HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help a student by telling stories of "goonery" in non-professional hockey

Old
04-11-2011, 01:17 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

vCash: 500
Help a student by telling stories of "goonery" in non-professional hockey

I have to write an enterprise story for a journalism class I'm taking, and I chose to write it on violence in non-professional hockey. I have some examples that many people have seen online recently, like the Texas State Championships and the incident in Quebec. I'm mostly looking for a player who's specific role was to do the coach's dirty work so that I can have an insider perspective, but anybody with any story to tell would be helpful as well.

Also, any coach that that has employed a "goon" or has an opinion on the matter would be a great addition as well.

Last edited by 1Knee1T: 04-11-2011 at 02:03 PM.
1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Gman094

Send a message via AIM to Gman094
I think you're going to be tough to find someone who calls themselves a "goon" in a non-professional league. You might get people who are more physical then others but not straight up goons.

Gman094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:04 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman094 View Post
I think you're going to be tough to find someone who calls themselves a "goon" in a non-professional league. You might get people who are more physical then others but not straight up goons.
I'm not labeling anybody a goon, but we all know what a "goonish" act in hockey is, and those are the stories I'm looking for.

It would be naive to say it doesn't exist. My high school team had a player who was specifically kept on the team to throw big hits, slash players behind the play, and do whatever dirty work the coach asked of him, but he regrets what he did and doesn't want to be involved in the story. That's completely understandable to me and I won't mention him at all.

Old
04-11-2011, 08:55 PM
BrentZ10

I was playing for a pretty elite select team, think sponsors and everything. They even had a cutout poster board of our coach. Anyways, before the tournament got underway we were out at practice just having a good time, trying to stay loose. Someone even brought a beach volleyball out there, so as you can probably guess we were just having a good time in order to get loose for the tournament. All of a sudden, our big rival in the tournament came out and claimed that it was their ice time. Someone even popped our ball.

Anyways, our coach, the one who had the cutout of him, challenged the other teams coach to one on one. This was pretty big because they both had been in the minors before their careers were cut short. So they are going at it and its a real close game. All of a sudden, the other coach, whose nickname when he played was The Doctor or the Dentist or something, slashes our coach! Things got pretty nuts. Luckily someone caught it on video.

Anyways, that is probably the best example I can think of.

BrentZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:26 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Thanks, Conway.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:15 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TullyNYR View Post
Thanks, Conway.
I really hope you use BrentZ10's story.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 08:18 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

This reminds me of a story I heard from a guy in my beer league. He used to play in juniors back in the 80s for a pretty good team, probably could have had a future in the game if he was a little tougher. Anyway, there was one guy in his league who pounded on him every chance he got, every time they played. Finally in the playoffs they actually got in a stick fight of all things, and ended up in a pretty bloody brawl. He said the coaches were in on the whole thing, this was juniors in the 80s where you could get away with all kinds of crap that would land you in jail today.

It's kind of a shame that happened really, I wonder how it would have turned out for him if he wasn't always getting roughed up. Last I heard he was working a regular 9-to-5 for the state government.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 09:01 AM
bruinsden
PRO/BOS Bruins!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentZ10 View Post
I was playing for a pretty elite select team, think sponsors and everything. They even had a cutout poster board of our coach. Anyways, before the tournament got underway we were out at practice just having a good time, trying to stay loose. Someone even brought a beach volleyball out there, so as you can probably guess we were just having a good time in order to get loose for the tournament. All of a sudden, our big rival in the tournament came out and claimed that it was their ice time. Someone even popped our ball.

Anyways, our coach, the one who had the cutout of him, challenged the other teams coach to one on one. This was pretty big because they both had been in the minors before their careers were cut short. So they are going at it and its a real close game. All of a sudden, the other coach, whose nickname when he played was The Doctor or the Dentist or something, slashes our coach! Things got pretty nuts. Luckily someone caught it on video.

You win.

bruinsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Fleuryoutside29

Quote:

They should make that into a movie or something...

Fleuryoutside29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:55 PM
ponder

Quote:

No way, I was on this team too! I was actually partying with coach's brother the other weekend, man, that guy has gone completely nuts, his nose redefines the word "vacuum." Like his brother, though, he's all about winning.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:28 PM
mfd1068

I'll tell you a goon story when I was young in the all Ontario playdowns . We were playing a hated rival town(this was AAA hockey)at there rink. We are up 3-2 with about 50 seconds to go. I'm in the box for fighting(yes a different era..lol). Now the box has me, the time keeper(he's in his 50's) and the other player,all in a row,no glass separating us. So,they drop the puck and the homer time keeper does not start the clock! My coach see's this and is screaming at the referee to no avail. He then yells at me to get him(time Keeper) to start the clock. So I tell him to start the clock and he is looking straight ahead ignoring me. So, (the Goon part..lol) I just pound him,knock him of his stool and try to start the clock. Meanwhile, the other player(the real goon!) jumps me and we star going at it in the penalty box...lol with me still trying to start the clock! It was chaos as you could imagine....lol ( and we did win!)
Later, that week the coach and I had to explain our actions and our love for hockey to the league commish. I got a couple games and the coach got 4...lol

mfd1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:13 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfd1068 View Post
I'll tell you a goon story when I was young in the all Ontario playdowns . We were playing a hated rival town(this was AAA hockey)at there rink. We are up 3-2 with about 50 seconds to go. I'm in the box for fighting(yes a different era..lol). Now the box has me, the time keeper(he's in his 50's) and the other player,all in a row,no glass separating us. So,they drop the puck and the homer time keeper does not start the clock! My coach see's this and is screaming at the referee to no avail. He then yells at me to get him(time Keeper) to start the clock. So I tell him to start the clock and he is looking straight ahead ignoring me. So, (the Goon part..lol) I just pound him,knock him of his stool and try to start the clock. Meanwhile, the other player(the real goon!) jumps me and we star going at it in the penalty box...lol with me still trying to start the clock! It was chaos as you could imagine....lol ( and we did win!)
Later, that week the coach and I had to explain our actions and our love for hockey to the league commish. I got a couple games and the coach got 4...lol
that's an awesomne story, kinda like a scene from Slapshot...

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:24 AM
MeltingPlastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
This reminds me of a story I heard from a guy in my beer league. He used to play in juniors back in the 80s for a pretty good team, probably could have had a future in the game if he was a little tougher. Anyway, there was one guy in his league who pounded on him every chance he got, every time they played. Finally in the playoffs they actually got in a stick fight of all things, and ended up in a pretty bloody brawl. He said the coaches were in on the whole thing, this was juniors in the 80s where you could get away with all kinds of crap that would land you in jail today.

It's kind of a shame that happened really, I wonder how it would have turned out for him if he wasn't always getting roughed up. Last I heard he was working a regular 9-to-5 for the state government.
Since no ones called it out... whats up Rob Lowe

MeltingPlastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 07:45 PM
ssgjeff7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltingPlastic View Post
Since no ones called it out... whats up Rob Lowe
Ya think he had "tea with Ms McGill"?

ssgjeff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Wooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post

Balancing the budget is hard work.

RIP Dancing Teammate

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote