HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Springfield Falcons/Evansville Icemen Thread III (All Affiliate talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Hockeygirl2748

vCash: 500
Springfield Falcons/Evansville Icemen Thread III (All Affiliate talk here)

I don't think Pompea is throwing Howson under the bus. I think he is just pointing out that they have no control over injuries and trades. Many people were baffled by the Sestito trade, myself not included. He didn't fit in Columbus' plans. So get something in Chaput for him.

At least Pompea shows he is at least caring about the performance and not giving the they tried their best line.

Now onto the weekend re-cap...

4/8/11 v.s. Albany Devils

The Falcons won 6-0.

Ben Guite opened the scoring at 14:58 of the 1st period.Assists to wade MacLeod & Tomas Kubalik.

David Savard scored from the circle (his favorite place to shoot from) at 9:15 of the 2nd period. Unassisted.

Ben Guite scored his 2nd of the game at 12:35 of the 2nd period on a rebound. Assists to Nikita Filatov & Maksim Mayorov.

Tomas Kubalik scored less than a minute later at 13:40 of the 2nd period from in front of the goal. Assists to Theo Ruth & Wade MacLeod.

Trevor Smith scored on the PP at 4:42 of the 3rd period on a wristshot. Assists to Brent Regner & David Savard.

Nick Tarnasky closed the scoring at 19:46 of the 3rd period. Assists to Steven Goertzen & David Savard.

One fight...

Aaron Bogosian v.s. Brad Mills

Both landed some hard punches. Bogosian ate one square to the face. Slight win for Mills.

Bogosian is not a big guy, 6' 190. I would say more like 5'10". He is willing to take on bigger guys, and fairs OK against them.

A few notes...
A bit of dirty play in the 3rd. Kyle Neuber & Albany's Pierre-Luc Letorneau-Leblond were chirping each other. P-L L-L slashes Neuber high and then again across the leg. Not light slashes either, the leg slash has baseball swing to it. Then Louis Robitaille goes after Neuber. P-L L-L ended up with a misconduct, slashing and roughing minors. Neuber with just a roughing minor.

Allen York posted 30 saves for his 1st pro shutout.

4/9/11 v.s. Providence Bruins

The Falcons lost 3-2 to close out the home portion of the season.

Maksim Mayorov scored at 10:03 of the 2nd period. He shot the puck off of the back of goaltender Hutchinson's right skate. Assists to Nikita Filatov & Anton Blomqvist.

Cam Atkinson scored at 15:04 of the 3rd period. Assist to Ben Guite.

One fight...
Denny Kearney v.s. Adam Estoclet

The best fight of this season IMO. Kearney unleashed punch after punch on Estoclet and I don't think Estoclet landed any punches to Kearney.

A couple of notes...

Aaron Bogosian fractured his ankle during the game tonight. Get well wishes out to him.

The Falcons had a goal disallowed for being hit in with a high stick. Right call, the stick was probably 6" higher than the crossbar.

Davaid LeNeveu brought his C game. He was not playing well, not even fighting the puck. Just seemed like he didn't care that much. JMO though.

4/10/11 @ Portland Pirates

Falcons won 2-1 in OT.

Tomas Kubalik scored at 5:41 of the 3rd period. Drove hard to the net to score. Assists to Denny Kearney & Ben Guite.

Nikita Filatov scored at 3:05 of OT to win it for the Falcons/ Assis to John Moore & David Savard.

A few notes...
Paul Dainton had 17 saves to pick up the win in goal.

The Falcons outshot the Pirates 15-1 in the 3rd.

I will be posting a report card for most of the players this evening. A grade and a few thoughts about how they progresses or regressed this season.

Old
04-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Hockeygirl2748

First up the fowards...

Ben Guite - C Guite missed some time due to a lower body (foot/ankle) injury. Never really got going offensively after that. He had a good few weeks whent he Kubalik-Guite-Calvert line clicked, but not much else this season.

Tomas Kana - B- Missed most of the season due to injuries. Showed show offensively ability but was not given linemates that could help. Can check well for the smaller player. Willing to stand up for his teammates and drop the gloves when needed.

Chris D'alvise - A- Prior to his season-ending injury he was one fo the top Falcons players.A great pick up from the Stockton Thunder of the ECHL. Good speed.

Mike Blunden - B Blunden started the season well offensively for the Falcons, as time went on his scoring cooled down. Just prior to his season-ending shoulder injury he had found his offensive game again. His scoring drought was not related to a bad performance on ice, just seemed like he was truly snake-bitten for awhile.

Cam Atkinson - A Impressive in the few games he played for the Falcons. He had good speed and always is going hard to the goal.

Aaron Bogosian - B He is a smaller player at 6' 190, I again say he's 5'10" probably. Willing to fight bigger players and lay his body on the line for the team (as shown by his fractured ankle Saturday night). He probably won't put up much offense, but would be a good 4th liner.

Greg Moore - C- Did not bring much to the team offensively and was not a great 3rd/4th liner. Pretty forgettable performance while here.

Maksim Mayorov - C- He floats 90% of the time and still put up OK offensive #'s. Frustrating to watch because I know how much better he would be if he hustled.

Steven Goertzen - B+ Part of the Falcons best overall line this season with Frischmon & Tarnasky. Not going to give you a ton of offense, but works hard and was a huge factor in why the Falcons had the 3rd best PK in the AHL.

Tomas Kubalik - A- Led the Falcons in scoring as a rookie. Uses his long limbs well. Battles in the corrner for pucks much better than at the start of the season. Overall, a very impressive player that could have accomplished even more if Riley was not line bouncing him the last 3 months of the season.

Trevor Firschmon - A The true captain and leader of the team. Plays will all heart. Created most of the Falcons SH oppurtunities this season. And leader of the PK unit.

Kyle Neuber - C- Missed most of the season due to injury and was healthy scratched for most of the games after that. Mediocre fighting skills. Willing to take on the big fighters, but it normally does not end well for him.

Wade MacLeod - C Looked OK in his month long stint with the Falcons. Did not stick out though as being a 1st or 2nd liner on a good AHL team.

Nikita Filatov - C Nikita shows flashes of his offensive greatness, but lacks the ability to finish. Then there are games he is literally falling over himself numerous times. If he can focus on the game and not the lifestyle it will help him next season. If not, I don't see him with a future playing in North America.

Nick Tarnasky - C+ Worked well on the Frischmon-Goertzen line. Hard working and decent speed for a checker. His fighting ability is not nearly as good as Falcons fans want to believe. He lost most of his fights this season and was overmatched a lot.

Kyle Wilson - A- Only played about a month here in Springfield but was the best offensive player all season. Would have loved to have him around for a full season to see what could happen. He has a good eye for the play, being a vet helps I guess.

Petr Kalus - D- No hustle. Most games he played I barely noticed him on the ice. He did not show me anything worth mentioning. He was scratched the last couple weeks of the season. Pretty sure Riley had seen enough. On a good note, at least CBJ did not give anything up to get him.

Denny Kearney - B+ Good chemistry with Atkinson. He can score, make plays and even had the best fight of the Falcons season. I am realy hoping Columbus offers him at least an AHL contract.

Trevor Smith - C+ Put up some offense in the few games here before going down with an injury for 6 weeks. Post injury his offense was spotty and often times he looked disinteresed. Maybe that is his normal look...

Defensemen...

Nick Holden - A The most steady and NHL ready d-man. Not going to give a lot of offense. He is the d-man I want out there ES and on the PK. Plays his position well, good stay at home d-man.

Jonathan Sigalet - C A tale of two halves for Sigalet. He started the season off not playing well and out of position a lot. Overall sloppy play. Things started to turn around for Sigalet after the All-Star break. Seems to have found his confidence and I know he was a leader in the locker room to the younger d-men.

David Savard - B+ The biggest suprise of the season for me. I was not overly impressed by Savard when the season began. He worked hard and lost some weight which really helped his game overall. He loves to shoot from the circle and most of the his goals will come from that area. He has improved his defensive game as well. He is rarely caught out of position.

John Moore - C Another case of a tale of two halves. Moore started out the season as one of the best d-men on the Falcons. He had decent positioning and would sometimes get caught when joinig the offense, but had been getting better about choosing his spots. He was playing against the opposing teams best lines. Then came the 2nd half. After returning from his call-ups to Columbus he started to re-gress and at times looked like he did not know what to do. His attempt at checking is not good at all. Needs to add muscle this summer. I can't say if he bought into all the hype around him during the All-Star game and call-ups or not, but it would not be shocking if that had something to do with it. Also, he LOVES to play offense, I mean he litteraly will be a wing on plays a lot as of late. Wonder if there is a chance CBJ would try him up there if his defense slides more next season (and I am hoping he improves of course!). Ended up with the worst +/- in the entire AHL at -27, which teammate Trevor Smith has...not a great honor for the team.

Mike Commodore - F Why, just why? Hustle is foreign word to Mike. Not a fan of his influence on the younger players either. I get he did not want to be here. Best way to get out is play hard so someone else wants you. Just a suggestion.

Theo Ruth - C- After a decent start to the season being paired with John Moore he seemed to stall in his progress. Does not have great speed.

Cody Goloubef - D Started the season with OK games. Was scratched for a period of time due to too many d-men here. Once he was back in the lineup he had lost his confidence. He looks lost on most plays. Has a tendency to stand around the goal and not make a play. Hopefully he puts this season behind him and comes back with confidence.

Brent Regner - C Good 3rd pairing d-man. Better 3rd line winger. When the Falcons had too many d-men Regner was put on wing and his offensive abilites came out.

Anton Blomqvist - B Only played a few games, but has good speed for such a big man. Needs work on checking and fighting if he wants to fight. I think work on those and he could be a good shut down d-man in the AHL next season.

Goaltenders...

Paul Dainton - B Solid most games. Likes to travel to play the puck and even has a good shot (had a SOG in Worcester haha). Weak on the 5 hole at times.

David LeNeveu - B- Average season. He played very well for a few games. Had some very weak games too. Most nights he was not going to steal a game for the Falcons. High shots were Lenny weakness.

Allen York - A- Good glove side. Needs to work on his positioning. But, he is new to the pro game, so like Dainton am willing to give him time to adjust. Good guy off ice too. Also very complimentary of his entire team.

Gustaf Wesslau - C- Weak glove. That glove will give me nightmares.. Him timing is also off. He is behind the play, so his movements always are too late. Might be he just is not adjusting to the North American game.

I know people will not like/agree with some of my grades. Just my opinions though and any questions and critiques are welcome.

Last edited by Hockeygirl2748: 04-12-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old
04-12-2011, 05:05 PM
JrussJacket

Thank you so much for all your good insight this year HG! I think I speak for all of us here on HF when I say We are very lucky to have you!!!

One question.....

Judging by your review, would you say that Savard and Kubalik are the top 2 players likely to make the CBJ next year in your opinion?

Also, Gustaf Wesslau, Do you think this guy can turn it around? Does he do anything good? If i remember right, the CBJ wasnt the only team interested in this guy!? He has to have some potential?

Thanks again!!!

Old
04-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Hockeygirl2748

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrussJacket View Post
Thank you so much for all your good insight this year HG! I think I speak for all of us here on HF when I say We are very lucky to have you!!!

One question.....

Judging by your review, would you say that Savard and Kubalik are the top 2 players likely to make the CBJ next year in your opinion?

Also, Gustaf Wesslau, Do you think this guy can turn it around? Does he do anything good? If i remember right, the CBJ wasnt the only team interested in this guy!? He has to have some potential?

Thanks again!!!
I would say Kubalik, Holden would be #2 for me if CBJ re-signs him (I would think they will) and Savard is #3.

I was excited to see Wesslau play this season as I had heard good things about him. Just never worked out. I don't know if it is his mechanics or maybe the transition coming a few years to late to NA. Could give him another 1 year deal, but he would need to agree to be sent down to the CHL if he doesn't perform, not just play him because he was sought after. He's not a 20/21 year old anymore.

Old
04-12-2011, 06:10 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Wesslau was also injured and missed all of training camp, that time practicing on the smaller rinks and getting used to angles and such. Looks like he really needed that time

As others have voiced, thanks for the all the updates throughout the season and looking forward to next year...maybe playoffs for the Falcons?

Old
04-12-2011, 06:59 PM
JacketsFanWest

Why did the Jackets keep Commodore around in Springfield?

Looking at Commodore's twitter feed, he apparently make alterations to Cam Atkinson's suit after Cam "chirped" him on Twitter and insulted his suit:

Poor Cam: http://twitpic.com/4izeam

# Here is @CamAtkinson13 post game....doesn't he look great!! Sick suit! http://twitpic.com/4izeam #bestinshow Saturday, April 09, 2011 7:07:51 PM via TweetCaster

# Dear @CamAtkinson13...this is what happens to your suit when u chirp a vet. http://twitpic.com/4iz0rm #welcometothejungle Saturday, April 09, 2011 6:43:56 PM via TweetCaster

http://twitter.com/commie22

Wow, what great veteran leadership.

Old
04-12-2011, 07:40 PM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
Why did the Jackets keep Commodore around in Springfield?

Looking at Commodore's twitter feed, he apparently make alterations to Cam Atkinson's suit after Cam "chirped" him on Twitter and insulted his suit:

Poor Cam: http://twitpic.com/4izeam

# Here is @CamAtkinson13 post game....doesn't he look great!! Sick suit! http://twitpic.com/4izeam #bestinshow Saturday, April 09, 2011 7:07:51 PM via TweetCaster

# Dear @CamAtkinson13...this is what happens to your suit when u chirp a vet. http://twitpic.com/4iz0rm #welcometothejungle Saturday, April 09, 2011 6:43:56 PM via TweetCaster

http://twitter.com/commie22

Wow, what great veteran leadership.
All this has-been did to earn his salary was to go on twitter and regularly bash the city. Springfield is no paradise by any means but there is no justification for what this player did. Guess he just didn't feel like playing to earn his paycheck. Worthless piece of crap.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:17 PM
Hockeygirl2748

I think it was more making Commie suffer by having to practice and not being allowed to play. They know he was miserable so he suffered. He will most likely be gone this summer is what I have been told.

Old
04-13-2011, 07:38 AM
Juneemoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl2748 View Post
I think it was more making Commie suffer by having to practice and not being allowed to play. They know he was miserable so he suffered. He will most likely be gone this summer is what I have been told.
I'd say that's a big 10-4....

Quote:
commie22 Mike Commodore
@ @dustin642 next up is packing and moving out of cbus.
10 Apr

Old
04-14-2011, 09:33 AM
georgec5614

Quote:
First up the fowards...

Cam Atkinson - A Impressive in the few games he played for the Falcons. He had good speed and always is going hard to the goal.

Trevor Firschmon - A The true captain and leader of the team. Plays will all heart. Created most of the Falcons SH oppurtunities this season. And leader of the PK unit.

Nick Tarnasky - C+ Worked well on the Frischmon-Goertzen line. Hard working and decent speed for a checker. His fighting ability is not nearly as good as Falcons fans want to believe. He lost most of his fights this season and was overmatched a lot.

David Savard - B+ The biggest suprise of the season for me. I was not overly impressed by Savard when the season began. He worked hard and lost some weight which really helped his game overall. He loves to shoot from the circle and most of the his goals will come from that area. He has improved his defensive game as well. He is rarely caught out of position.

Anton Blomqvist - B Only played a few games, but has good speed for such a big man. Needs work on checking and fighting if he wants to fight. I think work on those and he could be a good shut down d-man in the AHL next season.

Goaltenders...

I know people will not like/agree with some of my grades. Just my opinions though and any questions and critiques are welcome.
It will be interesting to see what the team looks like next October.
With the new schedule format they will have more rest and practice time so we may see some better development.

You pretty much summed it up nicely as far as the players are concerned so I will just a couple of comments.

Cam Atkinson: It would be nice to see him start in Springfield next year, but if he has a good camp he may be able to stay with the Jackets. Very quick skater, and has a nose for the net.

Trevor Frischmon: He was my favorite player all season long. He always gave everything he had every time he was on the ice. There were games where it seemed like he was the only one that showed up to play.

Nick Tarnasky: You are so right about his fighting ability He was willing to go with anyone, he just can't fight on skates. He always loses his balance when he throws a punch.

David Savard: The one thing that stood out to me, especially later in the season, is he always gets his shot through to the net! I can't remember the last time I noticed one of his shots being blocked. That is a very good attribute to have especially on the power play.

Anton Blomqvist: One other thing he needs to work on is his puck moving. He handles the puck like it's a live grenade when he gets it on his stick in the defensive zone, he can't wait to get rid of it. I am hoping a few more games will help him to relax when he has the puck, and make better decisions.

I think York could turn out to be the best of the goaltenders. Leneveu had some good games, but there also games where he looked very average. Both Wesslau and Leneveu ended the season with a save percentage below .900. Some of that is on the defense but not all, and they need to be better than that if the Falcons want to win.

Like you these are just my opinions.

Old
04-14-2011, 06:44 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Thanks for all the good work throughout the season Springfield fans. Look forward to your insight, and reports again next season.

Old
04-15-2011, 03:18 PM
blahblah

Quote:
-- The Dispatch has learned that Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson and assistant GM Chris MacFarland had a 2 1/2 hour meeting with management in Springfield, Mass., home of the AHL affiliate. Among the topics discussed was the need for a "defenseman" coach, somebody who can guide the young prospects toward an NHL career. They did not have such a coach this season, which may have been a mistake. Further, the Falcons asked for more assurances that the Blue Jackets would provide them with the talent to at least be an AHL playoff club. They were stung early this season when Derek MacKenzie and Kyle Wilson -- both high-end AHL scorers -- made the big club..
The first part is consistent with that we've been hearing.

The bolded part? /sigh

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2011/04/rook_more.shtml

Old
04-15-2011, 03:54 PM
Hockeygirl2748

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

The bolded part? /sigh

Why a sigh? Springfield just wants to be competitive. The AHL is for development, but it is also about winning. I have a feeling you may be making a comparison to the Syracuse fans/media about them complaining about Columbus not providing good enough players. Some Springy fans might complain, but they always do about 95% of things. I don't think Columbus is out to stiff us in Springy, so please don't take it that way. Would it have been nice to have Wilson all season, of course. But, good for him for making it up there for awhile. Every team wants to win and it's pretty normal for the NHL/AHL team brass to meet end of the season. It's a recap, just like the players/coaches do the exit interviews.

If I am taking it incorrectly, i'm sorry.

Old
04-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

The bolded part? /sigh

What's wrong with wanting to improve?

Considering they kept this quiet (Sewercuse's owner issued a statement saying that promises were broken. What a doofus.), no need to worry about Springfield turning into a toxic situation like Sewercuse became at the end.

04-15-2011, 05:36 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Can't AHL teams sign some of their own players?

Old
04-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Hockeygirl2748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Not Springfield. We have given up that right with our past few parent clubs. All players have to be parent club approved. Bruce Landon makes suggestions and the decision is with C-bus.

Old
04-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Hockeygirl2748

Did anyone on the board end up buying one of the Falcons home jerseys on eBay today? I was suprised by some of the prices, quite low on some very good players and high on a not so good player. haha

Old
05-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Hockeygirl2748

The Falcons away jerseys are up for bid on eBay now in case anyone is interested.

http://shop.ebay.com/springfieldfalc..._from=&_ipg=25

I believe all the jerseys start at $250 and some have mutiple bids already.

Old
05-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
The Falcons away jerseys are up for bid on eBay now in case anyone is interested.

http://shop.ebay.com/springfieldfalc..._from=&_ipg=25

I believe all the jerseys start at $250 and some have mutiple bids already.
The Savard one is just so tempting to buy...someone on here buy it! Man are they nice.

Old
07-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Xoggz22

I mentioned this in the Aaron Johnson thread and thought why not bump this one for some discussion - especially with out Springfield/AHL knowledgeable fans....

I'm not going to try to look at the forwards but with the signing of Holden and Johnson to two way deals it seems like we'll have a potential significant excess on the back end again. To my knowledge we have not signed a defensive minded assistant coach for Springfield yet either. I am not a fan of last year's revolving door on the back end and feel like our prospects should really have a chance to take a big step forward this year. Here's what I'm seeing and wondering where they all fit:

Holden
Johnson
Savard
Moore
Goloubef
Ruth
Blomqvist
Regner
Delisle
Prout

Clearly one of them will end up as a 5-7 on the big club but that's 9 players for 6 spots and all need significant development. Another thing to consider is that next year we add another big chunk of players:

Weber
Archibald
Madaisky
Olson (possibly although I don't think he gets a contract offer)

That's a pretty good amount of prospect depth and several players with NHL aspirations and potential.

I'd like to see Savard, Moore, Goulobef, Ruth, Blomqvist and Regner get a lot of time with Prout and Delisle spending time at the ECHL or CHL level to further learn. Lot's of prospects and not enough ice time for everyone. Let's hope we see a major step forward this year from some of these guys.

Old
07-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
It depends on the affiliation agreement. It's an issue with the minor leagues being used as a farm system; the AHL team wants to win and pack the seats, the NHL team (who signs the checks) wants their players to develop. Of course, I also regard the structure that sees doctors paid directly by the team as a conflict of interest, so take that for what it's worth.

The recent moves toward direct ownership of the AHL team may make for an interesting landscape shift in the future.

Quote:
Not Springfield. We have given up that right with our past few parent clubs. All players have to be parent club approved. Bruce Landon makes suggestions and the decision is with C-bus.
I think there's been a good working relationship with Springfield and Columbus thus far. Landon is very respected in the world of hockey for both his hockey and business acumen.

Old
07-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Hockeygirl2748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
I mentioned this in the Aaron Johnson thread and thought why not bump this one for some discussion - especially with out Springfield/AHL knowledgeable fans....

I'm not going to try to look at the forwards but with the signing of Holden and Johnson to two way deals it seems like we'll have a potential significant excess on the back end again. To my knowledge we have not signed a defensive minded assistant coach for Springfield yet either. I am not a fan of last year's revolving door on the back end and feel like our prospects should really have a chance to take a big step forward this year. Here's what I'm seeing and wondering where they all fit:

Holden
Johnson
Savard
Moore
Goloubef
Ruth
Blomqvist
Regner
Delisle
Prout

Clearly one of them will end up as a 5-7 on the big club but that's 9 players for 6 spots and all need significant development. Another thing to consider is that next year we add another big chunk of players:

Weber
Archibald
Madaisky
Olson (possibly although I don't think he gets a contract offer)

That's a pretty good amount of prospect depth and several players with NHL aspirations and potential.

I'd like to see Savard, Moore, Goulobef, Ruth, Blomqvist and Regner get a lot of time with Prout and Delisle spending time at the ECHL or CHL level to further learn. Lot's of prospects and not enough ice time for everyone. Let's hope we see a major step forward this year from some of these guys.
I think Columbus needs to find an ECHL team instead of a CHL team this season. The CHL is not where prospects should be playing IMO. Nothing against CHL hockey, but it's not known for growing prospects. I know there are significantly less ECHL teams than AHL/NHL. A shared affiliate can work.

I think Delisle, Regner and possibly Goloubef spend time in the ECHL/CHL if they have not improved from last season. But it could easily be Ruth instead of Goloubef sent down. He had a season of highs and very low lows.

Also, I think Johnson has a decent shot at making the Jackets as the 5-7 d-man. Most fans have been assuming he will be here in Springfield, but I don't think that is the case. Of course, i'm more than willing to take him here of course.

I have been impressed by the signings by the Jackets.

Sanford in net looks to be a great move. He will be the #1 but also mentor Allen York. Also is a decent NHL backup.

Alex Giroux, if his head and ego are in check is a beast. Even when they are not, he's very very good.

Martin St. Pierre I have not seen play the past few season when he has been in the Western Conference and Europe, but hopefully he still has the moves and energy he did in Providence and Norfolk.

Andrew Joudrey, good 3rd line guy. Knows what it takes to win through his time in Hershey winning 2 Calder Cups.

Nicholas Drazenovic looks like he should fit well on the 2nd line, although with the new players and returning prospects, he could be bumped to 3rd line easy.

I have not seen a parent club put this much into signing players for at least the past 10 seasons. Hopefully it comes together for a great season.

Old
07-06-2011, 06:38 PM
JacketsFanWest

I could see the Jackets trying to thin the herd of defensemen a little. It's great to have depth, but they might as well trade for other assets.

But that all depends on how new guys like Blomqvist and Prout are projecting and how many of next year's class are going to get signed.
If Blomqvist, Prout and Weber look like they're promising, then trading Ruth or Goloubef might be an option.

It didn't sound like last year the CHL affiliate worked out. Didn't that Chris Francis (who was sent down after having a stellar jr career playing for the Portland Winterhawks) completely bolt after not getting any playing time and go play for Vegas' ECHL team? Looking at the Fort Wayne Comets leading scorers for last season, most of the top 20 are at least 25 and a lot are in their 30s and even one guy is 40. Oh, and they also had Jon Mirasty. I didn't realize that.

The Jackets had the Youngstown Steelhounds in the CHL a few years ago as their ECHL-type affiliate, and that worked out okay with the Jackets players getting ice time. I saw one of their games when I happened to be in Texas while they were on a road trip, and the level of play was pretty much ECHL level.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:24 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=585605

Jackets add Nolan Pratt as an assistant coach for Springfield

Old
08-02-2011, 11:08 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=585605

Jackets add Nolan Pratt as an assistant coach for Springfield
Doesn't appear to have any coaching experience, but he certainly has a lot of playing time in a variety of places. Good luck, Nolan, and welcome to the organization!

Closed Thread