HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Could this possibly be the best habs line in the recent years?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-12-2011, 10:44 PM
  #1
Emanresu Wen
Registered User
 
Emanresu Wen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,056
vCash: 500
Could this possibly be the best habs line in the recent years?

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gionta

Gionta and DD showed some chemistry the few rare times they were paired together.

Maximus and DD were probably the best duo in the AHL in recent memory

DD has great vision, precise passes

Max is the big body here

Gionta shoots like if he was a tennis practice machine



I think we have the ingredients for an incredible line

Emanresu Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:46 PM
  #2
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,113
vCash: 500
Call me crazy, but I felt more confident with the 07-08 version of the team. It was just a pure offensive team that could score goals. This team I feel as though, 1 or 2 quick goals and it's game over. Otherwise Price has to save the day. I know during the reg. season we've had our comeback moments, but in the playoffs that'll be difficult.

EDIT: oops totally misread your post, thought you meant "the best line-up". My bad.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:47 PM
  #3
Rgolt
Registered User
 
Rgolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: montreal, qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,380
vCash: 500
Replace Gio with Kristo
and hopefully u have a great line in 2-3 years.
but right now that line doesnt make sense (especially with Patches out) and Pleks and Gomez as our 1 and 2

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:59 PM
  #4
TheBuriedHab
Registered User
 
TheBuriedHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,181
vCash: 500
I hope DD is not our number 2 center. No offense to the guy, but if hes your number 2 you got problems.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:00 PM
  #5
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanresu Wen View Post
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gionta

Gionta and DD showed some chemistry the few rare times they were paired together.

Maximus and DD were probably the best duo in the AHL in recent memory

DD has great vision, precise passes

Max is the big body here

Gionta shoots like if he was a tennis practice machine



I think we have the ingredients for an incredible line
Style-wise yes, talent-wise... remains to be seen. I think DD has a shot at becoming a very dangerous 3rd line center one day. But why rush him? Patches needs to put on some muscle and get some more balance in those legs, which he has been doing. He's playing the right style, so I'm very confident he's gonna resume his top 6 progress. Gionta is a great second line weapon... especially if we get a mismatch with a left D who ain't defensively sound or can't skate.

To me only Patches has a shot at being a top line guy in that group. Gonna hurt to not have him in the lineup. He was coming along. But I give him a year or two and he'll be right there.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:09 PM
  #6
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,138
vCash: 500
How quickly people forget the dominance of AK 46- Pleks - AK27

__________________



"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:10 PM
  #7
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
How quickly people forget the dominance of AK 46- Pleks - AK27
You mean, two guys who have to stay onside so Kovy can deke his way to the corner?

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:11 PM
  #8
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,854
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
How quickly people forget the dominance of AK 46- Pleks - AK27
Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev


Was pretty beastly at one point too

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:12 PM
  #9
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
You mean, two guys who have to stay onside so Kovy can deke his way to the corner?
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev


Was pretty beastly at one point too
It was, but they were only tried for a few games, which was a bummer.

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:12 PM
  #10
Emanresu Wen
Registered User
 
Emanresu Wen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
How quickly people forget the dominance of AK 46- Pleks - AK27
Tanguay - Koivu - Kovalev

that was eye candy

Emanresu Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:14 PM
  #11
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,416
vCash: 500
I was a Pleky hater last year, so what do I know. I would have kept Koivu and used the Pleky money on something else (and the Hammer money).

I also would have kept both Price and Halak. And I wanted Kovalchuk too.

We'd probably be in last place if I was GM. Now we have something like 12 kids in the lineup and have a good chance to upset the Big Bad Bruins.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:15 PM
  #12
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev


Was pretty beastly at one point too
Better yet;

Laraque - Koivu - Kovalev

Carbo was a genius.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:19 PM
  #13
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Better yet;

Laraque - Koivu - Kovalev

Carbo was a genius.
Hey, if Georges had gone to hockey school that might have worked.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:19 PM
  #14
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,560
vCash: 500
Frankly that line isn't nearly as good as Cammaleri-Pleckanec-Kostitsyn, let alone the best in recent Canadiens history. Higgins-Koivu-Ryder, Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev, and the little used Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev have all been better first lines than the one you're proposing.

That line minus Desharnais and with Gomez centering it will probably be next years 2nd line, and with Gomez's bounce back season it should be a good one at that. Desharnais has quite a bit of developement to go through before he's ready for the second line, put him there now and he'll get eaten alive.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:21 PM
  #15
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Frankly that line isn't nearly as good as Cammaleri-Pleckanec-Kostitsyn, let alone the best in recent Canadiens history. Higgins-Koivu-Ryder, Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev, and the little used Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev have all been better first lines than the one you're proposing.

That line minus Desharnais and with Gomez centering it will probably be next years 2nd line, and with Gomez's bounce back season it should be a good one at that. Desharnais has quite a bit of developement to go through before he's ready for the second line, put him there now and he'll get eaten alive.
Desharnais might be first line ready if he was between Lucic and Horton though...

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:31 PM
  #16
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Desharnais might be first line ready if he was between Lucic and Horton though...
Its not about toughness or size, its about the ability to play both sides of the puck against real NHL players which is essential to play the center position on a top-two line in the modern NHL. Playing top six doesn't mean you get to play offense, it means you have to be able to counter and outplay the other teams good players. Desharnais has good offensive skills, that doesn't mean he has to play top-six to be effective. At his stage of developement the best strategic use for him is to pair him with other developing offensive players and put him on against the marginal players that make up teams 4th lines and have him develope by rampaging against them. Which is exactly what Martin does when he has a full lineup.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:46 PM
  #17
Emanresu Wen
Registered User
 
Emanresu Wen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,056
vCash: 500
I'm thinking about making a poll tomorrow about our best overall/scoring/two-way/counter line since the lockout, so far I've got :

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gionta (don't think about adding this one to the poll, didn't see them enough together)
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
Cammalleri- Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev
Tanguay - Koivu - Kovalev
Higgins - Koivu - Ryder

let's get some others

Emanresu Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:49 PM
  #18
Cookie007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
TK - Lapierre- Latendresse
TK - Smolinski - Begin

Cookie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:15 AM
  #19
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Its not about toughness or size, its about the ability to play both sides of the puck against real NHL players which is essential to play the center position on a top-two line in the modern NHL. Playing top six doesn't mean you get to play offense, it means you have to be able to counter and outplay the other teams good players. Desharnais has good offensive skills, that doesn't mean he has to play top-six to be effective. At his stage of developement the best strategic use for him is to pair him with other developing offensive players and put him on against the marginal players that make up teams 4th lines and have him develope by rampaging against them. Which is exactly what Martin does when he has a full lineup.
I agree, but I'm just saying he could probably be fine on that line right now with the team defense they have. Not to mention all the offensive zone possession they'd have. Boychuk's speed guards against the counter. You could even play a lock with the size on that line. Reminds me of Ribeiro that way. Just because he wasn't fast enough for our team concept doesn't mean he wouldn't have been dangerous on other Canadiens teams that had that size, like the 93 and late 80's teams. It's all relative. And to say he's too young might be missing that picture. Maybe.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:28 AM
  #20
snakeye
Registered User
 
snakeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Better yet;

Laraque - Koivu - Kovalev

Carbo was a genius.
Nice try, but that was Gainey's idea.

Btw Tanguay - Koivu - Kovalev worked until Tanguay got injured I think.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:29 AM
  #21
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
Nice try, but that was Gainey's idea.

Btw Tanguay - Koivu - Kovalev worked until Tanguay got injured I think.
True, true.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:52 AM
  #22
Jakomyte
Registered User
 
Jakomyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,097
vCash: 500
Dagenais-Ribeiro-Ryder


Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:54 AM
  #23
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,854
vCash: 50
Scrap-Saku-Scrap


Wasn't that our best line several years? lol

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:58 AM
  #24
Patrice Brisebois
Registered User
 
Patrice Brisebois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto/Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 551
vCash: 500
Latendresse-Lapierre-Kostopoulos

Patrice Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:59 AM
  #25
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
Nice try, but that was Gainey's idea.

Btw Tanguay - Koivu - Kovalev worked until Tanguay got injured I think.
How was Tangs or Higgins or whomever NOT going to get injured on that line? They didn't have open ice speed, nor size, so they had to cycle... ugly results...

Stop-gapping until we find a Red Wing in the late rounds (Zettersyukstrom).

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.