HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pronger confident he'll play against Sabres

Old
04-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpuckpro View Post
I'm surprised at the Pronger bashing, either my sarcasm radar is broken or I missed something, because I can't imagine a team in the playoffs not wanting Pronger on the bench even at half strength.
Yeah, its sarcasm/trolling

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Snipsnap12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Agreed. Sabres speed is going to burn Pronger if he can't clutch and grab. That's all he's good for really
He blocks shots, his reach covers a huge area, none of the midgets sabres will have a chance to stand in front of the net with him in there, he wacks, elbows, chops, and drives top players nuts. His QB skills on the powerplay are calming and top flite, he is a vocal leader on the bench, and can slow or speed up the game by himself. We want pronger in the lineup, and sabres dont.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:24 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

DOUBTFUL for Game 1

As per TSN:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=362000

Quote:
Reports indicate that Flyers defenceman Chris Pronger will not play in Game 1 of Philadelphia's first round matchup with the Sabres.

According to Philadelphia radio station WIP and the Delaware County Times, Pronger is slated to skate Wednesday and take shots Thursday and Friday, which also puts his Game 2 status in jeopardy.

Pronger has been out since March 8 with a hand injury.

The reports also said that Pronger will not receive a cortisone shot for his injured hand. Primarily used to reduce swelling, it is not believed that the shot will help Pronger's rehabilitation.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-12-2011 at 11:30 PM.
dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:46 AM

vCash: 50
Ok, now the question must be asked.

Why was there a week between his last game and the surgery?

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 07:58 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Ok, now the question must be asked.

Why was there a week between his last game and the surgery?
Because X-rays were negative.
When it was still bothering him, I think they did an MRI which revealed the fracture.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:15 AM
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis

c'mon guys who cares if he slowed down a bit...he is the best defenseman of the last decade

he plays 30 min per game and has a huge impact when the playoffs come. I honestly dont think we would have made the finals last year without him..

Chris Pronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:39 AM
Cartsiephan*

Keep him out for the series, with the leadership and skill on this team they should not need him in beating the Sabres. Next round would be the proper time to bring him back after working on shooting and his timing.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:50 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Because X-rays were negative.
When it was still bothering him, I think they did an MRI which revealed the fracture.
Honestly, I hate hearing crap like that though. Why not do an MRI the next day if there's always stuff x-rays can't see clearly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Keep him out for the series, with the leadership and skill on this team they should not need him in beating the Sabres. Next round would be the proper time to bring him back after working on shooting and his timing.
While this might be a fun idea in principle, it's not like we're not going to miss him. The whole "we should be good enough without him" thing is cute, but it hasn't been working lately. If the other guys flip the switch without him, fantastic. But if we're 0-2 or even 1-1 going back to Buffalo, we need him to play through the pain and get back out there to give us the edge.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:54 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
While this might be a fun idea in principle, it's not like we're not going to miss him. The whole "we should be good enough without him" thing is cute, but it hasn't been working lately. If the other guys flip the switch without him, fantastic. But if we're 0-2 or even 1-1 going back to Buffalo, we need him to play through the pain and get back out there to give us the edge.
Obviously it all depends on the first 2 games. Pronger's injury makes winning the first two games all the more crucial.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:17 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpuckpro View Post
I can't imagine a team in the playoffs not wanting Pronger on the bench even at half strength.
That's the thing, I do want him on the bench, just not on the ice.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:25 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Obviously it all depends on the first 2 games. Pronger's injury makes winning the first two games all the more crucial.
Big injury for you guys but no bigger than us being out Derek Roy, Jordon Leopold, Jochen Hecht and Mike Grier (he barely counts.)
Pronger can't play if he can't hold a stick and shoot. I hate him but Pronger is a gamer, he'd play if he could. I bet even freezing won't help or he'd do it.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:32 AM
duffy9748

Passing and stickhandling today according Carchidi.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:34 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

I think to be safe game 2. I don't think the depth of the Sabres is a concern for us, as they lack it.

IF we can get to Miller early - and we have before - we will take game one and Prongs will be back for game 2.

Old
04-13-2011, 09:34 AM

Pronger's return would have been bigger than just his ability. The lift it would have given the team would have been massive. Now we're the same half-assed lazy team that we've been for months and I'm not in the slightest bit confident.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Honestly, I hate hearing crap like that though. Why not do an MRI the next day if there's always stuff x-rays can't see clearly?

If this team cannot beat the Sabres without him they do not deserve to make it to the next round.

Old
04-13-2011, 10:38 AM
ShotScore*

Quote:
If this team cannot beat the Sabres without him they do not deserve to make it to the next round.
Agree. That being said, my big fear for this series is the Ryan Miller factor.

One or two saves he has no business in the world making, and he could be in our heads for the entire series.

That is another plus of having an elite goaltender. A lesson obviously lost on Holmgren.

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Agreed. Lavi needs to think of ways to compensate for his loss. If he can't figure out Buffalo they shouldn't be moving on and he shouldn't be here.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:56 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

^^ They beat them early in the season with Miller in net and the team was excited to play... I expect them to beat Buffalo in a 7 game set.
Altho, they had Pronger I do expect them to play better in all aspects....

Old
04-13-2011, 11:01 AM
duffy9748

Pretty pathetic by our medical staff. Letting him come back one extra week early to skate turned a 3-4 week injury into a 5-6 week injury.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 11:07 AM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan182018 View Post
c'mon guys who cares if he slowed down a bit...he is the best defenseman of the last decade

he plays 30 min per game and has a huge impact when the playoffs come. I honestly dont think we would have made the finals last year without him..
Neither would have Edmonton and the Ducks wouldn't have won it without him either.

Old
04-13-2011, 11:18 AM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Pronger's return would have been bigger than just his ability. The lift it would have given the team would have been massive. Now we're the same half-assed lazy team that we've been for months and I'm not in the slightest bit confident.
Absolutely.

His mere presence is a factor. He is one of the most intimidating sights on the blue line the game has ever seen.

He can influence a game just by being.

Not too many players in the history of the game that can be said about.

Old
04-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
Agree. That being said, my big fear for this series is the Ryan Miller factor.

One or two saves he has no business in the world making, and he could be in our heads for the entire series.

That is another plus of having an elite goaltender. A lesson obviously lost on Holmgren.
Ryan Miller should not be the excuse for this team either. This team is top to bottom better than the Sabres(minus the goalie tandem), the only way this team loses is because they get outworked by a team who wins with effort. Pronger is a difference maker in the next round.

Old
04-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Agreed. Lavi needs to think of ways to compensate for his loss. If he can't figure out Buffalo they shouldn't be moving on and he shouldn't be here.
And neither should Cartsie and Richie, give the leasdership roles ot JvR and Giroux.

Old
04-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
Pretty pathetic by our medical staff. Letting him come back one extra week early to skate turned a 3-4 week injury into a 5-6 week injury.
Reports were that Pronger made the decision to take shots, he was cleared and the aggravation to the injury was a previous surgery and a plate which was already in place. Kind of heresay on this, just going on some things I have read.

Old
04-13-2011, 11:26 AM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Ryan Miller should not be the excuse for this team either. This team is top to bottom better than the Sabres(minus the goalie tandem), the only way this team loses is because they get outworked by a team who wins with effort. Pronger is a difference maker in the next round.
I'm not trying to make excuses Cartsie. I'm saying it's a possibility that Miller becomes a factor and gets in our heads.

Yes, top to bottom we are undoubtedly a better team than Buffalo.

Except goaltending.

It could be all the difference in a series.