HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Was this Lundqvist's best season to date? Henrik Lundqvist discussion thread

Old
04-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Richard Brads

vCash: 500
talk him up boys, that'll just increase his trade value for the off season

Richard Brads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:59 PM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
Originally Posted by WojtekGoalski View Post
I say this from a goaltending background and probably as one of the biggest Hank supporters there are, but putting stats aside, no he did not have his best season as a Ranger. He had a stellar season no doubt, but not his best as a Ranger. From a technical standpoint Hank fought with himself a bit for much of the year IMO. Hank's style is one that sacrifices depth (cutting down the angle) for the ability to make lateral saves much easier. This is why in seasons past you've seen Hank make ridiculous cross-crease saves. Hank gets away with this by having great reflexes, almost perfect positioning, and just being a naturally big guy. However from what I saw, his lateral movement this year hasn't been what it was in years past in regards to quickness and form. I honestly think that having Biron to start more games threw off Hank's rythym a little bit this season because he was so used to being in there to start just about every game. Hopefully as a result of that he'll be fresher this year for the playoffs. We shall see.
I agree with everything you said, except I don't think Biron playing so many games was the reason. Hank still ended up playing 65+ games this year.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Jersey Girl

Interesting stuff on the main board. There is a thread that ranks the goalies in the Eastern Conference playoffs, and while some opinions vary wildly (Tim Thomas in particular), an argument can definitely be made that the ranking of the goalies is:

Lundqvist
Miller
Price
Fleury
Smith
Thomas
Bob/Leighton
Neuvirth

Obviously there can be much debate about the particular order, but what's interesting about this order? It's in reverse order of the standings. Hmmmm.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Interesting stuff on the main board. There is a thread that ranks the goalies in the Eastern Conference playoffs, and while some opinions vary wildly (Tim Thomas in particular), an argument can definitely be made that the ranking of the goalies is:

Lundqvist
Miller
Price
Fleury
Smith
Thomas
Bob/Leighton
Neuvirth

Obviously there can be much debate about the particular order, but what's interesting about this order? It's in reverse order of the standings. Hmmmm.
Meaning Lundqvist #1? Find that hard to believe. I'd be surprised if he is a vezina candidate this year.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Meaning Lundqvist #1? Find that hard to believe. I'd be surprised if he is a vezina candidate this year.
Yeah, there are also a number of rankings that have Miller or Price as #1, but Hank is always at or near the top. Just brought up that particular ranking because it's interesting that the goalies are ranked in inverse order of their playoff position.

And keep in mind, this is only Eastern Conference.

Old
04-13-2011, 11:22 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
There's a difference between being the best goalie in the league and having the best season. Most knowledgeable fans around the league acknowledge that Hank has been the one of the two best goalies (the other being Luongo) since the lockout despite his lack of hardware. Others have had better individual seasons, but those two are the ones who bring it year in and year out.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

He had a really great season, I don't get the h8te.

Thomas had a ridiculous season and deserves to win.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:36 PM
His Beardliness
#SireBabcock

vCash: 1125
Quote:
I say this from a goaltending background and probably as one of the biggest Hank supporters there are, but putting stats aside, no he did not have his best season as a Ranger. He had a stellar season no doubt, but not his best as a Ranger. From a technical standpoint Hank fought with himself a bit for much of the year IMO. Hank's style is one that sacrifices depth (cutting down the angle) for the ability to make lateral saves much easier. This is why in seasons past you've seen Hank make ridiculous cross-crease saves. Hank gets away with this by having great reflexes, almost perfect positioning, and just being a naturally big guy. However from what I saw, his lateral movement this year hasn't been what it was in years past in regards to quickness and form. I honestly think that having Biron to start more games threw off Hank's rythym a little bit this season because he was so used to being in there to start just about every game. Hopefully as a result of that he'll be fresher this year for the playoffs. We shall see.
It's not about how many games he played. It's about how many games he played in a row, without a chance to recover. If anything he should be more tired this year because of that.

His Beardliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:09 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
There's a difference between being the best goalie in the league and having the best season. Most knowledgeable fans around the league acknowledge that Hank has been the one of the two best goalies (the other being Luongo) since the lockout despite his lack of hardware. Others have had better individual seasons, but those two are the ones who bring it year in and year out.
Exactly. I take Hank over any goalie in the Eastern Conference. Hell, i'd take Hank over any goalie in the NHL. Yes, even Thomas.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:14 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Exactly. I take Hank over any goalie in the Eastern Conference. Hell, i'd take Hank over any goalie in the NHL. Yes, even Thomas.
Thomas benefits from playing on a team that is loaded on D. You may easily get another 10 years out of Lundqvist; Thomas would be 47.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:20 PM
DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
I agree with everything you said, except I don't think Biron playing so many games was the reason. Hank still ended up playing 65+ games this year.
This is the first season since 05 06 that hank hasn't played at least 70 games. More of what I meant though was that this year the rangers had a backup they had full confidence in and showed that by playing him as much as they did in the begging and middle of the season. Had he not gotten hurt hank would have started much less than 68 games

DelZottoHitTheNetJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Lundqvist brings it consistently every year. That I don't doubt (or anyone for that matter). He is definitely within top-3 in that category since the lockout. That being said, there are usually a few goalies each year that surpass Lundqvist stats-wise, but may not do it every year like Lundqvist does, like you're saying.

This year, you have to include Rinne and Thomas in the vezina talk (though Thomas hasn't played as many games), Luongo, Lundqvist, and Price. There might be 1 or 2 more I'm missing.

I think Rinne should take it this year. One of the only reasons Nashville holds the #5 spot. Thomas can too, but for some reason I can't grasp the fact that he doesn't play a 70-game or so regular season like most starting goalies.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:40 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Lundqvist brings it consistently every year. That I don't doubt (or anyone for that matter). He is definitely within top-3 in that category since the lockout. That being said, there are usually a few goalies each year that surpass Lundqvist stats-wise, but may not do it every year like Lundqvist does, like you're saying.

This year, you have to include Rinne and Thomas in the vezina talk (though Thomas hasn't played as many games), Luongo, Lundqvist, and Price. There might be 1 or 2 more I'm missing.

I think Rinne should take it this year. One of the only reasons Nashville holds the #5 spot. Thomas can too, but for some reason I can't grasp the fact that he doesn't play a 70-game or so regular season like most starting goalies.
Right, I agree with the Vezina argument. But that's not what JerseyGirl was referring to when she was ranking the goalies (or relating how others ranked them). The discussion on the main board is who was the best (aka who would you most want between the pipes for your team in the playoffs). And for the purpose of that discussion, Thomas having to play every game is factoring heavily into a lot of people's decisions.

So yes, while Thomas had a better season, his past seasons and his consistency have some feeling that they'd rather have Hank.

And for what it's worth, I'm not sure why JerseyGirl had Thomas so low on her list. Looking over that thread, people who have him outside of the top 3 are few and far between.

Last edited by clmetsfan: 04-13-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old
04-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
And for what it's worth, I'm not sure why JerseyGirl had Thomas so low on her list. Looking over that thread, people who have him outside of the top 3 are few and far between.
I was just making a point that you could rank the goalies in inverse order of the standings and not be too far off. Obviously you could make an argument for Thomas (don't forget he lost his starting job last year), but there will be arguments with any goalie ranking.

The real point is that it's interesting that the best teams potentially have the shakiest goaltending. In many of the rankings Neuvirth and Bob/Leighton came out last or next to last.

Makes you wonder how important goaltending is.

Old
04-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Chimp

Quote:
This is the first season since 05 06 that hank hasn't played at least 70 games. More of what I meant though was that this year the rangers had a backup they had full confidence in and showed that by playing him as much as they did in the begging and middle of the season. Had he not gotten hurt hank would have started much less than 68 games
"Much less" is stretching it. Hank had to carry us into the playoffs, like every year. And we made it with the smallest of margins. I'm not so sure Biron would've started that many games in the last stretch. Was this Hank's best season? I don't know. It was a strong one for sure, but he's had some pretty excellent seasons before as well. An elite level level of consistency is what makes Hank great after all.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:29 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
I was just making a point that you could rank the goalies in inverse order of the standings and not be too far off. Obviously you could make an argument for Thomas (don't forget he lost his starting job last year), but there will be arguments with any goalie ranking.

The real point is that it's interesting that the best teams potentially have the shakiest goaltending. In many of the rankings Neuvirth and Bob/Leighton came out last or next to last.

Makes you wonder how important goaltending is.
Yeah, but he was hurt last year too. I don't disagree with the overall point, but anyone who ranks Thomas below Fleury or Smith heading into the playoffs has a screw loose.

Overall, I think the cases you mention are valid, but I think they speak more to the idea that you can get by in the regular season with average goaltending IF you have a stacked team of skaters as Washington and Philly do.

I think the fact that teams like the Rangers and Habs have managed to get in due almost entirely to their goaltending is just as telling, if not moreso.