HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards news thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2011, 09:41 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
No way I give Richards a 7 year contract unless it is under 6 million/season. I'm done with these 6.5-7 million dollar cap hits for older players(Drury, Redden).
I understand how you feel, even though I disagree. Brad Richards is a bonafide elite player. Both Drury and Redden were never elite, yet got paid as such. Drury should have gotten about $5M/year (still would have been a bad signing, but noone could have seen this dramatic a decline coming) and Redden's play was already starting to drop off the face of the earth. Richards has been over a PPG player on some pretty mediocre Stars teams over the length of his 4-year contract.

Brad Richards would not be a typical Sather FA blunder. We've gotten burned because we didn't go after elite players, we went after that next tier and paid them like they were elite.

GET IT DONE SLATS!

Old
04-13-2011, 09:48 AM
xxxZENxxx

My guess is that BR ends up with the same contract Gaborik signed. If he wants wants more years, he is going to have to take much less money a year. But either way, it just seems like he is a perfect fit here.

Old
04-13-2011, 09:49 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
I understand how you feel, even though I disagree. Brad Richards is a bonafide elite player. Both Drury and Redden were never elite, yet got paid as such. Drury should have gotten about $5M/year (still would have been a bad signing, but noone could have seen this dramatic a decline coming) and Redden's play was already starting to drop off the face of the earth. Richards has been over a PPG player on some pretty mediocre Stars teams over the length of his 4-year contract.

Brad Richards would not be a typical Sather FA blunder. We've gotten burned because we didn't go after elite players, we went after that next tier and paid them like they were elite.

GET IT DONE SLATS!
True, he is now. But at age 31 (in less than 3 weeks) how long will he continue to be? I don't think many of us are completely opposed to having him sign...but we shudder to think what the ramifications (both in cap hit and performance on the ice) will be when he's 35, 36, 37 years old.

Old
04-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Guess we we'll pretend Drury is the exception to that rule. lol
Brad Richards' NHL totals are 220G, 496A for 716P in 772GP. He's a career .93PPG player with 2.25 assists for every goal he's scored.

Chris Drury's NHL totals are 255G, 360A for 615P in 892GP. He's a career .69PPG player with 1.41 assists for every goal he's scored.

It's easy to see which is a playmaker and which is not.

Old
04-13-2011, 09:56 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:

GET IT DONE SLATS!
I totally understand how good Richards is. I actually REALLY like him as a player. However, Drury is 34 right now and he has been declining for a couple of seasons. Now we are talking about giving a 31 year old Richards a 7 year contract!?

Even if Richards is THAT much better than Drury, you are telling me Brad will keep up his pace from earlier in his career as he reaches 35, 36 and 37? Will he be worth 6.5 million at age 36? What if he has another concussion? These HAVE to factor into his next contract.

Old
04-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
True, he is now. But at age 31 (in less than 3 weeks) how long will he continue to be? I don't think many of us are completely opposed to having him sign...but we shudder to think what the ramifications (both in cap hit and performance on the ice) will be when he's 35, 36, 37 years old.
You can't hit a home run if you don't swing the bat.

But seriously, I'm willing to take the chance on Richards given his history. We have enough young talent making its way onto the team that even if Richards doesn't perform up to expectations for the length of his contract, we should still be fine.

As long as Richards' production doesn't take a Drury-like nosedive, which there is no reason to think it would, I can live with the results.

The chance that we could have an elite playmaker on our team outweighs the potential risk IMHO. The hole Brad Richards would fill on this team is the hardest hole to fill on any team in the NHL, especially given that we never pick very high in the draft. If he can be had for just money, you do everything in your power to get it done unless his demands are ridiculous to the point of hamstringing your team in the future.

Old
04-13-2011, 10:09 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
You can't hit a home run if you don't swing the bat.

But seriously, I'm willing to take the chance on Richards given his history. We have enough young talent making its way onto the team that even if Richards doesn't perform up to expectations for the length of his contract, we should still be fine.

As long as Richards' production doesn't take a Drury-like nosedive, which there is no reason to think it would, I can live with the results.

The chance that we could have an elite playmaker on our team outweighs the potential risk IMHO. The hole Brad Richards would fill on this team is the hardest hole to fill on any team in the NHL, especially given that we never pick very high in the draft. If he can be had for just money, you do everything in your power to get it done unless his demands are ridiculous to the point of hamstringing your team in the future.
I agree with just about all of that. I guess it's just the whole "those who fail to learn history are bound to repeat it" business that's haunting me. I mean we are just finally about to be free of the last of some of the worst NHL contracts of all time. Forgive me if I'm still a little gun-shy.

Old
04-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I totally understand how good Richards is. I actually REALLY like him as a player. However, Drury is 34 right now and he has been declining for a couple of seasons. Now we are talking about giving a 31 year old Richards a 7 year contract!?

Even if Richards is THAT much better than Drury, you are telling me Brad will keep up his pace from earlier in his career as he reaches 35, 36 and 37? Will he be worth 6.5 million at age 36? What if he has another concussion? These HAVE to factor into his next contract.
I really don't think Drury is a comparable to Richards. Drury's decline, while influenced by age, is largely due to how he plays the game IMO. I think if he wasn't out there being Hank's human shield on the PK night in and night out for years, his decline would have been far less dramatic. Still not worth $7M a year, but he was never worth that anyway, even in his prime.

Richards doesn't take the same amount of physical abuse that Drury does due to the different styles they have. Again, it is just my opinion, but I don't think Drury's situation is indicative of what we can reasonably expect from Richards. We shouldn't let the Drury contract make us gun shy about acquiring aging elite talent.

Old
04-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
I agree with just about all of that. I guess it's just the whole "those who fail to learn history are bound to repeat it" business that's haunting me. I mean we are just finally about to be free of the last of some of the worst NHL contracts of all time. Forgive me if I'm still a little gun-shy.
Believe me man, I hear you. If it was anyone else in this FA class, I would be right there with you. I guess I'm just a true believer in Brad Richards. Players of his caliber just aren't available very often. We have a golden opportunity because Dallas is completely inept. He would have been locked up long before his contract even expired if it wasn't such a circus there. It has me frothing at the mouth.

Old
04-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
6 years 6.5M sign me up.

I think Brad will continue to be an ELITE player until the age of 36. That would mean 1 year of him being sub-elite but still very good at the 6th year of the contract.

Old
04-13-2011, 10:19 AM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

I'd love to have Richards on this team I'd just rather have someone other than Glen Sather negotiating the contract.

Old
04-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
I'd love to have Richards on this team I'd just rather have someone other than Glen Sather negotiating the contract.
Maybe we can all gather around a table, light some candles, and channel Ken Holland's spirit into Slats' body for a couple hours.

Old
04-13-2011, 10:23 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Believe me man, I hear you. If it was anyone else in this FA class, I would be right there with you. I guess I'm just a true believer in Brad Richards. Players of his caliber just aren't available very often. We have a golden opportunity because Dallas is completely inept. He would have been locked up long before his contract even expired if it wasn't such a circus there. It has me frothing at the mouth.
True, legitimate 1st line centers are hard to come by. Hopefully he'll be willing to sign for 6.5 so we can find a way to re-up the rest of our core guys. It appears he has recovered from his concussion...so maybe that's one less thing to worry about.

Old
04-13-2011, 11:38 AM
jdhebner
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I really don't think Drury is a comparable to Richards. Drury's decline, while influenced by age, is largely due to how he plays the game IMO. I think if he wasn't out there being Hank's human shield on the PK night in and night out for years, his decline would have been far less dramatic. Still not worth $7M a year, but he was never worth that anyway, even in his prime.

Richards doesn't take the same amount of physical abuse that Drury does due to the different styles they have. Again, it is just my opinion, but I don't think Drury's situation is indicative of what we can reasonably expect from Richards. We shouldn't let the Drury contract make us gun shy about acquiring aging elite talent.
I think the only thing Brad Richards has in common with Chris Drury is personality.

Old
04-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nhl...ory?id=6344032

Brad Richards: 'Still kind of hesitant'

Dallas Stars center Brad Richards said he'll be patient now that the season is over and he ponders the possibility of becoming an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

"I'll talk with my family and start figuring it out," Richards said as he cleaned out his locker. "It's a little too early to kind of process. I have lots of time. There's no deadline until obviously July. Lots of time to sit down and ponder what's going to happen."

"Right now, there's no rush. There's nothing that's pressing me. I am going to try to see what happens. If there is no change, it doesn't mean I am leaving. I'll have to make a different type of decision at that time. Right now it doesn't look like it's going to be in place but, like I said, there's no deadline right now, so I can sit back. I am sure I will talk with Joe here in the next day or two and get a better idea. Then we'll wait and see."

Old
04-13-2011, 12:27 PM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredden View Post
Would love a 3 year deal worth 19 million. Any chance the firing of Crawford hinders a Richards decision to stay/leave.
Pure speculation on my part, but I can't see how Richards sees the firing as a good thing.

The firing coupled with the ownership problems only help Richards reach UFA, IMO.

I don't see how/why he signs a 3 yr deal though, just wishful thinking.

Old
04-13-2011, 12:30 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

please please please don't sign this guy as long as Gaborik is still here. 2 guys eating up 15 million of a team's cap is fine if both of those players are super durable and make that team an instant Stanley Cup favorite.

I don't even want to know how signing Richards would impact our salary situations down the road. Please keep building from within, and only add after we have a serious deep playoff run.

Old
04-13-2011, 12:39 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
please please please don't sign this guy as long as Gaborik is still here. 2 guys eating up 15 million of a team's cap is fine if both of those players are super durable and make that team an instant Stanley Cup favorite.

I don't even want to know how signing Richards would impact our salary situations down the road. Please keep building from within, and only add after we have a serious deep playoff run.
I'm all for building from within, but in this current state, the organization does not have any high end talent in the system. Once our "core" players are developed, that's when you acquire a player that fills a need.

Richards is a player who fills 2 of our major needs. Players of his caliber are not available very often, and you need to acquire them when you see the opportunity.

Old
04-13-2011, 12:40 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post

Richards is super durable, he's only had one significant injury in his career and it was a freak thing. If you are still worried about concussions, get over it already, he is 100% and has been playing very well.

Old
04-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBlueshirts View Post
Pure speculation on my part, but I can't see how Richards sees the firing as a good thing.

The firing coupled with the ownership problems only help Richards reach UFA, IMO.

I don't see how/why he signs a 3 yr deal though, just wishful thinking.
Crawford's a pretty crappy coach though so maybe it helps

Old
04-13-2011, 12:53 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
I'm all for building from within, but in this current state, the organization does not have any high end talent in the system. Once our "core" players are developed, that's when you acquire a player that fills a need.

Richards is a player who fills 2 of our major needs. Players of his caliber are not available very often, and you need to acquire them when you see the opportunity.

I know we don't have that high end talent, but only in extreme circumstances do you sign that talent as UFA. Not just because it's available.

If we one and done this playoffs, it doesn't matter that our core is coming of age… we need to continue to build and look to the future. Not every decent core of players eventually turns into a serious Cup contender.

15m wrapped up between Richards and a guy who may never have an injury free season is a bad start to any cap situation. we're talking losing lots of core players down the road, and having very high turnover in our bottom 6 and bottom pairing D over that time.

We're just sneaking into the playoffs this season. Richards is a piece that probably allows us to compete for the conference lead, but only if Gabby is healthy, otherwise we're still middling in the 5-10 spots.

A team like MOntreal is primed to add a 7m guy if the opportunity struck. They've had a deep run in the playoffs last year, and finished just below the division leaders. Adding a star makes them a conference favorite.

I know "high end talent" sounds like a great thing to have, but if the price tag forces us into retooling every year, and forces us to loose future pieces… only to struggle for a 2 or 3 standing spot boost then IMHO it's not worth it.

Old
04-13-2011, 01:00 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Richards is super durable, he's only had one significant injury in his career and it was a freak thing. If you are still worried about concussions, get over it already, he is 100% and has been playing very well.
The point of Richards is bringing him in to play with Gabby right? I mean if Gabby is injured Richards doesn't alone make this team a conference favorite.

And Richards may not have a history of concussions, but I've done a pretty significant amount of research into Judo concussions, and one concussion is a "history" when it's anything close to moderate. And moderate is exactly what he appeared to have. Headache and a little nausea, but no dizziness or sensitivity to light.

15m and 5 or 6 years between 2 guys decides the NYR fate over the next decade and beyond. Gaborik and Richards are not the combo in my opinion

Old
04-14-2011, 07:57 AM
Vitto79

Is it bad I am thinking about the 1st day of FA even with the Rangers in the playoffs?

I just think realistically this team is on the right track but they need that top C to compliment the others

Some like it and some do not but we all know they are going to make a run at BR because Torts believes in the guy and well the Rangers need a #1 C and a guy who can help the PP

If we had Richards it would make Anisimov, Stepan alot better. That's a nice top 3 C's

Still unsure about Boyle being legit or not. I want him back but hope he gets something like 2 yrs - 3 million. I also think he would be better on LW on the 3rd line and they get a vet faceoff 4th line C for a reasonable price

Old
04-14-2011, 05:43 PM
DekeR

With Richards in place we bring a piece that is lacking to the table, a player that causes this team to move forward instead of staying stagnant. I am not saying once Richards becomes a part of this team that all is fulfilled. I just want this team to move forward as every team should-by adding pieces that eventually makes this team a contender and not an also ran. JMO.

Old
04-14-2011, 05:53 PM
broadwayblue

Richards article in todays Dallas Morning News.

Some tidbits:

"It just makes everything smoother," Richards said of strong ownership. "You are competing against teams that are going to spend $63 million next year, teams that are in the playoffs now that are Cup contenders and are going to be just as good or better next year. We've got to compete with that. That starts with ownership, and that's why it's on my mind and that's why I'm asking questions."

"If there is no change, it doesn't mean I'm leaving, it just means I'll have to make a different kind of decision at that time," Richards said of the Stars. "This is a great bunch of guys. It's as close a room as I've ever played in. We kept together in here, and there's a lot of good friendships. It's going in the right direction, that's for sure."

For the Stars, the decision isn't so easy, either. Richards, who will turn 31 on May 2, will likely seek a contract for five years or more. He made $7.8 million last season, and while he will probably take a pay cut, the process will include a lower cap hit for more years. That means there is little chance you will get him for say five years at $6 million a season. If you want $6 million, you'll probably have to go to seven years.

As for Richards' concussion, he admitted that it affected him quite a bit when he returned to play. He said he believes having some time away from the rink will help him.

"I think the next month or so will probably be good for everything in my head," he said. "Coming back and trying to get into the intensity of the battle was tough, because in the back of your mind if you're hit again and you have another one, then you have two in one year. There's no excuses, but in the next month or so of not playing I'll probably be feeling a little better."

Closed Thread