truly want him back at the money number he thinks it will cost, regardless of ownership situation? Of course Nieuwendykwants Richards back and will continue to say so until he signs a contract elsewhere, but maybe the lenders know that Joe's intentions are to let Richards walk and use that money elsewhere. There aren't just a whole lot of players who are worth over $7 million per year; I don't think Richards fits in that echelon of players. (Not that he won't get that somewhere)

Closed Thread