HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Brad Richards news thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Nah man, he's coming to New York.

Seriously, that would probably be the greatest thing that ever happened to the Rangers if he signed here. There's about a .1% chance of that happening, though.
that sounds a little high.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
By the way, is that Eric or Jordan (Staal) that becomes a free agent next summer?

UFA or RFA?

Eric probably won't ever leave Carolina, but it would be amazing to get him here. He is one of my favorite players in the league.

Maybe Marc tries convincing him lol.
Jordan. He'll be a UFA.

However, I don't think he's the kind of guy who will be a #1 impact center. One of the best #2C's in the league though.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:37 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Yea, Jordan is not really a #1 center. I like him nonetheless. Its hard not to like any of the Staal brothers.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:53 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Richards spoke today

Quote:
“I’ll talk with my family and start figuring it out. It’s a little too early to kind of process,” Richards said Tuesday. “I have lots of time. There’s no deadline until obviously July. Lots of time to sit down and ponder what’s going to happen.”
Quote:
“There’s been a little chatter but it’s always came back to if I am going to sign and there’s no ownership, I am still kind of hesitant. And there may not be ownership by the time I have to make a decision,” said Richards, who made $7.8 million this past season. “Right now there’s no rush, there’s nothing that’s pressing me. I am going to try to see what happens. If there is no change, it doesn’t mean I am leaving. I’ll have to make a different type of decision at that time. Right now it doesn’t look like it’s going to be in place but, like I said, there’s no deadline right now, so I can sit back. I am sure I will talk with Joe here in the next day or two and get a better idea. Then we’ll wait and see.”
http://espn.go.com/blog/DallasStars/...-brad-richards

He is contradicting himself but what can he really say. Won't re-sign with the Stars if the team isn't sold and really gets a chance to see how much money the new ownership will spend on payroll and then says if the team isn't sold it doesn't mean he is leaving. The banks own the Stars. They had a $45M budget this past season which was $2M above the floor. The floor will increase by $3M next season. They have to spend to the floor which will be $1M more than they spent in 10-11.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:08 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Cap goes up by at least $3M. Brooks wrote the NHLPA told the player agents to expect about a $2.8M increase which they admitted could increase based on playoff revenue. With the Rangers and Hawks in the playoffs over Carolina and Dallas,more playoff revenue goes into the pot.

$16M gap between the upper limit and the lower limit(floor). Upper limit increases and the floor increases.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:09 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
He wants a first-line centre, someone who can skate and move the puck between wingers Phil Kessel and Joffrey Lupul. The Leafs will have plenty of space available to spend under the salary cap this summer, but they might not have many options, with Dallas Stars centre Brad Richards headlining a relatively thin class of unrestricted free agents.

“I have to wait and see what there is on July 1,” Burke said. “It may be we have to do it through a trade. We intend to be active on July 1, but we may not get our wish list on July 1. We won’t be the only team being active.”
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...-is-a-failure/

Old
04-12-2011, 10:15 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Cap goes up by at least $3M. Brooks wrote the NHLPA told the player agents to expect about a $2.8M increase which they admitted could increase based on playoff revenue. With the Rangers and Hawks in the playoffs over Carolina and Dallas,more playoff revenue goes into the pot.
Good point.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:16 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Richards hinted toward not wanting to play in Toronto.

Stupid on Richards' part because he can use Burke/Toronto to drive his price up.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:21 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Richards hinted toward not wanting to play in Toronto.

Stupid on Richards' part because he can use Burke/Toronto to drive his price up.
Richards isn't interested in driving the price up. He understands that an overly high salary will result in a cap-strapped club. He made A LOT of money on his last contract.

That's why it isn't going to matter if the Leafs present a higher offer than the Rangers. The guy wants to win, not be on a perennial bubble team, which is what the Leafs future holds.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:23 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Guy has been pulling in $7.8 mil a season for the last how many years? I'm sure the last thing on his mind is pitting potential suitors against each other to drive up his asking price on his next contract... I'm sure he's much more concerned about stability and joining an organization that's going to afford his team the best chance at competing for the cup again.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:28 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Richards isn't interested in driving the price up. He understands that an overly high salary will result in a cap-strapped club. He made A LOT of money on his last contract.

That's why it isn't going to matter if the Leafs present a higher offer than the Rangers. The guy wants to win, not be on a perennial bubble team, which is what the Leafs future holds.
I read that same thing as well.

5-6 years at $5-6mil per year would be lovely.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Nah man, he's coming to New York.

Seriously, that would probably be the greatest thing that ever happened to the Rangers if he signed here. There's about a .1% chance of that happening, though.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:31 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If we can get Richards for 6 million a year for 5-6 years that's a steal. Any less and i'm in heaven.

Old
04-12-2011, 11:06 PM
broadwayblue

I can't imagine him taking a 5 year deal for under 6M/year. And I'd be shocked if he agreed to that kind of deal.

Old
04-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Would love a 3 year deal worth 19 million. Any chance the firing of Crawford hinders a Richards decision to stay/leave.

Old
04-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Del Z baby

I'm saying that his next contract will be for 5-6 years at a 6.8-7.2 cap it.. That seems about right. I think he takes a small cap hit, but not to around 6 or lower like some people are suggesting. You have to figure into it that his agent will likely seek the most for his client, so it is unlikley that he would agree to an obvious "steal" in the view of management

Old
04-12-2011, 11:15 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredden View Post
Would love a 3 year deal worth 19 million.
You and me both. But I can't see him going less than 5 years 33.5M. That's still more than a million dollar pay cut per year.

Old
04-12-2011, 11:19 PM
Del Z baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
You and me both. But I can't see him going less than 5 years 33.5M. That's still more than a million dollar pay cut per year.
Totally agree. Not saying he will neccesarily seek the highest offer, I just think that there is an obvious level that teams will have to reach.

Old
04-13-2011, 08:57 AM
Levitate

Quote:

Yeahhhh i somehow doubt this is how it plays out. you actually rarely see guys taking paycuts of any significant amount because they "don't want to saddle a team with a big cap hit"

I'm sure Richards does want to go somewhere that gives him a chance to win another cup, but I'd also bet that he fudges that if he can get a big payday from another team

Old
04-13-2011, 09:11 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yeahhhh i somehow doubt this is how it plays out. you actually rarely see guys taking paycuts of any significant amount because they "don't want to saddle a team with a big cap hit"

I'm sure Richards does want to go somewhere that gives him a chance to win another cup, but I'd also bet that he fudges that if he can get a big payday from another team
Whatever, man. You'll see. There are players that do do that, usually they just do that for teams they are already on (like the Sedins or some of the Red Wings guys).

Going to Toronto would be an absolute nightmare for Richards. Why would he want to put himself through that endless ********? I have no doubt they'll throw a big deal at him, and he'll pass on it.

The Kings aren't going to throw the kitchen sink at him. They need goalscoring more than playmaking at this point. The Bolts would like him, but he isn't a priority and it just doesn't make sense for them.

If I was him, the only team I'd consider going to other than the Rangers is the Bruins, if Savard retires and frees up cap space. And even then, I still think the Rangers make more sense for Richards.

His next cap hit is at least $1 million per year less than it is now. Book it.

Old
04-13-2011, 09:19 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
He'll take a paycut in exchange for more years. Brad likes stability, he'll be looking for a long term contract to finish his career.

Old
04-13-2011, 09:27 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Whatever, man. You'll see. There are players that do do that, usually they just do that for teams they are already on (like the Sedins or some of the Red Wings guys).

Going to Toronto would be an absolute nightmare for Richards. Why would he want to put himself through that endless ********? I have no doubt they'll throw a big deal at him, and he'll pass on it.

The Kings aren't going to throw the kitchen sink at him. They need goalscoring more than playmaking at this point. The Bolts would like him, but he isn't a priority and it just doesn't make sense for them.

If I was him, the only team I'd consider going to other than the Rangers is the Bruins, if Savard retires and frees up cap space. And even then, I still think the Rangers make more sense for Richards.

His next cap hit is at least $1 million per year less than it is now. Book it.
Good point. I really think that Richards is at a point in his career where he wants stability. In order to secure a smaller cap hit, I really think we have to make this his last contract. $6-6.5M for 6 or 7 years should get it done. I shudder at the thought of a 7 year contract, but for Richards, I think it would work out ok. We get a good deal now, and he gets a good deal at the end of the contract.

Also, he's a playmaker, not a sniper, and playmakers tend to decline less dramatically as they leave their prime IMO.

There's also the Torts connection, along with Feds and Prospal if they're here next year. I don't think that should be underestimated.

Also, he is apparently a wine aficionado and pretty refined. What city is going to allow him to live the kind of lifestyle that NYC will?

If it's not just about the money, I feel pretty good about Slats getting it done as long as we can clear cap. If it is only about the money, we don't want him anyway. It's kind of a win-win.

Old
04-13-2011, 09:30 AM
NYR Viper

No way I give Richards a 7 year contract unless it is under 6 million/season. I'm done with these 6.5-7 million dollar cap hits for older players(Drury, Redden).

Old
04-13-2011, 09:32 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Good point. I really think that Richards is at a point in his career where he wants stability. In order to secure a smaller cap hit, I really think we have to make this his last contract. $6-6.5M for 6 or 7 years should get it done. I shudder at the thought of a 7 year contract, but for Richards, I think it would work out ok. We get a good deal now, and he gets a good deal at the end of the contract.

Also, he's a playmaker, not a sniper, and playmakers tend to decline less dramatically as they leave their prime IMO.

There's also the Torts connection, along with Feds and Prospal if they're here next year. I don't think that should be underestimated.

Also, he is apparently a wine aficionado and pretty refined. What city is going to allow him to live the kind of lifestyle that NYC will?

If it's not just about the money, I feel pretty good about Slats getting it done as long as we can clear cap. If it is only about the money, we don't want him anyway. It's kind of a win-win.
Guess we we'll pretend Drury is the exception to that rule. lol

Old
04-13-2011, 09:33 AM
Levitate

Drury was never a playmaker

He was one of those hard working two way forward guys who could do a little of everything. Never thought he had particularly good vision for playmaking.

Closed Thread