HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why not get rid of MDZ

Old
04-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
even after this season i sitll think the kid is going to win a norris at some point in his career
Surely, he's got a long way to go.

..naw, but on a serious note - he's got a ton of upside and it's been touched upon by a plethora of users already, but we're quick to forget he's just 20 years old. Give him a little (or even a lot) more time to develop, defense is literally the hardest position to perfect in hockey.

I've got faith that not only will he make the squad next year, but it will be a complete 180 from what he exhibited this year and turn some heads. Anyone knows if he's training with Gary Roberts again in the off-season?

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Chalfdiggity3

Look i dont understand why everyone is freaking out about listening to offers for MDZ. Im NOT looking to trade him and think he will be a very talented offensive player and he is only 20. Id like to keep him but honestly like ive been saying the ENTIRE TIME, is that if we can trade MDZ along with Wolski and some other decent options in the package for a TOP LINE PLAYER. It gives us two top line wingers, and the capspace to resign our RFA's and going and signing Brad Richards.

We have a ton of good prospects on defense who from what i have seen Kundratek and V-Tank are both ready for NHL action. V-Tank has a booming shot that in preseason was very able to get through the defense and on net. Kundratek is solid in both sides of the puck as well. Not saying we dont want or need MDZ, what im advocating is that we have a TON of defensive prospects who will be comming up soon, and if trading MDZ with Wolski nets us a top line winger then im all for it.

top winger - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Cally
Zucca - Stepan - Blank
Prust - Boyle - Feds

Staal Girardi
Sauer Mcd
V-Tank/Pashnin/Kundratek/FA

Idk bout you guys but that team looks prime for the stanley cup

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Dubinsky Richards Zuccarello
Prospal Stepan Gaborik
Kreider Anisimov Callahan
Hagelin Boyle Prust

Staal Girardi
McDonagh Sauer
Del Zotto Eminger
Vet 7th
Zucc on the first line over Gabby? Funny.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
Look i dont understand why everyone is freaking out about listening to offers for MDZ. Im NOT looking to trade him and think he will be a very talented offensive player and he is only 20. Id like to keep him but honestly like ive been saying the ENTIRE TIME, is that if we can trade MDZ along with Wolski and some other decent options in the package for a TOP LINE PLAYER. It gives us two top line wingers, and the capspace to resign our RFA's and going and signing Brad Richards.

We have a ton of good prospects on defense who from what i have seen Kundratek and V-Tank are both ready for NHL action. V-Tank has a booming shot that in preseason was very able to get through the defense and on net. Kundratek is solid in both sides of the puck as well. Not saying we dont want or need MDZ, what im advocating is that we have a TON of defensive prospects who will be comming up soon, and if trading MDZ with Wolski nets us a top line winger then im all for it.

top winger - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Cally
Zucca - Stepan - Blank
Prust - Boyle - Feds

Staal Girardi
Sauer Mcd
V-Tank/Pashnin/Kundratek/FA

Idk bout you guys but that team looks prime for the stanley cup
And why would any team trade us a proven young top line winger for MDZ at his lowest value and an underacheiving winger?

Section 409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:11 PM
pld459666

I would trade MDZ and our 1st if we could get a Huberdeau/Strome/Couturier

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 409 View Post
And why would any team trade us a proven young top line winger for MDZ at his lowest value and an underacheiving winger?
First off anyone who isnt stupid can see the potential of MDZ and that his 40pt rookie season isnt a fluke. He has alot of trade value regardless of what you or I think. Wolski is a great talent and has value as well, yes he hasnt really put it together here but then again how can you when your playing with rookies or guys who dont play his style of game. Right now he is really clicking with Prust and Boyle and i love that line. Seems to have found his niche. Then you add alittle more to it say another prospect, and our 2 2nd round picks.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
First off anyone who isnt stupid can see the potential of MDZ and that his 40pt rookie season isnt a fluke. He has alot of trade value regardless of what you or I think. Wolski is a great talent and has value as well, yes he hasnt really put it together here but then again how can you when your playing with rookies or guys who dont play his style of game. Right now he is really clicking with Prust and Boyle and i love that line. Seems to have found his niche. Then you add alittle more to it say another prospect, and our 2 2nd round picks.
That's great that Wolski and Del Zotto have potential, but putting that to use is going to be in question for the other team, is it not? Why would Team A trade us a top line winger for two players who are not proven?

And as for adding another prospect, who? Team A is is going to want a first round pick for a top line winger.

Old
04-13-2011, 12:22 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Being traded 3 times in 2 years won't help Woksi's value.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:29 PM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
As others have said, both now and in the previous months when some were advocating trading DZ for Richards, it's not like we are brimming with offensive defensemen in the system. And Del Zotto is still too young to write off.

There's no way you can come close to competing for a cup in this league without having an offensive defensemen who can pass the puck with ease. That's a major hole that cannot go unfulfilled. I truly believe our defense's transition game, as of right now, is one of the biggest weaknesses on this team. It's part of the reason why this team struggles so much on the power play and matches up poorly against trap teams. However, we've seen that Del Zotto's breakout passes can work effectively when he times it appropriately and uses his head. His potential as a defenseman with a great first pass is why they cannot give up on him so quickly.

So true... Del Zotto is currently the only player in our system capable of filling this role. I'm hoping we can add another in this year's draft. You can have all the scoring forwards you want, but without a threat from the backline, your offense will sputter.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Dorado*

Busty Mc Belak and Michael del Turnover , oh the future is so bright . We are destined to dump in chase for enternity .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Busty Mc Belak and Michael del Turnover , oh the future is so bright . We are destined to dump in chase for enternity .
You can always root for the Islander or the Devils.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:16 PM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:
Yes, because if your 20 and not dominating the NHL yet, you're finished.

Old
04-13-2011, 04:04 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Yes clearly if 1 20 year old doesn't play well in the NHl the whole system is crap lol wow you have no clue what you are talking about. Do you even know what a puck is? See I can severely overexaggerate a criticism too

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:09 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Im shocked Girardi is even in this discussion.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:49 AM
dccuse

The Importance of MDZ

The most glaring problem for us last night, in my mind, was the inability to maintain puck control through the neutral zone and into the capitals defensive zone. Seemingly, 9 out of 10 times we'd start with a lateral pass through our zone followed by a short pass to a winger sitting along the neutral zone boards. The caps would send two forwards to press from opposite angles with a D-man gaurding the lane and we'd be cooked.

We couldn't generate any offense and the repetition made the burden even more taxing on our top 4 d-men. The whole time, i kept thinking how valuable Del Zotto's breakout passes of last year would have been in this situation. None of our D had the confidence to rush the puck and look for an open man north of the blue line. In fact, the only time i recall such a play was when henrik hit someone on the top of the left boards (maybe it was prospal). Instead, we relied on Gabby getting feeds around the blue line and aiming for his patented "tip it off the boards and around and chase" which failed to succeed.

There is a lot of talk of Brad Richards on this board and he'd certainly be a nice addition. Maybe having Avery in the lineup would have provided some more energy and some toughness. Maybe dressing eminger instead of Zucc would have taken some of the burden off of Stall, Girardi, McD and Sauer. Maybe Dubinsky could have played more of his puck posession style that was so successful this year.

But, in retrospect, the feature most absent from our attack was the quick breakout pass. Without it, the Caps young d-men were hardly ever forced to make the same crucial decisions that our young d-man were forced to (and fortunately succeeded in doing) time and time again. And for that reason, i truly hope that in the coming year(s), Del Zotto can fill that role for us and chide any and all of those board members willing and in some cases eager to abandon hope.

My 2 Cents - sorry for the rant.

dccuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:20 AM
MorrisWanchuk

i disagree. Girardi & Staal are a shutdown pair. All the other 4 of our D that played last night can move the puck.

I am glad that MDZ is not playing - i can do without his abysmal turnovers when trying to make his hail mary break out passes.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:18 PM
bourgeoisie
Je suis Charlie

Quote:
This is..... nevermind.

All i know is that MDZ better get his **** together, because our transition game is awful. A better MDZ would be a godsend right about now. I am confident in the kid. It isn't uncommon for young defenseman to have an off year. He needs to keep his head in the right place, and it will fall together. He is very skilled, he just needs to make better decisions.

bourgeoisie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 08:31 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMMV View Post
Kid needs to develop. Not everyone can come out and dominate like a Crosby or Doughty. He is young, not a aged veteran. Give him time to learn the game and mature.

He had a great rookie season due to a hot scoring Gaborik. Also, once teams targeted him on the PP and learned to stop that home run pass to Gaborik, his point total dropped.
And you are aware many of the goals Gaborik scored with MDZ invloved were a direct result of MDZ. Noone on the team was able to complete the type of passes he was able to.

This year he was overthinking every pass and it was painfully obvious. He was forcing plays that came naturally last year. The kid has talent. He just needs to adjust not force things. It will come with maturity and development.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote