HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Kreider is staying at BC (Won't change mind. Summer school)

Old
04-12-2011, 09:05 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

vCash: 500
As selfishly as we all want Kreider to turn pro, it's his decision and it's not stupid. He's getting an education at a world-class school for playing hockey. How you can possibly condescend that is beyond me.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 09:18 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
As selfishly as we all want Kreider to turn pro, it's his decision and it's not stupid. He's getting an education at a world-class school for playing hockey. How you can possibly condescend that is beyond me.
Because we drafted him in the first round to play professional hockey. Listen, I think it's great he wants to keep up his education. Thats show a lot about his character and the kind of person he is. You can't attack Kreider himself because it IS his decision, and getting an education is undoubtedly a good thing.

But at the same time, some people are making it sound like it's wrong to be disappointed with his decision. As a fan of the New York Rangers I will definitely be upset if Kreider goes back to college instead of turning pro, especially if he stays in college for 4 years. You can say what you want about Kreider and his lack of production in NCAA hockey, but he has the stature and will be old enough (20) to play with professionals and start learning the professional game.

When you look at it as Chris Kreider the person, you can't have a problem with it because that's just stupid to fault a kid for loving college and wanting to further his studies. But many of us are upset that this can potentially set back Chris Kreider, the hockey player the organization used its first round pick on. And you can't say you can't make those distinctions because i've seen a TON of posts here about Drury the person and Drury the player.

To attack the kid for his decision is wrong, but I think people are blowing that up. In fact i'd say the people attacking those of us who are upset he wouldn't turn pro are the ones who have been way more hostile, since I haven't seen many posts in the thread attacking Chris himself, but more his decision in the scope of his hockey career.

Sadly, what's best for Chris Kreider is what may not be best for the New York Rangers, which is incredibly upsetting since I have so many hopes for Kreider as a hockey player. If anything, going back another year frightens me that he's not the player we'll expect him to be.

edit- And just find it worth reiterating that I think he'll turn pro this year.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
You've posted this about 44 times this thread. People aren't disputing this.

If Chris does decide to go back to school (assuming there is no offer, or he passes up on one) then it's safe to say he's an absolute FOOL.

If (or when, actually) this organization does make him an offer, he needs to get his ass to Hartford where they can start molding him. The sooner the better. It's a crucial time for his development.
Exactly right. When he gets to Hartford, he will be priority number one for Gernander and his staff. At BC, he is one of 20 priorities for a coach trying to win a national championship. In fact, a college coach is more interested in his undrafted players when push comes to shove. So, sign Chris when the offer comes.

Also, I don't like that York made this pronouncement now. It puts extra, unnecessary pressure on Chris to stay at BC, and that is bull.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:30 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Ridiculous response.

So if I'm a season ticket holder, I dont have a right to have an opinion on the players who could one day make my team better?

I'm sure you've never complained about anything Rangers-related, right?
NO!You don't! You actually have a right but that doesn't mean you ARE right. You are so wrong in this it's not even funny. H'e s a kid in college who plays hockey. This isn't just anything rangers related it's very specific. If he doesn't work out for whatever reason than you blame management for the bad pick. if he is a lazy POS when he gets here you can blame him.

For wanting to stay in school this is not a valid reason to toss insults and act all indignant. you don't pay his salary and in the future you don't have to. You go for an experience and if it's not a good enough experience unless we're winning then send a messaeg to management and stop buying. Attacking 19 year olds is as the other guy said is just self entitlement and while I understand the human nature behind it I disagree with it for sure.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:38 PM
JimmyStart*

Also I'm not even dissappointed b/c I think he'll continue to develop this year no matter what and that no matter where he plays next year he still needs another 2-3 years before becoming a good pro. I also feel he'll be in AHL if not this coming year then the next for sure. If he does decide to join this coming season I'll be excited as hell if he doesn't I'm patient. I understand the overreactions and warranted dissappointment of some but with the overreactions and calling him and idiot...well muich like with McD (remember how that turned out) it's just self serving and very ...lame as someone put it.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:38 PM
The Sweetness

I'm fine with this if he does stay and there is no reason for people to think this is a horrible decision on Kreider's part.

For a guy who has yet to dominate the college game I see no reason to think that staying is a bad thing.

The truth is that he has become a more well-rounded player, but he should now focus on his offense and refine his goal scoring, and he is better suited to doing so in college given he hasn't displayed he is too far above the competition to need a step up. If he is truly a top prospect he will grow in confidence with more playing time and learn how to be more clinical in front of the net and further develop his offensive instincts.

The Sweetness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:16 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

If the report is wrong and Kreider is a pro next season, I wonder how important the college experience and his education so many of you seem to put stock into will be at that point. I'm sure at least one of you idealists will write, "he should have stayed in school", right?

If that's the case, I'll start a thread titled: "KREIDER SHUNS EDUCATION FOR PAYING JOB"

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:21 PM
CH2

Let's not forget, York said Kreider is staying in school next season. Why would he say anything different? If he hasn't signed a contract then there's only one other alternative; staying in school.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Axxion89

Wow this thread is getting ridiculous. Its his life guy not yours if he wants to stay in school and finish his education, good for him. If he drops out and suffers a career injury then what does he have? Nothing. Again its his life and if he wants to stay in school then the fans and the Rangers have to deal with it.

Axxion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:45 PM
chosen

Quote:
If the report is wrong and Kreider is a pro next season, I wonder how important the college experience and his education so many of you seem to put stock into will be at that point. I'm sure at least one of you idealists will write, "he should have stayed in school", right?

If that's the case, I'll start a thread titled: "KREIDER SHUNS EDUCATION FOR PAYING JOB"
Do you really not get it? No fan will be disappointed if he is a Ranger next year. Some of us just do not think he owes us a thing. He should do what is right for him, not what you want.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 02:15 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Do you really not get it? No fan will be disappointed if he is a Ranger next year. Some of us just do not think he owes us a thing. He should do what is right for him, not what you want.
we'll see

Old
04-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxion89 View Post
Wow this thread is getting ridiculous. Its his life guy not yours if he wants to stay in school and finish his education, good for him. If he drops out and suffers a career injury then what does he have? Nothing. Again its his life and if he wants to stay in school then the fans and the Rangers have to deal with it.
Uh, that's not true at all. He can go back any time he wants and finish his education for free. The colleges always let players do this if they wash out or even want to do it in their free time during the summer.

The only way a career ending injury effects him is if it occurs in COLLEGE. Then he loses out on ANY money from the Rangers.

You are thinking the opposite way it works here.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Uh, that's not true at all. He can go back any time he wants and finish his education for free. The colleges always let players do this if they wash out or even want to do it in their free time during the summer.

The only way a career ending injury effects him is if it occurs in COLLEGE. Then he loses out on ANY money from the Rangers.

You are thinking the opposite way it works here.
yep pretty much agreed.

im generally not in favor of moving prospects up too quickly, but this is a case where i think Kreider is dead wrong. I just don't see what more he has to learn at that level that he can't do in Hartford. To me, thats where he needs to play. he needs to be playing 60-80 games a season and get consistency in his game.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:15 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 822
You know I value an education for the average joe, but a couple of seasons at the pro level will earn more money then a 4 year grad will in a lifetime in more cases than not.

Kinda risky for him if he goes back to school and is only so so, not gonna get the same amount of money next year.

edit: can always go back to school anytime if you are so inclined, probably the same exact school without a problem if you leave in good standing.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:20 PM
3Four3

School's out! Don't just take it from the Garden Faithful:

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Ail
Occult Knowledge

Quote:

Nope, we won't say anything, because that's the whole ****ing point. It's his choice to do whatever he wants with his life. I don't care either way. It's none of my business until he signs a Ranger contract, and even then it's still his life. I hope he plays great hockey for the Rangers for 20 years, but if he doesn't, big deal.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 05:44 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
You know I value an education for the average joe, but a couple of seasons at the pro level will earn more money then a 4 year grad will in a lifetime in more cases than not.

Kinda risky for him if he goes back to school and is only so so, not gonna get the same amount of money next year.

edit: can always go back to school anytime if you are so inclined, probably the same exact school without a problem if you leave in good standing.
A season at the NHL level, absolutely, but he would be on a two way contract, so if he played in Hartford, he'd make something around $60-70k.

If he doesn't believe that he could make the NHL next year, then the financial incentives to sign are sign are much less. The signing bonus would still be there for him next year and the opportunity cost of staying another year in college would be less than $100k. Of course, if he could make the NHL rather than stay in college next year, you're looking at an opportunity cost of $900k+.

EDIT: Personally, I think he starts out in the AHL at the very least. People comparing him to Stepan are ignoring the fact that Stepan dominated college hockey offensively before making the Rangers out of camp. Although Kreider has a ton of potential, he hasn't reached that level of dominance in the NCAA.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 06:10 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Nope, we won't say anything, because that's the whole ****ing point. It's his choice to do whatever he wants with his life. I don't care either way. It's none of my business until he signs a Ranger contract, and even then it's still his life. I hope he plays great hockey for the Rangers for 20 years, but if he doesn't, big deal.
If Kreider's life is none of your business, then why the **** are you posting on this thread? You sound more like his Dad then a fan.

Old
04-12-2011, 06:36 PM
chosen

Quote:
If Kreider's life is none of your business, then why the **** are you posting on this thread? You sound more like his Dad then a fan.
He is saying that Kreider's life decisions are not our business. You are taking the exact opposite side that Kreider's decisions are our business because you root for the team that wants him to play.

Polar opposite opinions.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
I'm curious to know is Chris will receive another invite to the U.S. world championship team this year.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 06:49 PM
TreeSapLlama

As i'm sure it has been mentioned here, I do think this hurts his development (if he does return to college). Whether he plays in the NHL or the AHL, I maintain the thing Kreider needs most is to just PLAY HOCKEY. Playing more games in the AHL (or NHL) would help his development the most.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Carolina is in the same position with Brian Dumoulin, as mentioned in the OP, and they seem to be perfectly fine with it and to be honest Dumoulin has less to prove in the NCAA than Kreider does. Kid was a +40 with 22 points his Freshman year from defense and was +18 with 33 points as a Sophomore.

I am of the opinion that before you advance a player up a level, you need to let them dominate the one they're on. I think if Kreider goes back to BC like he plans, then he'll likely post numbers that could find him in consideration for the Hobey Baker. He needs that experience of being the man on a team like Stepan had. Both of these kids will be expected to step forward and really take charge next season and you'll have a more complete player in the end.

There are times when you have to temper your excitement to see a prospect debut with the knowledge that having them up too soon may prove detrimental to their future. Let him stay in college, have his fun, and come up when he's ready. Let him close the chapter on his college career the way he wants and come into the 2012-2013 season mentally and physically prepared for the NHL game.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:05 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I'm curious to know is Chris will receive another invite to the U.S. world championship team this year.
i asked that on the international tournaments forum. no response lol.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Carolina is in the same position with Brian Dumoulin, as mentioned in the OP, and they seem to be perfectly fine with it and to be honest Dumoulin has less to prove in the NCAA than Kreider does. Kid was a +40 with 22 points his Freshman year from defense and was +18 with 33 points as a Sophomore.

I am of the opinion that before you advance a player up a level, you need to let them dominate the one they're on. I think if Kreider goes back to BC like he plans, then he'll likely post numbers that could find him in consideration for the Hobey Baker. He needs that experience of being the man on a team like Stepan had. Both of these kids will be expected to step forward and really take charge next season and you'll have a more complete player in the end.

There are times when you have to temper your excitement to see a prospect debut with the knowledge that having them up too soon may prove detrimental to their future. Let him stay in college, have his fun, and come up when he's ready. Let him close the chapter on his college career the way he wants and come into the 2012-2013 season mentally and physically prepared for the NHL game.
Entirely different player, though. I am the biggest proponent around for a player staying in school and for being in the NCAA. Kreider is one of the few I would ever argue for to leave very early for (others like Stepan just had zero left to prove, so it was a good move for him) who are not complete yet.

Kreider would have been better off in the Q, shockingly enough, IMHO. His offensive game is going to be his biggest weapon and I feel it would have developed quicker and, frankly, better in the Q. I really don't care about his overall game since the speed he has would make up for it and help him in learning the two-way game much faster than the average prospect.

Chris NEEDS to get out of the NCAA. He needs to either move on to the next level or play as an overager in the Q. He needs to develop that offense more of his.

The NCAA is not the place for him right now.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:08 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeSapLlama View Post
As i'm sure it has been mentioned here, I do think this hurts his development (if he does return to college). Whether he plays in the NHL or the AHL, I maintain the thing Kreider needs most is to just PLAY HOCKEY. Playing more games in the AHL (or NHL) would help his development the most.
That's debatable because many guys have made the jump from college straight to the NHL without the benefit of a minor league season, with Stepan and Macdonagh being the most recent examples.

I want Kreider to make the jump because of what most have said in this thread -- the Rangers can provide him with resources and opportunities Boston College or Jerry York cant offer.

Once he signs that pro contract, the NCAA shackles disappear. He will have access to pro scouts, pro coaches and most importantly, people who can impact his "life" 500 times more than Boston College can.