HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

tim connolly outlook (merged)

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2005, 10:32 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

vCash: 500
tim connolly outlook

a lot of people seem excited about connolly's return this year
he's been written in as the 3rd line center by many a sabre fan
seeing as how he hasn't played nhl hockey in some two years and his last nhl season was A for Abysmal, i'm not even ready to give him a roster spot yet
i think as the season progresses he could become a contributor, but i don't expect anything from him as it stands now

so what is your outlook for tim connolly and his role as a sabre in 05-06?

Old
08-01-2005, 10:38 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
I am thinkin about 15-25-40ish...

Old
08-01-2005, 10:41 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
First of all, this has to be a make or break year for him.

I'm more than willing to absolve him of 2002-2003. He sucked and the team sucked. Could he have stepped up and made a positive impact? Yes, but he didn't. Perhaps he wasn't ready or perhaps he simply doesn't have it in him. Hopefully we'll find out this year.

In limited time overseas he put up good numbers this past season. We know he has the talent.

I see our centers being: Briere, Drury, Connolly, and Gaustad, in that order. Roy and Mair can move to the wings. A line of Connolly, Roy, and Afinogenov has great offensive potential. They're going to need to put up the numbers though as to make it worth not having a genuine checking line (the second line will fill this purpose slightly if it resembles that of last season).

I really don't know what to expect, but my gut says he'll put up very good numbers in respect to his playing time. If he doesn't, then I can't support his taking a place a more productive player might fill.

I want him to have his chance.

Old
08-01-2005, 10:44 PM
N.Y. Orangeman

Call me an optimist....

I believe he'll rebound and in the 2nd half of the year take the 2nd line center position, where he'll team with Vanek/Max and net 40-45 pts.

Old
08-01-2005, 11:54 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I would like to see Connolly with someone like Grier on one wing and then more of an offensive compliment on the other (Hecht, Vanek, maybe Roy). He's a right handed shot, so he'd have the LW on his forehand and if he's got a board-mining RW who can knock a few people down in all three zones, he's bound to benefit from the loose pucks that generates. I'd rather see him with a self-motivated type like Grier rather than Pyatt since Taylor has yet to find his way to imposing rather than being at the effect of his opposition.

In a fit of mildly inebriated optimism, I could see TC hitting 65 points this season (20-45-65) and finally showing that he's becoming a man rather than a very talented boy.

08-02-2005, 12:39 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
I'm pessimistic about Connolly as it's unlikely the elements of his game that must improve (grit, intensity, toughness) will due to the concussion. Players that suffer serious concussions come back to play less physical (Lindros, McKee) or return to their past form (Briere, Afinogenov, LaFontaine). I can't think of any soft playerswho improved the physical dimension of their game after such an injury.

Connolly has too much raw talent not to be given a chance, but I think the Sabres should set a limit to how much time they're going to give him. I don't want this guy on the roster if there's a more effective player sitting out or playing in Rochester. I'm hoping that the qualifying offer he received was of the two-way variety. If Connolly doesn't shine in preseason, send him down. Given the realities of the salary cap, it's unlikely he'd be claimed with his $1 million salary.

Old
08-02-2005, 01:25 AM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
I'm going to agree with Buffaloed on this...I just don't see Connolly ever becoming more than a 40 pt a year defensive liability with serious consistency problems.

Old
08-02-2005, 07:32 AM
Kruschiki

I've been optomistic about connolly, even during his concussion. I think this is his last year to prove he can play.

Old
08-02-2005, 07:42 AM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
In a fit of mildly inebriated optimism, I could see TC hitting 65 points this season (20-45-65) and finally showing that he's becoming a man rather than a very talented boy.
We all know that he has the talent, and we all have seen him put up two 40-point seasons. Those numbers you suggest are very "Satan-esque" though, and I don't see Connolly getting there quite yet. Depending on who they stick him with as linemates, I can see 50-55 points tops.

Old
08-02-2005, 08:12 PM
sabresfan65
Vote for Teppo!

First he has to finish serving his suspension.

Old
08-02-2005, 08:25 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan65
LOL- two games left, right?

Doesn't the league credit for 04/05 count for anything?

Old
08-02-2005, 08:29 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
at least it'll spare us the indignity of him turning the puck over to Zhitnik who leads Peca on a breakaway to school Biron/Noronen/Miller in the first 5 minutes of the season.....

but, I'm not worried or anything.

Ta,

Old
08-02-2005, 11:58 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
We all know that he has the talent, and we all have seen him put up two 40-point seasons. Those numbers you suggest are very "Satan-esque" though, and I don't see Connolly getting there quite yet. Depending on who they stick him with as linemates, I can see 50-55 points tops.
BAA levels can make a man type strange things.

I can't believe I put that in type. I must've been thinking it was 1985, not 2005, since even a 15% increase in scoring is going to leave him in the high 60 point range max.

Old
08-03-2005, 01:16 AM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
He's afraid to go in the corners.He's a soft center who tries to stickhandle through 5 guys and loses the puck in his own zone.Prefer it if he got bought out.

Old
08-03-2005, 07:00 AM
Buffalo Stylee

Quote:

Old
08-03-2005, 07:20 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
I like what your drinking today Chain. For me, the Sherry Oak Canadaian Club has induced visions of more blue line turnovers and non-existant back-checking.

Better break open the Elijah Craig 12 year and see what happens there (after work, of course).

Ta,

Old
08-03-2005, 08:57 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan65

Old
08-06-2005, 02:23 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
What's Tim Connolly's Future

We're pretty loaded at center, but I really don't want to give up on the guy, he's very talented and can thrive in the "New NHL" if given the chance.

If he comes back from his concussion problems, he could ideally be our number two center. I like the idea of him playing between Drury and Vanek. Drury is more of a winger to me anyway, he's had good success there when he was on Colorado.

Old
08-06-2005, 02:25 PM
Hobey Baker

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=157185

Old
08-06-2005, 02:27 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
Doh

Old
08-06-2005, 02:30 PM
Hobey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba
Doh
That's cool. Just thought I'd save you time while waiting for responses...Anything I can do to keep me away from the Power Point presentation I need to get done....

Old
08-07-2005, 03:32 PM
buffalowing

Send a message via AIM to buffalowing
ahh, Timmy I believe will still be a top 6 forward on this team. He should of played in the AHL for a few season rather than being rushed into the NHL. Same deal with Pyatt.

Old
08-07-2005, 04:50 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing
ahh, Timmy I believe will still be a top 6 forward on this team. He should of played in the AHL for a few season rather than being rushed into the NHL. Same deal with Pyatt.
What he said. As he wasn't played in the AHL, though, I think we need to be more patient with him. He's an amazing talent. He just has to put it together.

Old
08-07-2005, 05:06 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
Whether you guys like it or not, he should get 2 more seasons to prove himself. This year shouldn't be a major evaluation year, unless he totally sucks ice. If he pulls off a 15-25-40 kind of year, but still shows signs of potential, he should get another year. This guy could still be the #1 center we need, and until Zagrapan is ready to step in, Connolly can fill the role of developing center.

Closed Thread