HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs -Round 1- (5) Nashville Predators 4 vs (4) Anaheim Ducks 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bburton86 View Post
Some schmuck called into the Plaster show this afternoon and was pretty much saying that Ellis was going to play with a chip on his shoulder and that was going to be the reason why the Preds weren't going to win. lulz
I wouldn't call him a schmuck for predicting that a goalie who was tossed away by one team would play well against them in the playoffs. Chris Mason always seems to play well against us.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Some schmuck called into the Plaster show this afternoon and was pretty much saying that Ellis was going to play with a chip on his shoulder and that was going to be the reason why the Preds weren't going to win. lulz
I haven't been a die-hard for too long, but I do play goalie in both high school and travel right now, so this is something i know about. When a goalie plays against his former team, one of two things happens. The most common (at least at my level) is the goalie tries too hard and get out of position, letting in weak goals. At every other position it is good to work hard, but goaltending relies so much on precision and control that a goalie whose emotions are out of whack is not in a good position Every once in awhile a goalie will harness his emotions and use them to play out of his mind, but most of the time it can backfire very easily. I think the "coming home" factor will hurt Ellis as much as it'll help him.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:39 PM
jlsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
paint, lol, i can only cut and paste.....it's why i don't do those graphic things

i know you have a lot more hockey knowledge than I do. that's why i like reading what you write.
<blush>

Quote:
so, would you put him in the line up on wed? and with who?
can we afford to "protect " him and his minutes from a physical anaheim team?

I am interested in anything that helps me understand more.

(frankly, when he was out there on the pp earlier in the year, i sometimes would shut my eyes and go "please sully get off the ice.")
nothing against sully.....i just think he's past his prime.

thanks ..
All depends on his health. Between the facial fracture, groin, sports hernia whatever it's hard to play this game in pain. The groin has been bothering him for quite a while. If he is 100% then I would put him on 4th line, shifting him on occasion to a higher line to give other guys an extra shift off. I would also use him on the PK and maybe some on the PP. Again, this is based entirely on how healthy he is. At this point I would sit either Wilson or Geoffrion and Dumont. Halischuk-Spaling-Sully would make for a fast pesky 4th line. Depending on his play, you can bring back 33 or 5 the next game.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:44 PM
jlsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
I haven't been a die-hard for too long, but I do play goalie in both high school and travel right now, so this is something i know about. When a goalie plays against his former team, one of two things happens. The most common (at least at my level) is the goalie tries too hard and get out of position, letting in weak goals. At every other position it is good to work hard, but goaltending relies so much on precision and control that a goalie whose emotions are out of whack is not in a good position Every once in awhile a goalie will harness his emotions and use them to play out of his mind, but most of the time it can backfire very easily. I think the "coming home" factor will hurt Ellis as much as it'll help him.
Agreed. Ellis still has the rebound problem and don't think for a moment the Preds don't remember that. I have a feeling you'll see them like vultures around the net with shots coming in from everywhere. Expect guys like SK, Ward and Hornquist to be very successful in this series.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I wouldn't call him a schmuck for predicting that a goalie who was tossed away by one team would play well against them in the playoffs. Chris Mason always seems to play well against us.
playing well =/= being the reason they win the series. plus, he never showed up for any big games for us.

and

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post

this.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:55 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Unfortunately they usually don't list the games and which channels until gameday. Sometimes it shows up in the morning of game day, but a couple of times it was like 6:00 p.m. before the schedule popped up. Technically they advertise 1st and 2nd round games, but Versus gets first crack and by the second round unless there is a goofy schedule were there are multiple games at the same time slot, Versus will carry all second round games. No extra charge for playoffs, although some cable "customer service" people think that CI coverage ends with the regular season if you have to call in with a problem. There are no dual feeds (usually) so you never know for sure which broadcast you get until you turn on the game.

So, the games will be on, but they do a crappy job of making it easy to know in advance which channels it will show up on.
Good to know. I just called Brighthouse here in Florida and they have no listing of the game at all and said CI is done for the season. They said the game is on TSN but they don't have access to that game via their programming. I guess I'll have to hope it's on CI tomorrow night. Sucks that I won't know until I get home tomorrow evening which will be close to game time. I hate not knowing. If it's not on I sure hope there are streams going on so I can catch the action so anyone with that info tomorrow would be greatly appreciated in case of an emergency situation.

I can't believe I go thru the entire season of watching games to not be able to see or know where a playoff game is going to be on TV. You think with all this technology it would be better by now. Love the uncertainty.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:18 PM
CloakroomCrusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Good to know. I just called Brighthouse here in Florida and they have no listing of the game at all and said CI is done for the season. They said the game is on TSN but they don't have access to that game via their programming. I guess I'll have to hope it's on CI tomorrow night. Sucks that I won't know until I get home tomorrow evening which will be close to game time. I hate not knowing. If it's not on I sure hope there are streams going on so I can catch the action so anyone with that info tomorrow would be greatly appreciated in case of an emergency situation.

I can't believe I go thru the entire season of watching games to not be able to see or know where a playoff game is going to be on TV. You think with all this technology it would be better by now. Love the uncertainty.
Time Warner up here in Columbus is the same way. Every channel has switched over to being labeled MLB Extra Innings. If nothing changes by tomorrow angry phone calls will commence.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:28 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by predeuce777 View Post
Time Warner up here in Columbus is the same way. Every channel has switched over to being labeled MLB Extra Innings. If nothing changes by tomorrow angry phone calls will commence.
So basically the people they have answering the phones here are clueless idiots....lol. They were like, all the games are national broadcasts which is not true.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:37 PM
markie8002000

Keith Jones Preds to make Cup Final and Roenicks thoughts.... http://twitpic.com/4k5qwg

Old
04-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie8002000 View Post
Keith Jones Preds to make Cup Final and Roenicks thoughts.... http://twitpic.com/4k5qwg
Ouch, I might be offended if Roenick wasn't a idiot.

Last edited by BigFatCat999: 04-13-2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Removing a word that has recently been banned
Old
04-12-2011, 10:54 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I don't think we're going to make the conference finals let alone the cup finals, but **** Jeremy Roenick anyway

Old
04-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
So basically the people they have answering the phones here are clueless idiots....lol. They were like, all the games are national broadcasts which is not true.
This just showed up tonight. Nash/Ana with Nashville feed on Game Channel #11

Center Ice Wed/Thur Schedule

Old
04-12-2011, 11:11 PM
CloakroomCrusader

Quote:
Yeah I really don't expect them to know a thing... just like pretty much any CSR. Such is life...

Old
04-12-2011, 11:45 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
playing well =/= being the reason they win the series. plus, he never showed up for any big games for us.
He had a .938 save percentage for us in the playoffs in 08. I think that qualifies as showing up. However I will say that he did have some weak games after that, no doubt.

Old
04-12-2011, 11:52 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

So it looks like I'm gonna have to miss tomorrow's game. Does anyone know if I can find a replay of the game online or something? (I don't have cable or DVR)

Old
04-13-2011, 12:13 AM
predfan24

Quote:
He had a .938 save percentage for us in the playoffs in 08. I think that qualifies as showing up. However I will say that he did have some weak games after that, no doubt.

He was a beast down the stretch and especially in the Wings series in 08. He was the main reason we had a chance to steal that series. He hasn't played near that level since though and let's be honest we gave him several chances to take the starter job after those playoffs and he couldn't do it. He was awful for TB and was traded for McBackup. He has been good for Anaheim but it's a small sample size(13 games). We've seen him go into beast mode before so it's not impossible but honestly out of all teams in the west besides perhaps Jimmy Howard there isn't a goalie I'd want to face more.

Old
04-13-2011, 12:16 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
Agreed. Ellis still has the rebound problem and don't think for a moment the Preds don't remember that. I have a feeling you'll see them like vultures around the net with shots coming in from everywhere. Expect guys like SK, Ward and Hornquist to be very successful in this series.
If there was ever a goalie that Korn will have the boys ready for it's Dan.
Quote:
I don't care if you stop 99% of the shots if you don't stop that Lidstrom shot then.......

Old
04-13-2011, 12:39 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post

I don't care if you stop 99% of the shots if you don't stop that Lidstrom shot then.......
I think I'd take our goalie stopping 99% of shots. No matter what the other one percent is.

Old
04-13-2011, 12:58 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
I think I'd take our goalie stopping 99% of shots. No matter what the other one percent is.
"Our" goalie(if you're referring the Rinne) isn't the one I meant.

Point is, a game/series stealing goalie stops all of the questionable/outside shots and ONLY lets in the really tough shots that everyone pins on some other player.

Pekka frickin Rinne is that goalie.....
Dan rebound Ellis....ahem....is

and

the PREDATORS can and will score on him!

Old
04-13-2011, 04:17 AM
JussiM

Ducks, eh. Initially, not my favorite matchup at all but now with some time to think about it, it's not the worst possible opponent. Besides, no West team is a pushover. And if you're going to make it all the way, you need to win each and everyone the fate throws at you.

Their first line is certainly scary good but like some have already said, the key to this series might be how the 3rd and 4th lines fair. And damn all those Finns on Ducks! Don't tell anyone but I've not always been the biggest fan of Selänne. He had his Cup already, better luck next year.

One more positive thing on the series: tomorrow's game starts at 5:30 A.M., not too bad really. But the Preds' home games start at 1:00 and 3:30, if I'm not mistaken. All-nighter is rarely a good idea and couple of hours of sleep isn't that much better either. Stanley Cup playoffs, gotta love it.

Edit: forgot to mention that last year we got to enjoy (mostly) good quality streams. Hopefully this year's the same.

Last edited by JussiM: 04-13-2011 at 04:23 AM.
Old
04-13-2011, 08:39 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
If there was ever a goalie that Korn will have the boys ready for it's Dan....
+1
Korn has the advantage of having coached Dan for at least (if not more than) a year. PLus they will study more recent tape of him. Mitch (and the players who practiced against him) are going to be aware of his weaknesses. This should give the Preds a definite advantage. Now I know there is a book on Pekka now after two years. But his weaknesses are not as glaring IMHO, plus I give the edge to Nashville on the D pairings and having played with Pekka this long lots of familiarity with what he is gonna do in situations.

Key will be-- will not having last change significantly hurt Nashville in the first two games? Everyone knows Carlyle (sp?) is a matchup coach and he will use that advantage mercilessly. All forwards MUST pick up their man if they get caught in a bad matchup with first line or Teemu. I really think this could be THE most interesting first round matchup in the league.

Old
04-13-2011, 10:38 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
Computer picks Preds to be in conference finals...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...pid=nhl-rxl-fb
Nice to see Big Blue is on our side....

And much like Big Blue, the Preds have problems with Russians too....

Old
04-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Nice to see Big Blue is on our side....

And much like Big Blue, the Preds have problems with Russians too....
Belarus, fortunately, appears to be just fine.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
04-13-2011, 11:12 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie8002000 View Post
That is kind of a funny picture.

Old
04-13-2011, 11:22 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
I keep having to remind myself that Ellis was a pred for three seasons. Should be plenty of familiarity there.

Closed Thread