HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 1: Detroit vs. Phoenix

View Poll Results: Who wins and in how many games?
Detroit in 4 8 5.80%
Detroit in 5 27 19.57%
Detroit in 6 72 52.17%
Detroit in 7 15 10.87%
Phoenix in 4 1 0.72%
Phoneix in 5 1 0.72%
Phoenix in 6 8 5.80%
Phoenix in 7 6 4.35%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Why not, even if it gets worse he will have all summer to recover, even if he completely torn his acl its 6months maximum and he wouldnt miss many games next season
Not everyone heals the same way, Zetterberg could need 24 months to get back to normal. Brenden Morrow took a full season after surgery to get back to how he's used to playing.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:10 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Since Z was invisible for most of the season ( ) his absence shouldn't be too much of a loss for the first round.

But seriously, the Wings can beat Phoenix without Z. I don't like making predictions but while the league is as close to parity as ever, I don't see Phoenix being better than the Wings.
Of course they CAN beat them without Z. But winning a playoff series has little to do with being the better team. We've seen that plenty of times. It's about being the better team that week and getting the breaks. The Wings are going to have to really crank it up and hope they don't have 10 goals waved off.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Marky9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwings85 View Post
By reading the article on NHL.com regarding Z... I got a feeling he's done for the playoffs... but just doesn't want to say it... wearing a knee brace is never a good sign... Coming back too early, is just calling upon further injury.
Three words: don't stop believing. Alternatively: beer, barbecue, rock.

I've decided this is a special time of year and I'm going to enjoy it for what it really is.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Of course they CAN beat them without Z. But winning a playoff series has little to do with being the better team. We've seen that plenty of times. It's about being the better team that week and getting the breaks. The Wings are going to have to really crank it up and hope they don't have 10 goals waved off.
I don't think I could ever go into the playoffs thinking that nothing matters except luck.

Old
04-13-2011, 09:19 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

If a few guys wake up and play solid hockey, we can beat Phoenix without Z. Heck, you could beat pretty much anyone if you get 100+% from all the guys and get a few breaks. History has seen some pretty damn average teams making runs.

However, I think our chances aren't that great, with or without Z, primarily because I'm not sure if we'll get that right sort of performances from a few players. Even with Z we could look like utter crap if the Modanos and Hudlers of the world don't contribute.

TheMoreYouKnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:23 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
I don't think I could ever go into the playoffs thinking that nothing matters except luck.
Well, not all about luck, but luck is a big part of it. And the 96 Senators could beat the 85 Oilers in a series if they played their best and the Oilers were flat. That's the other part of it.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Well, not all about luck, but luck is a big part of it. And the 96 Senators could beat the 85 Oilers in a series if they played their best and the Oilers were flat. That's the other part of it.
Well, sure. And if Lidstrom/Datsyuk/Howard all get avian flu before game 2 we could lose the series as well.

I'm just saying in a regular series the Wings should beat Phoenix.

Old
04-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Hckytwn
FIRE HOLLAND NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
Unfortunately I think we will have to fight Bettman's referees. Some of the posters might not like I bring it up, but I think Bettman does not want the Wings to go deep and the refs know it. I just hope the officiating won't be as terrible as vs the Sharks last season.
The officiating in that Shark's series really shocked me last year. It wasn't just bad, it was outrageous.

So, yeah, that concerns me too--especially after seeing both Draper and Franzen cut with high-sticks in the last week of the season, and no calls from the officials.

We've seen from his leaked emails how intimidating, biased and subversive Colin Campbell can be with Terry Gregson. Don't try to tell me that doesn't affect the way Gregson runs his refs...

Hckytwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:47 PM
NumberFive
Just a Schnook

Wings in 7; we'll win one at home, but that'll be it. The folks at JLA West will cheer us to victory in PHX.

Wish I could say the same about round 2. Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. I just haven't been thrilled with our defense/netminding combo this year.

NumberFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Darkhawk07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hckytwn View Post
The officiating in that Shark's series really shocked me last year. It wasn't just bad, it was outrageous.

So, yeah, that concerns me too--especially after seeing both Draper and Franzen cut with high-sticks in the last week of the season, and no calls from the officials.

We've seen from his leaked emails how intimidating, biased and subversive Colin Campbell can be with Terry Gregson. Don't try to tell me that doesn't affect the way Gregson runs his refs...
I've always kinda thought people tend to blow this conspiracy theory about Bettman hating the wings a little out of proportion. I'm sure every team thinks this when they get a a few bad calls, but after seeing the redicilous calls and non calls in both the 08 and 09 playoff finals against Pittsburg and last years horrible officiating against San Jose mostly on the part of Brad Watson if I remember correctly, you really have to start to wonder.

The pittsburg series were really obvious as, everyone knows Bettman is obsessed with marketing Crosby and wants him to be the face of the league. At one point the cameras panned up Bettman watching the game in 08 when the Pens were down in the series and down in the game and he looked furious.

My questiion is though, to those of you that believe Bettman is out to get the Wings, why do you think that is? I can't really disagree with it, but I can't figure out what his motivation would be.

The Detroit Red Wings are one of the most popular teams outside of its home state. You look around at all the away games and theirs usually a ton of red jerseys there, they sell redwings merchadise all around the other teams stadiums. Nashville and Phoenix esp. are like their 2nd/3rd homes, they usually drown out the home teams fans.The Wings have to make a lot of money for the league in terms of merchandising. A successful Detroit Redwings team should be very beneficial to the NHL.

The only thing that comes to mind is Chelios' borderlide threat against him in 94, but that was before he was in Detroit and he's long gone by now, so I really have no idea. I did love that interview though.

Darkhawk07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 10:01 AM
14ari13

Quote:
I, as the most posters, say the Wings in 6. The Wings might surprise and take it in 5 though.
I assume we will start the series with Kronwall back, but not Zetterberg. It will be good to have Eaves back as well.
Not many thought the Wings would win it in 4.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhawk07 View Post

My questiion is though, to those of you that believe Bettman is out to get the Wings, why do you think that is? I can't really disagree with it, but I can't figure out what his motivation would be.

The Detroit Red Wings are one of the most popular teams outside of its home state. You look around at all the away games and theirs usually a ton of red jerseys there, they sell redwings merchadise all around the other teams stadiums. Nashville and Phoenix esp. are like their 2nd/3rd homes, they usually drown out the home teams fans.The Wings have to make a lot of money for the league in terms of merchandising. A successful Detroit Redwings team should be very beneficial to the NHL.
Rumor around here was that after the Pens beat the Wings, Ilitch blew right past Bettman, and refused to shake his hand. I think in his haste to suck up to Mario, he failed to mention the Ilitches in any of his mandatory thank you's, and also was 'usually' in Mario's suite for the playoff games. Ilitch probably has a laundry list of things, including some of the issues with officiating, but there's the Octo-gate (which continues to this day-- banning of Octopus spinning by Al Sobotka), and the promise Bettman made to Ilitch that the Wings could go to the Eastern Conference if there's another alignment. The league has backpedaled on that matter in recent times.

Old
04-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
What happened to Franzen? I cant find anything related to why he didnt play last night..Skate off ankle in warmups?

info..anyone, please and thanks

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:43 AM
NumberFive
Just a Schnook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhawk07 View Post

The Detroit Red Wings are one of the most popular teams outside of its home state. You look around at all the away games and theirs usually a ton of red jerseys there, they sell redwings merchadise all around the other teams stadiums. Nashville and Phoenix esp. are like their 2nd/3rd homes, they usually drown out the home teams fans.The Wings have to make a lot of money for the league in terms of merchandising. A successful Detroit Redwings team should be very beneficial to the NHL

Since I tend to be one of the people who's most vocal against Buttman, here's a few comments:

--> When Crosby was first being drafted, Bettman lauded him as 'the next Gretsky...no, better than Gretsky'. To him, Crosby was going to take the NHL to new heights. When the lockout was over, Bettman praised Crosby as the key reason the fan base didn't erode like it did with baseball or basketball (like no one else could play the game, next to Sid the Kid). Detroit fans, who know hockey, know that 1) one player doth not a league make, and 2) Crosby. Is. Fallible. Bettman's constant ass-kissing to Crosby is a slap in the face to all NHL players, not just the Red Wings, and Wings fans hate Bettman for this. Bettman takes this personally, and lets the Wings fans know it.

--> Bettman has made some of the most bone-headed decisions the NHL has ever known. He's expanded the league to places only money-grubbers dream of. He's cheapened the sport. He's drawn closer and closer to making fighting illegal in the game (like it or not, it's part of the sport...take the debate to another thread). And, most of all, he was David Stern's best buddy. David Stern, as in "the NBA's" David Stern. A basketball guy, in charge of the NHL. Huh???

--> His TV decisions have been ridiculous. He more or less bought the OLN network (which I always referred to as the "Out To Lunch" network), and turned it into his baby. Any time you watch VS games, you can just hear Bettman's influence in the commentary. NHL commercials show Crosby as, as you put it, "the face of the NHL".

All these things thoroughly disgust me. The NHL is packed full of talented players. Bettman only gives these players their due when they win a Cup, or when they're elected to the Hall of Fame. Apart from that, it's "Sidney, Sidney, Sidney," while slowly but surely whittling away at the tradition of the sport in favor of more ratings, more money, more power. NASCAR's doing the same thing, but that's a topic for another board.

I get sick of it, and I think most Red Wings fans do, too. And as I mentioned, Buttman takes it to heart, and responds in kind. And even though the Wings may have a strong following outside of Detroit, those that aren't are very anti-Wings. These past few years, the Wings have become the Yankees of the NHL - the team that's always dangerous, always in the hunt, always a winner, the team that everyone wants to beat. With Bettman taking a similar tone, that would endear him to the hearts of those fans across the continent...except Detroit, of course.

My opin! FWIW.

NumberFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Osgood As It Gets
The Underdog

vCash: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddy View Post
What happened to Franzen? I cant find anything related to why he didnt play last night..Skate off ankle in warmups?

info..anyone, please and thanks
This is what (little) I could find.

Quote:
They will have more than a week off. Wings coach Mike Babcock said of Franzen (ankle) and Zetterberg: “Oh, they’ll be ready to go.”

Then he said: “Obviously we’re a way better team if we’ve got Mule and Z.”
http://www.freep.com/article/2011042...st-finish-line

Osgood As It Gets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:46 AM
aar000n

Yes his ankle didn't fe right after the warmup skate.
I think we will play Nashville or the ducks next round. Whil La has to get over blowing a four goal lead they also played good enough to have it ro begin with so I think LA vs vancouver and Detroit nash or ann because that series will go 7.

aar000n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
Thanks for the information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzening Frank View Post
This is what (little) I could find.
http://www.freep.com/article/2011042...st-finish-line

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:32 PM
chances14

franzen tweaked his ankle when he went into the boards in game 2. he didn't look right in game 3 either. rest couldn't have come at a better time

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:18 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chances14 View Post
franzen tweaked his ankle when he went into the boards in game 2. he didn't look right in game 3 either. rest couldn't have come at a better time
Are he and Z going to be ready for round 2?

Old
04-21-2011, 02:22 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Are he and Z going to be ready for round 2?
Z was already looking good and Franzen will have a week for a minor ankle sprain. I would be shocked if we didn't see both for game one.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:25 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Z was already looking good and Franzen will have a week for a minor ankle sprain. I would be shocked if we didn't see both for game one.
Thanks.
When was Z actually injured?

Old
04-21-2011, 02:28 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Thanks.
When was Z actually injured?