HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft/Other Prospects (All NON-RANGERS Prospect Discussion - Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
MY main roots are with Devs organization folks, I never had a shot

It'll be interesting to see if your theory that this year more teams will trade out of the first round, more than usual. My guess is it will be no more no less than usual. Teams in a win now mode trade, those teams rebuilding/retooling/cash strapped don't.

Trading high draft picks for a difference maker is one thing, but no one has mentioned who this mystery savior that's totally available for a 15th overall pick in a weak draft is?? Give me some names as to who and then we'll go down that road.

Look at our first round draft record. Not too hot over the last ten years and probably one of the reasons we hang on to 8th spots year in year out at this point in Sather's never ending story. Giving up more young players to win now with this bunch should be for a player who takes things up a notch.

The draft is a crapshoot? The crapshoot got us who again? Henke, Cally, Dubi, Staal, Stepan, Anisimov, Sauer, etc

Christian Thomas? Meh, he was a 2nd rounder last year, could have easily traded that pick for a win now player, would that have been a good idea?
If you read my post, I specifically mentioned THIS draft being a crapshoot. Not the draft in general.

Scouts are ALL over the map with this draft. You generally don't see that most years. There is at least a semblance of stability top to bottom.

And mystery savior? Dude, do you live in the land of hyperbole or something? You can move the pick in a package, for a prospect, for a pick next year, for whatever your heart contends. Now all of a sudden you think I am claiming we will get some wonderful player with the 15th pick in a **** draft? When have I remotely claimed that.

Base ---------------------------------------------------- You

Old
04-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Who cares if scouts are all over the map, seemed like that last year and many years I've been following the draft these last 20+ years. What kind of excuse is that to give up the pick?

The EXPERTS? The experts barely had Johansen and Skinner on their lists half way through last year, now look at them. If you assumed the experts had it right then why did it take the experts almost a full season to get these two ranked in the top ten? And if Johansens and Skinners of the last year are totally unexpected and not fully realized by rankings what does that say about this year?

Again, keep telling me you already know for sure what all the 2011 draftees will project to be.......

Old
04-12-2011, 01:53 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

This draft isn't bad. It's just not deep. This is the perfect scenario for the Rangers to focus on needs. They need to beef up center ice and think post-Henrik.

Macneill reminds me of Dubinsky. Mika reminds me of Malhotra. I have no problem adding either of those guys to a 2013 or 2014 Rangers squad that will hopefully be a top-4 seed in the EC by then.

I dont think any of the top-14 GM's will be willing to move down in this draft. I wouldnt be surprised to see a Runblad-esque trade, but for now, I keep the 15th pick and use one of the 2nd rounders on either Conz or Hellberg. No more NA goalies. I think Hellberg would flourish with Henrik as a mentor. Lafleuer was a flaky clown with no backbone.

Old
04-12-2011, 02:08 PM
E Nixson
Powered by Intel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
To me there are two options in this draft:

1) Move the pick for someone established

2) Trade up

This just shows again how poor this draft is according to scouts. Yet some on here will continue to believe it's deep and great and lovely. Keep dreaming, guys.
What about the third option of drafting a player that can help us in the future.....?

Old
04-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Conz will fall long past the 2nd round, IMO

Plus, his pad size is far and away too large for the NHL.

Old
04-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Macneill reminds me of Dubinsky. Mika reminds me of Malhotra. I have no problem adding either of those guys to a 2013 or 2014 Rangers squad that will hopefully be a top-4 seed in the EC by then.

McNeil reminds me more of Kesler than he does Dubinsky. At least at that age.

Old
04-12-2011, 02:45 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
McNeil reminds me more of Kesler than he does Dubinsky. At least at that age.
McNeil is somewhat becoming the player I am settling on right now. I've brought this up before, but, Gordie's "we need to get back to drafting more Western Canadian players" from last year has stuck with me, and McNeil seems to fit both that criteria, and the current approach and mentality of the organization. The Kesler comparison only makes him more intriguing.

Old
04-12-2011, 02:56 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Where did McNeil come from? Seems to have come out of left field. Care to elaborate a little more, Trx? the Kesler comparison is indeed very intriguing.

Old
04-12-2011, 03:01 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Where did McNeil come from? Seems to have come out of left field. Care to elaborate a little more, Trx? the Kesler comparison is indeed very intriguing.
MacKenzie had him at 22 in his mid-season rankings for TSN. And, ISS had him ranked 15 in their March 15 NA skaters. NHL Central Scouting has him at #14 for NA skaters.

Old
04-12-2011, 03:03 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
MacKenzie had him at 22 in his mid-season rankings for TSN. And, ISS had him ranked 15 in their March 15 NA skaters. NHL Central Scouting has him at #14 for NA skaters.
Interesting. Haven't heard much about him.

Old
04-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

When was the last time we even moved up in the draft? 05 for Staal?

Old
04-12-2011, 04:10 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Don't know who does this site...but mynhldraft has us taking McNeill at 15.

Old
04-12-2011, 04:35 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Don't know who does this site...but mynhldraft has us taking McNeill at 15.
That site takes the updated rankings of one the scouting services, and plugs them into the current league standings. Not much to it.

Old
04-12-2011, 04:39 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
That site takes the updated rankings of one the scouting services, and plugs them into the current league standings. Not much to it.
ahh, that makes sense. Should have known when I saw this:

Team needs and tendencies are not taken into consideration for this mock.

Old
04-12-2011, 04:52 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
ahh, that makes sense. Should have known when I saw this:

Team needs and tendencies are not taken into consideration for this mock.
It does, at least from what I've seen, take reports of teams that are interested in certain players and connect them to that team. I remember in the 2010 MLB draft, top prospect Anthony Ranaudo was rumored to fall, and there were reports of the Red Sox picking him up if he fell far enough. They were also heavily in on Bryce Brentz. MyMLBdraft had both of those players connected to the Sox in a couple draft mocks after the reports came out. Come draft time, the Sox went for a reach in the first round, and both Ranaudo and Brentz landed in their laps in the supplemental round.

Old
04-12-2011, 06:23 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

The Rangers have an identity now, and it starts with Cally and Dubi. Both Macneill and Zibanejad would be great picks at 15, but Mika shot up the final rankings so he might be top-10. But Macneill is a guy I think wed all enjoy for a while. Two-way playmaking center with a mean streak and scoring touch? Sign me up.

Old
04-12-2011, 06:52 PM
boyle2boyle
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
The Rangers have an identity now, and it starts with Cally and Dubi. Both Macneill and Zibanejad would be great picks at 15, but Mika shot up the final rankings so he might be top-10. But Macneill is a guy I think wed all enjoy for a while. Two-way playmaking center with a mean streak and scoring touch? Sign me up.
This. McNeill reminds me a lot of Mike Richards, so if the whole Brad Richards thing falls through, I think they go for him. Anisimov, Stepan, McNeill would be a really deep center core.

Old
04-12-2011, 07:07 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrichsized View Post
This. McNeill reminds me a lot of Mike Richards, so if the whole Brad Richards thing falls through, I think they go for him. Anisimov, Stepan, McNeill would be a really deep center core.
the draft is before free agency.

Old
04-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Devils picking 4th ****

Old
04-12-2011, 07:27 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
Devils picking 4th ****
Who cares?

Old
Vitto79

Quote:
Devils picking 4th ****
of course the Devils move up. ****** buzz

Old
jniklast

Quote:
Devils picking 4th ****
Of course they get lucky with their first time in the lottery in how many years... Did the Rangers ever win the lottery?

Old
04-12-2011, 07:28 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
Damn, the Devils won the draft lottery. So they went on their nice run and still get 4th overall. Don't get Landeskog!

Old
04-12-2011, 07:30 PM
TrollololBoyle

It really isn't a big deal. Good drafting through seven rounds will do much more than one top five pick.

Old
04-12-2011, 07:33 PM
ecemleafs

lol, they actually won it?

Closed Thread