HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Scott Gomez Thread part tres - Siesta Edition

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2011, 05:05 PM
OneSharpMarble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
AK? lol What? A total of 8 games?

Anyways, not very smart to put your best playoff producer in the backseat.
I thought we were talking about gomez, not Cammalleri

Old
04-11-2011, 05:14 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I thought we were talking about gomez, not Cammalleri
Yeaaaaneooo, loved his output last season but with 25GP, you still don't get that title.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:26 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Yeaaaaneooo, loved his output last season but with 25GP, you still don't get that title.
Cammys 13 goals are worth more than all of blomezs ghost assists. Only in Montreal can you be a total waste of air all season but everyone still loves you because you might get a few assists in the playoffs.

Keep trying to justify it.

Old
04-11-2011, 06:45 PM
HCH

Quote:
If you are going to hate gomez do it because he is lazy and worthless, not because JM is an idiot and gives him more time than any other forward.
Yeah, you are right. He isn't the one making the decisions. It is just so frustrating to see guys who want to play sitting on the bench. Meanwhile Gomez is getting full minutes, plus PP time and the media still fawning over him. And why would he turn down the ice time and attention...

Old
04-12-2011, 05:37 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
First, Gomez isn't worth 5mil a year... far from it. You don't pay 5mil to a soft, lazy, unproductive, defensively challenged 3rd line centre. This year, it would be closer to 2,5-3mil... last year, maybe 4-4,5 AT BEST.

Second, why blame Sather ? Is he playing with the Rangers anymore ? We should blame to guy who brought him over, not the guy who got rid of him and absolutely fleeced the other GM in the process... and why not blaming the guy actually getting the ****ing check ?

Third, we've be ****ing on Gomez all season long because he deserves it, period.

Fourth, how can you compare a guy who isn't playing well to a guy who isn't playing because of an injury. Markov produces when he's on the ice... you find a gazillion excuses for Gomez's abyssmal performances, yet you blame Markov for getting injured

Fifth, since when playing one fifth of a season is supposed to be worthy of anything ? Gomez average to good 4 to 12 games in the playoffs doesn't change the fact that he was **** all year long and that he didn't help the team getting home-ice advantage, thus improving the team's chances to win the Cup.
Well, it's hard to defend Gomez this season, but he's a Hab and I still believe he can be a warrior for these playoffs.

PROS: we don't have him for another 7-8 years a la Lecavalier (and Vinny is way more expensive and has been on the decline for 3 seasons now, you'd think Lecavalier is already 35yrs old). Gomez gives us time for Eller and Leblanc's development (expensive but still...). Gomez is not injury prone...I really like this and yes not going into dirty areas is probably the reason for his health, but still...he's aware of who is out there (knows how to prottect himself).
Gomez has always been a solid playoffs' player...this shows that he cares and delivers when it counts the most.

CONS: he was not going into dirty areas this year, no blue-collar work when struggling...always doing the same thing which is skating fast with the puck, entering the offensive zone, getting pass intercepted and then the team has to go the other way again... he has improved on this lately,imo.

Booing Gomez: Fans let him know recently with boos...Gomez accepted it in a good way and knows what to do for playoffs. The booing was done...now we could cheer. Unless some fans want to concentrate on booing during playoffs. I still can't believe many fans booed Roy (who helped us win 2 Cups and get us to a '89 Cup Finals). Heck, many fans last year booed Price, and now people are cheering him. Not enough REAL loyalty and patience in Mtl, and imo some fans are picking on the wrong players.
I wish more people booed Ribeiro and Theodore.

5mil/year: I just don't think we'd be complaining as much if he were on a $5mil/year contract,imo. So imo he's overpaid by 2,3mil/year not the end of the world, but remember...the season's not over...the real one is just about to begin and can't ****** wait. I feel good about Gomez for these playoffs. He must feel that this is his big chance to show the HAB fans that have ZERO faith in him that he can be very useful. We will need him and I'm sure he will deliver. He was (after all) a part of why Devils won 2 Cups with Gomez as their center. He wasn't a spare tire.

Sather: well...yes we didn't have to pick him up, but Sather is still to blame for all those crazy contracts with huge amounts. Makes me feel better when blaming him!
Markov vs Gomez: I'm not blaming Markov for being injury prone, but...being healthy is part of the game. A huge part of it. You can rave and rave over a player but if he's never there, then...it's our team that suffers in the long run and we'll keep losing 2nd Round Picks as well trying to replace glass-man. Markov...great in regular season (when he's there)...Mr.Invisible during playoffs. When have we had success based on Markov's play during playoffs? Never. He plays for a huge contract ($$$$$), imo, not for playoffs. Gomez imo is more important than Markov and we haven't lost any 2nd Round picks 'cause of Gomez. And, Youtube that Grabovski slight bodycheck on Markov and tell me he's not made of glass.

Go Gomez Go!! (pick it up!)
Go Habs Go!!

p.s.: I like Gomez although I'm not a huge fan but I don't boo him constantly...I'd prefer having patience and letting him do well in playoffs. But I am a huge fan of Pyatt and many like to **** on him. He's a very cheap, solid, dependable 3rd or 4th liner. Anytime, everytime he has the puck I feel relaxed which is rare in playoffs. He is VERY VERY dependable at getting the puck out of our zone. Sure he's not as gritty as Moen, but Pyatt is VERY useful for our PK and protecting a lead.

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 04-12-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old
04-12-2011, 08:34 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Well, it's hard to defend Gomez this season, but he's a Hab and I still believe he can be a warrior for these playoffs.

PROS: we don't have him for another 7-8 years a la Lecavalier (and Vinny is way more expensive and has been on the decline for 3 seasons now, you'd think Lecavalier is already 35yrs old). Gomez gives us time for Eller and Leblanc's development (expensive but still...). Gomez is not injury prone...I really like this and yes not going into dirty areas is probably the reason for his health, but still...he's aware of who is out there (knows how to prottect himself).
Gomez has always been a solid playoffs' player...this shows that he cares and delivers when it counts the most.
On ability and leadership, Lecavalier and Gomez should never be mentioned in the same sentence. It is true that Lecavalier has a horrible contract but I thought we were past the contract issues. If Lecavalier has been in decline then Gomez has been plummeting.

Gomez doesn't give us time for Eller's development, he prevents it by taking ice time away from Eller.

Gomez doesn't get injured like Lecavalier because he is a perimeter player, staying far away from the tough going as often as possible.

Gomez hasn't always been a soldid playoff performer. I don't know where this pipe dream began or how it has kept going. In Jersey he was carried by Elias... period. Since then, not much of anything.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
On ability and leadership, Lecavalier and Gomez should never be mentioned in the same sentence. It is true that Lecavalier has a horrible contract but I thought we were past the contract issues. If Lecavalier has been in decline then Gomez has been plummeting.

Gomez doesn't give us time for Eller's development, he prevents it by taking ice time away from Eller.

Gomez doesn't get injured like Lecavalier because he is a perimeter player, staying far away from the tough going as often as possible.

Gomez hasn't always been a soldid playoff performer. I don't know where this pipe dream began or how it has kept going. In Jersey he was carried by Elias... period. Since then, not much of anything.
Well I'm done defending Gomez!!

Let the playoffs begin!!!!

No matter what anyone says...I wouldn't want Lecavalier for 9-10 years making that ludicrous amount. I'd take Martin St-Louis though.Sure he's small but he's got that crazy/wacko/insane look in his eyes when the playoffs start and he has a heart of a lion, and not injury prone like Lecavalier.

p.s.: as much as I want Eller to succeed...Eller has made defensive mistakes here and there (and yes he's improving/showing lots and lots of potential). Gomez was not taking away Eller's ice-time, imo. Eller needs one more year or one more year and a half before he can be a #2 center...Leblanc needs approx. 1 year and a half of AHL (maybe less?)...so Gomez gives them time. No rush. And Eller is already not far off from being a solid #3 center (already is showing that from time to time).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 04-12-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old
04-12-2011, 09:50 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Fine.

I'll concede that on the basis of ice time, yes you won the bet.

I did a poor job in taking into consideration JM's affinity for overpaid under-achieving veterans.

I know how to lose however, and if you insist, I will change my name... since you know, I'm a fair guy

you never know, some support for Gomez might bring him good luck
That's actually why I went with Gomez remaining as the 2nd line C. I knew there was no way that JM would allow a rookie, even one that was older like Desharnais a chance to unseat a veteran.

Haha no, I think it's more than fair that we call this one a draw.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:55 AM
m00ks

Quote:
Cammys 13 goals are worth more than all of blomezs ghost assists. Only in Montreal can you be a total waste of air all season but everyone still loves you because you might get a few assists in the playoffs.

Keep trying to justify it.
Actually, only in Montreal where you can have a nightmare season before you're thrown under a bus.

The way you wanted to ship Price and Pleka out of town. Smooth lol

Last edited by m00ks: 04-12-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old
04-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Mr. Hab

Too many Hab fans change their minds too quickly (no true loyalty, no patience).

IF coach Martin and GM Gauthier decided to follow fans' advice we'd still have Jaroslav Halak...and Carey Price would have been shipped out for who knows what? (low value last year...this year his value has sky-rocketed and many of those same fans now love him...some fans don't deserve to cheer for Price,imo).

Kovalev would still be here (ugh!).

Roy: many fans booed Roy and Roy was the main reason we got Cups in 1986 and 1993 + a Cup Finals in 1989. I still can't believe fans booed Roy. After 2 Cups + 1 Finals...he deserved the right to be lukewarm sometimes. He went on to win 2 Cups with Colorado...

Price: last year so many were booing a young Price (not everyone, but many). Where's the loyalty?

Whether Price does well or not in these playoffs...I'm a huuuuge fan. I thought it would take another season or two before having one like this year's regular season. If he has a lukewarm playoffs...I'd still sign him to a 7 year deal. i have faith in him.

Pleks and 40pts season!!: many wanted to ship him out...now we know what a solid/very good/two-way #2 center he is. Decent/good #1 center.

Gomez: yes it is true...hard to defend him but he may bounce back in these playoffs, and owes Hab fans a solid season for 2011-2012, and he knows it. With Gomez, Gionta, Camm, Pyatt, Gill,etc...Habs are 2 for 2 (making playoffs)...very very important, imo. Missing the playoffs would be so darn miserable. We now have a chance to create some magic and it starts with Price and PK...and Gomez playing well would obviously help as well.
Let's save the booing for summertime or maybe it won't happen depending on our playoff results. I'm gonna predict that Pleks helps us defensively, and Gomez will help us with offense and defense. Pleks looks semi-injured right now...doesn't look like himself out there right now, like he's at 70-80%. I hope I'm wrong.

Some true loyalty + patience would be good...

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 04-12-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old
04-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Actually, only in Montreal where you can have a nightmare season before you're thrown under a bus.

that's not really true...

Rangers fans were all too happy to see Gomez go, and that was after two seasons that were far better than anything he's done for us.

I think it's perfectly normal for a fan base to be upset with their highest paid player contributing as little as Gomez has.

If anything, it's somewhat surprising how LITTLE flack he's received the past 2 seasons... it's almost as if people would prefer to focus on the positives, as small as they may be, as a way to cope with the painful reality that we're pretty much stuck with him for years.

Old
04-12-2011, 02:31 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:

Show me a post where I said wanted Price shipped out. Until that happens you are talking out of your ass as usual. Go ahead I will wait.

Oh wait you can't, you brought this nonsense up before in another sad attempt to troll me and it was just as laughable then. If you ever get an opinion that isn't handed down by management come talk to me.

Old
04-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

Rangers fans were all too happy to see Gomez go, and that was after two seasons that were far better than anything he's done for us.

I think it's perfectly normal for a fan base to be upset with their highest paid player contributing as little as Gomez has.

If anything, it's somewhat surprising how LITTLE flack he's received the past 2 seasons... it's almost as if people would prefer to focus on the positives, as small as they may be, as a way to cope with the painful reality that we're pretty much stuck with him for years.
I'm actually surprised that he's been let off so easily to be honest. I thought the fans would've roasted him.

I remember Bryan McCabe getting run out of Toronto on a rail. Then again McCabe would actually blatantly hurt the team with his spectacularly poor defensive play so...

Anyways, like I said earlier... it's the playoffs. Gomez can redeem himself here. He needs to step up.

Old
04-12-2011, 05:34 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Show me a post where I said wanted Price shipped out. Until that happens you are talking out of your ass as usual. Go ahead I will wait.

Oh wait you can't, you brought this nonsense up before in another sad attempt to troll me and it was just as laughable then. If you ever get an opinion that isn't handed down by management come talk to me.
Well no **** I can't, your post history conveniently doesn't go that far lol. There's a reason you stood out and why I hate reading your posts, notably the Pleka/Price hate which was the main reason you initially made it into my ignore list.

Welcome back.

Old
04-12-2011, 05:45 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

Oh come on, you can't possibly deny that AK/Pleka/Price/Hammer all took turns getting grilled in these boards. It's fine to critique bad play, but people wanted them out.

Fans aren't exactly patient with players when they struggle and only a small contingency actually believe players can bounce back.

Anyweyz, not like Gomez didn't deserved the heat so there's no defending him. He sucked.

But still, reality isn't as painful for me. I still think he can bounce back and I also believe that if we had Gomez and Pleka producing at a 60-70 point clip a piece and keep it up in the post season, it can be enough to win with this system.

Old
04-12-2011, 05:51 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
if we had Gomez and Pleka producing at a 60-70 point clip a piece and keep it up in the post season, it can be enough to win with this system.
ok, I have faith that Gomez can provide a good playoff showing. I'm really crossing my fingers here.

But 70 points next year?

He's got to really transform himself in the off season - like putting in mad hours at the gym, some injections in the ass, lots of hours studying video, followed by more injections to the ass.

Old
04-12-2011, 05:57 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
ok, I have faith that Gomez can provide a good playoff showing. I'm really crossing my fingers here.

But 70 points next year?

He's got to really transform himself in the off season - like putting in mad hours at the gym, some injections in the ass, lots of hours studying video, followed by more injections to the ass.
Bof, If Pleka had 70 and Gomez 60, it's not terrible. Things can fall into place. Markov returns, Price keeps playing well, Patches returns to form, Subban and Eller continue to develop, maybe we'll make significant acquisitions.

I dunno, just don't see where the doom and gloom is.

Old
04-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Even a 65 point Plekanec and 55 point Gomez, which are completely reasonable projections given their histories, would give the Habs better than average production from their centers. Fully healthy both Cammaleri and Gionta should score around 30, add 20+ goals from Kostitsyn and Pacioretty and the Canadiens have a fairly strong top six, especially considering that most of these guys are capable two-way players.

Old
04-12-2011, 06:21 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Bof, If Pleka had 70 and Gomez 60, it's not terrible. Things can fall into place. Markov returns, Price keeps playing well, Patches returns to form, Subban and Eller continue to develop, maybe we'll make significant acquisitions.

I dunno, just don't see where the doom and gloom is.
Cup winners historically have stronger center duo than Gomez-Plekanec for their 1st and 2nd lines

More specifically, Plek is not the issue - he's more than capable of being a 2nd line center on a contender; however Gomez would be on the 3rd line on a contending team (assuming the 1st line center was a young and CHEAP star that compensated for G's 7.3 cap hit).

Are Eller / DD that star centers? Time will tell... but odds are no.

Old
04-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Oh come on, you can't possibly deny that AK/Pleka/Price/Hammer all took turns getting grilled in these boards. It's fine to critique bad play, but people wanted them out.

Fans aren't exactly patient with players when they struggle and only a small contingency actually believe players can bounce back.

Anyweyz, not like Gomez didn't deserved the heat so there's no defending him. He sucked.

But still, reality isn't as painful for me. I still think he can bounce back and I also believe that if we had Gomez and Pleka producing at a 60-70 point clip a piece and keep it up in the post season, it can be enough to win with this system.
well there is always a contingent of fans that are extreme in both their love/hate for players, but I'd argue that every fan base has fickle fans, Montreal is no exception...

but when you look at it, did any of those 4 players deliver as far below expectations as Gomez has since coming here? and I'd say that the animosity towards him is only starting to approach the levels of negative attention other players have recieved in recent memory.

and yes, if Gomez were able to deliver as expected, be a 60-70pt producer who makes his linemates better (as opposed to sending whomever he plays with into slumps), this team would be in a much better situation to be successful.

Old
04-13-2011, 02:07 AM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

http://www.nhl.com/ice/app?service=p...rt=points&pg=2

Fewest goals out of all the centers in the list. He couldn't even beat the Eric Belanger, Matt Cullen, Tyler Kennedy, and Brendan Morrison in terms of points.

How can bottom-six production from a center who is paid 7 million even be attempted to be excused is beyond me.

He deserved the boos. Handed the second line center job for the ENTIRE ****ING YEAR and you can't even outproduce grinders and journeymen centers? Let's not even go to his 4.5% shooting percentage.

Old
04-13-2011, 02:29 AM
habtastic

Scott Gomez is going the Taco Bell (Center) way.

He's ready to shut people up and answer the "bell".
Where's the beef?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DeJGN_QfTQ

I Believe in Scott Gomez! (although it's really not time for a siesta)

Old
04-14-2011, 08:46 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

I'm so gay for gomez tonight. I love my little mexican boy. I so wanna cuddle him right now

Old
04-14-2011, 08:50 PM
Et le But

Muy bien.

Old
04-14-2011, 08:52 PM
OneSharpMarble

82 games later he showed up. Good on gomez it is ABOUT TIME! He is still 2nd to Pleks because he was godly tonight against the top boston players. Good on gomez he has earned his 2nd line role tonight.

Closed Thread