HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 1: Detroit vs. Phoenix

View Poll Results: Who wins and in how many games?
Detroit in 4 8 5.80%
Detroit in 5 27 19.57%
Detroit in 6 72 52.17%
Detroit in 7 15 10.87%
Phoenix in 4 1 0.72%
Phoneix in 5 1 0.72%
Phoenix in 6 8 5.80%
Phoenix in 7 6 4.35%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Yemack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Teams aren't usually this banged up heading into the playoffs. After two or three rounds, yeah, they get banged up. But when you start banged up and put the playoff pounding on top of it, that's tough to overcome.
actually I can easily imagine (and assume) that alot of players are hurt this time around. Especially the teams who made a mad dash to make playoff

One of the reason Wings kinda gave up last few of this season was because Wings didnt want to limp into playoff like last season.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:13 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemack View Post
actually I can easily imagine (and assume) that alot of players are hurt this time around. Especially the teams who made a mad dash to make playoff

One of the reason Wings kinda gave up last few of this season was because Wings didnt want to limp into playoff like last season.
The Coyotes will get their injured players back, but are they 100%?

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
The Coyotes will get their injured players back, but are they 100%?
I dont think even Red Wings scouts know that for certain

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:33 PM
14ari13

I saw this thread on the main board "Rank the West starting goaltenders from 1-8".
Seems like Howard is around 7th place.

Old
04-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Osgood As It Gets
The Underdog

Seems about right :

1. Rinne
2. Luongo
3. Hiller / Ellis
4. Bryzgalov
5. Quick
6. Niemi
7. Howard
8. Crawford

Osgood As It Gets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzening Frank View Post
Seems about right :

1. Rinne
2. Luongo
3. Hiller / Ellis
4. Bryzgalov
5. Quick
6. Niemi
7. Howard
8. Crawford
Dan Ellis is the 3rd best goalie in the Western Conference?

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 02:35 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzening Frank View Post
Seems about right :

1. Rinne
2. Luongo
3. Hiller / Ellis
4. Bryzgalov
5. Quick
6. Niemi
7. Howard
8. Crawford
The sour truth is that Howard is probably the worst goalie in that lot. Except for Ellis. I don't know WTF he's doing there. Hiller I agree with though.

If I had to look at the whole Western conference though,

Lehtonen
Kiprusoff
Backstrom

are all better than Howard. Halak probably too.

If I add Eastern conference teams,

Bobrovsky
Thomas
Fleury
Roloson
Price
Miller
Lundqvist
Ward
Brodeur
Vokoun

are definitely better. So Howard struggles to even make it in the top 20 in the league.

My argument is that he's the best starting goalie you will find at $2 million a year.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Konnan511
#Loyalty

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Wings in five. A tired, over worked Wings team took it to 7 and won on the road. This year, the team is mostly healthy minus Zata, who should be ready later on this round.

Lidstrom has more points than anyone on the Coyotes.

I just hope no one gets frustrated when we are only able to pot 1 or two goals a game seeing how this team is extremely good defensively. They only have ONE regular who is a minus compared to TEN of ours. Don't expect a whole lot of penalties being called, either. This could be like last year where the Yotes' get all their goals on the 1 or 2 PPs they get a game.

I still think we possess enough depth to win in 5, though.

Konnan511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Marky9er

I got hissed at for saying Howard would be the worst starting goalie in the west come playoffs earlier this year. I'll give Howard the benefit of the doubt and rank him even with Crawford. Crawford has a much tougher task in the first round so it should be easy pegging. Yep, a cribbage term baby!

But fanboys, fear not. I am confident that Howard is more than good enough for round 1. He doesn't have anything to prove to me against Phoenix. No doubt in my mind he will be better than last year. That means no goals within a minute of a goal for, start, or end of a period! I worry more about Bryzgalovs play than I do Howards.

Last edited by Marky9er: 04-12-2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: sleep deprivation
Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

I'd rank playoff goalies like this.

West:
1. Rinne
2. Luongo
3. Bryzgalov
Hiller
4. Quick
5. Niemi
6. Howard
7. Crawford
8. Emery/Ellis

- So Howard's 6th if Hiller's out and 7th if he plays.

East:
1. Lundqvist
2. Thomas
3. Miller
T-4. Fleury
T-4. Price
6. Roloson
7. Neuvirth
8. Bobrovsky

-Couldn't decide between Price and Fleury. Price is probably better but Fleury is playoff proven.

Big Poppa Puck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Doyle

Some pre-game reading:

http://nhlhotstove.com/the-red-wings...hats-going-on/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
This might be just be stupid on my part, but of all of the goalies in the east, Roloson scares me the most. The guy just gets dialed in at times.

04-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
This might be just be stupid on my part, but of all of the goalies in the east, Roloson scares me the most. The guy just gets dialed in at times.
A Detroit radio host was saying that the Wings should have acquired him before he was sent to Tampa, I kinda agreed.

At the time, I thought Howard was just going through a funk, but no.

Howard's main problem is rebound control, and that will not be good in the playoffs.

Oh, and Yotes in 6.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Hckytwn
FIRE HOLLAND NOW

If regular season goalie stats were that critical in predicting playoff success, then players like Miller, Thomas, Nabokov, Luongo, Lundqvist etc probably would've won a Cup by now--or even played in a Finals. (And folks like Osgood... well, yeah.)

Remember, where we all ranking Niemi, Leighton and Halak this time last year? And did it ultimately matter? Goaltending can be very unpredictable in the playoffs.

Hckytwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hckytwn View Post
If regular season goalie stats were that critical in predicting playoff success, then players like Miller, Thomas, Nabokov, Luongo, Lundqvist etc probably would've won a Cup by now--or even played in a Finals. (And folks like Osgood... well, yeah.)

Remember, where we all ranking Niemi, Leighton and Halak this time last year? And did it ultimately matter? Goaltending can be very unpredictable in the playoffs.
QFT.

The skaters matter much more than the goalie. As long as Howard isn't losing games, the Wings will be fine.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:55 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
A Detroit radio host was saying that the Wings should have acquired him before he was sent to Tampa, I kinda agreed.

At the time, I thought Howard was just going through a funk, but no.

Howard's main problem is rebound control, and that will not be good in the playoffs.

Oh, and Yotes in 6.
I also think that Holland made a huge mistake by not acquiring a backup for Howard. Osgood was injured, Howard struggled. I do not get what was Holland thinking. I am not very convinced we can go deep in these playoffs, not at all. But let's enjoy it for a little while anyway.

Old
04-12-2011, 05:03 PM
14ari13

Unfortunately I think we will have to fight Bettman's referees. Some of the posters might not like I bring it up, but I think Bettman does not want the Wings to go deep and the refs know it. I just hope the officiating won't be as terrible as vs the Sharks last season.

Last edited by sarcastro: 04-12-2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: removal of inappropriate quote
Old
04-12-2011, 05:29 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Roloson wouldn't have beaten the Wings in 06 if his defense hadn't put up a wall and if the refs hadn't given him multiple calls for his floppery in skating way out of the crease, running into Homer, and falling down comically.

Dude's not that good. He's better than what the Bolts had before, but that's not saying a whole lot.

Lundqvist, Miller, and Fleury are the guys to worry about in the East. Luckily the first two play for teams that aren't good enough to make the Finals, so that means they're not going to be the Wings' problem if the Wings can make it that far.

I think the Pens might make the Finals again this year. There aren't any complete teams in the East and at least the Pens have a tight system and know what they're doing in the playoffs. As much as I hate them, I have to say Bylsma has them tuned up and they can win no matter how many guys they're missing.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Darkhawk07

I don't know why, but both Miller and Howard seem to take quite a beating on here from fans.

Miller I really don't know why, because every game I've seen him play in he always seems to be 1 of the hardest working guys along with Abby and Helm. He doesn't produce all that much, but I havn't seen him get lazy like some of the other big named guys on the team.

As far as Howard I can agree that he is 1 of the weaker goalies in the playoffs when you look at the other guys but I don't think he's as bad as people on here make him out to be. I didn't get a chance to see a lot of the games for the first half of the year, but I've been watching the majority of them since around Jan/Feb and he's looked pretty solid to me. Rebound controll is def. something he needs to work on but he's been making some amazing saves and during the last few weeks here,
even with the rest of the team playing like crap around him I keep seeing him come up with huge saves and he's even managed to steal a few games which is very rare for wings goalies.

There hasn't been a whole lot of goals let in recently that I thought were easy goals he should have had. The majority of them have been do to the teams recent troubles with defensive/nuetral zone giveaways and/or blown coverages.

Darkhawk07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 06:47 PM
crashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhawk07 View Post
I don't know why, but both Miller and Howard seem to take quite a beating on here from fans.

Miller I really don't know why, because every game I've seen him play in he always seems to be 1 of the hardest working guys along with Abby and Helm. He doesn't produce all that much, but I havn't seen him get lazy like some of the other big named guys on the team.

As far as Howard I can agree that he is 1 of the weaker goalies in the playoffs when you look at the other guys but I don't think he's as bad as people on here make him out to be. I didn't get a chance to see a lot of the games for the first half of the year, but I've been watching the majority of them since around Jan/Feb and he's looked pretty solid to me. Rebound controll is def. something he needs to work on but he's been making some amazing saves and during the last few weeks here,
even with the rest of the team playing like crap around him I keep seeing him come up with huge saves and he's even managed to steal a few games which is very rare for wings goalies.

There hasn't been a whole lot of goals let in recently that I thought were easy goals he should have had. The majority of them have been do to the teams recent troubles with defensive/nuetral zone giveaways and/or blown coverages.
I don't think many people complain about Miller. He's had 10 goals, kills penalties and work his ass off whenever he's called upon...all for 650K.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:11 PM
redwings85
In Ozzie I trust.

By reading the article on NHL.com regarding Z... I got a feeling he's done for the playoffs... but just doesn't want to say it... wearing a knee brace is never a good sign... Coming back too early, is just calling upon further injury.

redwings85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:54 AM
Shoalzie

Red Wings in 6

The Coyotes finished in the bottom third of the league in both power play and penalty kill and almost 3rd most shots per game. If the Wings power play can still click while Zetterberg is out and the Wings depth prevails, this could be quicker than a 6-game series. The only way I see an upset is if Bryzgalov is the best player on both teams.

Both are very solid in the faceoff dot...I'd be curious to see which team wins this series and if it's the same team that gets the edge on draws and primarily, what does each team do in their own zone. I'm not big on the Phoenix's group of centers but Belanger, Hanzal and Fiddler are all better than 51.6%. They've got centers that won't score a whole lot but they do shadow the oppositions centers so if they can keep Datsyuk off the scoresheet, that'll be another big key.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwings85 View Post
By reading the article on NHL.com regarding Z... I got a feeling he's done for the playoffs... but just doesn't want to say it... wearing a knee brace is never a good sign... Coming back too early, is just calling upon further injury.
But it's not that uncommon. Rafalski wears a brace, Draper wears a brace.

I don't think anyone really knows if Z is going to play or not, but he won't be back if it will risk further injury.

Old
04-13-2011, 09:01 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
But it's not that uncommon. Rafalski wears a brace, Draper wears a brace.

I don't think anyone really knows if Z is going to play or not, but he won't be back if it will risk further injury.
Why not, even if it gets worse he will have all summer to recover, even if he completely torn his acl its 6months maximum and he wouldnt miss many games next season

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:02 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Since Z was invisible for most of the season ( ) his absence shouldn't be too much of a loss for the first round.

But seriously, the Wings can beat Phoenix without Z. I don't like making predictions but while the league is as close to parity as ever, I don't see Phoenix being better than the Wings.