HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs-Bruins Series Discussion

View Poll Results: Series Prediction
Habs in 4 8 3.45%
Habs in 5 8 3.45%
Habs in 6 109 46.98%
Habs in 7 34 14.66%
Bruins in 4 8 3.45%
Bruins in 5 33 14.22%
Bruins in 6 28 12.07%
Bruins in 7 4 1.72%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-13-2011, 07:56 AM
Patccmoi

vCash: 500
I'm a Habs fan and lived in Boston for the last 3 years. I never had any problem. I can't say that I walk around in a Habs jersey all the time either, but at work everyone knows I'm a Habs fan and we just have a good time about it and taunt each other whenever the teams play. I've been to Habs-Bruins game at the Garden with a bunch of friends that were Bruins fans and it was all good, although I ended up going to sit with a bus of people from Montreal that was there for the game, was more fun to cheer with my own team (and it was actually the game Komisarek got hurt by Lucic and we got crushed 6-1, was not a great game to be at as a Habs fan!).

I think the only place where you could have an issue is game night around the Garden (mostly after the game when people are drunk, not really before), and in sports bar there. That's the only place where you will find a concentration of passionate Bruins fan. Rest of the time, while hockey is relatively popular here (if you compare to many other US cities), it is still not nearly as popular as any other major sport, and so you wouldn't have any problem anywhere.

And while Boston Bruins fans have a reputation in Montreal for being violent and hating us, that's just the hardcore fans and there isn't that many of them. Boston as a whole is FAR from a violent city, and you would never run into any more trouble than some occasional jeers if you're walking around in a Habs shirt in the middle of the city during the day.

My son played hockey all year with a Cammalleri jersey on here, and while some other kids were taunting him a bit about it, it was all fun, there was never anything overboard and the coach just liked it.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:00 AM
Pascal

I think Bruins in 6 just because our forwards are not that great this year and some have had consistency issues. We're also missing Markov. Plekanec needs to finally be a beast in the playoffs. Gomez has been terrible all year, can he flip a switch? Cammy has been iffy, can he? Can AK produce well in the playoffs? How will our bottom 6 do with Pouliot/Desharnais in it?

Too many question marks... Boston doesn't have much except their PP/PK.

Even with this prediction, I find it funny that each and every year the Habs get no respect in the regular season and then if they win in the playoffs it was luck.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:02 AM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avant-Gardien View Post
It's not particularly easy, I'll tell you that much. I've certainly taken my share of abuse, and have had to be careful in where and when I'm wearing anything Habs. Most Bruins fans are just fine, like most of us Habs fans - however, there is a minority of those who fail to draw the line at good-natured ribbing, and who'll turn a hockey game into an excuse for bigotry and/or violence.

Edit: I'll add on that there's a special camaraderie shared with everyone wearing the CH when in a hostile building such as the Garden - While wearing a Habs jersey is a great way to make enemies in Boston, it's also a great way to find a new group of friends the moment you walk into the building!
This is almost the best part about watching your team on the road. I usually go to Boston to watch the Habs as the travel time for me is roughly equal but the ticket price is way cheaper. I don't think I have ever paid for a beer when I was at the Garden wearing a Habs sweater.

TonyTinglebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:09 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
If the Habs play the speed game and not try and match Bostons physical style, then I would say we have a chance, but if we dont and lose the first 2 in Boston it will be over in 5.
I think in order to beat Boston the Habs have to show up with some physicality, in other words not just taking hits but handing them out also.

From listening to the media our team is full of guys 5'7" and 5'9" of Gionta and Cammy's size and their team is full of guys 6'2" of Lucic and Horton's size. Our big guys like AK, Moen, Eller, Gill, Subban, Mara, White and Darche have to play physical in the corners and drive the net.

we definitely need to use oursize and transition game to advantage as well as our superior PP, but it's not as much a big vs small matchup as the media would ahve you believe, overall our defense is bigger than theirs and their forwardsare a bit bigger but they still have a fair bit of smaller guys like Marchand(5'9" 180lbs) Krejci (5'11" 178lbs) Bergeron(190lbs) Recchi(5'10" 185lbs) Ference(5'10" 190lbs) and Kempher if he plays...

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:19 AM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
I've seen this a lot from Habs fans, that the Bruins have a divided locker room and are not a united team. Did I somehow miss something here? Other than the Paille/Ferrence "issue" -- which was actually a non issue and completely overblown -- from early in the season, I don't recall any real (or perceived) rifts in the room.

Where is this coming from?
Personally, what I worry about for Boston (well, as a Habs fan I'm happy about it, but say as a neutral fan) is not so much a locker room division (I live in Boston too and listen to sports radio a lot in the car and I can't say I ever got that feeling from what the players said), but a lack of solid leadership and winning experience.

The Bruins imo have a lack of leadership in the playoffs. They seem to have a really hard time overcoming adversity. The fact that Chara and Julien never won a game 7 in a playoff serie (while being in that situation many times) DOES have some meaning I think.

And what did the Bruins go and get as big additions to their team? Peverley (played one serie in his career, had 2 assists in 6 games, and then was traded to a team that just has a history of sucking), Horton (never played in the POs and comes from a team with a history of sucking), and Kaberle (didn't play in the POs since the lock-out, and his PPG in the POs is about half of what it is in the regular season, just getting used to being on a bottom-feeder). Are those guys that are supposed to have a big positive influence on the locker room and help you when things get tough?

The Bruins have a strong, solid hockey team. But I do not believe in their leadership. And the NHL playoffs are possibly one of the things in sports that requires the most leadership and tenacity because they're long, they're tough and every team that goes far will do so with a lot of players playing injured, etc.

The Bruins had absolutely no reason to collapse last year the way they did, Krejci injury or not. They had no reason to lose to the Canes the year before (who lost in 4 to Pittsburgh after). And I do not see any changes in their team that makes me think they will do better when facing adversity. If things go their way against the Habs early on in the serie, they very well could bowl over them (I don't expect it, but it's possible). When the team got momentum, they're a force. But they have a hell of a hard time getting momentum back when they lose it, and they're not nearly dominant enough as a team to go through 4 series without hitting a few bumps down the road. And imo their big problem starts with their lack of leadership.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:25 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 50
I'm a die hard fan but i will say boston in 6.

ClasslessGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:26 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
I am not sure if you are sarcastic.. Do you mean you agree, or disagree with what I wrote?
No sarcasm, I don't agree with what you wrote, but I'm serious about liking you, you're just a good fan

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:31 AM
marcosolodolo

There was a psychic on a local radio station just now and she made her NHL predictions and she picked Montreal over Boston.

Her other picks were,
Chicago
San Jose
Nashville
Phoenix

New York
Tampa
Buffalo

and her final pick was Buffalo to win the cup...I have gut feeling just that one is wrong

marcosolodolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:32 AM
Chuck Lefley*

If the Habs win Game One, they take the series in 5.

Otherwise, Habs in 6.

The Habs have 5 Cup winners on their roster...Boston has 2.

The Habs have 6 time Cup winner Bob Gainey as their quiet motivator...the Gomez Whisperer.

The Bruins have Cam Neely and his 0 Cups...oh I forgot...he was SeaBass in "Dumb and Dumber"

Chuck Lefley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:41 AM
Melvin Udall

Hope he is right.............I just don't see it.

Bruins in 5.

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:58 AM
bipolarhabfan

Keys for the series:

1. Price has to be good

2. Blocked shots

3. Capitalize on your limited opportunities

4. Win the special team battles

5. Limit the number of 5 on 5 goals by the Briuns

I believe the Habs will win the series in 6 because they will do most of the above

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:59 AM
gusfring

He's a fan, not a reporter.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:04 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Really? Cause he has a press pass and is in the locker room all the time, that to me doesn't sound like a fan, more like a reporter.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
I'd like to see any evidence at all that the Bruins are fragile mentally.

In 08 they were the 8th seed against the first seed, went down in the series early, bounced back, and took it to 7.

Then they outperformed their way to a top seeding, swept a certain team, and met the last gasp of the old playoff veteran Canes squad from their cup year, including the last time anyone met a healthy Cam Ward in the playoffs. IIRC they were red hot too, steamrolling into the playoffs and all the way to the 6th seeding from 12th place 3 months before. Down 3 games to 1 against a red hot, playoff veteran team, the B's fought the series even and lost on 2 bad bounces.

You'd have had a point last year if they hadn't pulled an upset in the prior series, or if they'd had more business being in the playoffs in the first place with the literal worst offense in the NHL. Or, for that matter, if the Flyers hadn't crushed a certain team, having in the end far less trouble from them than they had from the B's, and then went to the Finals to put up a fight there too.

Sorry, just not seeing this fragility.
- Worst collapse in NHL history
- Leaving a city between games 3 and 4 to get away from fans
- Two spastic goalies who can't control their emotions
- A captain who has a history of underachieving in the playoffs
- Guys like Lucic and Horton who far too often let their emotions get the better of them
- Constant complaining in the media (Marchand, Recchi, Lucic, etc)
- Can't believe you actually used the Carolina series as a sign of mental toughness... All they did was whine about a 'sucker punch' and then proceed to get eliminated by the same guy they were whining about

Yes, they are very weak mentally.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:07 AM
neofury*

The only underdog I even doubt will win in the slightest are the habs, and I still think we'll pull it off in 7.

It's going to be an upsetting year for a lot of fanbases I think. First round I predict at least 4 upsets, 3 of them in the east minimum.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:26 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Really? Cause he has a press pass and is in the locker room all the time, that to me doesn't sound like a fan, more like a reporter.
Takes more than that to be a reporter...

Old
04-13-2011, 09:32 AM
m00ks

Quote:
Takes more than that to be a reporter...
what does it take?

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:32 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
This has as much weight as Don Cherry's support for the Bruins.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Gally11

lol such little faith, you would think people would see the bruins match up as a good one, seems easy to get in their heads. habs in 6

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:36 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
I don't have the strength to face all of his fanboys so I didn't want to say anything before but this is so true. And not because of this prediction.

Also, why is that even a thread?

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:36 AM
BackBringCam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I think Bruins in 6 just because our forwards are not that great this year and some have had consistency issues. We're also missing Markov. Plekanec needs to finally be a beast in the playoffs. Gomez has been terrible all year, can he flip a switch? Cammy has been iffy, can he? Can AK produce well in the playoffs? How will our bottom 6 do with Pouliot/Desharnais in it?

Too many question marks... Boston doesn't have much except their PP/PK.Even with this prediction, I find it funny that each and every year the Habs get no respect in the regular season and then if they win in the playoffs it was luck.
Not sure what you mean here, maybe a typo, but the Bruins PP and PK has been brutal all year.

BackBringCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:40 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
what does it take?
Objectivity and looking at situations from a neutral perspective.

Michael Farber is a reporter, this guy is a fan with a press pass.

Old
04-13-2011, 09:49 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Objectivity and looking at situations from a neutral perspective.

Michael Farber is a reporter, this guy is a fan with a press pass.
There are no hockey reporters then. All of these guys have opinions, most of them are completely and utterly unprofessional.

Oh btw, Bruins in 3

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:59 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Habs in 6. No way this series ends in less than 6 games for either sides, Boston can win of course but its going to be grueling for them. Those who predict a sweep by Boston or them winning in 5 games should get a clue, theres no way this Habs team doesn't win at least 2 games, we match up very well vs Boston.

Its amazing how much the 7-0 loss convinced some people we can't beat Boston... Look at the games were both team play their systems, we win every time. The only other time we lost was 6-8, and we played the worst defensive hockey of the year that day (so did Boston, it was an entertaining game but terrible hockey).

When we play our game vs Boston, we win. Always had. Sure we got swept 2 years ago, we also had Laraque on the first line...

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:03 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
There are no hockey reporters then. All of these guys have opinions, most of them are completely and utterly unprofessional.

Oh btw, Bruins in 3
Where did I mention the word "opinion" in any of my posts?